2023-24 NBA Season | Page 121 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

I think a lot of people are underrating Edey. He’s shown decent enough quickness on the perimeter to guard out there. He’s being stereotyped quite a bit.

Don't think many had Knecht falling all the way down to #17. Lakers probably happy, as they might get someone who can support now which they need given that their expiration date is near.
Raiders have their own level of God awful picks but the Lakers have been Raiders-esque in some horrible picks the last decade. With the bar so low I have no complaints taking a dude most through wouldn't be there at #17

Don't think many had Knecht falling all the way down to #17. Lakers probably happy, as they might get someone who can support now which they need given that their expiration date is near.

I wanted him to go to ORL. They need shooting. Can't believe the Lakers got him. Don't think he'll be great, but do think he'll be solid.

I don't think Tacko is in the same stratosphere as a prospect to be honest. I think there's a decent chance Edey is a full-time starter as a rookie and Memphis is a likely playoff (or at least play-in) team.

I don't like Edey as a starter-level prospect in the NBA, but he's not Tacko.

I think he'll end up a matchup guy, which is fine. This draft isn't good and taking him at 9 in this draft is not an overreach imo for a guy you think can stay in a rotation.

Hopefully it works out for Lindsey -- not really familiar with him but Utah has done well in their rebuild. Detroit doesn't have a Mitchell or Gobert though to accumulate things, and they seem to consistently get in that #4/#5 spot recently in the draft which is where things tend to get tricky,

Exec's though can go up and down very quickly. I'll use the case of Masai Ujiri.

In 2016 and 2017 Masai Ujiri and his staff, did the following:
#23 - OG Anunoby
#27 - Pascal Siakam
#46 - Norm Powell
UDFA - Fred Van Vleet.
I'm not sure if any GM got so much value over 2 drafts, without any #20 picks. (I guess Jokic alone at #41 trumps that, but in terms of 3+ players)

That turned into about $140 million of contracts today and the backbone of their supporting depth for their 2019 title team and 2020 team that essentially won 60 games without Kawhi.

Since then though, Masai and his staff have basically been hot garbage in terms of player development, identifying talent, and trades.

Det is in a tough spot. I'm guessing the new regime doesn't really like the previous picks.

They are at least two/three years away from being competitive for non play in seed and I think that is even a stretch. They have a lot of work to do.

Yeah, I mean, of course everyone's saying it's a weak draft, but usually what that means is that it's not as clear cut who's at the top. There are emerging stars every year.

The 2013 draft wasn't great but you have a multi year MVP in Giannis and a multi year DPOY in Gobert that were identified after the lottery.

Front offices have to have the mindset that the talent is somewhere in the class, you just have to find it and develop it.

I wanted him to go to ORL. They need shooting. Can't believe the Lakers got him. Don't think he'll be great, but do think he'll be solid.
Fortunately for Orlando, there's a lot of shooting likely available this offseason and they have money and assets to acquire it whatever way they see fit. Huerter for example might be given away for very little value. Buddy Hield is a free agent and will probably be cheaper than anyone would have guessed earlier in the year. Potentially someone like Klay if Golden State is really ready to make some big moves.

Det is in a tough spot. I'm guessing the new regime doesn't really like the previous picks.

They are at least two/three years away from being competitive for non play in seed and I think that is even a stretch. They have a lot of work to do.
I think I've mentioned it already, but I really think Detroit should consider trading Cade. If they don't use this offseason to get a lot better quickly, they'll have wasted his entire rookie contract with no idea if he's really the guy they can build a good team around. And that's not even mentioning his struggles staying healthy every season. I would feel terrible about giving him a max contract if you're coming off another 15-20 win season.

I had Holland #2 on my big board, so I think that's good value for Detroit there, but he doesn't really fit what the team needs at all right now. They're in a really weird spot. In some ways, I think they're in a worse position than the Wizards. The Wizards at least realize they're blank slate and are starting from scratch. I fear Detroit doesn't realize just how dire they actually are and are going to waste another 4 years before they realize they should have torn it all down again.

I think I've mentioned it already, but I really think Detroit should consider trading Cade. If they don't use this offseason to get a lot better quickly, they'll have wasted his entire rookie contract with no idea if he's really the guy they can build a good team around. And that's not even mentioning his struggles staying healthy every season. I would feel terrible about giving him a max contract if you're coming off another 15-20 win season.

I had Holland #2 on my big board, so I think that's good value for Detroit there, but he doesn't really fit what the team needs at all right now. They're in a really weird spot. In some ways, I think they're in a worse position than the Wizards. The Wizards at least realize they're blank slate and are starting from scratch. I fear Detroit doesn't realize just how dire they actually are and are going to waste another 4 years before they realize they should have torn it all down again.
It seems like Detroit has some interesting individual talents, but they just don't match up right and play winning basketball.

It seems like Detroit has some interesting individual talents, but they just don't match up right and play winning basketball.
Agreed. To an extent, the same kinda goes for Houston. They aren’t as terrible as Detroit but similarly have a lot of talented young pieces that other teams would probably like to have but they haven’t figured out how to play together yet. I tend to think Reed Sheppard can be the sort of connector piece that maybe gets that team working but we’ll see.

Tacko averaged 11 points a game in his senior season. Edey 25.

They will both have similar defensive challenges in the new NBA (although I think Edey might have high levels of basketball awareness that could help him a bit) but at least Edey should be able to contribute offensively in the new NBA. Edey, in workouts anyway, has demonstrated that he has an outside shot, something Tacko never had. Also better hands, better on the PnR, can shoot Free throws.

Not saying Edey will be a star or even consistent starter in the league, but Fall had 228 total minutes in the NBA.
Edey will be given every chance because of where he was drafted so his minutes played will not be indicative of success. He will be pick and rolled off the court and onto the bench where he will be a solid short burst bench guy

It reminds me that if you google NBA players from Duke and NBA players from Kentucky, you see a ton of great players who never won an NCAA championship but are making a ton of money in the pros.

I'm not bullish on Filipkowski, but still feel that with the right team that he can have a solid and lengthy NBA career and make great money playing the sport. Maybe his expectation will be a little less. The draft is pretty much a crapshoot for a lot of teams and a lot of first rounders barely make a 2nd contract.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him picked 32nd by Utah.
That was very predictable. Fills Olynyk's spot.

Man I absolutely love Philly's draft.

In other news, Milwaukee took another kid that has basically no chance of contributing anytime soon. I will say it's been an interesting draft for us to be kind lol.

Wasn’t All City LA, made McDonalds.

Barely made a blip on the radar in college, got a combine invite.

Got drafted 55 after your dads agency threatened to have you play in another country if you got drafted by another team.

Nepotism is rampant in a lot of the world, but this may be the worst ever in sports.

Wasn’t All City LA, made McDonalds.

Barely made a blip on the radar in college, got a combine invite.

Got drafted 55 after your dads agency threatened to have you play in another country if you got drafted by another team.

Nepotism is rampant in a lot of the world, but this may be the worst ever in sports.
Worst ever? Wow!

G-League attendance will skyrocket.

Celebrate, don’t hate.

lol, sure. Either Bronny will be good enough and the Lakers will put him on the NBA team or he'll be bad and nobody will go watch him play in the G-League, just like we saw in college this year. As Woj said, nepotism is rampant in the NBA; I'm not even mad about it. But there's no non-nepotism arguments in favor of drafting Bronny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom