2022 Horse Racing | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Horse Racing

5-2 on MO I don't like. I am going to use creative minister and Barber Rd in pick 4 and 5. Card came up kind of lame with the a couple of very short fields. Quality fields yes but would have been nice to see a few more horses but there are still too many graded stakes races out there. Sucks the weather looks bad though.

I am looking forward to watching Flightline in the Met Mile
Hope you enjoyed Flightline. Hard to believe but my live feed got preempted by…wait for it - motocross. I nearly lost it.

Looking back it's incredible how dominant Secretariat was, like hardly any other horse or athlete has ever been. In 1973 he won the Triple Crown and set track records in all three races that still stand today. He won the Belmont (by 31 lengths) in 2:24.

Mo Donegal won today in 2:28:28 while American Pharaoh won the Belmont (and the triple crown in 2015) in 2:26:65.

I thought Mo was the best horse. But that wasnt gonna pay big so tossed him hoping one of the lessors would win.. didnt happen.. was hoping in the stretch Skippy could skip up.

I thought Mo was the best horse. But that wasnt gonna pay big so tossed him hoping one of the lessors would win.. didnt happen.. was hoping in the stretch Skippy could skip up.
You and me both, brother. Convinced myself We The People and Creative Minister would slug it out. I now have to remind myself what my Uncle used to tell me when I first started handicapping - “don’t look past winners”.

winning a couple hundred betting chalk on a day that has potential for big payouts doesnt do it for me. had this been the main on a Sat at Sar yeah I take MO and do a few $10-20 Ex and let it go and walk away a couple hundred ahead. But in these races where there is such money in the pool, take shots at big money.

Skippy got 3rd. The tri paid $95.. if it gets first it probably pays 3-5 K even with the chalk 2-3.. You wouldnt see that on a normal day with a 11/1 over 5/2 over 5/1

Preface this with I don't know anything. I've got some good results poker money to waste so I'm doing this:

2 Tri-Boxes with Mo Donegal, Creative Minister, and all in the last spot. The other one is Mo Donegal, Nest, and all in the last spot. Not believing in Rich Strike or We the people.
According to the post race chart my ticket of 6-3-All will pay $187.50

Wow- Jack Christopher just dominated the Woody Stephens, just exploded in the stretch. Look forward to seeing him in Saratoga.

Looks like Jack will be running in the Haskell on the stretch out. He is a son of Munnings so we shall see how far he wants to go. Be a good test but he has tremendous natural speed and doesn't need the lead either. Looks special. Be nice to see him in the Met Mile next year

Last edited:
winning a couple hundred betting chalk on a day that has potential for big payouts doesnt do it for me. had this been the main on a Sat at Sar yeah I take MO and do a few $10-20 Ex and let it go and walk away a couple hundred ahead. But in these races where there is such money in the pool, take shots at big money.

Skippy got 3rd. The tri paid $95.. if it gets first it probably pays 3-5 K even with the chalk 2-3.. You wouldnt see that on a normal day with a 11/1 over 5/2 over 5/1

Agreed, I lost everything in the Grass race before the Belmont. They just let the speed go to easy up front. 50 for the first half in a grade one. Trying to understand why the other jocks just let him go like that. I think they were all waiting for someone else to chase him. 4 of 5 in the pick 5, 5 of 6 in the pick 6. Little frustrating but the horse did look like the only speed on paper so in hindsight would have been smart to include. Singled Flightline in everything so was feeling pretty good with 4 horses in the last 2 races but came up empty

Agreed, I lost everything in the Grass race before the Belmont. They just let the speed go to easy up front. 50 for the first half in a grade one. Trying to understand why the other jocks just let him go like that. I think they were all waiting for someone else to chase him. 4 of 5 in the pick 5, 5 of 6 in the pick 6. Little frustrating but the horse did look like the only speed on paper so in hindsight would have been smart to include. Singled Flightline in everything so was feeling pretty good with 4 horses in the last 2 races but came up empty
That front runner in the grass race, I believe, was 19/1 and appeared on paper to be the lone speed. Instead of seeing the value and betting on it, I chose instead to burn some more money on Gufo. Manny Franco must have been smiling ear to ear as he got away with those fractions.

That front runner in the grass race, I believe, was 19/1 and appeared on paper to be the lone speed. Instead of seeing the value and betting on it, I chose instead to burn some more money on Gufo. Manny Franco must have been smiling ear to ear as he got away with those fractions.
Channel Maker's stumble screwed everyone. He would have at least put pressure on him. He just won that race at Keenland sitting right on the speed and won a race gate to wire at Belmont in 2020

Channel Maker's stumble screwed everyone. He would have at least put pressure on him. He just won that race at Keenland sitting right on the speed and won a race gate to wire at Belmont in 2020
Yes, forgot about him. The stumble paved the way.

Yes, forgot about him. The stumble paved the way.
Good point on channel maker. I kind of forgot about that as I was so irritated after getting knocked out. I didn’t watch the race replay. I am always amazed at times what NY jocks will let speed get away with on the grass. You see it all too often, speed horse allowed to set soft fractions up front, they turn for home and the horse extends the lead and 3-4 horses come closing only to run out of real estate as the horse on the lead wins

Last edited:
Won over $30 on three two zone on a $2 WPS at the spa. Lot's of nice payouts so far so I've changed up my strategy a little bit. Still pissed I didn't bet Chad Brown's four horses as a superfecta yesterday.

Has someone got web/app that tracks horse when they show up in their next race.. All these bettings apps and i would think some would have a way to put a horse in and the next time it races it lets you know.

Has someone got web/app that tracks horse when they show up in their next race.. All these bettings apps and i would think some would have a way to put a horse in and the next time it races it lets you know.

They do. Virtual stables in TwinSpires is decent enough

Also virtual stables at equibase.com. Not sure if that is the same as Twin Spires but you get all their entries and workouts.

thanks i will have to tale a look..

Yeah you can start a virtual stable on equibase. You will get e-mail notifications when the horse is entered and when the horse works and also the results of the races as well

I generally only bet full card west coast tracks and big stakes days elsewhere, but with no west coast this past week, I dug into Saratoga and tried my hand...got absolutely smoked.

I tried to figure out anything from the results but honestly did see much past Rosario was out playing his odds on turf.

Any tried and true angles you guys go with at Saratoga?

I generally only bet full card west coast tracks and big stakes days elsewhere, but with no west coast this past week, I dug into Saratoga and tried my hand...got absolutely smoked.

I tried to figure out anything from the results but honestly did see much past Rosario was out playing his odds on turf.

I had a great Friday and Sunday and missed the last race for a huge pick 5 on Saturday. amazing what no racing on Monday's does to Saratoga on a Sunday afternoon. I spent the night there Sunday and it was pretty dead at the track later in the day. Restaurants were still pretty busy though

I am sure they have their reasoning but when they went to 5 days a week as opposed to 6 I always felt they should have dropped Wednesday's and kept Mondays.

I use Rosario in every turf sprint regardless of odds in every race. He won 2 on Sunday going 5-1/2 on turf. Granted they were both favored but singled them both in multi race bets and it paid off. His ability to get a horse to relax and finish without much use of the whip really is incredible. Great hands and clock in his head. His patience can drive you insane at times though. More than paid for dinner and a nice bottle of wine Sunday night.

Right now after the first 4 days it looks like speed was solid on the dirt, off the pace on the grass

I use Rosario in every turf sprint regardless of odds in every race. He won 2 on Sunday going 5-1/2 on turf. Granted they were both favored but singled them both in multi race bets and it paid off. His ability to get a horse to relax and finish without much use of the whip really is incredible. Great hands and clock in his head. His patience can drive you insane at times though. More than paid for dinner and a nice bottle of wine Sunday night.

Right now after the first 4 days it looks like speed was solid on the dirt, off the pace on the grass
Yeah, he embarrassed the field on City Man. I was on basically every other horse...felt like a dummy watching him glide home.

The NY Bred races seem to be impossible to handicap to me...maybe because I don't follow the sires or whatever.

So you think it's just a matter of betting horizontals, finding the single and spreading in the random claiming and NY Bred races?

Saratoga smokes a lot of people, so don't feel bad. The dirt racing is generally pretty formful, but you get all kinds of prices on the turf, so I'm always comfortable taking my shots there. Considering all the races he wins, Clement horses often win at nice prices, especially his firsters. As an aside, the jockey colony for this meet might be the deepest and strongest I've ever seen there.

Saratoga smokes a lot of people, so don't feel bad. The dirt racing is generally pretty formful, but you get all kinds of prices on the turf, so I'm always comfortable taking my shots there. Considering all the races he wins, Clement horses often win at nice prices, especially his firsters. As an aside, the jockey colony for this meet might be the deepest and strongest I've ever seen there.
Yeah, selfishly, sad to see Prat out there, such an easy bet at Santa Anita.

Luckily we got Rispoli back for Del Mar, plan to lean on him a ton on Turf. Fully expect him to be 27-30% easy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom