2022 Mets thread | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

Absent injury issues the only team it seems that can consistently beat them is the Mets.

Who just lost three of four to them. They are going to be hard to hold off.

Who just lost three of four to them. They are going to be hard to hold off.

Correct but I do think its fair to point out th first two games were plagued by early exits from starters due to injury. There is no question the challenge in front of them.

Correct but I do think its fair to point out th first two games were plagued by early exits from starters due to injury. There is no question the challenge in front of them.
Agree. The Braves are legit. It looks likely that the Mets and the Braves will win at least 100 games this year.

The Mets announced today that Walker will not start tomorrow but might be available as soon as Tuesday (which is strange since I thought it was a done deal Scherzer and deGrom were starting Monday and Tuesday against the Yankees).

We need Walker to be healthy and taking his turn. We can survive losing Carassco for a month but it would really hurt to lose Walker too,

Props to Williams for again stepping up and pitching great today in the first game.

Perez made two great plays to help get the Mets that win. The first was a great catch and tag on a bad throw by Lindor when the Phils tried to pull off a double steal. The second was the big hit that broke the tie and put the Mets up 2-0.

Trevor outpitched Wheeler, which is pretty amazing. Peterson has struggled some pitching for the Syracuse Mets, where I don’t think he made it through the 5th inning since he was sent down. Hope he can get through 6 tonight. It looked like Diaz was coming in for the 9th but after they scored all those runs to extend the lead from 4-1, that plan changed. Used Ottovino, Lugo and Joely in game one.

Guessing May and Diaz will be asked to finish game 2.

And it looks like Jose Butto will make his MLB debut starting the game tomorrow. He has a good change up and throws 95 MPH. Control is not great. The bullpen is going to be heavily taxed. I think need to score some runs tomorrow to have a chance.

And the fact that we scored one run in those games. But we seem to be back on track.

It feels like Falter isn’t a great name for an mlb pitcher.

Mets are 9-0 against Nola and Wheeler?

Peterson pitched about as well as he did in Syracuse. I think demoting him to the bullpen and then to minors messed him up.

The Mets ability to keep it at 3-1 through all the threats has been amazing but we were stuck on that one run and now it's 1-4.

Happy my prediction about the Mets was wrong. Two out of three so far and hopefully three of four after tomorrow. The pitching was adequate today. Unfortunately, our hitting went cold in the second game. Need a much better effort tomorrow from the lineup as I’m not sure what the pitching situation will be.

The Braves have won 11 of their last 12. Lead is three. Will feel much better about our division chances if we are still in first by September 1st after the nightmare August schedule is over.

Butto might be a good pitcher some day but this is how he looked in Syracuse. Not much control, not much movement, tends to hang his change up, which is supposed to be his best pitch.

There just isn’t much to choose from in the minors. They even traded Szapucki at the trade deadline.

The next guys to come in are not good either.

We are going to need a lot of runs to have a chance today.

Butto might be a good pitcher some day but this is how he looked in Syracuse. Not much control, not much movement, tends to hang his change up, which is supposed to be his best pitch.

There just isn’t much to choose from in the minors. They even traded Szapucki at the trade deadline.

The next guys to come in are not good either.

We are going to need a lot of runs to have a chance today.

We need Carrasco, Walker and MeGill back.

This game could wind up being part of a "Met's greatest comebacks" filler for some future rain delay. We just need a couple more runs in this 9th inning, then Diaz.

I don't remember when I've seen so many 'home runs' that just slid past the left field foul pole.

Wow. What else can you say?

Not much. First time starter gets beat up, Canha goes off as his power seems to have returned, first time relief appearance for Fisher and he shuts the Phillies down and then Diaz has to hang on coming in rusty.

Great chance to beat up on the flailing bombers right now too with Max and Jake.

Bohm 6 Canha 5. But we win and the Braves don't. Back to 4.

Great chance to beat up on the flailing bombers right now too with Max and Jake.
Have they mentioned if Walker is ready yet. Heard they would slide him in deGrom’s place if he’s ready.

Have they mentioned if Walker is ready yet. Heard they would slide him in deGrom’s place if he’s ready.

I haven't heard. I admittedly was watching in spurts today.

The way the Braves are playing right now if the Mets can keep pace and have some distance it's very possible that the end of Sept series could be a battle for the division with the 2nd and 3rd best records in the majors going up against one another. Houston may have something to say about that of course.

Another in a long line of improbable wins. As the season progresses, it seems more and more that this might be a team of destiny. Still a lot of baseball to be played, but there is something special going on.

Butto was horrific in the first but he found himself and pitched much better after that. Buck probably left him in one inning too late but I don’t think we win if he doesn’t get through 4 innings.

He has a good fastball that perhaps with better mechanics can get up to the 96-97 mph range. His calling card has been his change up all through the minors but he left it up in the zone too often and got hurt with it (that was what was hit for the 3 run HR that was the key play of the first inning). When he settled down, he started getting his big breaking ball over as well as his fastball. Give him a full season in AAA, don’t trade him and I think we have a passable starting pitcher here.

Fisher looked better than any lefty reliever we have had since we lost Loup last season. Nice breaking all, pretty good fastball and he threw strikes. He might stay up with the big club for a while. BTW, Clay, another lefty recently called up, also did not look half bad earlier in the series.

Baty looked like an overwhelmed rookie most of the series. That is going to happen with a young player, I hope he can keep his confidence up and make some adjustments. He has a lot of veteran hitters to help him andI think they will over time.

Perez started again at catcher and looked good offensively and defensively again. Sad that we lost Mazeika. The Giants picked him up. They do a nice job picking up useful players off waivers.

Nice to see Canha playing well. Seems he has stepped things up since Naquin arrived and threatened his playing time. Did you see the bat flip he did after the HR to take the lead in the ninth? It was pretty show boat and not like him at all. I don’t blame him though. That was a huge hit.

Diaz has struggled to throw his slider 2 appearances in a row. It didn’t have much movement and he struggled to throw it for strikes. Hope he is okay and this is not a sign his arm is bothering him. He was still throwing around 100 mph with his fastball anyway…..

Sounds like the Mets would like to use Walker instead of deGrom Tuesday. Guessing that means they would like to give Jake an extra day of rest. Which is great but if it results in Walker pitching too early from his injury, that would not be good either. I guess if I had to risk losing one pitcher for the rest of the season, it would be Walker. I will say I bet whoever ends up starting is unlikely to go more than 5 innings. Buck will not push them.

Wednesday is a travel day, so someone is going to get a couple of extra days rest before their next start. Then we have a 4 game series with the Rockies, who are horrific on the road, at Citi Field, then another ‘travel’ day on Monday, then a 3 game series in NYC against the Dodgers.

So I think the rotation looks like this for the next week:

Monday vs Yanks at Yankee Stadium: German vs Scherzer
Tuesday vs Yanks at Yankee Stadium: Montas vs deGrom or Walker (thinking Walker)
Wednesday off
Thursday vs Rockies at Citi Field: TBD vs deGrom?
Friday vs Rockies at Citi Field: TBD vs Bassitt? (he could pitch Thursday but want to give him an extra day)
Saturday vs Rockies at Citi Field: TBD vs Scherzer (or Peterson or Williams if they want to give Max more time). I would give it to Williams.
Sunday vs Rockies at Citi Field: TBD vs Scherzer?
Monday off
Tuesday vs Dodgers at Citi Field: TBD vs Walker?
Wednesday vs Dodgers at Citi Field: TBD vs deGrom?
Thursday vs Dodgers at Citi Field: TBD vs Bassitt?

If we do it like this, we give everyone extra rest. It is an older rotation and I think it is wise to give them some extra time to recover. Want to keep them fresh for the playoffs as best we can.

After this comes series vs Washington (home), Pittsburgh (road), Miami (road), the Cubs (home) and the Pirates (home). That stretch right there is going to be a key one for the Mets. Gotta continue to beat up the bad teams. This team had done that well all year and it needs to continue.