2022 Top 10 Preview | Syracusefan.com

2022 Top 10 Preview

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
I started this post before the Petro news broke, and was almost finished, so I understand people are still processing that news. But I wanted to try and look ahead to 2022. Obviously a lot will change this offseason with transfers in and out, and it's not totally clear which seniors will use their extra year of eligibility, so this list will probably change quite a bit before next spring. Also complicating matters is one of the top conferences in lacrosse did not play last year, so it is hard to predict how good they will be next year. I am probably wrong about some of the players below either returning or not, so please correct me. Anyways, please post your own top 10 and feel free to disagree with mine! I've already changed my mind about a number of teams in the process of putting this together, and I'm sure I am missing someone obvious!

1. Virginia - A pretty clear cut number one team and one that returns a boatload of talent. Shellenberger might be the Tewaarton favorite and he'll have competition from two of his teammates in Cormier and Moore. That trio is probably the best in lacrosse right now. They lose some scoring in Aitkin, Bertrand and Laviano, but I think they can be replaced by players like Garno, Connor and Dixon. The biggest loss is on the defensive end in Connors but UVA had a deep stable of defenders last year and probably get their goalie Rode back. LaSalla was very good at the face-off X. Frankly its hard to find many issues with this team.
2. Duke - People might disagree with putting the Devils up this high given the way the lost in the Final Four, but they still return a ton of talent even though they lose Sowers, JT Giles Harris and Adler. Robertson, Montgomery, O'Neil, Caputo, Williams, Nasso at the X, Stephenson and Brower on defense. Plus they add the top two recruits in the nation in McAdory and Boyer. Things did not look right for Duke last year, they almost had too much to work with. Will (a little) less be more in 2022?
3. Maryland - The Terps lose the best player in the country last year in Bernhardt, there's no denying that. They also return a lot, and more than anything it always seems like the Terps are in the Final Four at the end of the season. A lot rides on their fifth years coming back but if Wisnauskus and Fairman come back thats a pretty good twosome and they have good young talent with Long, Maltz and Malever, not to mention a bunch of UA AAs just sitting on the bench. Also they have perhaps the best defenseman in the country in Makar. The Terps always seem to be in the middle of transfer season so they could jump up in this list if they land a Khan or Lulley. I've seen rumors that Donville from Cornell is transferring in, but also that Anthony DeMaio is not coming back so that kind of balances things I think. I also don't think the Big 10 will be very good next year, OSU and PSU didn't play well last year and lose a ton - Michigan and Hopkins might be the teams right behind the Terps.
4. Georgetown - Maybe a bit surprising but the Hoyas return everyone outside of their leading scorer in Carraway and a second line middie in Petkivich. Carraway is a huge loss as he scored 14 more points than the second leading scorer on the team, but I'm thinking that since Haley and Hess were just freshmen last year, they might play even better as sophomores. Despite getting blown out by UVA in the second round of the tourney, this was a very solid team at every position last year. They do need to work on getting more scoring depth. Also the Big East will be way down with Denver losing a ton of impact players.
5. Notre Dame - The Irish lose a ton, all over the field - a starting attackman, their top two very good FOGOs and their top two defensemen. That is a lot. But Corrigan has already been hitting the transfer portal, and they return one of the best attackmen in the country in Pat Kavanaugh. He's joined by his brother Chris Kavanaugh, a top five recruit. They also return Eric Dobson who is gigantic and showed a ton of promise as a freshman. They have a bunch of very solid midfielders. The big question is face-offs, outside of last year they do not have a good track record at the dot, and if the defense is down, they could stumble down the rankings.
6. Loyola - The least flashy team I can think of, but they get back a ton of talent in '21 with Olmstead and Lindly once again leading the offense. James emerged as a solid third option on attack. They have a very solid defense and a methodical offense and are just very solid in all aspects of the game. Midfield was a bit underwhelming last year and FOGO Savio was just a little above 50% last year.
7. UNC - This might seem low for the Tar Heels but I have a hard time seeing them back in the Final Four after losing their entire first midfield and their best defender. They have a very good goalie Krieg and one of the best players in the country in Chris Gray, but midfield is such an important position. They also seem to be losing some players to the transfer portal with Trippi, Cameron and Alexander all entering. They have what looks to be the number one recruiting class coming in, but frankly it seems like they do every year. Overall it just feels like 2021 was the year for the Tar Heels.
8. Yale - It was hard to chose between the Bulldogs and the Big Red, but I think Yale has fewer questions and Shay puts them over the edge. Obviously they lost a lot in 2020 (Morrill, Gaudet, Cotler, Irelan) but they get back Brandau and Bragg for the offense, and Fake and Starr for the defense and Neumann was the number one FOGO recruit before Irelan transferred in. This positioning has more to do with Yale always being in contention more than what they have returning. Will be fascinating to watch these Ivy League teams get up to speed. They lose a lot, but also will be integrating two freshmen classes that haven't played college lacrosse before.
9. Cornell - The Big Red lose the PLL number one pick in Jeff Teat and have a years long layoff, but this offense was electric two years ago. They also return a very good goalie in Irelan and a good FOGO in Petrakis. Long and Piatelli should lead this group. But there are a lot of questions, the layoff, plus the fact they are breaking in a new head coach in Buczek. Also sounds like Donville is transferring to Maryland and I am unsure about the status of other contributors like Fletcher, Telesco and Salvatore.
10. Syracuse - I've written a lot about this team already, so I'll try and keep it short. The Orange did not have the season they wanted to last year, and they lose a lot, from all over the field - starting goalie, best SSDM, starting middie and best attackman. That said I think they have a ton of talent coming back and may be getting overlooked by some for how last year went - Hiltz, Dordevic and Curry are a very good trio most teams would love to build around. I'm also high on Seebold and Quinn. Defense obviously has questions. Also they will be a fascinating team to watch with a new coach in Gary Gait - what will his impact be? This team will have a lot of attention on them. Side note: Syracuse could have a much better season than most think - there is a lot of questions surrounding some of the teams ahead of them.

Other teams receiving "votes" (in alphabetical order)
Army - not counting them out as long as they have Nichtern and Schlupper.
Johns Hopkins - pains me to say but the Blue Jays look pretty good going into next year, went toe to toe with Maryland twice last year and really only lose Williams.
Lehigh - Returns almost everyone I beleive including the best FOGO in the country, played a soft schedule last year and seems they were exposed by Rutgers in the tournament.
Penn - Losses Lulley to the portal and I am unsure who else they bring back, but they have Handley who might be one of the most physically dominant players in the country. Plays fast and uptempo, a team to watch for sure.

The big question mark for the Terps at the moment is apparently at FOs. Shockey apparently is not returning and Calderone is on the transfer portal. So it is Wiernan and the incoming freshman Keethler at this time.

Another player to consider on the offense is Jack Brennan, who was an injury red-shirt this spring but started as a freshman on the midfield. Brennan wasn't a huge scorer as a freshman but played with a lot of poise.
Another question mark for the Terps is at ssdm. Josh Coffman returns as a senior, but the other 3 players were seniors : Puglise, A.Smith, and Higgins. How many of them return?

Hopkins did finish the year off strong, beating Rutgers and playing the Terps close 2 times. They do lose Cole Williams. Whether some of their other seniors like DeSimone and Reinson stay could be key. The freshmen Peshko was playing well at the end of the season, as was Epstein. Their other 2 highly touted freshmen: Grimes and McDermott could take a step forward as sophs. With Hopkins losing a number players from their incoming recruiting class due to the coaching change, it wouldn't be surprising to see them make a big pickup from the transfer portal.

Th Xanders reports that DeSimone will return for his 5th year at Hopkins. With Epstein, this gives Hopkins a nice pair at attack, although they need to find a replacement for lefty Cole Williams, who finished up his 5th year this past spring.

This past season Hopkins started the season with Brendan Grimes at the lefty attack spot and Williams at midfield, but Grimes didn't score much and Williams moved back to attack and Grimes moved to the 2nd midfield.

Last edited:
I guess the Terps get to move upwards with their big list of transfers: Khan, Donville, Prybylski, and Murphy.
Duke added Lully.

I guess the Terps get to move upwards with their big list of transfers: Khan, Donville, Prybylski, and Murphy.
Duke added Lully.
Is it possible some currently on the MD roster enter the portal? Several guys just got recruited over.

Is it possible some currently on the MD roster enter the portal? Several guys just got recruited over.
I guess we'll see.
It will be interesting to see whether Khan can beat out Malever.

Duke added Lully.

I agree with you, but I’m still confused on your stance regarding the recent transfers. If you think there’s a chance they won’t start, why would they help Maryland rise in the rankings?

I am curious what the new coaching hires’ impact will be on the expectations for Syracuse this season. Are they higher, lower, the same? We talk about the effect transfers have a the time, but what about coaching?

Gait brings such a unique background it’s kind of hard to tell. For some reason I see Gait as an extension of Desko, but I think that comes from the fact that he is an alum. The more I read and hear from him he really sounds like a different sort of coach, one more freewheeling and willing to let the players play (but also be a really good teacher at HOW to play that way).

I think Petro should really be able to help the defense. Obviously people are doubting him now because of Hopkins but now that he’s able to focus on one thing (defense) and not the other CEO responsibilities, I think he could and will really thrive. So in short I do think I would put the Orange above Cornell and Yale, in the eight spot.

I agree with you, but I’m still confused on your stance regarding the recent transfers. If you think there’s a chance they won’t start, why would they help Maryland rise in the rankings?
You mentioned raising the Terps upwards if they got Khan or Lilly.
I think Malever is pretty good. 20 points as a second line midfielder is very good and as a freshman. He could be ready to make the same sort of jump that Kyle Long did.
Khan gives the Terps an experienced player. The question being how he will do against stronger competition.
In the end, Tillman gets to choose the better. He gets depth against injury. The one who comes in second, can help strengthen the midfield.

Donville is somewhat similar at the midfield.

I am curious what the new coaching hires’ impact will be on the expectations for Syracuse this season. Are they higher, lower, the same? We talk about the effect transfers have a the time, but what about coaching?

Gait brings such a unique background it’s kind of hard to tell. For some reason I see Gait as an extension of Desko, but I think that comes from the fact that he is an alum. The more I read and hear from him he really sounds like a different sort of coach, one more freewheeling and willing to let the players play (but also be a really good teacher at HOW to play that way).

I think Petro should really be able to help the defense. Obviously people are doubting him now because of Hopkins but now that he’s able to focus on one thing (defense) and not the other CEO responsibilities, I think he could and will really thrive. So in short I do think I would put the Orange above Cornell and Yale, in the eight spot.
There might be some visible changes here and there this coming season. A lot will depend on how "drastic" a change the new staff believes they need to implement. If it is "drastic", it will take time to get all the pieces fully in place, in terms of having players who can do exactly what you want the way you want.

There might be some visible changes here and there this coming season. A lot will depend on how "drastic" a change the new staff believes they need to implement. If it is "drastic", it will take time to get all the pieces fully in place, in terms of having players who can do exactly what you want the way you want.

I’ve heard both Gait and Petro talk about not wanting to make square pegs fit round holes. Coaches say one thing but do the other all the time, but I guess I’d be surprised personally if they do something drastic. I guess you mean making cuts? Taking transfers? I get the sense that Gait especially is more of a teacher and not someone who is rigidly stuck on one “system”. So he might just want to see what he has before making a ton of changes (maybe that happens next year).

I’ve heard both Gait and Petro talk about not wanting to make square pegs fit round holes. Coaches say one thing but do the other all the time, but I guess I’d be surprised personally if they do something drastic. I guess you mean making cuts? Taking transfers? I get the sense that Gait especially is more of a teacher and not someone who is rigidly stuck on one “system”. So he might just want to see what he has before making a ton of changes (maybe that happens next year).
What I'm trying (very poorly) to say is that with any coaching change in any sport, gradual change has to happen until the staff can get all the players they need to fully implement what they're trying to accomplish. Some present players already fit their paradigm, either because the new style is also the player's style, or the player is so good they can readily adapt to whatever style is desired.

What I'm trying (very poorly) to say is that with any coaching change in any sport, gradual change has to happen until the staff can get all the players they need to fully implement what they're trying to accomplish. Some present players already fit their paradigm, either because the new style is also the player's style, or the player is so good they can readily adapt to whatever style is desired.
Expressed it quite well which surprises coming from a Hoo

Do expect a few square pegs in round holes this year due to ability to fill present need as well as some cuts to to more effectively focus, teach and implement.

UVA now has a clear identity but it took time to establish and refine.

Expressed it quite well which surprises coming from a Hoo

Do expect a few square pegs in round holes this year due to ability to fill present need as well as some cuts to to more effectively focus, teach and implement.

UVA now has a clear identity but it took time to establish and refine.
This exactly.

"Patience is a virtue."

"Eyes on the prize."

I think I would put UNC at #4. The losses at offensive midfield are huge: the 3 starters and then Trippi, McCarthy and Cameron too. They do return all their starting attackman: Gray, Solomon and Kelly, along with Lance Tillman, so they might move one of them out to strengthen the offensive midfield. They have last year's #4 recruit, midfielder Cole Herbert, who was getting his feet wet this Spring. They have attackman Dewey Egan, A/M Ryan Levy, and midfielders: Ty English, Johnny Schwarz, and Antonio DeMarco in the UA AA game - a couple of these guys should be ready to contribute.
UNC adds a top face-off recruit in Chase Mullin, who with Tucci could help them avoid get beaten of face-offs as often, which could be a big plus. They bring in an UA AA on the defense and one at LSM, and have Kreig in goal.
Rebuilding the midfield will be a big chore for Breschi, but he has a lot of talent to use. Having a Tewaraaton finalist like Gray around is a big plus.

Zach, Nice writeup on UNC but lean towards Powell ranking because heels also lose Bowen and Macri besides that the 1st line. Breschi did either a great job recruiting or accepting, he cleaned up according by IL top 100 list and have the best class followed by Duke, UVA and ND , one thing I noted beyond Cuse putrid haul is the modest recruiting class of Maryland despite being in a hotbed with many inherent advantages . See Trader at #4, then a #30 and #42 and little else . Is Tillman's active involvement in transfer portal becoming a deterrent to MD hs recruiting ?

Zach, Nice writeup on UNC but lean towards Powell ranking because heels also lose Bowen and Macri besides that the 1st line. Breschi did either a great job recruiting or accepting, he cleaned up according by IL top 100 list and have the best class followed by Duke, UVA and ND , one thing I noted beyond Cuse putrid haul is the modest recruiting class of Maryland despite being in a hotbed with many inherent advantages . See Trader at #4, then a #30 and #42 and little else . Is Tillman's active involvement in transfer portal becoming a deterrent to MD hs recruiting ?
No.
I don't think UMD tends to recruit quite as well as UVa, Duke, or UNC and needs to find a few good transfers to stay near the top. Whether it is a Wisnauskas now or a Chanenchuk in the past, it is part of how Tillman builds his team.

Maryland's hotbed advantage is not as big as it seems. Most of the top players in Maryland are private schoolers and UMD isn't particularly preppy. The top players are going to get good scholarships so UMd's instate tuition is relatively insignificant to them.

The Terp's incoming freshman Eric Spanos, who wasn't ranked last fall, was named in the 2nd wave of UA AAs.

Zach, Nice writeup on UNC but lean towards Powell ranking because heels also lose Bowen and Macri besides that the 1st line. Breschi did either a great job recruiting or accepting, he cleaned up according by IL top 100 list and have the best class followed by Duke, UVA and ND ,
All the top teams lose some defense:
Maryland loses Grill, and possibly Rahill and some ssdms - true seniors
Virginia loses Jared Connors, and possibly Kology a true senior
Duke loses Giles-Harris and Adler in goal
Notre Dame loses Kielty and Thornton
So I don't really see harping on UNC's defensive losses so much

I think I would put UNC at #4. The losses at offensive midfield are huge: the 3 starters and then Trippi, McCarthy and Cameron too. They do return all their starting attackman: Gray, Solomon and Kelly, along with Lance Tillman, so they might move one of them out to strengthen the offensive midfield. They have last year's #4 recruit, midfielder Cole Herbert, who was getting his feet wet this Spring. They have attackman Dewey Egan, A/M Ryan Levy, and midfielders: Ty English, Johnny Schwarz, and Antonio DeMarco in the UA AA game - a couple of these guys should be ready to contribute.
UNC adds a top face-off recruit in Chase Mullin, who with Tucci could help them avoid get beaten of face-offs as often, which could be a big plus. They bring in an UA AA on the defense and one at LSM, and have Kreig in goal.
Rebuilding the midfield will be a big chore for Breschi, but he has a lot of talent to use. Having a Tewaraaton finalist like Gray around is a big plus.

A lot of good points, but I’m drawn to the number of freshmen you list. I know UNC makes up half the under armor game, but I think relying on first year players, especially lots of them is a dangerous proposition. Duke relied on a good amount of first years last year and made the final four, but they seemed like a very unique team. I can’t seem to remember many recent other teams that relied on a lot of freshmen. The heels have a bunch of other Under Armor AAs on their roster, so maybe someone else who hasn’t seen the field will break out. But it’s a lot of players they have to replace. Midfield is so important and they are replacing their top five guys and I think it’s just too much. I could easily see them outside the top 10 this year.

I'll stay with UNC at #4, building an offense around the attackman of the year sounds like a good thing.
Let's not forget that while we have heard of players transferring out of UNC, we have not heard anything about who Breschi is bringing in.

I'll stay with UNC at #4, building an offense around the attackman of the year sounds like a good thing.
Let's not forget that while we have heard of players transferring out of UNC, we have not heard anything about who Breschi is bringing in.

Curious what the rest of your top 10 looks like?

I don't really have a rest of the top 10. With the Ivy League not playing this past spring, it is hard to know where they are at. With the Ivies not having played and having lost some personnel, I would not expect any of them to be in the top group of 5, but the best of them might be top 10. I'm at 6 right now
1 Virginia
2 Maryland
3 Duke
4 UNC
5 Georgetown
6 Notre Dame

anybody can be anywhere. lot of talent and pt floated out last year.
yale will be reloaded.
it's tough to see ahead of time any particular b1g team other than md challenging. but with the amount of losses everywhere in the acc (with the hoos maybe the least), hoo knows what'll happen.
unc has just a huge gulf at middie and maybe d. maybe they'll get three 3 or 4 year starters out of it. tillman needs to be on the field, it'll be interesting to see if they pull the plug on one of their 2 starters.
i like uva at 5. seems to be their sweet spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom