2022 Coaching Carousel | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Coaching Carousel

Great for Matt McMahon. Gonna be a huge pay day for him. He deserves it. Best coach in Murray St history.
Hearing Murray’s old coach Steve Prohm is living in Murray. Could go right back.

You would think given Okie State's sanctions that Boynton would be interested. Does South Carolina not want him to return home?
It's gotta be that he, at some point, made it clear he's not interested - they would absolutely jump at the chance to get Boynton, especially having whiffed on their targets to this point

On paper this seems like a pretty bad hire by Maryland. But then again I thought Cronin was a bad hire for UCLA and he’s killed it there. Time will tell and we’ll likely know within the first 2 seasons
I'm sure most of these guys are adequate coaches who don't really standout until they're given the backing of a big machine which includes compliance, keeping kids eligible, and booster support. Xs and Os are one part of the gig. Willard has shown some, uh, ethical flexibility in getting kids to his program. Like, Bayside44 posted, give him Maryland's UA money and booster network, I'm sure he can make things happen.

I'm sure most of these guys are adequate coaches who don't really standout until they're given the backing of a big machine which includes compliance, keeping kids eligible, and booster support. Xs and Os are one part of the gig. Willard has shown some, uh, ethical flexibility in getting kids to his program. Like, Bayside44 posted, give him Maryland's UA money and booster network, I'm sure he can make things happen.

Now I'm going to look dumber than usual if he flops :)

Seems like our assistants are never involved during the game. Never up yelling or in JB’s ear telling him what they see. They just sit and talk to whoever is next to them.
Not saying the don’t serve a purpose but I just don’t think JB let’s them be as involved as they should be. Its no secret that he runs the show 100% especially since Hop left.
We also don’t have any guys known as recruiters.
So why would any team want any of our assistants as Head Coach?
It's easy. We aren't winning. When we were, our guys got Head coaching jobs. Pitino, Malone, Morgan, Murphy, Orr, Hopkins. They all got Head coaching jobs leaving here. We were winning. They didn't talk to Jb during the game.

as much as we will hate it, whenever JB leaves, whether that was after the Duke game last week, or in a year or two, he is going to be replaced by someone currently on staff. You can't tell me that the "plan" he talked about a couple of weeks ago is just a plan for his retirement date, it very likely is also the plan for who takes over and that would have to be a current staff member.
Someone already asked him about the "ironclad plan" and he clarified it saying it's the same plan that's been in place since he turned 50.

Interesting article about Kyle Smith and recruiting. If he used this approach at a bigger school and additionally landed one Top 60 kid a year, you would see sustained success.
Kyle Smith is a great X's and O's coach. Not much of a personality. Not sure how he would translate as the figure head of a big-time basketball school. Washington State is much different than a place like Syracuse.

That said, he's done a fantastic job. Just like he did at Columbia and then San Francisco (where he set the program up to be an at-large bid after being an afterthought in the WCC behind Gonzaga & Saint Mary's).

Not sure SU would take a chance on this sort of hire but I wouldn't mind it.

Ashley Howard, top recruiter for Villanova for a number of years and with many Philly connections, just let go as head coach at La Salle.

Boeheim would never do this, but he would be a perfect person to bring on staff to rev up the recruiting train - especially with his connection to Philly.

Langel to LaSalle, Autry to Colgate (with Trey), Ashley Howard to SU, Gerry to Assoc. HC.

Langel to LaSalle, Autry to Colgate (with Trey), Ashley Howard to SU, Gerry to Assoc. HC.
Autry wouldn’t take a paycut to coach Colgate.
Langel makes 300k to coach Colgate.

Plus Autry is associate HC he isn’t leaving for Colgate.
GMac might take it if he could get it.

Autry wouldn’t. Especially when Wildhack turned down GMac as HCIW.

4 Million bucks a year for a coach that's not better than the coach he is replacing. The remaining 50% of Terp fans that don't hate this yet will within a year or two.

As someone mentioned earlier. Syracuse has had its worst 8 year stretch in program history. Why would anyone looking to hire a Head Coach look at any of our assistance right now? We have not recruited well and we have not had great success on the court. Not to mention our assistance do little coaching on game days (even more evident when you see every other team in college basketball during the tournament having assistants and head coaches having detailed conversations). If I was hiring I wouldn’t even be looking at Syracuse assistance for all these reasons.

4 Million bucks a year for a coach that's not better than the coach he is replacing. The remaining 50% of Terp fans that don't hate this yet will within a year or two.

Becoming more like a professional sports program with a university attached to it.
$4M per year for a coach who has never won anything. Never been to a FF or even an elite 8. Now that's inflation.

Becker and the UVM AD we’re having burgers and a few beers at the bar we go to after hoops tonight. Looked like a strategy session or an exit interview. Got to chat with them a bit. Sometimes I love living in a small town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom