2022 NFL Thread | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

2022 NFL Thread

Some players are. Actually I’d argue that in the NFL, it’s mostly just the QBs, a few receivers, left tackles, and a few defensive guys (elite pass rushers, shut down corners). NFL is primarily made up of players who the teams view as grunt-like replaceable widgets and are disposable
Even mid range vets are worth tens of millions these days. Sure, there’s the roster filler for special teams, but I think that’s a little overstated.

Call it a day with destroying your body, and sue that scumbag franchise for all its worth.
Is there any evidence whatsoever that the dolphins did anything wrong? Or that the events of last week had anything to do with Thursday’s outcome, which scary to watch, has so far not been reported to be anything other than a routine concussion?

Is there any evidence whatsoever that the dolphins did anything wrong? Or that the events of last week had anything to do with Thursday’s outcome, which scary to watch, has so far not been reported to be anything other than a routine concussion?
They put him back in the game after he couldn’t even walk after getting his bell rung, and then played him 4 days later?

if you guys want to talk about important high worth players I’d imagine a top 10 pick QB who you gambled the house on during the offseason would fall under that category. Thats why im skeptical of the dolphins knew he had a serious head injury and marched him out there anyways narrative

Didn’t the Chiefs do something similar with Mahomes over the past few seasons? I swear I remember him getting wrecked then going back in afterword.

Didn’t the Chiefs do something similar with Mahomes over the past few seasons? I swear I remember him getting wrecked then going back in afterword.
Mahomes was pulled from a game in similar circumstances, entered the concussion protocol and was ready for the next week. Bills fans were not happy

They put him back in the game after he couldn’t even walk after getting his bell rung, and then played him 4 days later?
I linked the protocol. I also think he shouldn’t have been allowed to return to that game against the billls, but is there anything to suggest they didn’t follow the protocol? Presumably he would have undergone the full testing at half time.

I fully understand the outrage. The idea that Tua would be allowed to play last night is insane. But these are not new developments. The NFL has never cared about player safety. Any moves the league has made have largely been to head off potential litigation.

Hell I remember watching many a game back in the day where players were given smelling salts after they were obviously concussed and then rushed back on to the field. The idea of teams playing a TNF game so quickly after the last game is nuts. Adding a 17th game - really? A lot of guys get hurt on special teams. At least in college they encourage fair catches in the field of play. The NFL also allows guys to wiz by the punt returner within a foot or two just begging for a collision.

I don't blame these guys for getting every nickel they can cuz they're going to pay the price after their careers end if not sooner.

Mahomes was pulled from a game in similar circumstances, entered the concussion protocol and was ready for the next week. Bills fans were not happy
Ahh Divisional playoffs against the Browns.

I fully understand the outrage. The idea that Tua would be allowed to play last night is insane. But these are not new developments. The NFL has never cared about player safety. Any moves the league has made have largely been to head off potential litigation.

Hell I remember watching many a game back in the day where players were given smelling salts after they were obviously concussed and then rushed back on to the field. The idea of teams playing a TNF game so quickly after the last game is nuts. Adding a 17th game - really? A lot of guys get hurt on special teams. At least in college they encourage fair catches in the field of play. The NFL also allows guys to wiz by the punt returner within a foot or two just begging for a collision.

I don't blame these guys for getting every nickel they can cuz they're going to pay the price after their careers end if not sooner.
There was a time where concussions weren’t nearly as well studied as they are now.

You could call it ignorance in 1980. The rules have been changed greatly, they do more to protect player’s heads now. For the Dolphins to do what they seemingly did….I mean, I can’t see a defense of them. We all saw him stumbling around like he’d had 17 beers in the Bills game. There’s no way I’ll believe he should’ve went back in or played 4 days later. I don’t care what tests he supposedly “passed”. I don’t buy it.

There was a time where concussions weren’t nearly as well studied as they are now.

You could call it ignorance in 1980. The rules have been changed greatly, they do more to protect player’s heads now. For the Dolphins to do what they seemingly did….I mean, I can’t see a defense of them. We all saw him stumbling around like he’d had 17 beers in the Bills game. There’s no way I’ll believe he should’ve went back in or played 4 days later. I don’t care what tests he supposedly “passed”. I don’t buy it.
Yeah agree 100% on Miami.

My overall point is that the notion that the NFL doesn't care about player safety is not a new notion. Folks seemed to be taken aback that there's gambling in Casablanca. As many a move that the NFL has made to improve the situation they have then reversed that progress with ideas like TNF and a 17th game.

if you guys want to talk about important high worth players I’d imagine a top 10 pick QB who you gambled the house on during the offseason would fall under that category. Thats why im skeptical of the dolphins knew he had a serious head injury and marched him out there anyways narrative
Huh? Weren’t they trying to move on from him with Brady and Watson this off-season? IIRC, there were also Russell Wilson rumors too.

Yeah agree 100% on Miami.

My overall point is that the notion that the NFL doesn't care about player safety is not a new notion. Folks seemed to be taken aback that there's gambling in Casablanca. As many a move that the NFL has made to improve the situation they have then reversed that progress with ideas like TNF and a 17th game.
They do care about player safety in so far as these two respects

1. The level of disregard for player safety the public will endure before turning off the tv, computer, phone.
2. The relative cost of the players that could be hurt (both monetary and talent wise). This is why so many of the rules were adjusted to protect the QB, for many teams the only non freely replaceable talent on the roster.

Regarding 1, Im guessing it will require multiple player deaths seen on live TV before that ever even begins to manifest.

Regarding 2, I think they do truly care about the QBs for their monetary value and the difficulty in replacing a talented one. But that doesn't mean they won't want to push the envelope if the immediate reward center of theirs is superseding their long term reward center.

Obviously it was stupid to play Tua on Thursday. Did Miami genuinely think Tua was at greater risk due to what happened on Sunday? I don't know. But I do know that even if they did, they probably thought they could get away with it anyway and the odds of a devastating injury were low enough such that the immediate reward of winning the game outweighed the risk of him playing in their eyes. After all, if they could just get him through THIS game, he'd have 10 days to rest up.

I do think this event has a chance to alter that calculus going forward.

That doesn't answer the question. Did any medical people say no? Also, (and I am asking the question, because I don't know) what evidence is there that Sunday had anything to do with Thursday?
It's kind of like the reaction when KD came back to play and blew up his Achilles. The Warriors must have been wrong. They forced KD to play. They withheld medical information. Thankfully KD set that straight. (That said, I think integrity is near the top of the Warriors mission statement and the Dolphins organization would need a dictionary to find the meaning)

They do care about player safety in so far as these two respects

1. The level of disregard for player safety the public will endure before turning off the tv, computer, phone.
2. The relative cost of the players that could be hurt (both monetary and talent wise). This is why so many of the rules were adjusted to protect the QB, for many teams the only non freely replaceable talent on the roster.

Regarding 1, Im guessing it will require multiple player deaths seen on live TV before that ever even begins to manifest.

Regarding 2, I think they do truly care about the QBs for their monetary value and the difficulty in replacing a talented one. But that doesn't mean they won't want to push the envelope if the immediate reward center of theirs is superseding their long term reward center.

Obviously it was stupid to play Tua on Thursday. Did Miami genuinely think Tua was at greater risk due to what happened on Sunday? I don't know. But I do know that even if they did, they probably thought they could get away with it anyway and the odds of a devastating injury were low enough such that the immediate reward of winning the game outweighed the risk of him playing in their eyes. After all, if they could just get him through THIS game, he'd have 10 days to rest up.

I do think this event has a chance to alter that calculus going forward.
I want to add one thing; the players. They want to play. They understand the risk, but generally feel they are personal immune to them. They are adults who say do this, do that, let's play. Mark Schlerith(sp) had something like 26 surgeries so he could play. They are kind of like sled dogs. Screw the risks, this is what I do, this is who I am, and my money window is short.

Huh? Weren’t they trying to move on from him with Brady and Watson this off-season? IIRC, there were also Russell Wilson rumors too.
Then they got rid of Flores, strengthened the line and picked up multiple skills position players. They doubled down.

That doesn't answer the question. Did any medical people say no? Also, (and I am asking the question, because I don't know) what evidence is there that Sunday had anything to do with Thursday?
It's kind of like the reaction when KD came back to play and blew up his Achilles. The Warriors must have been wrong. They forced KD to play. They withheld medical information. Thankfully KD set that straight. (That said, I think integrity is near the top of the Warriors mission statement and the Dolphins organization would need a dictionary to find the meaning)
KD’s brain was working fine when he made that decision.

Expecting a guy with an obvious head injury to make a logical decision is nuts, and goes against everything we know about head injuries.

If some want to take their word for it that it was a back injury against the Bills despite what you saw with your own eyes, fine. We live in a world where facts and telling the truth literally don’t matter anymore and people will blatantly tell obvious lies and create their own alternate reality based on those lies. So why should the Dolphins be any different?

KD’s brain was working fine when he made that decision.

Expecting a guy with an obvious head injury to make a logical decision is nuts, and goes against everything we know about head injuries.

If some want to take their word for it that it was a back injury against the Bills despite what you saw with your own eyes, fine. We live in a world where facts and telling the truth literally don’t matter anymore and people will blatantly tell obvious lies and create their own alternate reality based on those lies. So why should the Dolphins be any different?
My point is there were fingers pointed at the Warriors. Also, there is NO PROOF, other than from tv consumers/doctors, that Tua had ANY brain injury from Sunday. None. Not all hits to the head result in concussions.
The son of our best couple friends had a head-to-head collision playing soccer. The other kid had a massive concussion. Our friends son did not, despite the fact that he fractured his sinus cavity and literally had his face peeled off and a titanium plate put over the hole in his skull. Even the doctor found it amazing he didn't hav a concussion, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom