2022 Preseason Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Preseason Thread

Improving our defensive scheme and/or communication is what I'm hoping Petro can do immediately.

I will be thrilled to see a more disciplined defense not slide early and create shots for the opposing team. Too many times in the last 5 years have I seen a defender inexplicably double or slide to the ball carrier only to create an unsettled opportunity that gave the opponent a clear shooting lane or doorstep finish.

I'll trade having somewhat less skilled defenders for a more disciplined unit.

The hallmark of Petro's defenses at Hopkins from 2016-2020 were poorly timed slides. Of course that tends to happen when your defenders are trying to compensate for shorties who are either too small or too slow and can't hang with most midfielders. Creates sliding chaos when you don't trust your D-mids to stay with their man. Syracuse won't have that issue to that degree because their SSDM personnel is better but "disciplined" is certainly not a word many people have used to describe Petro's defenses as of late. Pre-2016, definitely. That's the magic he's got to conjure again.

Not hearing good things about todays scrimmage against Michigan. Anyone hear different?

Not hearing good things about todays scrimmage against Michigan. Anyone hear different?

Haven't heard anything yet but a struggle wouldn't surprise me. Michigan is further ahead practice wise and had a scrimmage last week. I also believe SU was down a few guys with minor injuries. Still if it was a total disaster then we have a problem for sure

I heard the game was a total disaster and Hiltz may have broken his shoulder. From what I understand Michigan came in fresh and ready to go while Syracuse players were fatigued and banged up from the start.

I heard the game was a total disaster and Hiltz may have broken his shoulder. From what I understand Michigan came in fresh and ready to go while Syracuse players were fatigued and banged up from the start.
From practice?

An injury to Hiltz would be a disaster of epic proportions to this team

As long as nobody was hurt it’s no huge deal. Just please let that Hiltz thing not be true.

Sounds like the team needs a serious change in culture if they were partying before their first scrimmage.

What is your source ?

Well that would certainly count as a disaster. Syracuse isn’t talented enough to slog through scrimmages like this. Hopefully it serves as a wake up call.

If Hiltz really is injured that would obviously be devastating. Not sure what the right response would be. You could swap lefty for lefty and move Ferris or Tenaglia to his spot but I’m not sure how healthy they are. You could move Cook or Birtwistle but that would give you three righties which would be awkward. Ugh. Hope this is just a rumor that got lost in a game of telephone.

The hallmark of Petro's defenses at Hopkins from 2016-2020 were poorly timed slides. Of course that tends to happen when your defenders are trying to compensate for shorties who are either too small or too slow and can't hang with most midfielders. Creates sliding chaos when you don't trust your D-mids to stay with their man. Syracuse won't have that issue to that degree because their SSDM personnel is better but "disciplined" is certainly not a word many people have used to describe Petro's defenses as of late. Pre-2016, definitely. That's the magic he's got to conjure again.
Petro’s defense are way to complex to make an immediate impact he will have to recruit his style of player in order for it to work but I don’t see him staying long enough for this to happen. I think Gait is definitely the right man to run this team now that Desko has retired but I have way more faith Roger’s defense system working at Syracuse then Petro’s hope I’m wrong because the toothpaste is out of the tube

From an inside source, apparently all the rumors are true including Michigan running away with the scrimmage by a huge margin ..15 goals or more ..a lot of players are hurt and the team is not “game ready “. Should be interesting..who is going to step in and step up ?

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

From an inside source, apparently all the rumors are true including Michigan running away with the scrimmage by a huge margin ..15 goals or more ..a lot of players are hurt and the team is not “game ready “. Should be interesting..who is going to step in and step up ?
A fantastic first impression for the new coaching staff.

I wonder who was in goal , thinking Thompson got the start(I have no idea just a guess)..and how much playing time did Gavin get?

From an inside source, apparently all the rumors are true including Michigan running away with the scrimmage by a huge margin ..15 goals or more ..a lot of players are hurt and the team is not “game ready “. Should be int
I wonder who was in goal , thinking Thompson got the start(I have no idea just a guess)..and how much playing time did Gavin get?

Not sure ..report was from a player and I left it alone . Sounded very ugly

michigan won 17-3. unofficially

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom