2022 Fall Ball | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Fall Ball

bounce shot? Lots of goalies go to the knees on those.
Maybe. That would mean the shot came from high ? Not sure dropping to both knees on a shot from high is a good percentage move.

It was probably a low release that skipped high. It all depends on where in relation to the crease the ball hit the ground

it's a still photo from practice utterly devoid of any context. he also saved it. what an insufferable comment
Why then was the photo posted nyclax ? Was it posted so we could comment on it ? Yes of course it was. And my comment comes from what I see. Our GK committed on both knees on a shot that is above waist high. That is not good technique. Great save yes. Good technique no.

Overtime, lack of good technique separates 45-% from 55+%. The difference between 45% and 55% is the difference between NCAA playoffs and "well there's always next year".

The GK should only go to both knees down on less than 10% of SOG - arguably less than 5%. The shot should start high. The low to low is the difficult one - separation between GK's is highly dependent on their footwork and understanding of the shooter's tendencies.

The low shot can be stopped without going to the knees assuming the footwork is there. Staying on the feet is paramount to hitting a good save percentage as well as allowing the team to operate in transition. After every save, there is a transition to offense. A GK sitting on the ground has negatively impacted the success of that transition which of course impacts the offense's efficiency.

Last edited:
Why then was the photo posted nyclax ? Was it posted so we could comment on it ? Yes of course it was. And my comment comes from what I see. Our GK committed on both knees on a shot that is above waist high. That is not good technique. Great save yes. Good technique no.

Overtime, lack of good technique separates 45-% from 55+%. The difference between 45% and 55% is the difference between NCAA playoffs and "well there's always next year".

The GK should only go to both knees down on less than 10% of SOG - arguably less than 5%. The shot should start high.

The low shot can be stopped without going to the knees assuming the footwork is there. Staying on the feet is paramount to hitting a good save percentage as well as allowing the team to operate in transition. After every save, there is a transition to offense. A GK sitting on the ground has negatively impacted the success of that transition which of course impacts the offense's efficiency.
get help

The GK should only go to both knees down on less than 10% of SOG - arguably less than 5%. The shot should start high. The low to low is the difficult one - separation between GK's is highly dependent on their footwork and understanding of the shooter's tendencies.

Your theories on goaltending techniques are outdated. Current techniques have goalies getting their bodies low and placing a knee or two on the ground to have as much surface area low to stop the ball. It goes against a lot of pre-covid teaching but it works.

Your theories on goaltending techniques are outdated. Current techniques have goalies getting their bodies low and placing a knee or two on the ground to have as much surface area low to stop the ball. It goes against a lot of pre-covid teaching but it works.
"Your theories on goaltending techniques are outdated" as of Post-Covid ?

Fine, most of the knee down technique is driven by goaliesmith. They are the foremost training ground for current goalies. They started pushing this idea around 2016/2017. So while a couple goalies may have occasionally dropped for a shot, it is really taken off in the last 5 years with the growth of the goaliesmith program. So again, the idea of a 45 degree angle step out to the ball and staying on your feet at all times is outdated. The shooters are too good and the ball gets on the goalie too quick to step out, everything should be lateral.

Feel free to pull one minor detail out and needle it. I’ll stand by this idea and I know I have the knowledge, experience and training to back this up.

I will attempt to redirect the conversation.

Regarding the defensive struggles of the last 5-7 years, under two different defensive coordinators, what does everyone think the root cause is? They’ve had talent, but probably not enough. They’ve had national championship winning coaches, but the schemes haven’t been effective. They had Peter Dearth, but not enough SSDMs near or at his level.

And relating this to fall ball, did anyone see anything at the scrimmages that would suggest that a turnaround is near?

I will attempt to redirect the conversation.

Regarding the defensive struggles of the last 5-7 years, under two different defensive coordinators, what does everyone think the root cause is? They’ve had talent, but probably not enough. They’ve had national championship winning coaches, but the schemes haven’t been effective. They had Peter Dearth, but not enough SSDMs near or at his level.

And relating this to fall ball, did anyone see anything at the scrimmages that would suggest that a turnaround is near?
no one is going to be able to give you an answer unless they've been coached by either of the coordinators in those years. just guesses.

so here's mine. the players aren't instinctual enough for whatever the level of complexity designed. now, that could mean that a d needs to be dumbed down to potentially equalize with the collective's innate ability. or that could mean that no amount of simplifying is gonna work.

in that construct, what needs to be found are players with better instinct. emphasis on being game and fast twitch decision-making smart. which is potentially where guys like dwan and figueras figure in (first hand with both here). and maybe others.

what is increasingly important is having guys with short sticks in their hands have these traits as well. the new recruiting rules, later contact, make it easier to identify these guys and have slots for them. rather than just turning o mids that don't make the top 9 into a ssdm.

no one is going to be able to give you an answer unless they've been coached by either of the coordinators in those years. just guesses.

so here's mine. the players aren't instinctual enough for whatever the level of complexity designed. now, that could mean that a d needs to be dumbed down to potentially equalize with the collective's innate ability. or that could mean that no amount of simplifying is gonna work.

in that construct, what needs to be found are players with better instinct. emphasis on being game and fast twitch decision-making smart. which is potentially where guys like dwan and figueras figure in (first hand with both here). and maybe others.

what is increasingly important is having guys with short sticks in their hands have these traits as well. the new recruiting rules, later contact, make it easier to identify these guys and have slots for them. rather than just turning o mids that don't make the top 9 into a ssdm.
You kind of touch on something I was thinking about too, which is did the schemes not match the type of players/athletes Cuse has had. As in, the players were good enough (in the abstract) and the schemes were good enough (in the abstract), but the two components did not mesh.

"Your theories on goaltending techniques are outdated" as of Post-Covid ?
We're arguing about technique displayed on a still picture? The kid is a two time AA and two time NEC D player of the year. His metrics are pretty solid. I tend to think GK is more transferable from lower D1 to higher D1 than other positions.
Fine, most of the knee down technique is driven by goaliesmith. They are the foremost training ground for current goalies. They started pushing this idea around 2016/2017. So while a couple goalies may have occasionally dropped for a shot, it is really taken off in the last 5 years with the growth of the goaliesmith program. So again, the idea of a 45 degree angle step out to the ball and staying on your feet at all times is outdated. The shooters are too good and the ball gets on the goalie too quick to step out, everything should be lateral.

Feel free to pull one minor detail out and needle it. I’ll stand by this idea and I know I have the knowledge, experience and training to back this up.
Will Mark is a Goaliesmith athlete and trainer if I am not mistaken.

I actually spoke to Jake Murphy last nite. He was at Cuse last week with the team and at practice. Coach Petro showed him film of the D . He told him he ran the same D at LIU. He said Troy Reh taught them this defense at the beginning at LIU then had to dummy it down. He said it's not complicated but he thinks being the DMs we're all O mids in HS they just lack experience in it. That's why they get confused. Maybe last yr Coach Petro should have dummied it down but this yr they should be a lot more comfortable and understand it more. He said it's a very good defense when everyone knows what to do. I mean this is Cuse that was LIU so they should be able to handle the system. I would think being in the 2nd yr they will all be more comfortable and understand it. Murphy is a natural leader so I'm sure come practice in January he will help the DMs understand it. It's just his nature. The D should be improved this yr.

I actually spoke to Jake Murphy last nite. He was at Cuse last week with the team and at practice. Coach Petro showed him film of the D . He told him he ran the same D at LIU. He said Troy Reh taught them this defense at the beginning at LIU then had to dummy it down. He said it's not complicated but he thinks being the DMs we're all O mids in HS they just lack experience in it. That's why they get confused. Maybe last yr Coach Petro should have dummied it down but this yr they should be a lot more comfortable and understand it more. He said it's a very good defense when everyone knows what to do. I mean this is Cuse that was LIU so they should be able to handle the system. I would think being in the 2nd yr they will all be more comfortable and understand it. Murphy is a natural leader so I'm sure come practice in January he will help the DMs understand it. It's just his nature. The D should be improved this yr.
Jake Murphy - current LIU player - attended a SU practice and film session last week?

Jake Murphy - current LIU player - attended a SU practice and film session last week?
He's no longer at LIU. He's student teaching and transferring to SU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom