2022 Mets thread | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

While I feel like the Mets' rotation is getting stronger the Braves' is showing chinks in the armor. Bigtime emotional series getting 4 out of 5 and the 12th game in a row since the last day off with 3 more vs Cincy. Need to avoid a letdown and keep distancing ourselves so when a slump does hit, like you are seeing the Yanks go through now, it doesn't ratchet up the heat too much.

Winning tomorrow is just as important. The Braves ate up almost all of that 10 1/2 game lead by beating up on everybody but the Mets. They can go right back to that and they will be super-motivated next week. We'll want a lead we can't lose going into that series.

Amazingly, that's the third time he's scored from first on a double this year!

You'll notice nobody got in his way.

Lol. Until Marek decides to pickup baseball.

A look around social media and wow are the Braves fans on there a sensitive bunch. Every excuse in the books including blaming the umps. Baseball when played the right way is a simple game. Put the ball in play as a hitter. Avoid striking out at all costs. Atlanta needs more plate discipline. Their young pitcher should hold the smack talk as well.

Everybody will be 0-0 when the playoffs start. the Mets had the best team in the league in 1988 and 2006 and lost to teams they had dominated during the season who went on to win the World Series. Then there was 1973 when we beat the Reds, 1999 when we beat the D-Backs, 2000 when we beat the Giants and Cardinals and 2015 when we beat the Dodgers and the Cubs. Oh, and 1969 when we beat the Orioles. All upsets if any post season series can be called an upset in baseball, where everything is done in rotations and there's almost no physical contact with the other team.
Yup.

At this point, I’d see the Mets, Braves, and Padres as “any bodies series” against my Dodgers in the playoffs.

Truly believe the Dodgers had the best team in 2019 and the best team the Dodgers have had in this 2013-present run, and they lost in round 1 to Washington, who won it all. Anything can happen in one series, particularly when the talent is relatively close as it is with the Dodgers, Mets, Padres, and Braves.

I do believe that given “good” health the Dodgers are the deepest….but in this be series that doesn’t always matter, and who knows what the health picture will look like come September and October.

Winning tomorrow is just as important. The Braves ate up almost all of that 10 1/2 game lead by beating up on everybody but the Mets. They can go right back to that and they will be super-motivated next week. We'll want a lead we can't lose going into that series.
Phillies are red hot too and closing in on the Braves. We have 7 games with them in the next two weeks wrapped around the four game Braves series. Then two with the Yankees right after. Probably the most important two week stretch we have left.

A look around social media and wow are the Braves fans on there a sensitive bunch. Every excuse in the books including blaming the umps. Baseball when played the right way is a simple game. Put the ball in play as a hitter. Avoid striking out at all costs. Atlanta needs more plate discipline. Their young pitcher should hold the smack talk as well.
Ha, you just never know what you’re going to get on social media. I went to a Dodgers-Braves game in Atlanta a few months ago with a few others. We all had Dodgers gear on…..hardly anybody said a word to us until the last couple innings when the crowd was largely drunk and the Braves pulled out a close game. Even then, with a sold out crowd, the Fan trash talking we experienced was mild to mostly non existent.

Point being - social media “fans” are a wild card. Who knows when you’re talking to a CuseRunner? I dealt with Braves fans in a sold out weekend multi year playoff rematch in a game they won, and was disappointed with how little heckling and ball breaking I received. They were actually pretty nice.

Last edited:
I follow the Braves beat reporters on Twitter, but don't usually read the comments to their posts. I held out hope, but the Mets are just better this year. I like Fried, Morton and Wright in the rotation, but I admit they don't match up to Max and DeGrom when they are both healthy. I still have a question if Strider will hold up with the increase in innings as a starter. I'm glad Ian Anderson was finally sent to AAA. The guy has just been brutal this year. He can't find the strike zone - led the league in walks. That resulted in the games just taking absolutely forever in the 4 or 5 innings before he hit 100 pitches. I truly hated watching games he pitched this year, and that was the one game we won this series.

Braves just aren't the same team as last year. Losing Albies has hurt. Olson has had a solid year but he's not as good as Freddie. No shame in that, but it's still a downgrade imho. Michael Harris has been a revelation in the outfield, but Acuna has been a shell of himself since coming back. Rosario certainly hasn't been what we hoped, mostly for injury reasons. Losing Duvall hurt because he was really starting to hit the last few weeks before he left. The last 2 years of Ozuna's contract can't go fast enough.

But you didn't come to this thread to read about the Braves :)

I follow the Braves beat reporters on Twitter, but don't usually read the comments to their posts. I held out hope, but the Mets are just better this year. I like Fried, Morton and Wright in the rotation, but I admit they don't match up to Max and DeGrom when they are both healthy. I still have a question if Strider will hold up with the increase in innings as a starter. I'm glad Ian Anderson was finally sent to AAA. The guy has just been brutal this year. He can't find the strike zone - led the league in walks. That resulted in the games just taking absolutely forever in the 4 or 5 innings before he hit 100 pitches. I truly hated watching games he pitched this year, and that was the one game we won this series.

Braves just aren't the same team as last year. Losing Albies has hurt. Olson has had a solid year but he's not as good as Freddie. No shame in that, but it's still a downgrade imho. Michael Harris has been a revelation in the outfield, but Acuna has been a shell of himself since coming back. Rosario certainly hasn't been what we hoped, mostly for injury reasons. Losing Duvall hurt because he was really starting to hit the last few weeks before he left. The last 2 years of Ozuna's contract can't go fast enough.

But you didn't come to this thread to read about the Braves :)

Yeah the losses plus injuries make it really tough. When you rely so much on the long ball you have to have some small ball guys still. Plus defensively yall were a mess this series.

Keeping a title team together and playing with the same fire and consistency is so difficult. That massive winning streak and the run that was part of it was impressive. Right now though sure feels the the dam could break and you have a surging Phillies team licking their chops.

Yeah, DeGrom and Diaz are really lucky.

I'm looking forward to a game late in the season when DeGrom is ready to throw 100 pitches and takes us all the way to Diaz. That would be very 'lucky'.

The most innings Strider has ever pitched in a year is 94. He is already at 89.2 right now.

I think his only chance to play in October is if he is taken out of the rotation and put in the bullpen.

Maybe the Braves are going to throw the dice and hope he can take a huge increase in workload without a problem.

Good luck to him. Not doubt he is a competitor and has some talent.

Ha, you just never know what you’re going to get on social media. I went to a Dodgers-Braves game in several miles outside of Atlanta a few months ago with a few others. ...

Fixed.

---- the Braves.

I guess he forgot to realize that to get lucky hits you actually have to hit the ball.

That was a fun series to watch.

Some random things I wanted to mention...

Great call by Buck on the suicide squeeze with Nido. Who executed it perfectly.

Pete Alonzo isn't fast but that doesn't stop him from being a good baserunner. He got a great jump coming from first to get in Swanson's face to help break up a double play and later in the same game, did a really nice job sliding under Arnauld's knee to get his foot to the plate in a close play at home.

Riley made a poor throw way too high. Travis made a nice catch and was forced to do a blind spin to try and block the plate and tag Pete.

Pete could have taken Travis out and possibly ended his career but chose to slid under him instead. It was still a big collision. Travis had the advantage of wearing that armor on his leg but Pete is a lot bigger and stronger and all Mets fans know how injury prone Travis is. He had to leave the game and was not able to play on Sunday. The Mets announcers said he was expected to miss a few games. Hope he is better soon.

Harris and Acuna were big factors limiting the Mets scoring chances. Harris has a good arm. Acuna has a great one. And he made a fantastic catch to steal an HR from Alonso. Not a fan of Acuna's mustard attire (very appropriate for him) but it was clear he was playing hurt and he was still hustling his butt off trying to play on one leg. Hope he is better soon. Surprised the Braves played him both games of the doubleheader. By the end of the second game, he looked like he was 45 years old.

The Mets apparently went into the game Sunday with 3 pitchers available. deGrom, Rodriguez and Diaz. This is what the NY Post article below says. I think it is wrong because I think Adonis Medina was also available. He was certainly up and throwing in the bullpen late. Still had to be very scary for Buck to go into the game with such a dire situation with the bullpen.

deGrom was limited to 75 pitches. It is really hard to get through 6 innings throwing 75 pitches but Jake did it by basically pitching a perfect game until the very end. Awesome job by him. So good to have him back.

Rodriguez has been awful almost all season but he rose to the occasion. Looks like the staff has made some adjustments and had him feature his changeup almost exclusively. It would be great if he is able to pitch like this the rest of the season.

At this point, I think we are all taking Diaz for granted. I have taken him to task on this board a number of times for poor pitching. It is only fair to note that he has been tremendous this year. His talent has always been clear. It is nice to see him pitching now to his full potential.

That missed call by Jeff Nelson on the phantom tag of Nimmo in the first inning yesterday was bad but his decision to ignore his mistake and the huge impact it had the game was unacceptable. I hope he gets disciplined. The review system is doing a great job of exposing the incompetent umpires and Nelson is one of them. The guy who was trying to do balls and strikes yesterday (same guy who managed to get hit by a ball in the butt in a crucial situation a couple of games before to take a sure out from the Mets) is just as bad.

The pitching duals between the Maxes and deGrom and Strider were fun to watch. Max and Jacob were really impressive.

I was surprised at all the empty seats in CitiField for these games. I would think all of them would be sell outs. What is going on with that? How can people not want to watch this team play when they are playing this well?

Next up Cincinnati. They got off to that awful start (maybe 3-22?) but have been 41-41 since. Believe I heard that they have won 6 of their last 8 series. splitting one and losing only one. They are playing much better and this is not going to be an easy series for the Mets, who could very well be flat after such an emotional series against Atlanta.

Tonight, Justin Dunn will start for the Reds. He has been hurt. Was a former first round pick for the Mets traded away in the Diaz trade, now on the Reds. It will be interesting to see how he does against Bassitt.

Give them credit and move on. Youth mistake he will learn. Not how to respond to getting pulled before the 4th inning.

He got squeezed that last inning. I can understand his frustration. Your point stands though.

Pete Alonzo isn't fast but that doesn't stop him from being a good baserunner. He got a great jump coming from first to get in Swanson's face to help break up a double play and later in the same game, did a really nice job sliding under Arnauld's knee to get his foot to the plate in a close play at home.

Riley made a poor throw way too high. Travis made a nice catch and was forced to do a blind spin to try and block the plate and tag Pete.

Pete could have taken Travis out and possibly ended his career but chose to slid under him instead. It was still a big collision. Travis had the advantage of wearing that armor on his leg but Pete is a lot bigger and stronger and all Mets fans know how injury prone Travis is. He had to leave the game and was not able to play on Sunday. The Mets announcers said he was expected to miss a few games. Hope he is better soon.

Harris and Acuna were big factors limiting the Mets scoring chances. Harris has a good arm. Acuna has a great one. And he made a fantastic catch to steal an HR from Alonso. Not a fan of Acuna's mustard attire (very appropriate for him) but it was clear he was playing hurt and he was still hustling his butt off trying to play on one leg. Hope he is better soon. Surprised the Braves played him both games of the doubleheader. By the end of the second game, he looked like he was 45 years old.

The Mets apparently went into the game Sunday with 3 pitchers available. deGrom, Rodriguez and Diaz. This is what the NY Post article below says. I think it is wrong because I think Adonis Medina was also available. He was certainly up and throwing in the bullpen late. Still had to be very scary for Buck to go into the game with such a dire situation with the bullpen.

deGrom was limited to 75 pitches. It is really hard to get through 6 innings throwing 75 pitches but Jake did it by basically pitching a perfect game until the very end. Awesome job by him. So good to have him back.

Rodriguez has been awful almost all season but he rose to the occasion. Looks like the staff has made some adjustments and had him feature his changeup almost exclusively. It would be great if he is able to pitch like this the rest of the season.

At this point, I think we are all taking Diaz for granted. I have taken him to task on this board a number of times for poor pitching. It is only fair to note that he has been tremendous this year. His talent has always been clear. It is nice to see him pitching now to his full potential.

That missed call by Jeff Nelson on the phantom tag of Nimmo in the first inning yesterday was bad but his decision to ignore his mistake and the huge impact it had the game was unacceptable. I hope he gets disciplined. The review system is doing a great job of exposing the incompetent umpires and Nelson is one of them. The guy who was trying to do balls and strikes yesterday (same guy who managed to get hit by a ball in the butt in a crucial situation a couple of games before to take a sure out from the Mets) is just as bad.

The pitching duals between the Maxes and deGrom and Strider were fun to watch. Max and Jacob were really impressive.

I was surprised at all the empty seats in CitiField for these games. I would think all of them would be sell outs. What is going on with that? How can people not want to watch this team play when they are playing this well?

Next up Cincinnati. They got off to that awful start (maybe 3-22?) but have been 41-41 since. Believe I heard that they have won 6 of their last 8 series. splitting one and losing only one. They are playing much better and this is not going to be an easy series for the Mets, who could very well be flat after such an emotional series against Atlanta.

Tonight, Justin Dunn will start for the Reds. He has been hurt. Was a former first round pick for the Mets traded away in the Diaz trade, now on the Reds. It will be interesting to see how he does against Bassitt.

Good stuff. One thing to add about Cincy is they went deep into their pen in all 3 games of their series in Milwaukee leasing up to today. So that may help us a little. To your point they are indeed playing much better though. Reds never really have been an easy out even with bad records over the years.

the fact that they messed up the same play in Miami and then let him go to 2nd base is a bit puzzling.. if you call a guy out its not like he is allowed to continue running the bases willy nilly.. Of course its also an issue with the whole replay rule.. Say they call Nimmo out and never tag him and then he is safe on replay but then the throw to first goes wild and the runner at first continues to 3rd Where do you put Nimmo then? what if the runner at first does Nimmo score on a play he never touches any of the bases?

A "My Take" for Mets games...this is a good combination of two of my favorite things!

298223045_10102668741831800_3366334894466809761_n.jpg

CB is not good at his job. Mets were still the better team - no excuses

Ha, you just never know what you’re going to get on social media. I went to a Dodgers-Braves game in Atlanta a few months ago with a few others. We all had Dodgers gear on…..hardly anybody said a word to us until the last couple innings when the crowd was largely drunk and the Braves pulled out a close game. Even then, with a sold out crowd, the Fan trash talking we experienced was mild to mostly non existent.

Point being - social media “fans” are a wild card. Who knows when you’re talking to a CuseRunner? I dealt with Braves fans in a sold out weekend multi year playoff rematch in a game they won, and was disappointed with how little heckling and ball breaking I received. They were actually pretty nice.
I would never attend a game at Dodger Stadium game in opponents gear. Your fans get too stabby for my taste.