2022 NFL Thread | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

2022 NFL Thread

It appears like the NFL concussion protocol is mainly a joke. Doctors who work for the teams are always going to be company men. Tyrod Taylor is suing the Chargers doctor right now for nearly dying 2 years ago. I don't think this is unique to the Dolphins.

At this point its the NFL hoping that. While McDaniel should have stepped in, if it was a head injury vs the Bills, to not let him back in that game…multiple levels of medical review “occurred” between then and last night.

Sure be mad at the Dolphins but if you’re the coach do you go against the team docs, and independent doc, the NFLPA and NFL’s review?

There’s a missing piece here. I think it’s going to be a top down mess thats discovered if people care to unravel it.

Coaches are paid to manage games and win. Id look at multiple other parts of the org. Medical staff, front and back office shot callers and others will go down before the HC imo.

But like anything else people just want to see heads roll and not the underlying issue addressed.
I agree - I think the coach - especially a guy in his 3rd game - stays in his lane saying "I rely on the medical professionals to instruct me on availability". Also on the flip side the moral outrage is up today but last week if McDaniel had ignored the player and the medical staff and not played Tua and they had lost...everyone would be telling him to stay in his lane.

I agree - I think the coach - especially a guy in his 3rd game - stays in his lane saying "I rely on the medical professionals to instruct me on availability". Also on the flip side the moral outrage is up today but last week if McDaniel had ignored the player and the medical staff and not played Tua and they had lost...everyone would be telling him to stay in his lane.
yeah McDaniel really can’t win here. If the medical team tells him that tua is good to go then what is he suppose to do? Maybe the GM could get involved but McDaniel is in game 3 of his head coaching career.

I know fans(mainly Bills fans it seems for whatever reason) want to pile on here, but I took this differently than most did. It was reported Tua also had a neck injury. I think he was trying to clear up the confusion there and stress he did not have a neck injury. I do think McDaniel is in a no win situation. The GM really needs to be the guy answering some of these questions regarding what happened with the doctors.

Last edited:
dude's got an ax to grind. I didn't see anything there to suggest the coach was dismissive of concussions as a serious injury.

dude's got an ax to grind. I didn't see anything there to suggest the coach was dismissive of concussions as a serious injury.
Nowinski can be over the top.

So, I had to look this up. Few things I didn't realize. I had assumed that the unaffiliated neurologic consultant on the sidelines had "veto power" over return to play, but that is apparently not the case.

"the responsibility for the diagnosis of concussion and the decision to return a player to a game remains exclusively within the professional judgment of the Head Team Physician or his/her physician designee responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of concussion."

Also, "gross motor instability" is supposed to be a "no go" symptom for return to play. It seems a bit of a stretch that the team physician was able to definitively rule out a concussion as the cause, but maybe he/she was. When this happened to Mahomes in Jan 21 against the browns, he was removed despite not clearly having a concussion due to this "no go" symptom trigger.

The requirements for documentation here are heavy. This should be a short investigation.

I know fans(mainly Bills fans it seems for whatever reason) want to pile on here, but I took this differently than most did. It was reported Tua also had a neck injury. I think he was trying to clear up the confusion there and stress he did not have a neck injury. I do think McDaniel is in a no win situation. The GM really needs to be the guy answering some of these questions regarding what happened with the doctors.
“Mainly Bills fans”….riiiight.

So, I had to look this up. Few things I didn't realize. I had assumed that the unaffiliated neurologic consultant on the sidelines had "veto power" over return to play, but that is apparently not the case.

"the responsibility for the diagnosis of concussion and the decision to return a player to a game remains exclusively within the professional judgment of the Head Team Physician or his/her physician designee responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of concussion."

Also, "gross motor instability" is supposed to be a "no go" symptom for return to play. It seems a bit of a stretch that the team physician was able to definitively rule out a concussion as the cause, but maybe he/she was. When this happened to Mahomes in Jan 21 against the browns, he was removed despite not clearly having a concussion due to this "no go" symptom trigger.

The requirements for documentation here are heavy. This should be a short investigation.

This opens up an entirely different can of worms. If the team doctor can overrule the independent consultant , what are the team doctors qualifications ? Most of them are orthopedic surgeons. Do they employ a neurologist or neurosurgeon that would be available for each game to make these determinations ? I have a feeling the halftime consultation between the docs went something like this

Last edited:
This opens up an entirely different can of worms. If the team doctor can overrule the independent consultant , what are the team doctors qualifications ? Most of them are orthopedic surgeons. Do they employ a neurologist or neurosurgeon that would be available for each game to make these determinations ?
I'm sure they're all well trained and very aware of concussion related issues. Not only because they're sports medicine physicians and its their job and ethical responsibility, but these players are worth tens of millions of dollars to their employers.

This opens up an entirely different can of worms. If the team doctor can overrule the independent consultant , what are the team doctors qualifications ? Most of them are orthopedic surgeons. Do they employ a neurologist or neurosurgeon that would be available for each game to make these determinations ?
Is that part of CBA? If it is, shame on the union, and not just the suits.
The rule should be, if you leave the field for a head or neck, you are out of the game. Period. Send the union the medical and the union and player decide if the guy can play. The team and the league have no vested interest in player safety. Can't play. You're cut.

I'm sure they're all well trained and very aware of concussion related issues. Not only because they're sports medicine physicians and its their job and ethical responsibility, but these players are worth tens of millions of dollars to their employers.
Some players are. Actually I’d argue that in the NFL, it’s mostly just the QBs, a few receivers, left tackles, and a few defensive guys (elite pass rushers, shut down corners). NFL is primarily made up of players who the teams view as grunt-like replaceable widgets and are disposable

Is that part of CBA? If it is, shame on the union, and not just the suits.
The rule should be, if you leave the field for a head or neck, you are out of the game. Period. Send the union the medical and the union and player decide if the guy can play. The team and the league have no vested interest in player safety. Can't play. You're cut.
Players might not want that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom