2022 Preseason Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Preseason Thread

This source is closer to the program than me (I barely register haha). He also said it looks like Thompson so far looks like the starter in cage and that the navy transfer Cordes will run with the 2nd mids. Lastly, the rookie transfer from Yale, Caccamo or however you spell it will likely start at close.

Nothing 100 percent confirmed, but the person providing the info is solid.
Interesting comment about Thompson looking like the starter at this point. If so, I would expect Gavin to be the backup. Maryland will be a stern test for whoever is the starter.

This source is closer to the program than me (I barely register haha). He also said it looks like Thompson so far looks like the starter in cage and that the navy transfer Cordes will run with the 2nd mids. Lastly, the rookie transfer from Yale, Caccamo or however you spell it will likely start at close.

Nothing 100 percent confirmed, but the person providing the info is solid.

Can confirm that Caccamo has impressed, he will definitely be seeing a lot of time. Cordes has also looked good, 2nd line would make sense.

This is great, thank you both for this insight. This is kind of stuff I am looking to read in the leadup to the season. Most years you look for publications do this sort of "reporting", but in the lacrosse world it falls to message board posters.

I liked what I saw from Cordes in his highlight tape, he is undersized, but the guy never stops moving. An energizer bunny. Hopefully that sort of hustle rubs off on other players on the team. I am intrigued by both Corsi and Borges - they both come from high profile high schools but neither really got a lot of headlines their senior years. But both have good size and are athletic. Like IT pointed out, it seems a bit risky to have potentially three first years on the second line, so I wouldn't be surprised if an older player takes one of the spots. I'm a bit surprised we don't hear more about Tenaglia, he put up good numbers at Furman and he did it against good teams. Maybe they don't like him at midfield?

When Caccamo announced his transfer you got the sense that he wasn't coming here to sit on the bench. Murphy and DiPietro both return, and my understanding was that Kennedy would most likely move down to close to take over for Wykoff. Does Caccomo's emergence mean Kennedy will stay at LSM, or does he take over for one of the fifth year seniors? I thought DiPietro performed better than Murphy last year. Personally I hope Kennedy can stay at LSM, but that depends on how ready Caccomo is, I don't see DiPeitro or Murphy being able to cover Grey, Kavanaugh, Nichtern, etc.

News about goalie is a bit surprising, have to imagine it's still early in the competition though. I wonder if they will split duties to start the year? If Thompson does win the job, that's a good sign that he was able to beat someone out like Gavin. Petro did not have good goalie play in his last years at Hopkins, I wonder how often they will switch back and forth? I think Petro had a volunteer goalie coach at Hopkins (Larry Quinn), he won't have that at Syracuse unless TD is a secret goalie savant we don't know about.

This is great, thank you both for this insight. This is kind of stuff I am looking to read in the leadup to the season. Most years you look for publications do this sort of "reporting", but in the lacrosse world it falls to message board posters.

I liked what I saw from Cordes in his highlight tape, he is undersized, but the guy never stops moving. An energizer bunny. Hopefully that sort of hustle rubs off on other players on the team. I am intrigued by both Corsi and Borges - they both come from high profile high schools but neither really got a lot of headlines their senior years. But both have good size and are athletic. Like IT pointed out, it seems a bit risky to have potentially three first years on the second line, so I wouldn't be surprised if an older player takes one of the spots. I'm a bit surprised we don't hear more about Tenaglia, he put up good numbers at Furman and he did it against good teams. Maybe they don't like him at midfield?

When Caccamo announced his transfer you got the sense that he wasn't coming here to sit on the bench. Murphy and DiPietro both return, and my understanding was that Kennedy would most likely move down to close to take over for Wykoff. Does Caccomo's emergence mean Kennedy will stay at LSM, or does he take over for one of the fifth year seniors? I thought DiPietro performed better than Murphy last year. Personally I hope Kennedy can stay at LSM, but that depends on how ready Caccomo is, I don't see DiPeitro or Murphy being able to cover Grey, Kavanaugh, Nichtern, etc.

News about goalie is a bit surprising, have to imagine it's still early in the competition though. I wonder if they will split duties to start the year? If Thompson does win the job, that's a good sign that he was able to beat someone out like Gavin. Petro did not have good goalie play in his last years at Hopkins, I wonder how often they will switch back and forth? I think Petro had a volunteer goalie coach at Hopkins (Larry Quinn), he won't have that at Syracuse unless TD is a secret goalie savant we don't know about.
Why Cuse doesn't have a volunteer or paid goalie coach is a mystery. At one point, I think Donahue was supposed to work with the goalies. I'm sure guys like Molloy, Madonna and Porter wondered how such a storied program didn't have it while the goalie position became more specialized and the competition had them.

The only good thing for Cuse in playing Maryland early is Maryland will have to take a few games to find their new offensive entity. So that "could" be a good thing.

OR, because Maryland doesn't know who their pimp ball carrier is yet, and they run a lot of motion and play off of Wisnauskas' strength which is feeding and spot shooting when given opportunities, we could get torched.

Our defense has been especially bad OFF BALL in the last few years, but I think that's mostly because our SSDM's not wearing #9 have STUNK. They get beat all over the field, forcing full on slides, and that has hurt us the last two years even with #9 running around playing well. He couldn't guard everyone sadly.

If there is anyone on the planet who knows how to find the holes in a Petro defense, it's Bobby Benson.

I would set expectations LOW for the game vs. Maryland

Why Cuse doesn't have a volunteer or paid goalie coach is a mystery. At one point, I think Donahue was supposed to work with the goalies. I'm sure guys like Molloy, Madonna and Porter wondered how such a storied program didn't have it while the goalie position became more specialized and the competition had them.

You only get two full time assistants, an Offensive and Defense Coordinator and one volunteer coach. I think typically the volunteer coach focuses on things like goalie and face-off, but I am sure it is different for all teams. I am not sure I could tell you the name of a volunteer assistant coach on another team to be honest. For many years a recent grad of SU would be the Volunteer Assistant. That changed when they brought it Steve Scarramazito for a number of years.

Clearly SU decided to focus on Faceoff by bringing in Ierlan which, given their struggles in that department wasn't a bad idea. We will see what kind of impact he has. SU was lucky to have someone like Donahue who could cover a lot of different areas of the team, I think he worked with the goalies and FOGOs as well as being the offensive coordinator. I think its pretty rare for a team to have a coach who only focuses on goalies.

Do find it strange that goalies dont have a defined coach. Assume someone goes over opponent shooting tendencies and discusses in game adjustments . local hs has someone working with goalie. Haven't notice anyone warming up our goalies like Gtown does but may be wrong on that.

If there is anyone on the planet who knows how to find the holes in a Petro defense, it's Bobby Benson.

I would set expectations LOW for the game vs. Maryland
But if there is anyone who would know how to defend against Bensons offensive sets it’s Petro right? Goes both ways

Gavin listed as a player primed for a big season.

Last edited:
On Fanlax:
C369074D-0EC6-4907-B160-291FF5A690DF.jpeg

Our defense has been especially bad OFF BALL in the last few years, but I think that's mostly because our SSDM's not wearing #9 have STUNK. They get beat all over the field, forcing full on slides, and that has hurt us the last two years even with #9 running around playing well. He couldn't guard everyone sadly.
Improving our defensive scheme and/or communication is what I'm hoping Petro can do immediately.

I will be thrilled to see a more disciplined defense not slide early and create shots for the opposing team. Too many times in the last 5 years have I seen a defender inexplicably double or slide to the ball carrier only to create an unsettled opportunity that gave the opponent a clear shooting lane or doorstep finish.

I'll trade having somewhat less skilled defenders for a more disciplined unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom