2022 USMNT Thread | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2022 USMNT Thread

By world ranking our pot is one of the hardest if not the hardest. Now I don’t hate the draw but wish we had an better first game. Glad we are back in the world cup. Better than last go around!

Only positive I will say is England is notorious for underwhelming at the WC( in general not speaking to last cycle), we know how Iran will play it so shouldn't be any surprises there. Big question mark is who we get through the playoff. Wales is likely but Ukraine is a wild card. Plus no doubt they have the fan support and the ultimate sense of purpose and unity as a team. That makes them an extremely dangerous squad.

Only positive I will say is England is notorious for underwhelming at the WC( in general not speaking to last cycle), we know how Iran will play it so shouldn't be any surprises there. Big question mark is who we get through the playoff. Wales is likely but Ukraine is a wild card. Plus no doubt they have the fan support and the ultimate sense of purpose and unity as a team. That makes them an extremely dangerous squad.

Ukraine by far the best of the three.

I'm kind of hoping for Scotland to come through the playoff. I expect to have to face Wales & Bale. If it were Scotland or Ukraine, I'd be expecting 3 points from our opening game, which would be a great start.

With Bale's presence, we might start off with a draw, then a game vs. England, and then HAVE to win vs. Iran in game 3 to advance.

I'm kind of hoping for Scotland to come through the playoff. I expect to have to face Wales & Bale. If it were Scotland or Ukraine, I'd be expecting 3 points from our opening game, which would be a great start.

With Bale's presence, we might start off with a draw, then a game vs. England, and then HAVE to win vs. Iran in game 3 to advance.

Yeah I'm envisioning something similar to 2010 or . Hopefully not quite as dramatic. Bale is tough yes but I think we can beat them. Not sure if I would prefer the Scots or not.

All of you are sleeping on Scotland… Andy Robertson is a better player than Bale at this point and Scotland has more depth than Wales. Remember, Scotland and England drew in the Euros. Regardless of who the last team is, US should be betting favorites to finish in 2nd, but it’s definitely no cake walk.

All of you are sleeping on Scotland… Andy Robertson is a better player than Bale at this point and Scotland has more depth than Wales. Remember, Scotland and England drew in the Euros. Regardless of who the last team is, US should be betting favorites to finish in 2nd, but it’s definitely no cake walk.

We played Scotland only a couple years ago with this new group as it was taking shape and thrashed them pretty good, if I'm remembering correctly. Last time vs. Wales, we drew 0-0. Wales' stars are getting older, but may have 1 more good tournament run in them. I don't think the other 2 teams are capable of that.

We played Scotland only a couple years ago with this new group as it was taking shape and thrashed them pretty good, if I'm remembering correctly. Last time vs. Wales, we drew 0-0. Wales' stars are getting older, but may have 1 more good tournament run in them. I don't think the other 2 teams are capable of that.

I don't know. Ukraine made it to the Euro 2020 quarters and if they qualify for WC I'm sure the team pride will be turned all the way up. Scotland I think has the better defenders but USA has better attacking players. Would be an interesting match. Ukraine I still think is the best of those three.

Wow. Really surprised this go around. Someone check in on Forza?
LOL.

Disappointed to be sure but at least one of my two teams is in it this time, unlike last time when both Italy and the US missed out.

I don't get too worked up about this stuff.

I still loved the 2018 World cup and watched as much as i could even though my teams were not in it - just like I watched as much of the tourney this year as I could even though we were not in it.

LOL.

Disappointed to be sure but at least one of my two teams is in it this time, unlike last time when both Italy and the US missed out.

I don't get too worked up about this stuff.

I still loved the 2018 World cup and watched as much as i could even though my teams were not in it - just like I watched as much of the tourney this year as I could even though we were not in it.

Haha I know just noticed you hadn't been around much.

I was genuinely shocked though.

I don't know. Ukraine made it to the Euro 2020 quarters and if they qualify for WC I'm sure the team pride will be turned all the way up. Scotland I think has the better defenders but USA has better attacking players. Would be an interesting match. Ukraine I still think is the best of those three.

I hadn't remembered that from Euro 2020. I know Yarmelenko and the LB for Man City are both top players, but I don't really see a lot of elite talent after those 2.

I hadn't remembered that from Euro 2020. I know Yarmelenko and the LB for Man City are both top players, but I don't really see a lot of elite talent after those 2.

Ruslan Malinovski has a hammer for a left foot and then they have Roman Yaremchuk who's a solid striker with Benfica. To quote Seinfeld...Ukraine Not Weak!

Haha I know just noticed you hadn't been around much.

I was genuinely shocked though.
We were away and I could not watch games so I DVR'd them and watched them when we got back. Just got all caught up.

Italy dominated game; outshot them something like 32-4 but could not finish and they buried one. That is soccer. It happens.

Italy not the same team since Spinazzola went down. Insignie less effective without him. Chiesa tore his ACL. They are getting a bagel out of the #9. Italy is a team that needs to be more than the sum of its parts and it just wasn't happening through qualifying.

Don't sleep on Ukraine or Scotland, Both are decent teams. Ukraine made the quarters last year before getting demolished by England.

Our goal s/b round of 16. Win against first opponent, a point against England and then beat Iran. I think it is 50/50 we go through. First game is key.

Have to get there healthy. Mckennie, Adams, Musah, Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Robinson, Dest...Need them all at 100%

Miles Robinson yes... I feel like I follow USMNT and soccer in general pretty closely and I've never heard of Kamal Miller and Taejon Buchanon
Oh wait are then American? Maybe that's why I don't know them

Oh wait are then American? Maybe that's why I don't know them
If you were Canadian, I am sure you would know and love them. They both played very well in the qualifiers. Including against the US.

Reyna has all this talent and to be having hamstring issues over and over is not good.. something they really need to get a handle on whether is diet/hydration/ stretching or whatever..

especially to do it that early in a game.

how can you put him in as a sub with these issues in a WC you would have to start him just in case.

Reyna has all this talent and to be having hamstring issues over and over is not good.. something they really need to get a handle on whether is diet/hydration/ stretching or whatever..

especially to do it that early in a game.

how can you put him in as a sub with these issues in a WC you would have to start him just in case.

Worries me as Ozil had recurring hamstring issues for quite some time too. Hopefully Gio can get it fully healed. Hammys are one injury that can follow you a whole career.

Likely we are playing Wales.

Wales has Bale.
I watched them at the Euros last year and they didn’t impress.

I think the USA a deeper roster than Wales.

Iran is what Matt said a physical team. We have dealt with physical teams in CONCACAF.

I like this draw as if we get thru our first KO opponent is likely Netherlands.

We can beat them in a one off.
You had me at Bale.

Last edited:
Morocco match in June should be one to see where we stand.. they had a pretty good run to the WC.

we play 3 times in those 2 weeks.. i suppose they must be doing some kind of games between june and nov though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom