2022 Mets thread | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

we struggled 4 of the last 5 games to score and the same thing happened a couple weeks ago and then we scored like crazy for a week.

we struggled 4 of the last 5 games to score and the same thing happened a couple weeks ago and then we scored like crazy for a week.
We had Marrero and Perez hitting 8th and 9th. They are both pretty hopeless as hitters.

If we can get Baty and McCann in there, it will help. Nido too if he becomes available.

Baty becomes the 4th Met to homer in his first big league at bat. Marte and Lindor have also gone deep, 4-0.

Now let's see if Scherzer can get though the &^%^&$! second inning! :mad:

Baty becomes the 4th Met to homer in his first big league at bat. Marte and Lindor have also gone deep, 4-0.

Now let's see if Scherzer can get though the &^%^&$! second inning! :mad:
Baty is actually the fifth Met to homer in his first at bat,

Benny Ayala
Mike Fitzgerald
Kaz Matsui
Mike Jacobs

Let’s hope he has a better career than the first four. I think he will. He has a great swing.

Last edited:
And, of course, the rains come in the top of the 3rd! :mad:

They said under current rules, at worst this would be a suspended game, so Baty keeps his home run. :)

worse that if the start much more then 15 min from now max probably doesnt come back so that would be 3 games in a row. and tomorrow is iffy anyway..

Alonso's been a absolute mess at the plate for last couple of weeks. If I'm Chavez, he's doing t work driving outer half balls to right center field. Let him do that until stops dropping that back shoulder and pulling off (two bad mechanics he's doing simultaneously).

Scherzer bobbles a comebacker, (tough play on a wet field), and the double play gets overturned, (looked like he was safe - barely) and Otto gives up a three-run shot to their #9 hitter. :confused::mad:

My summers used to be so relaxing when the Mets were out of it by August...

Some highlights from tonight's game:

Last edited:
Last night was a nice victory. I went to bed just after Marte hit his second HR. Was happy to see they were able to hold on. It is a shame Buck had to use Ottovino, Diaz and May to get the win.

Heard some criticism that Buck should have left Diaz in to pitch the ninth, which I disagree with. That would have definitely made him not available for today. Also, the Mets were only up 1 when he pitched the eighth inning and it was against the heart of the Braves lineup. Once the Mets put up 3 insurance runs, I think it was a no brainer to bring in someone else to finish things out. Wish Trevor did a better job. It looks like he has good stuff since he came back but he hasn't been very effective and I think it is because he is not locating his pitches very well.

I see Max Fried is scheduled to pitch for the Braves tonight. They hurried him back from his concussion to face the Mets. Hope he is okay. Should be a good matchup against deGrom.

Then we have a 4 game series against the Phillies in 3 days.

Friday night Bassitt vs Nola
Saturday game 1 ? vs ?
Saturday game 2 ? vs ?
Sunday vs ? vs Gibson

I know the Mets plan to start Peterson and Trevor Williams in the doubleheader. Carrasco would have normally pitched one of those games.

No idea who starts Sunday. It is Walker's turn but Buck says it is unlikely he is going to start. Might be a bullpen game but that will be tough coming out of Saturday, when it is likely the bullpen will be heavily used to complete both games of the doubleheader. Peterson has been pitching 4 innings pretty consistently for the Syracuse Mets (no idea why so few innings).

The next guy would be Thomas Szapucki. But he was traded. Maybe Medina.

I fear we are going to see a lot of runs scored for the Phillies this weekend. On the positive side, they were shut out last night by the Reds and lost 1-0.

Then comes a 2 game series against the Yankees.

Monday Scherzer vs German if they stay with their rotation
Tuesday deGrom vs Montas if they stay with their rotation

Last night was a nice victory. I went to bed just after Marte hit his second HR. Was happy to see they were able to hold on. It is a shame Buck had to use Ottovino, Diaz and May to get the win.

Heard some criticism that Buck should have left Diaz in to pitch the ninth, which I disagree with. That would have definitely made him not available for today. Also, the Mets were only up 1 when he pitched the eighth inning and it was against the heart of the Braves lineup. Once the Mets put up 3 insurance runs, I think it was a no brainer to bring in someone else to finish things out. Wish Trevor did a better job. It looks like he has good stuff since he came back but he hasn't been very effective and I think it is because he is not locating his pitches very well.

I see Max Fried is scheduled to pitch for the Braves tonight. They hurried him back from his concussion to face the Mets. Hope he is okay. Should be a good matchup against deGrom.

Then we have a 4 game series against the Phillies in 3 days.

Friday night Bassitt vs Nola
Saturday game 1 ? vs ?
Saturday game 2 ? vs ?
Sunday vs ? vs Gibson

I know the Mets plan to start Peterson and Trevor Williams in the doubleheader. Carrasco would have normally pitched one of those games.

No idea who starts Sunday. It is Walker's turn but Buck says it is unlikely he is going to start. Might be a bullpen game but that will be tough coming out of Saturday, when it is likely the bullpen will be heavily used to complete both games of the doubleheader. Peterson has been pitching 4 innings pretty consistently for the Syracuse Mets (no idea why so few innings).

The next guy would be Thomas Szapucki. But he was traded. Maybe Medina.

I fear we are going to see a lot of runs scored for the Phillies this weekend. On the positive side, they were shut out last night by the Reds and lost 1-0.

Then comes a 2 game series against the Yankees.

Monday Scherzer vs German if they stay with their rotation
Tuesday deGrom vs Montas if they stay with their rotation
Tonight would be an ideal night for a rainout. Would push deGrom to the Phillies series and take some pressure off our underwhelming bullpen. The Mets come back to Atlanta September 30 - October 2. Doubleheader can be played then with hopefully healthier pitchers. I fear this Phillies series could be a mess for us the way it’s currently set up.

Tonight would be an ideal night for a rainout. Would push deGrom to the Phillies series and take some pressure off our underwhelming bullpen. The Mets come back to Atlanta September 30 - October 2. Doubleheader can be played then with hopefully healthier pitchers. I fear this Phillies series could be a mess for us the way it’s currently set up.
That would be awesome.

Looks extremely unlikely.

The weather for the series against the Phils in Philly also looks good.

I should mention that things matched up so that Noah Syndergaard was going to start against the Mets this weekend. But he reportedly begged the Phils to move him out so he didn't have to face them. Which they reportedly did.

To be fair, he has been getting an extra day or two of rest all season (the Angels did this for him) as he is still recovering from TJ surgery. But it doesn't look good for him.

That would be awesome.

Looks extremely unlikely.

The weather for the series against the Phils in Philly also looks good.

I should mention that things matched up so that Noah Syndergaard was going to start against the Mets this weekend. But he reportedly begged the Phils to move him out so he didn't have to face them. Which they reportedly did.

To be fair, he has been getting an extra day or two of rest all season (the Angels did this for him) as he is still recovering from TJ surgery. But it doesn't look good for him.
Would have loved to face Syndergaard. Oh well.

Also, I just realized how important winning the division is. With this new wildcard format, the 5 and 6 seeds have no home games in the wildcard round. All three games are on the road, which is brutal. The two bottom wildcard teams will have to play five road games before getting a home game in Game 3 of the LDS, if they last that long.

Fortunately, the Phils are 10 1/2 back. The problem, of course, is that braves hardly ever lose when not playing the Mets and they could go off on another run while our lead is vulnerable. They said last night that the braves record since June 1st is the best in baseball history of any team that had a losing record at that point.

The good news is that the Braves will be playing a formidable opponent while we play in Philly: the Astros. They also have seven games in September against Philadelphia so our two pursuers will be trying to knock each other off while our schedule gets easier.

Would have loved to face Syndergaard. Oh well.

Also, I just realized how important winning the division is. With this new wildcard format, the 5 and 6 seeds have no home games in the wildcard round. All three games are on the road, which is brutal. The two bottom wildcard teams will have to play five road games before getting a home game in Game 3 of the LDS, if they last that long.

Yes, we have actual pennant races that mean something again.

Keith kept referencing "Harry Walker in the 1946 World Series". Here's what he's talking about:

Harry Walker hit the double. Enos 'Country Slaughter' scored from first, (it's often remembered as scoring on a single, but it was a double.) Tonight, Buck took out DeGrom on an infield single, (our old pal Grissom), with two out. Lugo gives up a seeing eye grounder and Grisson gets a great jump and never stops running until he gets home and just gets a hand in there as he slides by home plate. Mets lose, 2-3 and 3 of 4 in the series to finish up by 3 1/2, which is where they were before the 5 game series in Citi.

Last edited:
With the doubleheader coming up, Carrasco and Walker out and the unreliable bullpen, I’m predicting the Mets drop three out of four this weekend. Think the Braves take two from the Astros since they are playing at home. Two game lead come Sunday night is my prediction. Hope I’m wrong and the Mets surprise me this weekend.

With the doubleheader coming up, Carrasco and Walker out and the unreliable bullpen, I’m predicting the Mets drop three out of four this weekend. Think the Braves take two from the Astros since they are playing at home. Two game lead come Sunday night is my prediction. Hope I’m wrong and the Mets surprise me this weekend.

I prefer hope to predictions.

I prefer hope to predictions.
If my hope meant anything, the Mets would be 10 time defending champions. Luckily, my predictions are usually terrible and I’d love to be wrong. Here’s hoping for a strong showing this weekend.

Good article on the Mets TV broadcasts. The director has been very innovative. The team is good and that alone would be enough for me, but he is doing a lot of cool stuff to make watching even more interesting.

Job done tonight, 7-2 but even the Astros can't beat the Braves, 2-6. Braves have now won 10 of 11 since their visit to New York.

If my hope meant anything, the Mets would be 10 time defending champions. Luckily, my predictions are usually terrible and I’d love to be wrong. Here’s hoping for a strong showing this weekend.

Frank Leahy once told a reporter that his goal was for Notre Dame to go undefeated ten years in a row. People were appalled at his arrogance. When I read that I was appalled by his lack of ambition. What would he want to do in the first game on the 11th season? Most coaches want to win EVERY game.

Frank Leahy once told a reporter that his goal was for Notre Dame to go undefeated ten years in a row. People were appalled at his arrogance. When I read that I was appalled by his lack of ambition. What would he want to do in the first game on the 11th season? Most coaches want to win EVERY game.
I like your way of thinking. I was too young to remember the 86 win. I grew up in a family of Yankee fans so I doubt they were watching anyway. Had to watch them celebrate five World Series wins. I’ll be ecstatic and over the moon whenever the Mets win one. Everything after that is gravy for me (at least for a few years).

Job done tonight, 7-2 but even the Astros can't beat the Braves, 2-6. Braves have now won 10 of 11 since their visit to New York.

Absent injury issues the only team it seems that can consistently beat them is the Mets.