2022 World Cup | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2022 World Cup

I'll just add putting some spin/curve on it so it bends in to help direct it into goal. As a supposed world class player it amazes me how bad he is here. For instance I was the primary set piece taker and getting a good bend on your corner is not difficult. I just don't understand why the struggle. Poor crosses under duress is one thing but my God a corner should be well struck 9/10 times.
Yes. Great point. Both the bend and, if desired, the dip are also so important.

The 1989 game vs. T&T was on ESPN.
LOL. Was it really?

I remember scouring the news to try and find out the result to find out if we had qualified. I think I ended up seeing the result in the NY Times the next day.

I wonder why I did not know it was on ESPN.

so i guess the fact ratings for game 1 were up like 75% of 2018? and the telemundo was up 165%

I wonder how much of that is attributable to the US being in the field.

So while i realize its against the long standing history of professional football and some may disagree.. but I think it's high time they just run the clock down and use stoppages.

Treat the end of half like it's done in hoops where a shot is only good if off the foot before the clock is zero, and any touch after, besides from the goalie is too late.

There are three keys to delivering a good set piece, whether it be a corner or a free kick that is close enough for a ball to be whipped into the box:

1. Get the ball over the head of the initial defender, especially on corners. This is fundamental.
2. Deliver the ball with pace at the proper height.
3. Put the ball in an area where the keeper cannot get to it and if one of our guys gets a head, or other body part to it, the keeper has no chance unless it is right at him.

His deliveries were not good yesterday.

And this is where I think Reyna is the best person on the team to do this IMO. He also does this well during gameplay and doesn’t hesitate like our current crosses where the defense has already recovered.

Yes for sure needless. I’m just saying from previous games I’ve seen from Wales that’s their playbook.

In fairness almost every team we play in concacaf plays that style. It sucks but we’ve had a lot of practice playing against it.

Have to hope that Alphonso Davies injury isn’t bad, and if it is, I wish they’d keep him out as the match against Croatia I think is where this group will be decided. However, any points tomorrow will be so massive for Canada… I’m thinking the stage might be a little too big against a Belgium team that is strong (but prone to underperforming).

Have never seen Canada in a World Cup in my life time. Should be fun regardless!

Mor - Cro draw was as expected.

Need Germany to hold on here. You can see Japan style giving Germany some fits as well, like they did vs the USA

I am thinking the +2 for CR . I do see most places think the under is the play but Spain makes enough mistakes they might let one leak in

Canada what to do.. Davies at full strength would have been nice

Morocco/Croatia was an early morning snoozer after staying up late for the Cuse game last night. Tough to power through that one.

Germany/Japan much more entertaining.

just as i was thinking maybe throw some money at Japan ML to pull this out. not quick enough

Morocco/Croatia was an early morning snoozer after staying up late for the Cuse game last night. Tough to power through that one.

Germany/Japan much more entertaining.
I had Mor at +.5 so boring is good.

So interesting nugget. As we know FIFA rankings are laughable before I get to the next part.

That said- the US's group has 4 nations ranked in the top 20 of the current rankings with England 5, US 16, Wales 18 and Iran 20.

As of current rankings no other group has even 3 nations in the top 20.. let alone 4. Now there a few where they are just outside of getting 3 but still... on paper we have the worst group in the whole WC to advance out of.

Also I still don't understand why they have the rankings if they aren't going to use them in scheduling on top of the pods. For instance the U.S. was ranked higher than Wales, Ukraine or Scotland. Thus why wouldn't the USA England match be match number 3 instead of 2?? To me that makes no sense.

Anyways none of that matters just found it interesting

Ticos are Apollo Creed to Spain’s Ivan Drago.

1669227371414.jpeg

Canada dominating in the first 15 minutes against Belgium but can't score (7 shot attempts vs 1) - including a missed penalty kick for Davies. I think they are going to regret it against a superior team.

Canadians outplaying Belgium early.. sucks they couldn't put that penalty away.

Canada dominating in the first 15 minutes against Belgium but can't score (7 shot attempts vs 1) - including a missed penalty kick for Davies. I think they are going to regret it against a superior team.

Belgium looks awful to be fair. Expect that will change soon.

It's sad just how much more organized Canada has looked over the past couple years vs what Berhalter has put out there for the U.S.

Argentina should have been up 4-0 in the first half if it wasn’t for all of those offsides calls.
Didn’t see the game, but we’re they offside? Was a passive offside that should not have been called?

There are three keys to delivering a good set piece, whether it be a corner or a free kick that is close enough for a ball to be whipped into the box:

1. Get the ball over the head of the initial defender, especially on corners. This is fundamental.
2. Deliver the ball with pace at the proper height.
3. Put the ball in an area where the keeper cannot get to it and if one of our guys gets a head, or other body part to it, the keeper has no chance unless it is right at him.

His deliveries were not good yesterday.
A firm corner to a well placed header is lights out for any keeper.
I used to hate the offside rule until my son played keeper. Then I knew why. Soccer keepers have the biggest disadvantage in sports. The off side rule keeps it more fair.

You just knew these missed chances, and honestly a terrible pen from Davies, was gonna haunt them.

Should be up 2 yet down 1…
Sorry man. You should have had a couple in the first half. That PK attempt was weirdly awful for a world class player. And then that erroneous offside call that should have been another PK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom