2022 NFL Thread | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

2022 NFL Thread

Being discharged and will fly with the team to Miami. Flying hours after a TBI??

Being discharged and will fly with the team to Miami. Flying hours after a TBI??
as long as he doesnt have any visible acute abnormality on his scans, shouldn't be an issue. if he had any type of miniscule bleed they'd have kept him for fear of possible expansion.

Andrew Whitworth comments after the game regarding the Tua injury: (from yahoo news)

“I can literally remember playing the Philadelphia Eagles on a Thursday night football game years ago myself
getting concussed, wobbling around, a referee actually removed me from the game,” Whitworth said. “I go back in the game because you want to play. I was able to get myself through the test, explain that I’m fine, knowing that I had been dinged pretty good. I had a teammate that was like, ‘Man, this guy just is not right and I don’t feel right letting him keep playing.' He actually pulled me out of the game and told the coaches that I need to be removed. And I’m so thankful for that. … This situation just brings back those memories. For us guys that have been on that field, it’s tough, man. We’ve gotta keep these guys uninvolved in it. They shouldn’t feel obligated to do something more than what they need to. It’s just an ugly scene to see.”

A lot of tweets, as always.

Lets see if anything changes or if people care by Monday
McDaniel and the rest of the org are hoping that this weekend’s news cycle will reset peoples’ attention spans

Tua can sue them . He had a head injury and legally could be considered unable to give consent to play.
An (undiagnosed) concussion does not, in and of itself render you legally incompetent. Injuries and brains changes due to concussion tend to be long term.
Much of it depends upon the severity of the injury, obviously. However, from parental experience, even a mild concussion should keep someone out of sports for 2-3 weeks. It should probably be a bit longer for FB.
If Tua had suffered a concussion the previous week, it's likely that he would have exhibited outward signs such as headaches and light sensitivity, in the next few days.
I am curious about the diagnostic protocol used the week before.

McDaniel and the rest of the org are hoping that this weekend’s news cycle will reset peoples’ attention spans
At this point its the NFL hoping that. While McDaniel should have stepped in, if it was a head injury vs the Bills, to not let him back in that game…multiple levels of medical review “occurred” between then and last night.

Sure be mad at the Dolphins but if you’re the coach do you go against the team docs, and independent doc, the NFLPA and NFL’s review?

There’s a missing piece here. I think it’s going to be a top down mess thats discovered if people care to unravel it.

Coaches are paid to manage games and win. Id look at multiple other parts of the org. Medical staff, front and back office shot callers and others will go down before the HC imo.

But like anything else people just want to see heads roll and not the underlying issue addressed.

Pretty sure they were rooting for an Ohtani no hitter more than the biggest Ohtani fan

At this point its the NFL hoping that. While McDaniel should have stepped in, if it was a head injury vs the Bills, to not let him back in that game…multiple levels of medical review “occurred” between then and last night.

Sure be mad at the Dolphins but if you’re the coach do you go against the team docs, and independent doc, the NFLPA and NFL’s review?

There’s a missing piece here. I think it’s going to be a top down mess thats discovered if people care to unravel it.

Coaches are paid to manage games and win. Id look at multiple other parts of the org.
There is also the very real possibility that Tua truly passed the protocol. Which would render the protocol a joke. But at least all parties involved could stand by their technically correct words

Again - people just want to see heads roll and of course the Head Coach is the most recognizable.

Its not the HC who makes decisions whether a player’s medically at risk. Theres levels of organizational infrastructure that is paid to handle that for him.

TBI is a technical term, with specific medical findings. People shouldn't throw around terms as truths without the foundational information. Traumatic Brain Injury | National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
I would tend to trust the diagnosis of the professionals at the UC neurological trauma center.
Again - people just want to see heads roll and of course the Head Coach is the most recognizable.

Its not the HC who makes decisions whether a player’s medically at risk. Theres levels of organizational infrastructure that is paid to handle that for him.
Heads roll ? Lol. Nicely done

There is also the very real possibility that Tua truly passed the protocol. Which would render the protocol a joke. But at least all parties involved could stand by their technically correct words
Which other players have said is a possibility.

The underlying issue is the NFL does justtttt enough to get fans and the NFLPA off their back with this stuff but doesn’t move an inch more to protect players than they have to

Coaches are paid to manage games and win. Id look at multiple other parts of the org. Medical staff, front and back office shot callers and others will go down before the HC imo.

But like anything else people just want to see heads roll and not the underlying issue addressed.
The nfl pa review wasnt even completed yet so not sure how you can lump that in

Which other players have said is a possibility.

The underlying issue is the NFL does justtttt enough to get fans and the NFLPA off their back with this stuff but doesn’t move an inch more to protect players than they have to
I’m a fan of the NFL. I enjoy the hitting and violence up to a point. The guys know what they are signing up for, for the most part. But they lose me when they put players in a position riskier than the player can truly understand. Had Tua not been injured on Sunday and what happened last night, happened anyway ? It would be grotesque and shocking but I would justify it by saying “well, them’s the risk of playing the sport of gladiators”

But I know that’s not how it went down .

This article pretty much nails it.

Here’s the issue, as I explained it both on Football Night in America and throughout the week, on PFT Live and in this outlet. If a player shows “gross motor instability,” he may continue only if the team physician and the Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultant conclude that the instability was not neurologically caused.

I posed to the league — twice — on Sunday a very simple question. How did the team physician and the UNC conclude that the gross motor instability exhibited by Tua was not neurological? Did they take Tua’s word for it that it was a back injury? Did they carefully study the know-it-when-you-see-it video that the wobbling and wooziness was not the result of a head injury? Did they do something else?”

He's talking about his comment ""doesn't have anything more serious than a concussion." That's downgrading the seriousness of a concussion, regardless of whose decision it was. Reading comprehension...

I don't follow the NFL like the NHL, but I assume the list is long for the NFL as well.
But this is a list of 10 NHL players (all-stars or close to it) who had to retire due to concussions--- this doesn't even get to the more average or lower tier players.

Sidney Crosby missed nearly an entire year in his mid 20's after suffering two concussions -- they sat him out an extra 2 or 3 months from when he was "deemed" ready to be careful and it paid off as he has not had major issues since.

View attachment 220575
Scott Stevens was largely responsible for around 2-3 guys making that list so I’m not surprised to see him also on it. Sad (and brutal) irony.

Scott Stevens was largely responsible for around 2-3 guys making that list so I’m not surprised to see him also on it. Sad (and brutal) irony.
When he hit Paul Kariya that one year, I recall Kariya posturing as well. Late dirty hit if you ask me.

I’m a fan of the NFL. I enjoy the hitting and violence up to a point. The guys know what they are signing up for, for the most part. But they lose me when they put players in a position riskier than the player can truly understand. Had Tua not been injured on Sunday and what happened last night, happened anyway ? It would be grotesque and shocking but I would justify it by saying “well, them’s the risk of playing the sport of gladiators”

But I know that’s not how it went down .

At a certain point I think shifting blame to the head coach is too easy and convenient (for the NFL) of a thing to do.

Was his comment shockingly stupid? Oh yeah.

Has this been an issue thats plagued the NFL and NHL well before McDaniel? Yeah

Have the Dolphins had a negligently ran organization before McDaniel? Yeah

I’d rather see the clear underlying issues attacked before the young coach gets offed. We all know even if McDaniel said “sit him” there’s pressure coming from the front office to sustain an undefeated season.

The corruption goes above the HC

He's talking about his comment ""doesn't have anything more serious than a concussion." That's downgrading the seriousness of a concussion, regardless of whose decision it was. Reading comprehension...
I understood what he’s saying and it was a dumb comment by the coach. I just think the real issue’s deeper rooted.

Maybe the team/or independent doctor should have been put up there for the post game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom