2022 Horse Racing | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Horse Racing

Yeah, he embarrassed the field on City Man. I was on basically every other horse...felt like a dummy watching him glide home.

The NY Bred races seem to be impossible to handicap to me...maybe because I don't follow the sires or whatever.

So you think it's just a matter of betting horizontals, finding the single and spreading in the random claiming and NY Bred races?

That's how I look at it Yes and a place win and win/ place bets along the way. Usually 2-3 a day max. You get the single home and things can get interesting. Sunday I placed two win bets on Rosario at short odds in turf sprints but I hit on a win/place bet in the 9th ( 3-2 zone) at 11-1.

I played a $2.50 pick 4 where the ticket was 4x1x3x3 so a total investment of $90 and it paid around $3,330 and rare but I learned if you single in multi race bets but lose in other legs you have nothing to show for what are typically your strongest opinions which made no sense. at worst you want to pay for the cost of multi race ticket if the single hits along the way

The 2 win bets and 1 win place bet paid around $1,000. I had 3 singles and they all won. Damn good day.

I dropped about $175 earlier in the card. But race 5 I bet $100 win on a 2-1 and that got me moving in the right direction and it snowballed from there.

If I play a pick 4 or pick 5 I usually have at least one single in there, definitely the pick 5. The win bets are usually more chalk type bets anything over 6-1 I usually go win/ place.

Saturday I whiffed on 2 win bets and never got going but I played a pick 4 at the end of the day and missed the last race. I liked the Brad Cox winner in the Sanford but held off with a win bet because I was already 0-2 in previous win bets and told myself I wasn't going to chase as I have done countless times. The late pick 4 and pick 5 pools on the weekends are pretty lucrative if you can catch a price or two. late pick 4 paid $3400 on $.50.

I rarely play exactas or tris. If I am going poorly I scale back and play doubles and pick 3's. You are still going to lose more bets than you win but if you can pick up a few bucks along the way it keeps the bankroll going and depending how I am doing that week I can move up or down if I have house $. at Saratoga I start every week with the same bankroll as opposed to blowing a good profit from the week before. Years ago I would have chased a lot more on Saturday because I was up from Friday but I have learned the hard way there.

Only day I find it hard to bet like this is Saturday breeders cup. Tough to find singles

Last edited:
best time of the yr.. Sar during the day and most of the Del_Mar day left when you get done.

Agree 100%, DelMar cards Friday- Sunday have been really good so far much bigger fields than typical California racing as well. The late pick 5,4,3 pools at Delmar have been really good. Had 3 out of 4 last night as I tried to beat the Baffert horse in the 7th and whiffed/ Kind of dumb really had it for $2 and it paid $500 with the Baffert horse. Could have added Baffert horse for another $48 but if you can beat Baffert faves out there the payout probably would have been 2x that.

Oh well, sticking to my plan and weekly bankroll. Up big after 1 week, used the weekly bankroll week 2, went up and down but did lose week 2 and just getting started week 3. If I stick to my plan worse I can do is break even through labor day

Last edited:
Delmar had an Ex that paid almost $2k yesterday.

Del mar has been really tough for me to get anything going. Been doing well at Saratoga with a few solid hits. Had everything late Saturday tied into Olympiad who didn't show up.

Last edited:
Del mar has been really tough for me to get anything going. Been doing well at Saratoga with a few solid hits. Had everything late Saturday tied into Olympiad who didn't show up.
it was damn hot Saturday.

was up there all week.

damn hot the whole time.

it was damn hot Saturday.

was up there all week.

damn hot the whole time.
I was there Sunday on my way home from camp, it really was damn hot. Sat at the picnic tables and was in the shade wasn‘t horrible. Cooler was stocked.

did a bone head move today in the Morrisey stakes at Sar.. I didnt like NY traffic or the 1 but loved the 2.. Small field only 5 horses

I was gonna go 2 over all.. but then said why not just cover myself and key it.. $5 with the 3 who had a shot and ignored the 23-1.. of course it comes in 2-5 and would have paid about $500..

small fields never save the extra $10..

did a bone head move today in the Morrisey stakes at Sar.. I didnt like NY traffic or the 1 but loved the 2.. Small field only 5 horses

I was gonna go 2 over all.. but then said why not just cover myself and key it.. $5 with the 3 who had a shot and ignored the 23-1.. of course it comes in 2-5 and would have paid about $500..

small fields never save the extra $10..
dont fluck with the gamblin' gods!!

was at Toga for the first time this weekend - petty question but has all the parking gone up since last year by quite a jump? I know our corporate event at the rail got nixed due to a price hike but hadn't thought about the parking until I pulled up and saw the new rate.

was at Toga for the first time this weekend - petty question but has all the parking gone up since last year by quite a jump? I know our corporate event at the rail got nixed due to a price hike but hadn't thought about the parking until I pulled up and saw the new rate.

Not really sure, but very likely the case as everything has gotten more expensive up there. Just give me a cooler with wheels and a picnic table. I'll spend my money at the window and if I walk out with more than I walked in with I am eating well.

where were you parking that rates went up? You can park for free across the road and thats pretty close to the front entrance. All the lots I saw were like $10-20 which was about normal I thought.. I didnt actually go see what the rates were for onsite parking though.

We had 1 day where it was supposed to rain so bought some of "the Stretch tickets" about $40 a piece, never rained so we didnt need them and sat in the picnic areas but we do go watch a couple races there.. You had some catered food service that was pricey as a perk.. Talked to the kid controlling the area and he said they are empty almost every day but the 2-3 bigger days a few people use them..

Travers should have a great field. KY Derby Winner, Preak Winner, Haskell Winner, Jim Dandy Winner. Charge It. 10 horse field most likely.

Thought Pletcher might try the filly Nest in here but going to the Alabama I believe

I've been parking at same lot behind a house on Nelson a block from track for at least 20 years that holds like 100 cars. I've paid $10 both times this year Travers might be $25. They built an addition on their house a few years ago which I feel like I've helped pay for.

Travers should have a great field. KY Derby Winner, Preak Winner, Haskell Winner, Jim Dandy Winner. Charge It. 10 horse field most likely.

Thought Pletcher might try the filly Nest in here but going to the Alabama I believe
Looking forward to it. My only recent Travers winners are Keen Ice and West Coast. My nephew had a nice payday with Catholic Boy.

I've been parking at same lot behind a house on Nelson a block from track for at least 20 years that holds like 100 cars. I've paid $10 both times this year Travers might be $25. They built an addition on their house a few years ago which I feel like I've helped pay for.

There is decent parking around the track at a reasonable rate

Looking forward to it. My only recent Travers winners are Keen Ice and West Coast. My nephew had a nice payday with Catholic Boy.

Crushed Arrogate, singled him everywhere. I had Keen Ice as well. AP ran his race the day before, got too pumped up out there when they sent him out on the track for the crowd to see. Frosted and Jose Lezcano really dogged him around the track as well which I had kind of forgotten about prior to watching again. Frosted did the dirty work. Frosted Met Mile still one of the more impressive races I have ever seen.

Betting against Baffert favorites can be suicide but when it proves to be successful it really pays. Biggest score I ever had I beat two heavy Baffert faves in a pick 4 sequence at Santa Anita 4-5 years ago

Betting against Baffert favorites can be suicide but when it proves to be successful it really pays. Biggest score I ever had I beat two heavy Baffert faves in a pick 4 sequence at Santa Anita 4-5 years ago

Yep, funny you say that...I saw both sides this weekend at Del Mar.

2800 pick 4 score on Sat loading up on a Baffert first timer and a Good Magic 2 year old (they all try super hard!) in the Sorrento.

Then came back on Sunday and loaded up against him with 2 Bolt D'oro 2 year olds in The Best Pal and got smoked.

Crushed Arrogate, singled him everywhere. I had Keen Ice as well. AP ran his race the day before, got too pumped up out there when they sent him out on the track for the crowd to see. Frosted and Jose Lezcano really dogged him around the track as well which I had kind of forgotten about prior to watching again. Frosted did the dirty work. Frosted Met Mile still one of the more impressive races I have ever seen.

I'll take a Baffert/Mike Smith combo pretty much everytime. I'll go to my grave saying that he didn't fly Mike Smith in to ride one race and not expect to win.

I'll take a Baffert/Mike Smith combo pretty much everytime. I'll go to my grave saying that he didn't fly Mike Smith in to ride one race and not expect to win.

When they travel for sure. In california I will pause. Before Baffert really got himself into hot water a few years ago he had a day at Belmont ( met mile day?)where he just couldn't lose and I think Smith rode 2 or 3 of 4 stakes winners

Yep, funny you say that...I saw both sides this weekend at Del Mar.

2800 pick 4 score on Sat loading up on a Baffert first timer and a Good Magic 2 year old (they all try super hard!) in the Sorrento.

Then came back on Sunday and loaded up against him with 2 Bolt D'oro 2 year olds in The Best Pal and got smoked.

He had a first time 2 yo arrogate starter Saturday that ran a 101 beyer? Serioulsy? and that is sprinting where most arrogate babies have been better with distance added.

2 year old colts have been better at Del Mar, fillies Saratoga. I thought the winner of the saratoga special. Damons mound? Looked solid. Gulfport checked really hard though and the race was over at that point. I think Gulfport will run back in the 2 yo stake on last day at Saratoga and at least be even $. He's a nice horse too just got in a bad spot which Rosario will do from time to time.

How good is Big Invasion sprinting on grass. 3 year old too

He had a first time 2 yo arrogate starter Saturday that ran a 101 beyer? Serioulsy? and that is sprinting where most arrogate babies have been better with distance added.

Yep. 1st start at 6 and 1/2, went 44 and something for the half and Hernandez barely moved. CAVE ROCK.

Edit: Here's the race...

Yep. 1st start at 6 and 1/2, went 44 and something for the half and Hernandez barely moved. CAVE ROCK.

Edit: Here's the race...

REEDICULOUS. Monster. When he looks back he just put the hands down. Chirped once or twice and that was it. I did OK at Saratoga Sunday and of course after a few pops decided to start betting Del mar late. WHY? WHY ? Heat check bets and I have such a love hate relationship.

Last edited:
I really like Damon's Mound. Why? he was a homebred to a $6,500 stallion Girvin who is off to a fantastic start as a stallion to a mare that was decent race horse but nothing crazy not a huge pedigree. Just a small breeder from Texas that got lucky and they also have a smaller trainer in Michelle Lovell. I will be rooting for him. Good story, only imagine the offers they have had for him at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom