2022 Horse Racing | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Horse Racing

On another note, I was somewhat happy to see the California horses fire blanks. Big ask for both to go from small fields and perfect conditions to the 20 horse cavalcade that is the derby. I wonder if they would have fared better under banned Bobby.
After I saw Yakteen's horse on the undercard not be competitive, it sealed my decision not to bet on in the derby.

Probably in the horse's best interests long-term. Gutsy decision by his connections.

They don't expect three miracles in a row.

Probably in the horse's best interests long-term. Gutsy decision by his connections.

Huge effort in the Derby, Preakness probably doesn't suit his running style and they said earlier week that he's not a horse that comes back well on short rest. Trainer said he likes to space his races about 5 weeks so the Belmont should be a perfect fit as far as timing and the distance should not be an issue at all.

Huge effort in the Derby, Preakness probably doesn't suit his running style and they said earlier week that he's not a horse that comes back well on short rest. Trainer said he likes to space his races about 5 weeks so the Belmont should be a perfect fit as far as timing and the distance should not be an issue at all.
Yes, I think he'll be competitive in the Belmont, but you never know if they want a mile and a half. In any case, they'll have some horse left for the summer and fall, and can pick their spots accordingly.

Yes, I think he'll be competitive in the Belmont, but you never know if they want a mile and a half. In any case, they'll have some horse left for the summer and fall, and can pick their spots accordingly.

Agreed, not all late running closers are Belmont horses nor will they get the distance. The horse is more likely to have a summer campaign if they keep his race spacing. One thing to run a horse out the back door 3 times in 5 weeks at his home track; completely different to ship 2 x maybe even 4 x if they go back to Kentucky after the Preakness and run them on 3 different tracks etc on the triple crown trail. It's a circus Some horses ship well and some will literally come off the van a sweaty mess and look like they lost 150 pounds in a day. I am sure the trainer knows his horse

The stallion keen ice did alright at Saratoga as well!

Last edited:
Agreed, not all late running closers are Belmont horses nor will they get the distance. The horse is more likely to have a summer campaign if they keep his race spacing. One thing to run a horse out the back door 3 times in 5 weeks at his home track; completely different to ship 2 x maybe even 4 x if they go back to Kentucky after the Preakness and run them on 3 different tracks etc on the triple crown trail. It's a circus Some horses ship well and some will literally come off the van a sweaty mess and look like they lost 150 pounds in a day. I am sure the trainer knows his horse

perfect horse for the Travers.

run him in the Haskell too.

perfect horse for the Travers.

run him in the Haskell too.

Agreed. I am sure they are thinking Travers, which to me is the 2nd biggest race now for 3 year olds. Not even close really. And lets face it, they are probably selling a piece of the horse soon to some breeding operation in KY and looking to make a stallion. Owner has to take some $ off the table

Ha, Keen Ice doesn't owe me anything after that Travers.

Agreed. I am sure they are thinking Travers, which to me is the 2nd biggest race now for 3 year olds. Not even close really. And lets face it, they are probably selling a piece of the horse soon to some breeding operation in KY and looking to make a stallion. Owner has to take some $ off the table
That's interesting - you think the Travers is bigger than two of the 3 Triple Crown races? Not disagreeing, hadn't thought of it.

That's interesting - you think the Travers is bigger than two of the 3 Triple Crown races? Not disagreeing, hadn't thought of it.
i think it is too.

IMO its definitely bigger than the Preakness, and while i acknowledge that could be track bias, i just think its an antiquated way of determining who is best.

2 weeks and on a little shorter run, it just doesnt make one a great horse anymore.

the Belmont is too long.

i love the 1 1/4, which is the Derby and the Travers.

the Breeders too, but notice Barrell stated 'for 3 year olds'...so yes, that puts the Travers #2.

i think it is too.

IMO its definitely bigger than the Preakness, and while i acknowledge that could be track bias, i just think its an antiquated way of determining who is best.

2 weeks and on a little shorter run, it just doesnt make one a great horse anymore.

the Belmont is too long.

i love the 1 1/4, which is the Derby and the Travers.

the Breeders too, but notice Barrell stated 'for 3 year olds'...so yes, that puts the Travers #2.
The Belmont is still a great race, but nothing else important is run at 1 1/2 on the dirt anymore, which is a shame. When the Jockey Club Gold Cup was run at 1 1/2, you'd get the top 3YOs going up against the best older horses in the fall, and it was a definitive race. The Breeders Cup changed all that.

The Belmont is still a great race, but nothing else important is run at 1 1/2 on the dirt anymore, which is a shame. When the Jockey Club Gold Cup was run at 1 1/2, you'd get the top 3YOs going up against the best older horses in the fall, and it was a definitive race. The Breeders Cup changed all that.
i was in my 20s when it dropped to 1 1/4. the significance of 2 at 1 1/2 was sorta lost on me, 1 1/4 just made sense.

that is a good point.

the Belmont needs to stay strong, and i like the 3 different distances composing a 'Triple Crown', they just need to space out the races more.

i was in my 20s when it dropped to 1 1/4. the significance of 2 at 1 1/2 was sorta lost on me, 1 1/4 just made sense.

that is a good point.

the Belmont needs to stay strong, and i like the 3 different distances composing a 'Triple Crown', they just need to space out the races more.
Top class races at 1 1/2 on the dirt were more common at one time and important test of stamina for breeding purposes. The JCGC often would decide horse of the year and 3YO honors back in the day. Now the Belmont Stakes is an anachronism. I agree that they shouldn't shorten it up. But they probably should consider spacing out the Triple Crown races as top horses just don't run as often as in the past, and few run in all three legs.

Top class races at 1 1/2 on the dirt were more common at one time and important test of stamina for breeding purposes. The JCGC often would decide horse of the year and 3YO honors back in the day. Now the Belmont Stakes is an anachronism. I agree that they shouldn't shorten it up. But they probably should consider spacing out the Triple Crown races as top horses just don't run as often as in the past, and few run in all three legs.

How about one big race a month for 6-8 months with combined standings for horses, jockeys, trainers and owners?

How about one big race a month for 6-8 months with combined standings for horses, jockeys, trainers and owners?
This sort of thing has been tried in the past, but sustained interest from fans, racetracks, networks and sponsors just wasn't there. It's hard to make it work, given the nature of the sport. There are too many divisions, surfaces and distances at play. Even if you limited it to dirt races at 1 1/8 and over, 3YOs generally race against each other until fall when they begin competing against the best older horses.

CANT move the Derby, and adding an extra week off till the Preakness puts it on MDW, NBC wont like that AND then it moves the Belmont till late June. i think it will work, but im guessing NYRA would fight that for some reason.

but it would be a nice ending to the Belmont season as they all get on 87N.

CANT move the Derby, and adding an extra week off till the Preakness puts it on MDW, NBC wont like that AND then it moves the Belmont till late June. i think it will work, but im guessing NYRA would fight that for some reason.

but it would be a nice ending to the Belmont season as they all get on 87N.

I don't see them moving it anytime soon or cutting the distance of the Belmont. The track is 1.5 miles and it's one loop around the damn track. Just my 2 cents but the Travers has continued to increase in stature and trainers look at the Derby, Belmont, Haskell, Travers as more viable than running the gauntlet of the Triple Crown and praying you got something left later in the summer. The Haskell/ Travers timing can be tricky too. Horses aren't different than any other modern day athlete, "load management" can be very frustrating for fans. If I had a horse than ran decent in the derby but didn't win and I thought they could get the distance of the Belmont, I would run there, skip Preakness and then get ready for Saratoga. Or I would run in the preakness and then slow down skip Belmont and get ready for the Jim Dandy/ Travers run. The super trainers have horses for all of the races and just reload the mid size to smaller guy is going to protect the horse because they don't come around all that often.

the Belmont Day card is easily one of the top 3 best cards of the year with the Met Mile as well. NYRA has created a great weekend around it and then another great card right before they move to Saratoga, which I believe they call Stars and Stripes day around 4th of July. Breeder's Cup Saturday, KY Derby and then the card on Belmont Day which to me other than the Breeders Cup Saturday the best betting day of the year. You can throw in a few others but they are all up in Saratoga

Always a few phonies in the Belmont though, one pace horses that finish mid pack in the derby usually are one pace horses that finish mid pack in the Belmont as well. You still need some speed ( Palace Malice) or a hell of a closing kick. You need to make a move at some point

Last edited:
The Belmont card is always great, and the 1 1/2 mile race is an unusual treat for fans of dirt horses. Remember the days when they ran the Marlboro Cup at 1 1/4 miles with one turn?

The Belmont card is always great, and the 1 1/2 mile race is an unusual treat for fans of dirt horses. Remember the days when they ran the Marlboro Cup at 1 1/4 miles with one turn?
Oh yeah...

It's nice to see them run the full oval at Belmont when they do for sure. Couple of stakes races for older horses where they do as well but it's rare these days. I think the Brooklyn Handicap and Temperence Hill Invitational are both 1-5/8 mile at Belmont. Loved the Breeder's Cup Marathon back in the day as well

Last edited:
wasnt secretariats last race like a 1 1/2 mile thing in canada back in the day.

Gotta hand it to Big Red - he won at diverse tracks, all distances and both surfaces (not counting synthetic, of course).

Some of his times are mind blowing. Setting aside his Belmont which is the greatness standard, I think I recall him running a 1:45 and change 1 1/8 at Belmont.

I don't know anything at all about horse racing but just moved into a new development built at Laurel Park. We can walk through our own pedestrian tunnel to the track. Haven't done it thus far as we just moved in a bit ago. Is this place anything special that I should be excited about in any way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom