2023-24 NBA Season | Page 125 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

Mavs get Klay.

LeBron is striking out on adding bigger talent to his Lakeshow… Harden, Klay, Valanciunas were the three names reported who he was willing to take less to get.

It’ll probably be DeRozan now, and my Bulls will get nothing in return… again. They are the worst FO.

Mavs get Klay.

LeBron is striking out on adding bigger talent to his Lakeshow… Harden, Klay, Valanciunas were the three names reported who he was willing to take less to get.

It’ll probably be DeRozan now, and my Bulls will get nothing in return… again. They are the worst FO.
This might be a stupid question but does Klay start or come off the bench?

Mavs get Klay.

Color me meshuga (guilty!), but I think DeRozan is a better fit.

The Bulls front office might be the worst in all of American pro sports. Just pathetic. The state of the Bulls is downright depressing and a joke here in Chicago. Reinsdorf doesn't care as long as attendance continues to be strong.
his goal is 42-40 play in game appearance.

Mavs and OKC, I think, are winning the offseason.

OKC with Caruso and Hartenstein should prob be favorites to get the 1 seed in the west (not saying they should be favored to win the title, but regular season I think they'll crush).

Mavs giving up DJJ, THJr and Green and getting Klay, Naji and Grimes and being under the apron is crazy. Great job by Nico.

OKC with Caruso and Hartenstein should prob be favorites to get the 1 seed in the west (not saying they should be favored to win the title, but regular season I think they'll crush).

Mavs giving up DJJ, THJr and Green and getting Klay, Naji and Grimes and being under the apron is crazy. Great job by Nico.
With you on OKC. Not sure what you’re seeing with the Mavs.

And, OKC has Jackson Boeheim on an Exhibit 10, so, I mean... get the scissors ready, they're gonna cut nets (why isn't that an NBA thing?).

I definitely question the perimeter defense for the Mavs, but Naji and Grimes are nice buy low guys and Klay will probably still know how to shoot there. I do think a large part of his value, his off ball movement, is rendered pretty useless playing with ball stoppers like Luka and Kyrie, but maybe we’ll see them grow their games a bit with Klay’s skillset there. Consider me skeptical.

OKC has done a nice job improving, not exactly surprising considering the ridiculous number of assets they have at their disposal. I do think the Hartenstein contract is a little gross but I think the 3rd year is either non-guaranteed or just partial which makes it much better for them as that’s when they’ll be paying all their young guys.

We’ll see how they round out their rosters but it’s hard to go against what New York and Philly have done this offseason.

I definitely question the perimeter defense for the Mavs, but Naji and Grimes are nice buy low guys and Klay will probably still know how to shoot there. I do think a large part of his value, his off ball movement, is rendered pretty useless playing with ball stoppers like Luka and Kyrie, but maybe we’ll see them grow their games a bit with Klay’s skillset there. Consider me skeptical.

OKC has done a nice job improving, not exactly surprising considering the ridiculous number of assets they have at their disposal. I do think the Hartenstein contract is a little gross but I think the 3rd year is either non-guaranteed or just partial which makes it much better for them as that’s when they’ll be paying all their young guys.

We’ll see how they round out their rosters but it’s hard to go against what New York and Philly have done this offseason.
Okc is also in a spot where they have money to spend before Chet and Jdub extend so they can afford to “overpay” (which I think you have to say the deal for harty is, even with the protections on the third year) for the next two years and take a shot at it.

Losing harty is a pretty big blow for the Knicks. I’m not sure what they do at center now

Okc is also in a spot where they have money to spend before Chet and Jdub extend so they can afford to “overpay” (which I think you have to say the deal for harty is, even with the protections on the third year) for the next two years and take a shot at it.

Losing harty is a pretty big blow for the Knicks. I’m not sure what they do at center now
I tend to think the Knicks should try to trade Randle for a C + bench piece but I have zero read on what sort of value Randle has around the league. One of the weirder trade chips in the league as an All Star on a relatively cheap deal but isn’t the easiest guy to fit into a team/has a horrendous playoff record. Either that or maybe you can just throw a couple 1st round picks at Utah for Walker Kessler.

I tend to think the Knicks should try to trade Randle for a C + bench piece but I have zero read on what sort of value Randle has around the league. One of the weirder trade chips in the league as an All Star on a relatively cheap deal but isn’t the easiest guy to fit into a team/has a horrendous playoff record. Either that or maybe you can just throw a couple 1st round picks at Utah for Walker Kessler.
Trader Danny does like to deal.

About that...

Randle is such a frustrating player to analyze. He can be really good, (you dont want to focus too much on box score stats but there arent of ton of guys out there who have 25-10-5 type lines) but the playoff record is real bad and the fit issues of a 4 man who doesnt really defend the rim and does his best work in the paint can be tough to build around. They also still can kinda use his shot creation; Bridges, OG, Donte are all better as a third or fourth guy in the pecking order when they dont have the ball in their hands that much. Randle can also be a FA next summer so you gotta figure out his long term future.

He was really good (like the whole team) in that January run when they got OG. I can see some small lineups with him as the nominal 5 where he can just feast on offense. I was so excited when they got Bridges, losing Harty has taken me down a bit.

About that...

Randle is such a frustrating player to analyze. He can be really good, (you dont want to focus too much on box score stats but there arent of ton of guys out there who have 25-10-5 type lines) but the playoff record is real bad and the fit issues of a 4 man who doesnt really defend the rim and does his best work in the paint can be tough to build around. They also still can kinda use his shot creation; Bridges, OG, Donte are all better as a third or fourth guy in the pecking order when they dont have the ball in their hands that much. Randle can also be a FA next summer so you gotta figure out his long term future.

He was really good (like the whole team) in that January run when they got OG. I can see some small lineups with him as the nominal 5 where he can just feast on offense. I was so excited when they got Bridges, losing Harty has taken me down a bit.
Not surprised they lost Harty but it's an overpay for a hustle guy. A talented hustle guy, but still a hustle guy. Knicks developed him a lot and it cost them. I too am confused on Randle - we need his scoring, but I think it's worth exploring getting rid of him, but we really don't have a #2 scorer, he also is a ball stopper and we already have one of those, etc. etc

A lot of issues could be solved if we thought Mitch could stay healthy and be in good enough shape to play 30 minutes a night, both seem like long shots.

About that...

I think Hartenstein is very replaceable, but he does have to be replaced. Of course if you can just get a healthy season out of Mitchell Robinson, that's probably enough out of the starting C, but it's been what, once in four years that he's been healthy?

I think Hartenstein is super underrated, he's a good/great defensive player and a really good passer.

If I could get 65 games and a healthy playoff run out of Mitch I would be less concerned, but yeah, he's been hurt a lot lately and multiple lower body injuries for a big man is just really scary

If OKC didn't crush the offseason it would have been very disappointing for them. With cap space, a bunch of picks, a bunch of teams in cap space hell... + a 2/3 year window before they get the financial burden under the new rules, this was the summer they had to get something done.

If they had to overpay $ wise on a short contract, or overpay with a first it should not stop them based on who they targeted. Whether it was an elite 4th starter, or elite supporting pieces, they had to do something significant... this was their windown.

They did what they had to do in getting Caruso + Hartenstein. And they should continue being aggressive the rest of this summer and the next 2 years, using those picks as currency to full whatever holes they have.

And moving forward they still have a bunch of picks + "Fittable" contracts in bigger deals if they go that way (Wiggins, Joe, Dort even Hartenstein), or to flip underperforming contracts by adding picks. They will be able to make moves to continually improve over the next 2 years which is a bit scary for other teams.

Last edited:
Not surprised they lost Harty but it's an overpay for a hustle guy. A talented hustle guy, but still a hustle guy. Knicks developed him a lot and it cost them. I too am confused on Randle - we need his scoring, but I think it's worth exploring getting rid of him, but we really don't have a #2 scorer, he also is a ball stopper and we already have one of those, etc. etc

A lot of issues could be solved if we thought Mitch could stay healthy and be in good enough shape to play 30 minutes a night, both seem like long shots.

It was an overpay for the Knicks given their situation (I'm pretty sure they would have had to make other roster moves to fit in the contract) - but it was not an overpay for OKC.

They had the money and flexbility to overpay for the guys they targeted. If they held off moves and missed out on targets because of contract "Value", it would have been a big loss for Presti.

Last edited:
It was an overpay for the Knicks given their situation (I'm pretty sure they would have had to make other roster moves to fit in the contract) - but it was not an overpay for OKC.

They had the money and flexbility to overpay for the guys they targeted. If they held off moves and missed out on targets because of contract "Value", it would have been a big loss for Presti.

Yeah the point is not to win the best wins per dollar analysis or whatever, the point is to win a title. OKC had money/draft picks kinda burning a hole in their pocket and they got 2 of the better players to switch teams this offseason.

Cutting this from a post on the Raptors RealGM board - I agree with the splits. There is going to be some crappy teams getting into the play in, in the East. I'd have to wager on the Raptors and Bulls , as they are the bad teams on the list most trying to win despite not being any good.

The way the teams in the east are constructed, there are currently 8 teams who are very likely to make the playoffs/play-in:

BOS
PHI
NYK
MIL
CLE
IND
MIA
ORL

Two of these teams will make the play-in:

ATL
TOR
CHI