2022 Horse Racing | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Horse Racing

He had a first time 2 yo arrogate starter Saturday that ran a 101 beyer? Serioulsy? and that is sprinting where most arrogate babies have been better with distance added.

2 year old colts have been better at Del Mar, fillies Saratoga. I thought the winner of the saratoga special. Damons mound? Looked solid. Gulfport checked really hard though and the race was over at that point. I think Gulfport will run back in the 2 yo stake on last day at Saratoga and at least be even $. He's a nice horse too just got in a bad spot which Rosario will do from time to time.

How good is Big Invasion sprinting on grass. 3 year old too
Gulfport wasn't beating Damon's Mound that day without the trouble. He was getting gobbled up before Rosario checked him. Probably too close to the hot pace.

Gulfport wasn't beating Damon's Mound that day without the trouble. He was getting gobbled up before Rosario checked him. Probably too close to the hot pace.

Agreed, it really was a match race between the two and DM probably would have won either way. 9/5 on Damon's Mound was really a gift. Thought I was going to get 3-1 for a minute. What did Gulfport go off at 2/5? Made no sense, IMO. Rosario/ Asmussen versus G Saez/ Lovell was the reason but the horses looked a lot closer than that

Travers should have a great field. KY Derby Winner, Preak Winner, Haskell Winner, Jim Dandy Winner. Charge It. 10 horse field most likely.

Thought Pletcher might try the filly Nest in here but going to the Alabama I believe
Travers Day could be the deepest day of racing at Saratoga ever. It's one stud horse after another. Lots of big name horses. It's a Breeders Cup preview if all of these horses run.

there are 6 stakes races on Friday as well.. Compared to Delmar with none..

I wonder how the Fandual takeover of TVG ends up going.. We should see the changes on Sept 1..

I hit the late pick 4 contest at Delmar on TVG. I wondered how many people split it . turns out it was split 50 ways still paid $100 to add to the $440 win ticket so not bad for free money.. Worse part was I got on late and hit the Ex in race 4 as well and that pick 5 paid almost 7K though i tend not play much of those every day anyhow.

I know the history of Saratoga and we already saw Jackie’s warriors beat…but think it’s gonna be all favorites in the stakes pick 4.

0-2 for Rosario and Assmussen on favs. Epicenter next?

0-2 for Rosario and Assmussen on favs. Epicenter next?
Well, he got it done. Clear leader of the division now. It was a strangely run race with Early Voting not on the lead or prompting the pace. Rich Strike ran a good one; it's not easy training up to a race like that, especially for a one run closer.

20220828_143533.jpg

Cody's Wish ran a huge race and Irad putting pressure on Jackie's Warrior was the key to the race. The last few races Jackie's Warrior got away with an easy lead and nobody really took it to him. Cody's Wish is a damn good racehorse. I hope Jackie gets the breeders cup sprint though.

You see this often when a great horse who is a heavy fave gets beat. It takes a couple horses to actually do it. Great race.

I was terrible Saturday. Caught a small double in the 4th/ 5th but lost all that and more after that.

Cody's Wish ran a huge race and Irad putting pressure on Jackie's Warrior was the key to the race. The last few races Jackie's Warrior got away with an easy lead and nobody really took it to him. Cody's Wish is a damn good racehorse. I hope Jackie gets the breeders cup sprint though.

You see this often when a great horse who is a heavy fave gets beat. It takes a couple horses to actually do it. Great race.

I was terrible Saturday. Caught a small double in the 4th/ 5th but lost all that and more after that.
Fortunately, because of Cody's Wish, I won a $162 pick 3 on a $8 bet. I also won big on Gufo. Overall, Saturday was my best day in a very long time.

I didn't think the pace was especially fast, certainly not for a horse like Jackie's Warrior to deal with. He was still running at the end. Mott's horse just jumped up and ran a monster race, with a figure he had never approached before. It will be interesting to see what happens next time. It sort of reminded me of the big number Baby Yoda ran for Mott last year, which he has never approached since.

I did okay Friday and Saturday, but if Mira Mission had been able to finish the deal in the Sword Dancer, I would have had a great day.

Finally getting there this week after watching most of the meet on FS1. Really looking forward to it. In the Travers, aside from the winner I vas impressed with both Rich Strike and Artorius who battled despite the huge class step up. Put a $20 on Rich Strike to win hoping that he would pull a Sea Hero and repeat his Derby success. Regrettably, history did not repeat.

I didn't think the pace was especially fast, certainly not for a horse like Jackie's Warrior to deal with. He was still running at the end. Mott's horse just jumped up and ran a monster race, with a figure he had never approached before. It will be interesting to see what happens next time. It sort of reminded me of the big number Baby Yoda ran for Mott last year, which he has never approached since.

I did okay Friday and Saturday, but if Mira Mission had been able to finish the deal in the Sword Dancer, I would have had a great day.

I actually think Jackie's Warrior should have opened up more the first 1/2. Although he had a 1/2 Length lead, pipeline was dogging him the whole way which takes something out of a horse. If Jackie goes 44 and is loose up front maybe he could have held off the late rally from Cody's way. Jackie did run a 112 beyer in defeat so hardly a sub par effort. Sometime I think Rosario is too damn patient whether it be up front or when he takes a horse back which he did in the 13th race Saturday, he's such a strong finisher he usually gets away with it.

I used Mira Mission as well and I just don't trust Gufo and he beat me knocked me out of a lot of stuff with regard to pick 4 and 5's

I actually think Jackie's Warrior should have opened up more the first 1/2. Although he had a 1/2 Length lead, pipeline was dogging him the whole way which takes something out of a horse. If Jackie goes 44 and is loose up front maybe he could have held off the late rally from Cody's way. Jackie did run a 112 beyer in defeat so hardly a sub par effort. Sometime I think Rosario is too damn patient whether it be up front or when he takes a horse back which he did in the 13th race Saturday, he's such a strong finisher he usually gets away with it.

I used Mira Mission as well and I just don't trust Gufo and he beat me knocked me out of a lot of stuff with regard to pick 4 and 5's
Gufo is one of those horses I'm never right about. When I use him he doesn't show up, and when I leave him out he wins.

One more thing about the Forego is that Cody's Wish was so far out on the track that I don't think Rosario (or Jackie's Warrior) picked him up until he was almost on top of them. It might not have mattered because the winner was moving like a freight train, but you never know.

Gufo is one of those horses I'm never right about. When I use him he doesn't show up, and when I leave him out he wins.

One more thing about the Forego is that Cody's Wish was so far out on the track that I don't think Rosario (or Jackie's Warrior) picked him up until he was almost on top of them. It might not have mattered because the winner was moving like a freight train, but you never know.

100% agree with Gufo and I am a Rosario fan boy and use him in almost all my horizontal wagers. I have just been on the losing end with Gufo too many times even though he won Sword Dancer last year too

It's taken me years to figure out with speed horses you need to open up and let them get free and clear, now if another horse insists on setting a suicide pace well than that is different you have to let them go. With Jackie if he opens up 44 and change and opens up a couple lengths and Cody sits further back I certainly don't think Rosario would see him coming from that back but what it does is create scenario where the late closers start to get nervous and either they may start their run to early or too late but the race with a clear speed leader turns the race into a race to the wire, you gotta beat them to the wire because they surely will come running late just gotta hold them off. Leaves the gambler praying for the wire. I think this is even a bigger part of grass racing.

I've had two really good horses over the years one was a front running grass horse that only had one way to win and that was going to the lead and opening up. Some bigger graded stake type races he got caught in a speed duel and tired at the end. The races he won he made the closers really uncomfortable and was able to hold off the late closers because they thought he would come back and he did not. He had one kick left, If we lost we lost but only way we were going to win was open up 5-6 lengths. Horses name was Black Tide. Rosario kid of created the running style because he had the balls to do it. Lezcano won two stakes on him and rode him very well. The first time we did it was in a claiming race and Rosario opened up like 20 lengths it was unreal.

Mohawk Stake 2017 This was a thing of beauty

100% agree with Gufo and I am a Rosario fan boy and use him in almost all my horizontal wagers. I have just been on the losing end with Gufo too many times even though he won Sword Dancer last year too

It's taken me years to figure out with speed horses you need to open up and let them get free and clear, now if another horse insists on setting a suicide pace well than that is different you have to let them go. With Jackie if he opens up 44 and change and opens up a couple lengths and Cody sits further back I certainly don't think Rosario would see him coming from that back but what it does is create scenario where the late closers start to get nervous and either they may start their run to early or too late but the race with a clear speed leader turns the race into a race to the wire, you gotta beat them to the wire because they surely will come running late just gotta hold them off. Leaves the gambler praying for the wire. I think this is even a bigger part of grass racing.

I've had two really good horses over the years one was a front running grass horse that only had one way to win and that was going to the lead and opening up. Some bigger graded stake type races he got caught in a speed duel and tired at the end. The races he won he made the closers really uncomfortable and was able to hold off the late closers because they thought he would come back and he did not. He had one kick left, If we lost we lost but only way we were going to win was open up 5-6 lengths. Horses name was Black Tide. Rosario kid of created the running style because he had the balls to do it. Lezcano won two stakes on him and rode him very well. The first time we did it was in a claiming race and Rosario opened up like 20 lengths it was unreal.

Mohawk Stake 2017 This was a thing of beauty
Good stuff. That was a really nice ride there by Rosario. These days you rarely see speed horses ridden aggressively like that. I hate when riders give away their tactical advantage on speed horses and let everyone into the race, especially in grass races. Sometimes they may be under orders to rate, but often they choose to do so on their own. That said, not all speed horses can be ridden like that, but I'd like to see it tried more often.

Interesting, and it was a thing of beauty.

You are obviously closer to the game than I. What I’m wondering is, how to jockeys racing behind the leader evaluate the “staying power” of a horse loose on the lead - (say, clear by > 2 lengths)?

Obviously, you have past form to consider coupled with the pursuing jockey’s inner clocks and related calculations of how much energy the front runner is expending. But are there also auditory clues that they evaluate like breathing, jockey chirps, turnover, etc? And if there are, do they lose the ability to pick them up if they fall too far behind? Also would wind have an effect?

I guess what I’m asking is can the loss of these auditory clues make a pursuing jockey lose some of their edge, or make them move too soon? Or, am I just over complicating everything?

Good stuff. That was a really nice ride there by Rosario. These days you rarely see speed horses ridden aggressively like that. I hate when riders give away their tactical advantage on speed horses and let everyone into the race, especially in grass races. Sometimes they may be under orders to rate, but often they choose to do so on their own. That said, not all speed horses can be ridden like that, but I'd like to see it tried more often.

For sure, if they let this horse go first half at 47 or so I knew had a great shot and he was far best on the 1 turn at Belmont. Both Lezcano and Joel use to try and give him a breather at the turn and once he leveled up after the turn he usually had one burst left to hold them off.

This is Lezcano ride and we had dirtied the horses form trying to run him in graded stakes and 1-1/8" distance wasn't his best but again they let us get away here. 28-1.

Larry Collmus loved this horse.

2018 Ashley T Cole

Btw, I have tended to be on the lucky side of picking Gufo. Hit a pick 5 with him Saturday with a couple of friends. He was one of my
“has to be included” picks. That’s racing, right?

Interesting, and it was a thing of beauty.

You are obviously closer to the game than I. What I’m wondering is, how to jockeys racing behind the leader evaluate the “staying power” of a horse loose on the lead - (say, clear by > 2 lengths)?

Obviously, you have past form to consider coupled with the pursuing jockey’s inner clocks and related calculations of how much energy the front runner is expending. But are there also auditory clues that they evaluate like breathing, jockey chirps, turnover, etc? And if there are, do they lose the ability to pick them up if they fall too far behind? Also would wind have an effect?

I guess what I’m asking is can the loss of these auditory clues make a pursuing jockey lose some of their edge, or make them move too soon? Or, am I just over complicating everything?

No I don't think you are over complicating any of it. I think a jock knows what he has underneath him and what that horses running style is. The great ones have a great clock in their head with regard to speed types and finishing. What we were doing here is trying to create some havoc, in the Mohawk race you can see Castellano on the 3-5 Chad Brown fave trying to time his run but he gets into some traffic and clearly mistimed the finish. My horse had just enough like I said he had that last spurt most times in his good races. He ran some races where we went 45 the first half to get the lead and those did not go so well. Many times it was just some cheap speed chasing him down which sucked because the other horse had no chance of winning. I think it just comes from experience and that clock in their head and as I have said Rosario seems to be the best at it.

most impressive race I have ever seen. I’ve been really watching for about 20 years
That was amazing. Second fastest Beyer ever. Cheating Bafferts second place horse ran it's fastest mile in a quarter by over two seconds and finished almost 20 lengths behind? Perfection

That was amazing. Second fastest Beyer ever. Cheating Bafferts second place horse ran it's fastest mile in a quarter by over two seconds and finished almost 20 lengths behind? Perfection
He’s just a freak. So glad Baffert isn’t training him as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom