2023-24 NBA Season | Page 127 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

DeRozan to the Kings. Bulls get two 2nd round picks, cash, and old friend Chris Duarte. Spurs are the 3rd team in the trade— and get Harrison Barnes and a pick swap.
Pretty cool moment at the Kings summer league game last night (in Sacramento). DeRozan was rumored as a possible add late this week but nothing concrete. I was skeptical and I think most others were since there have been rumors of Markkanen and Ingram since free agency started but nothing has materialized. Anyways, about 20 mins before the game started Woj tweeted that the deal was done; I'd say maybe 30 to 40% of the crowd saw or were made aware of the tweet. Then about 20 minutes later as the game is about to tip off, DeRozan comes out of the tunnel to "Not Like Us" (Kendrick Lamar song that he's in the new music video for) and everyone goes nuts and gives him a standing ovation. Not sure about the fit and how it will all work out but was a unique scene either way; never seen a player introduced so quickly after a deal.

If you're Lebron and worth $1.2 billion, why not play for the league minimum at this point and let the Lakers go to town signing high quality role players to build depth on the roster?

They are over the cap (correct me if I am wrong) -- so there are only a few FIXED $ exemptions you can you have to sign players... in the future taking cuts to get teams under aprons to actually be able to make a trade or use an exemption might become much more of a thing.

Last edited:
I know my post was out there with the "league minimum" idea but even pulling a Tom Brady and taking a modest pay cut to create cap room in the future. I don't think Brady's brand was affected by that. If anything it made him look great in many people's eyes.

Two things: Brady’s brand and LeBron’s are two different brands. And, the NFL and NBA are way different.

LeBron wasn’t the highest paid player on his own team for a long time.

I believe during the stretch where he won four MVPs in five years he was never the highest paid on his own team.

At one point, Windhorst reported about how that wasn’t going to be the case anymore.

LeBron also owns part of Klutch (I know, I know) and no sports agency is going to have anyone taking a cut outside of a small slice.

And back to Brady, I’m not sure if he’d take a cut as frequently as he did if he had to re-do it.

As it pertains to the Lakers, I think it’s less the LeBron pay cut and the fact that I’m not sure how appealing the Lakers are to free agents.

Playing with a fully LeBron-run team, they just drafted his kid, hired his podcast buddy, etc and they are looking at likely being in the 6-10 seed window at best.

At some point the salary is a status symbol as much as anything else.

Also the Lakers are pretty close to capped out without Lebron on the roster at all. He claims he would've taken a significant paycut to use the full MLE if they could've gotten someone they liked at that number (Jonas Valuncunias being on that list is one of the funnier things I've read recently) but even if he played for free basically they would have about $10 million in space.
Also the players union would have something to say about that.

Pretty cool moment at the Kings summer league game last night (in Sacramento). DeRozan was rumored as a possible add late this week but nothing concrete. I was skeptical and I think most others were since there have been rumors of Markkanen and Ingram since free agency started but nothing has materialized. Anyways, about 20 mins before the game started Woj tweeted that the deal was done; I'd say maybe 30 to 40% of the crowd saw or were made aware of the tweet. Then about 20 minutes later as the game is about to tip off, DeRozan comes out of the tunnel to "Not Like Us" (Kendrick Lamar song that he's in the new music video for) and everyone goes nuts and gives him a standing ovation. Not sure about the fit and how it will all work out but was a unique scene either way; never seen a player introduced so quickly after a deal.
Yeah, I saw that last night too…

I think Edey is going to be pretty good. He outplayed Walker Kessler last night by a good margin.
Two things he's overlooked on - A) he has a bit of an edge to him and plays physical and B) he's a better athlete than people think. If he only has to play 20-25 minutes a night he is going to impact games.

I think Edey is going to be pretty good. He outplayed Walker Kessler last night by a good margin.

I think he'll be a rotation guy, maybe a starter.

The issue is once they hit the playoffs, how flex can he be in matchups. But Memphis has a lot of mix and matching they can do.

I think Edey will be solid. Not great.

But, this draft was so bad getting him where they got him and the need they had, I think he'll be solid for them. If everyone is healthy and Ja keeps his head on straight, they should be back in the thick of it.

Kawhi not playing olympics which doesn't surprise me. Who replaces him?

Filipowski looked in his debut outings with Utah that even at #32, he might be a reach for relevancy. Maybe he was nervous, whatever but he sure hasn’t had impressive outings. He’s only 20 though so maybe he’ll get a chance to develop. Wonder if he’d end up in the G League. Former Dukie Jared McCain is playing very well for Philly though and looking like a real factor.

Filipowski looked in his debut outings with Utah that even at #32 he might be a reach for relevancy. Maybe he was nervous, whatever but he sure hasn’t had impressive outings. He’s only 20 though so maybe he’ll get a chance to develop. Wonder if he’d end up in the G League. Former Dukie Jared McCain is playing very well for Philly though and looking like a real factor.
I think Filipowski will have to figure out how to become an integral part of the team. Especially if he is playing next to Markkanen and John Collins. Olynyk did a lot of little things to remain relevant. Same thing with Judah. Last night when he played off guar d along side of McCain, he was like invisible. Judah is used to having the ball in his hands and Filipowski is used to be a major part of the Duke lineup. Now you have to earn it. It's a complete different ball game.

Last edited:
USA Olympic hoops plays the 1st of their 5 exhibitions vs Canada tonight at 10:30p EST on FS1. Excited to watch SGA & Murray backcourt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom