2022 Fall Ball

We won the first 14-12.
Lost the second 12-7

Will Mark did not play today.

Stats for 2nd
Kempney 1g
Simmons 1g
Spallina 5g 1 a

2nd game was mix of many player off the bench early and often.

The belief is that Caccamo will be good to go for the spring.

Not that it matters AT ALL, but our folks at the game say we won the Loyola scrimmage by one or two goals.
Loyola Score was 13-12 Cuse based on my count. I also verified independently with two separate Cuse Parents who had the same score. Also, if Will Marks is 88 per the Cuse.com roster, he did not play and was not one of the four goalies who warmed up for both games.

Finally, for whats it worth, High point had an amazing first half, I had it 10 to 1. May be a goal was waved off I missed…..but any way great ball movement, great shooting including btb shots and an assist. Cuse had at least three turnovers on the ride and next years nightmare scenario of only winning three face offs with our attack watching most off the first half then turning it over or taking bad shots when they finally got possession. Hiltz had a really bad first half with Highpoint, but with year off and a whole new team around him I am sure it was an outlier. Highpoint parents said they beat Villanova by around four in first game and did well on face offs as well. They were pretty wiry, but quick, fast and skilled. Got most of the loose balls. HP played mostly second unit per the parents in second half as did Cuse. Also Kirst played more in first half against HP and goalie had three saves against him including amazing bang bang door stop. HP looked line FF MD except for being much skinnier.

Welcome to D1 for our freshman. Hopefully will motivate them to work even harder this winter.

We won the first 14-12.
Lost the second 12-7

Stats for 2nd
Kempney 1g
Simmons 1g
Spallina 5g 1 a

Hell yes. Thank you sir. Upper body is better than lower body, despite what happened with Hiltz last year.

Ok just got word Will Mark is ineligible to play til spring. He practices with the team but couldn't play today. Once I find out why I'll let you guys know

I know Richie Lacalandra at Ohio State was ineligible to play last week to. The other transfers are grad students and Will Mark isn't so must be some kind of rules.

I know Richie Lacalandra at Ohio State was ineligible to play last week to. The other transfers are grad students and Will Mark isn't so must be some kind of rules.

Transcript issue?

Something with credits idk

Better than an injury.

With Thompson starting today I wonder if that means the plan is to redshirt McCool. I believe freshmen can play fall scrimmages and still redshirt but not spring ones. I could be wrong.

We won the first 14-12.
Lost the second 12-7

Stats for 2nd
Kempney 1g
Simmons 1g
Spallina 5g 1 a

Thanks for providing awesome info as always to the community

We won the first 14-12.
Lost the second 12-7

Stats for 2nd
Kempney 1g
Simmons 1g
Spallina 5g 1 a

So spalinna had 4 g 1 a first game & 5 g 1 a second game?

Ok just got word Will Mark is ineligible to play til spring. He practices with the team but couldn't play today. Once I find out why I'll let you guys know
My mistake for mentioning seeing him play. I thought it was him, so who ever played the in the quarter against Loyola - played well.

Better than an injury.

With Thompson starting today I wonder if that means the plan is to redshirt McCool. I believe freshmen can play fall scrimmages and still redshirt but not spring ones. I could be wrong.
you're correct. fall scrimms are free now, can still redshirt.

Better than an injury.

Yeah not sure if it’s worth reading into that or not. I’m sure whether he is better or worse than Thompson hasn’t been fully established yet. But it is certainly possible they intend to start Mark. Tough out there for a goalie

Sorry for the long post but my notes and thoughts from yesterday...

About what you'd expect from a fall scrimmage. Saw a lot of good and bad but my overall takeaway is that there is so much promising youth on this team, it's an exciting time.

Loyola - I know Loyola was missing some key players but SU offense seemed to have little trouble getting quality looks, despite their keeper(s) playing well. Defensively I thought they looked good in the 6v6 for the most part and a lot of Loyola's goals came on EMO and unsettled plays.

HPU - HPU looked like a team that had played together quite a bit and were sharp in all phases. SU scored first and then HPU rattled off 8 in a row until late in the 2nd quarter. Seemed like they won all of the face-offs and had the ball the entire first half. The few times SU had the ball they were impatient and took poor shots or turned it over. SU scored the last 2 of the first half and the first 3-4 of the second and then both teams started subbing liberally.

Offense:
  • Quite impressed with the ball movement. They looked comfortable playing together already.
  • Spallina is as advertised and finished with 9 goals over the two games. He didn't force much, and seemed very comfortable distributing the ball from X. Drew a few penalties. He gets a lot of attention with the ball already and the offense seemed content having him with the ball below and a lot of motion above cage.
  • Simmons looks the part and had 3-4 goals through the 2 games.
  • Kirst did not play a ton against Loyola but played more against HPU. As mentioned he has a big body and will cause some matchup problems wherever they end up playing him. I wonder if he is a bit banged up right now.
  • Hiltz had some nice assists but was pretty quiet. Was a bit aggressive with some passes where it was clear the recipient was not expecting the ball or in a position to make a move with the ball. That will come with more time together.
  • I had Leo/Thomson/Rhoa and Kempney/Tenaglia/Rosa O mid lines for most of the Loyola game and then towards the end of the game they went Fiorini/White/Lewis with and attack line of Leo/Ehrlbeck/Thomson.
  • Thomson had 2 goals and Leo, Kempney and Rosa all scored 1 a piece through the 2 games.
  • FWIW, John Cohen (transfer from Hop) got quite a bit of time at mid, especially against HPU.
Defense:
  • Good, bad, and ugly. Pretty solid 6v6 against Loyola. Man-down will take some work. Have to imagine that Figueiras was taking alot of the reps in the Fall before he was injured, and this is really a completely new unit. When Caccamo went down they had no poles outside of Clary and Olexo that had played at this level yet or had gotten significant time in prior years.
  • Starting Close D: Caccamo, Col, and Clary(? - got there a little late) with Dwan first off the bench.
  • LSM: Olexo / Drago / Page - Olexo was very active on D and in transition. Had a great sellout check against Loyola that got the ball back on a man down.
  • Man Down: Aviles, Olexo, Dwan, Beck, Caccamo, Col, Clary all played
  • SSDM: Aviles, Rice, Woody, Bolea, Mercado, Trujillo. Aviles/Rice both were solid but felt like Woody and Bolea got a ton of time in both games. Woody is a bigger body and Bolea a little on the smaller side but held his own and was good in transition. Mercado seemed to struggle a bit and had a large brace on a leg, so may not be 100%. Trujillo really jumped out to me. Looks the part: Strong, aggressive, great footwork. I'd expect him to be in the mix in the Spring.
  • Dwan and Beck are big bodies and both looked good on ball. As advertised, Dwan is very vocal and seems like he will play that Eddie Glazener role for this D for years, even if not a #1 alpha defender.
  • Thompson looked great in goal against Loyola and McCool also played well. Will withhold judgment on the HPU performance as the defense was blitzed in the first half but McCool played most of the first half and Duffy the second. I don't recall seeing Rolley.
Faceoffs and Special Teams:
  • Faceoffs looked pretty good against Loyola. I'd estimate ~60% with Fine getting 50% of the reps and Gibbs/Richiusa splitting the other 50%. HPU was a different story and probably finished well under 50% with a similar mix. Outside of 1-2 examples of clean losses felt like most F/O were lost in the GB scrums. Nothing new there.
  • Rides looked great against Loyola and there was at least one failure and another broken clear that resulted in a goal. Not much noticeable against HPU outside of a really bad slash against Thomson on a ride that ended up in a HPU EMO goal.
  • Clears similarly looked pretty clean against Loyola but really were struggling against HPU, primarily in the first half. Expect that to get cleaned up.

About what you'd expect from a fall scrimmage. Saw a lot of good and bad but my overall takeaway is that there is so much promising youth on this team, it's an exciting time.

Loyola - I know Loyola was missing some key players but SU offense seemed to have little trouble getting quality looks, despite their keeper(s) playing well. Defensively I thought they looked good in the 6v6 for the most part and a lot of Loyola's goals came on EMO and unsettled plays.

HPU - HPU looked like a team that had played together quite a bit and were sharp in all phases. SU scored first and then HPU rattled off 8 in a row until late in the 2nd quarter. Seemed like they won all of the face-offs and had the ball the entire first half. The few times SU had the ball they were impatient and took poor shots or turned it over. SU scored the last 2 of the first half and the first 3-4 of the second and then both teams started subbing liberally.

Offense:
  • Quite impressed with the ball movement. They looked comfortable playing together already.
  • Spallina is as advertised and finished with 9 goals over the two games. He didn't force much, and seemed very comfortable distributing the ball from X. Drew a few penalties. He gets a lot of attention with the ball already and the offense seemed content having him with the ball below and a lot of motion above cage.
  • Kirst did not play a ton against Loyola but played more against HPU. As mentioned he has a big body and will cause some matchup problems wherever they end up playing him. I wonder if he is a bit banged up right now.
  • Hiltz had some nice assists but was pretty quiet. Was a bit aggressive with some passes where it was clear the recipient was not expecting the ball or in a position to make a move with the ball. That will come with more time together.
  • I had Leo/Thomson/Rhoa and Kempney/Tenaglia/Rosa O mid lines for most of the Loyola game and then towards the end of the game they went Fiorini/White/Lewis with and attack line of Leo/Ehrlbeck/Thomson.
  • Thomson had 2 goals and Leo, Kempney and Rosa all scored 1 a piece through the 2 games.
  • FWIW, John Cohen (transfer from Hop) got quite a bit of time at mid, especially against HPU.
Defense:
  • Good, bad, and ugly. Pretty solid 6v6 against Loyola. Man-down will take some work. Have to imagine that Figueiras was taking alot of the reps in the Fall before he was injured, and this is really a completely new unit. When Caccamo went down they had no poles outside of Clary and Olexo that had played at this level yet or had gotten significant time in prior years.
  • Starting Close D: Caccamo, Col, and Clary(? - got there a little late) with Dwan first off the bench.
  • LSM: Olexo / Drago / Page - Olexo was very active on D and in transition. Had a great sellout check against Loyola that got the ball back on a man down.
  • SSDM: Aviles, Rice, Woody, Bolea, Mercado, Trujillo. Aviles/Rice both were solid but felt like Woody and Bolea got a ton of time in both games. Woody is a bigger body and Bolea a little on the smaller side but held his own and was good in transition. Mercado seemed to struggle a bit and had a large brace on a leg, so may not be 100%. Trujillo really jumped out to me. Looks the part: Strong, aggressive, great footwork. I'd expect him to be in the mix in the Spring.
  • Dwan and Beck are big bodies and both looked good on ball. As advertised, Dwan is very vocal and seems like he will play that Eddie Glazener role for this D for years, even if not a #1 alpha defender.
  • Thompson looked great in goal against Loyola and McCool also played well. Will withhold judgment on the HPU performance as the defense was blitzed in the first half but McCool played most of the first half and Duffy the second. I don't recall seeing Rolley.
  • Faceoffs looked pretty good against Loyola. I'd estimate ~60% with Fine getting 50% of the reps and Gibbs/Richiusa splitting the other 50%. HPU was a different story and probably finished well under 50% with a similar mix. Outside of 1-2 examples of clean losses felt like most F/O were lost in the GB scrums. Nothing new there.
  • Rides looked great against Loyola and there was at least one failure and another broken clear that resulted in a goal. Not much noticeable against HPU outside of a really bad slash against Thomson on a ride that ended up in a HPU EMO goal.
  • Clears similarly looked pretty clean against Loyola but really were struggling against HPU, primarily in the first half. Expect that to get cleaned up.
You the man. 5 star forum poster. Great upside. UA All American caliber.

The faceoffs that Cuse did win, were they more clean wins at the X, more loose balls that were picked up or an even combination?

Offense:
Defense:
Thank you brother

Offense:
Defense:
a very valuable report on what must have been a confusing game. Great job and thanks to you.

Just

Offense:
Defense:
Just the fact the freshman got work playing a D 1 college game and seemed to have played well is great news. Scores mean nothing the coaches are rotating kids in and out to get a look and get them playing time. Look at Cole Kirst he didn't play until game 2 and not much. We all know he will be a 1st line middie. They want him out there now with the young guys because of his leadership and can help keep them calm. I'm sure they aren't sure who will start and who will play on the 2nd line. They have an idea but once January comes and it's for real then they will start making decisions. No need to care about the score it doesn't tell us how good this team is. I was happy to hear Spallina went off. For him to be that comfortable his first scrimmage and light it up means he's gonna be ready to go this season. I think Simmons is gonna have a big yr. He was moved around at Denver and didn't need to be a top scorer yet still had 30 goals. Now as a leader on that attack line and Spallina feeding him he can have a huge yr. We know Hiltz will already and Spallina looks like he's ready to dominate as a freshman. I love that attack line it will be one of best in the country this yr. All comes down to the D stepping up. It don't have to be great just solid. I think the upgrade at DM and goalie will help big time. Teams attacked the DMs last yr. Really only Avalez was solid. Carter is fast and athletic but out of position a lot on slides not knowing when to release and who to pick up. He should be a lot better with that this yr and be solid. Then the 2 transfers and the freshman will be an upgrade to the 2nd and 3rd line from last yr. I know some think Murphy has a big jump but he should have no issues being he's athletic as any DM in the ACC and tougher then most. Has great footwork due to being a RB and LB in HS. His best games have been against St Joes especially the NEC tournament, Stonybrook in the LI Cup championship and covered Knobloch from Rutgers a lot who had just 1 goal and wasn't even when he was on him. He rises to the occasion and will suprise how solid he man's up guys. Bolea looks a little small and playing physical was his game in D 3 that won't work in the ACC with his size but he's also athletic and has pretty good footwork. Compare him to the guys last yr footwork wise and not even close. Then Will Mark is a lot better then Gavin. He's experienced and ppl talk about his 56% save percentage but he was saving that getting 30 to 35 shots on goal a game. Less shots he could have been around 60%. Others say he faced Wagner which he did but also 15th ranked St Joes 4 times in 2 yrs, Rutgers he saved 50% off 30 shots, Umass, Drexel, Stonybrook, Hofstra, Bryant who was very talented and Hobart No not ACC but many players who are now in the ACC or could be. All I'm saying is I'm so excited for this season I think the offense is gonna be top notch and the D will be solid and much improved from last yr. If the Fogos can hang around 50% or close then this team is heading to the tournament. I can't wait to watch Spallina I will be flying into Syracuse from Long Island for a lot of games this yr. So excited I love football yet this yr I can't wait for Lacrosse season. I think this team is gonna suprise a lot of ppl how good it will be. Sorry for the long post I just got excited today and can't wait for the schedule to come out so I can figure out what games I can attend. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom