2022 Schedule Guesses | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Schedule Guesses

has anyone got an inside source that says 2022 ACC schedule will be similar to 2021? yay? nay?

A lot of hand wringing on here no matter how hard or easy the schedule is. So, what would everyone’s ideal schedule be? Not necessarily the order, but the teams.

I would start by advocating for a 15 game schedule. You are allowed 17 "competition dates" I beleive. I would play two scrimmages, one in the fall and one in the spring. I see no need for two in the spring, but it sounds like they are scrimmaging Yale and Loyola this year. The regular season would look like the following.

ACC Games (4)
Duke
Notre Dame
UNC
UVA

New York Based Rivalries (4)
Army
Albany
Cornell
Hobart

Out of State Rivalry (1)
Johns Hopkins

That leaves 6 other games to scheduled. I agree with IT that while I wouldn't add teams like Maryland necessarily to this schedule (that is more or less nine very tough games), but wouldn't want teams like Siena either. With 15 games however I think they would need to schedule some mid-week games, which might necessitate a Binghamton. I would add the following teams -

Hofstra - Give the Long Island players a chance to play in front of their friends and families. Duke plays a neutral site game almost every year on Long Island, they attract a lot of players from that area. I think this is connected. You could also add Stony Brook, I am sure that would make the Spallina family happy.

Princeton or another Ivy League team - It doesn't seem right that Cornell is the only Ivy League team the Orange play. They have tremendous history with the Tigers, and we'd get to see highlights of Mike Powell and Damien Davis.

Harvard - Maybe too many Ivy League teams, but Syracuse seems to be getting a lot of kids from the New England area, and in similar thinking to Hofstra, it would be good to exposure in that neck of the woods. Selfishly I am New England based and it would be great to see them in person closer to home. Could also swap them out for Boston U or UMass.

Denver - Probably no different than scheduling Maryland but this gives the schedule some geographic diversity. I know the landscape of college lacrosse doesn't allow for much different, but it seems like the SU schedule the last few years has been very east coast dominant. Would be nice for the team to see other parts of the country, and have other parts of the country see them in person.

Michigan - Like the Princeton reasoning it seems strange that SU doesn't play another Big 10 team besides Hopkins. I know this changes with Maryland, but, let's take it down a little bit. Penn State or Ohio State would also be fun.

Siena - for midweek scheduling purposes I would keep a team like Siena or Binghamton on the schedule.

Anyways, I know it's hard to come up with a schedule that makes everyone happy, but I tried to balance things out. I'd be surprised if they ever went to a 15 game schedule, but Duke plays a ton of games and it works out for them. It would also be nice to see SU play in different parts of the country - neutral site games would also fix this. How about a game in Toronto? Its great they get to play so many games in the Dome, and with the early start to the season a lot teams like playing in the climate control, but things need to get shaken up sometimes.

I would start by advocating for a 15 game schedule. You are allowed 17 "competition dates" I beleive. I would play two scrimmages, one in the fall and one in the spring. I see no need for two in the spring, but it sounds like they are scrimmaging Yale and Loyola this year. The regular season would look like the following.

ACC Games (4)
Duke
Notre Dame
UNC
UVA

New York Based Rivalries (4)
Army
Albany
Cornell
Hobart

Out of State Rivalry (1)
Johns Hopkins

That leaves 6 other games to scheduled. I agree with IT that while I wouldn't add teams like Maryland necessarily to this schedule (that is more or less nine very tough games), but wouldn't want teams like Siena either. With 15 games however I think they would need to schedule some mid-week games, which might necessitate a Binghamton. I would add the following teams -

Hofstra - Give the Long Island players a chance to play in front of their friends and families. Duke plays a neutral site game almost every year on Long Island, they attract a lot of players from that area. I think this is connected. You could also add Stony Brook, I am sure that would make the Spallina family happy.

Princeton or another Ivy League team - It doesn't seem right that Cornell is the only Ivy League team the Orange play. They have tremendous history with the Tigers, and we'd get to see highlights of Mike Powell and Damien Davis.

Harvard - Maybe too many Ivy League teams, but Syracuse seems to be getting a lot of kids from the New England area, and in similar thinking to Hofstra, it would be good to exposure in that neck of the woods. Selfishly I am New England based and it would be great to see them in person closer to home. Could also swap them out for Boston U or UMass.

Denver - Probably no different than scheduling Maryland but this gives the schedule some geographic diversity. I know the landscape of college lacrosse doesn't allow for much different, but it seems like the SU schedule the last few years has been very east coast dominant. Would be nice for the team to see other parts of the country, and have other parts of the country see them in person.

Michigan - Like the Princeton reasoning it seems strange that SU doesn't play another Big 10 team besides Hopkins. I know this changes with Maryland, but, let's take it down a little bit. Penn State or Ohio State would also be fun.

Siena - for midweek scheduling purposes I would keep a team like Siena or Binghamton on the schedule.

Anyways, I know it's hard to come up with a schedule that makes everyone happy, but I tried to balance things out. I'd be surprised if they ever went to a 15 game schedule, but Duke plays a ton of games and it works out for them. It would also be nice to see SU play in different parts of the country - neutral site games would also fix this. How about a game in Toronto? Its great they get to play so many games in the Dome, and with the early start to the season a lot teams like playing in the climate control, but things need to get shaken up sometimes.

Would love to see them get Princeton back on the schedule. Also agree with playing on long island every year, couldn't hurt with recruiting right? I made a point in another thread about if they could set something up with Jacksonville with the JG connection and even agree to play them down there. Florida in March would be nice for the players and again couldn't hurt recruiting. Setting up a game with OSU one year and then MIchigan the next seems to make sense based on travel. Anyways it will be interesting to see how things change, if any with Gait now in charge.

According to fanlax (and a very official looking document), Syracuse is hosting Loyola in a regular season game, not a scrimmage, on Saturday February 5th at noon. Earliest start to the season I can remember, and a very tough opponent to start the season with. Should be a great game.

Believe that to be wrong info

Unless they move the basketball game to 7… would be a great double header.. lol
yep, Hoops playing Louisville 2/5 at 2 at Dome. Guess anything is possible . Believe there is a combined limit of 16 games (scrimmages and regular season games ) Anyhow, Cuse schedule would be a bit sadmaschoist if that was somehow arranged.

Loyola is a team that usually announces season schedule in early December so not going to get anything official from them anytime soon.

yep, Hoops playing Louisville 2/5 at 2 at Dome. Guess anything is possible . Believe there is a combined limit of 16 games (scrimmages and regular season games ) Anyhow, Cuse schedule would be a bit sadmaschoist if that was somehow arranged.

Loyola is a team that usually announces season schedule in early December so not going to get anything official from them anytime soon.

Might have been a typo and they meant to say scrimmage. For the Richmond game it says “scrimmage” under the home/away column but it is in bold like the other home games. I think they just messed up and said “away” for the Syracuse game when it should say scrimmage (unbolded to signify away game). Either way good test for the Orange.

not looking it up, but i believe the limit is 18 dates pre-conference tourney.

Good for them/Virginia to get that game going again, thought it was weird they ended it a couple years ago. Other than that it looks a lot like their typical OOC schedule but adding G-town and Jacksonville. I wonder if Syracuse is going to get Jacksonville on the schedule with the Galloway connection?
Per Lars Tiffany, he asked Petro when he wanted to schedule the game. It was supposed to be in C'ville. Petro said he didn't have a weekend open. Lars told him playing the game was important enough he would put the UVa team on a bus to B'more to play the game midweek. Petro still said no and so we didn't play in 2019.

High Point releases their schedule for 2022 -

Good on High Point for playing as many top teams as they can in order to offset the enormous drag on their RPI they get from having to play the rest of the SoCon (minus Richmond). It's not easy putting an at-large resume together when you're forced to play Hampton and VMI.

Princeton plays at UMd on Feb 26, so that would eliminate that weekend for a UMd-Syracuse game. The last weekend of March will probably be a Big Ten opponent for Maryland.

I don't think it would be that surprising to see UMd schedule 3 ACC teams given that none of the other Big Ten teams look like a top ten team for sure.

Old friend Chris Jastrzembski looks to have started a new website dedicated to college lacrosse. The name is similar to his old stomping grounds, CollegeLacrosse. Anyways, he has been breaking down the schedules that have thus far been announced, for anyone who is interested.

What is the turnaround time in the Carrier Dome from Basketball to Lacrosse, or vice versa?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom