2022 PLL Season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PLL Season

3 Picks stand out for being really out there - let's go to Vegas and roll the dice:

1) Bonnies' Dobson taken at #12?! Ahead of McElroy and Kirst - and Adler, Schupler, Spence undrafted. McElroy the 3rd goalie taken. Has anyone else ever been drafted from the MAAC? Dobson's stats were great but he didn't face any of the pressure and the top shooters in D1. BIG roll of the dice.

2) And how about Max Wayne of Christopher Newport at #21?? Really? Commentators made some comment about the Atlas coach knowing Wayne's coach etc. I liked Mitch Wykoff last year who made the transition to D1 for Cuse but I don't think anyone was drafting him.

3) Finally, Jon Robbins of Bellarmine. He was named first team for SoCon - OK.

They've played against weak competition relative to other draft choices. Am I missing something? The PLL coaches only get a small number of draft choices and you would think they would be looking for proven talent at the highest level. Greater minds than mine...

If I didn't know better, it almost looks like equity, diversity and inclusion are part of the draft.

Great news for Kennedy and Curry. Happy for them. Man oh man will they be missed.

3 Picks stand out for being really out there - let's go to Vegas and roll the dice:

1) Bonnies' Dobson taken at #12?! Ahead of McElroy and Kirst - and Adler, Schupler, Spence undrafted. McElroy the 3rd goalie taken. Has anyone else ever been drafted from the MAAC? Dobson's stats were great but he didn't face any of the pressure and the top shooters in D1. BIG roll of the dice.

2) And how about Max Wayne of Christopher Newport at #21?? Really? Commentators made some comment about the Atlas coach knowing Wayne's coach etc. I liked Mitch Wykoff last year who made the transition to D1 for Cuse but I don't think anyone was drafting him.

They've played against weak competition relative to other draft choices. Am I missing something? The PLL coaches only get a small number of draft choices and you would think they would be looking for proven talent at the highest level. Greater minds than mine...

If I didn't know better, it almost looks like equity, diversity and inclusion are part of the draft.

Unfortunately professional lacrosse is not nearly at the level of other professional sports where players are drafted simply on value and fit. Lots of things go into a lacrosse draft pick. In the MLL, the first question a lot of coaches would ask was "can you commit to playing in our city?" Players have full time jobs outside of lacrosse.

The PLL has simplified things a bit, by being a traveling road show, but that still doesn't mean guys want to commit to moving around the country all summer. I'm sure a lot picks were based on the fact that guys could commit to playing this summer and making it a priorty. There were a lot of really good players that I'm really surprised were not picked this draft. Here is a sampling, most if not all are "house hold names" I would say. -

Gibson Smith - D, Georgetown
Jakob Phaup - FO, Syracuse
Mike Adler - G, Duke
Sean Lully - A, Duke
Joe Roberston - A, Duke
Antony DeMaio - M, Maryland
Bobby Abshire - A, Army
Marcus Hudgins - D, Army
Mac O'Rourke - A, Bryant
Brendan Krebs - G, Manhatten

The below players are Ivy players who I think still have eligibility but were listed as "snubs" by lax jouros
John Piateli - A, Cornell
George Baughan - D, Princeton
Chris Brown - A, Princeton

Unfortunately professional lacrosse is not nearly at the level of other professional sports where players are drafted simply on value and fit. Lots of things go into a lacrosse draft pick. In the MLL, the first question a lot of coaches would ask was "can you commit to playing in our city?" Players have full time jobs outside of lacrosse.

The PLL has simplified things a bit, by being a traveling road show, but that still doesn't mean guys want to commit to moving around the country all summer. I'm sure a lot picks were based on the fact that guys could commit to playing this summer and making it a priorty. There were a lot of really good players that I'm really surprised were not picked this draft. Here is a sampling, most if not all are "house hold names" I would say. -

Gibson Smith - D, Georgetown
Jakob Phaup - FO, Syracuse
Mike Adler - G, Duke
Sean Lully - A, Duke
Joe Roberston - A, Duke
Antony DeMaio - M, Maryland
Bobby Abshire - A, Army
Marcus Hudgins - D, Army
Mac O'Rourke - A, Bryant
Brendan Krebs - G, Manhatten

The below players are Ivy players who I think still have eligibility but were listed as "snubs" by lax jouros
John Piateli - A, Cornell
George Baughan - D, Princeton
Chris Brown - A, Princeton
Excellent points. And a stellar list of players not picked. I'm sure there are some who will be starting "real jobs" and can't take long weekends off all summer :cool:

It was notable that the Chrome coach said on the broadcast that he knew Nichtern might have only 1 year but took him anyway.

They also said last night that Maryland now has the most drafted players over Cuse.. I for one think it’s a bogus number( and one of the announcers said it as well).. how do they get credit for a player when that player transfered in for one year and we’re at another school for 4 years?

Ah yes a sixes tournament right in the middle of the NLL season. A bad idea for a variety of reasons. Main one being that it is freaking sixes.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea.. gets the guys that are not in the NLL a little tune up before the season starts( I know .. this may not be a popular answer)

I don’t think it’s a bad idea.. gets the guys that are not in the NLL a little tune up before the season starts( I know .. this may not be a popular answer)
For me it feels like they are caving to the Olympic rules rather than putting the most enjoyable product out there. Would prefer they just played a few full games. Sixes is not the worst thing ever, but when compared to a full game it feels like a practice drill IMO.

For me it feels like they are caving to the Olympic rules rather than putting the most enjoyable product out there. Would prefer they just played a few full games. Sixes is not the worst thing ever, but when compared to a full game it feels like a practice drill IMO.
Agree ..love the full field

i know wayne a little. one thing he has that isn't universal but is common in the pros is size. and he's a bit nasty. and at his size, he can move real well. he also has over 170 ctos for his career. as an example, pre-cuse wykoff had 57. he'll be 1st team and maybe doy. 49 ctos this year and just 3! turnovers himself.

graeme hossack from lindenwood was pll doy last year. they're looking for big, tough athletes at d. gibson smith on a post above was the only available d man mentioned not drafted.

the other 2 guys i don't get, but know very little about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom