2022 Horse Racing | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Horse Racing

Was thinking the same thing. Wondering how that drug test will turn out...
Just another thoroughbred racehorse acting like a complete A Hole. They do bite. See it all the time, been around them quite a bit. Happens in the morning all the time as well. He’s a 3 year old colt that should probably be gelded but he certainly won’t be now. Ponies are use to it.

Has nothing to do whether he passes a test or not. I doubt you will see anything with this horse. Highly doubt trainer Eric Reid runs in same circles as Bob Baffert. Nor is he really a high % win trainer.

Horse was a 30k claimer for a reason. Had some ability but probably a complete nightmare to train and couldn’t keep it together.

Is a son of keen ice that could run all day.

Last edited:
As far as the race it was a suicide pace up front 21.44 first quarter, 45 and change for the 1/2.. chaos was bound to follow. The horse may never win a graded stake again but he won the Kentucky derby today and that’s all that matters.

Remember mine that bird came back and ran a huge 2nd maybe 3rd in the Preakness, I’d be shocked if this horse does thst

Our boy is there.

View attachment 217067
43CA2BF4-1595-4863-9E21-CA0407594654.jpeg

I had a cynical thought. What was that business of Rich Strike nipping away at the pony about? Was that something like 'roid rage?
Three year old colts are as hormonal as frat boys. Pace is the race.

Kudos to the jockey. He didn't miss any openings. I also think the jock on Epicenter didn't feel him or see him on his left. Too worried about his right.

As far as the race it was a suicide pace up front 21.44 first quarter, 45 and change for the 1/2.. chaos was bound to follow. The horse may never win a graded stake again but he won the Kentucky derby today and that’s all that matters.

Remember mine that bird came back and ran a huge 2nd maybe 3rd in the Preakness, I’d be shocked if this horse does thst
Saw a good break down somewhere of the trips of Rich Strike vs Mo Dongegal.

MoD is 11 wide at parts, still ends up 5th. You give him Rich Strikes trip, he wins easy. All credit is to Sonny Leon. I wonder if it’s something like what you don’t know can help you. A jockey who’s raced in the derby like Ortiz didn’t want to get his late closer stuck on the rail. Leon just didn’t know better and made all the right decisions along the way….and the horse went along with him

Mo got pinched early and was really right behind the winner.. had to go wide not down the inside.. and it shows you how much luck controls some of these races.. if either inside horse moves 1/2 lane he never gets thru and finishes about 6th.

MoD is 11 wide at parts, still ends up 5th. You give him Rich Strikes trip, he wins easy. All credit is to Sonny Leon. I wonder if it’s something like what you don’t know can help you. A jockey who’s raced in the derby like Ortiz didn’t want to get his late closer stuck on the rail. Leon just didn’t know better and made all the right decisions along the way….and the horse went along with him

Yep and that is the beauty of racing. best horse doesn't always win the race but make no mistake about it Epicenter and Zandon are really nice horses and I would still take either one of them over the winner moving forward/ It opened up for the winner and the pace was sizzling the first half, they went faster than Jackie's Warrior who ran 7F. The ride by Leon was surgical really and like you said he had the horse to do it. Rosario rode a perfect race as well, just got beat. Leon beat two of the best jockeys in the world in the world's biggest race

And just like upperdeck said, Leon at his boy had all the racing luck on their side. Exciting race to say the least. I was just in awe and I was live to 6 horses in the pick 4 and pick 5!! Would have been about a 20K hit for me if Epicenter won. Thought I had 2 good tickets heading into the derby. Ton of fun though. Hit a $100 cold exacta in the Pat Day Mile and went all in after that. Wound up even for the day but had some big tickets that didn't pan out late because of the Derby as I am sure many did.

I love longshots but I just can't see how on paper anyone could have come up with the derby winner. Good for them. Pace, trip are so huge racing but so huge in the Derby with the 20 horse field. Rosario did a great job not getting sucked up into the speed vortex early. He has such a great clock in his head and frustrates a lot of people because he can take them back too far at times

Last edited:

So who plays everybody in the movie?

Mo got pinched early and was really right behind the winner.. had to go wide not down the inside.. and it shows you how much luck controls some of these races.. if either inside horse moves 1/2 lane he never gets thru and finishes about 6th.
There was a point before they hit the top of the lane where I thought Mo Donegal could have followed the winner to the inside. I’m guessing Irad thought following an 80-1 shot would likely get him into a logjam, so he chose to drift out. As always, hindsight is 20/20.

There was a point before they hit the top of the lane where I thought Mo Donegal could have followed the winner to the inside. I’m guessing Irad thought following an 80-1 shot would likely get him into a logjam, so he chose to drift out. As always, hindsight is 20/20.

Yeah I saw that too and I would agree with your statement. I think MO will be many people's pick for the Belmont. Also found interesting that New York's own Mike Repole bought a piece of Mo Donegal a week or two before the Derby. Don't think he does that if Pletcher doesn't really like the horse and his odds in the Belmont. Repole has never won the Belmont and it's a huge priority for him but then again with his $ he may have just wanted some excitement for the Derby.

Last edited:
On another note, I was somewhat happy to see the California horses fire blanks. Big ask for both to go from small fields and perfect conditions to the 20 horse cavalcade that is the derby. I wonder if they would have fared better under banned Bobby.

Yep and that is the beauty of racing. best horse doesn't always win the race but make no mistake about it Epicenter and Zandon are really nice horses and I would still take either one of them over the winner moving forward/ It opened up for the winner and the pace was sizzling the first half, they went faster than Jackie's Warrior who ran 7F. The ride by Leon was surgical really and like you said he had the horse to do it. Rosario rode a perfect race as well, just got beat. Leon beat two of the best jockeys in the world in the world's biggest race

And just like upperdeck said, Leon at his boy had all the racing luck on their side. Exciting race to say the least. I was just in awe and I was live to 6 horses in the pick 4 and pick 5!! Would have been about a 20K hit for me if Epicenter won. Thought I had 2 good tickets heading into the derby. Ton of fun though. Hit a $100 cold exacta in the Pat Day Mile and went all in after that. Wound up even for the day but had some big tickets that didn't pan out late because of the Derby as I am sure many did.

I love longshots but I just can't see how on paper anyone could have come up with the derby winner. Good for them. Pace, trip are so huge racing but so huge in the Derby with the 20 horse field. Rosario did a great job not getting sucked up into the speed vortex early. He has such a great clock in his head and frustrates a lot of people because he can take them back too far at times
Rich Strike got a great ride and ran legitimately well from a speed figure standpoint, even if I can't fathom where that performance came from. The second and third finishers ran well, but really didn't move forward off their previous races, and seemingly had no excuses. Had they been able to, we'd be talking about the amazing late run of a huge longshot that finished third, but it would be just a footnote to the race and soon forgotten. Now Rich Strike gets to be a forever story in racing history.

Rich Strike got a great ride and ran legitimately well from a speed figure standpoint, even if I can't fathom where that performance came from. The second and third finishers ran well, but really didn't move forward off their previous races, and seemingly had no excuses. Had they been able to, we'd be talking about the amazing late run of a huge longshot that finished third, but it would be just a footnote to the race and soon forgotten. Now Rich Strike gets to be a forever story in racing history.

for sure and I think many people who don't really follow racing don't realize how young a 3 year old thoroughbred horse actually is. They can really improve from race to race without CHEATING! Who knows which horse will go onto have the best career overall. Gun Runner didn't really find his best form until his 4 year old career. What horses will cut back or go to grass etc.

Distance of the Belmont should not be an issue for Rich Strike but as a KY Derby Winner he will be over bet in every race he ever runs moving forward. I think Mo Donegal will be short odds too.

Barber Rd ( the 13 or 14?) also looked like a Belmont horse who ran a solid 6th but he has to make a winning move at some point, he just goes along for the ride in the races I have watched. definition of a 1 pace plodder but he could be right there too. Belmont such a different race too as I don't think you see anywhere near the pace scenario that we did Saturday.

Onto the Preakness

Last edited:
for sure and I think many people who don't really follow racing don't realize how young a 3 year old thoroughbred horse actually is. They can really improve from race to race without CHEATING! Who knows which horse will go onto have the best career overall. Gun Runner didn't really find his best form until his 4 year old career. What horses will cut back or go to grass etc.
Interesting thing from those Turfway preps.

Tiz the Bomb clearly likes that surface and has repeatedly looked bad on dirt
STOLEN BASE who was 2nd in the Battaglia and bombed out in the Jeff Ruby WINS The American TURF on the card

...and Rich Strike gets a 3rd and 4th on the Synth and comes back on dirt at a longer distance and looks like his daddy Keen Ice for the first time.

It's what makes handicapping so fun and so hard

STOLEN BASE who was 2nd in the Battaglia and bombed out in the Jeff Ruby WINS The American TURF on the card

...and Rich Strike gets a 3rd and 4th on the Synth and comes back on dirt at a longer distance and looks like his daddy Keen Ice for the first time.

Better horse names than usual this year.

yeah the fact that the horse had a decent trip way back at churchill was really over looked by every one

yeah the fact that the horse had a decent trip way back at churchill was really over looked by every one
Even then…even if for some reason I liked this horse on this surface and track or love his sire…no way am I putting my money on an MVR jockey and trainer that regularly loses at MNR…in the derby!!! Insanity. I still can’t believe it happened

Rich Strike obviously got a lot out of the synth races, but no one, including his connections, could have anticipated it would translate into what we saw Saturday on a completely different surface.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom