2023-24 NBA Season | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

Have the Bucks in their entire history ever landed a big time free agent like this? It has to feel great for their fans who probably all figured Giannis would end up bolting for a warm weather super team a few years ago.
I think they acquired Oscar Robertson in a trade back in the Kareem era but that’s probably the only thing even close to this level of acquisition. Next closest might be Jrue himself off the top of my head lol.

He also quickly turned into a prehistoric exhibit in a new NBA, but they landed Greg Monroe in free agency when he was considered the big name on the market.

I'm sure I am in the minority, but I am a bit skeptical on this trade for all parties. The Bucks depth took a major hit. Phoenix added some pieces, but I think their defense is going to be terrible. They'll outscore a lot of teams, but I am not sure how that plays long term.
I understand the reason for some skepticism just in terms of the defensive downgrade and how Lillard may age (though Jrue is maybe slightly older?) but depth? The only depth piece they lost in this was Grayson Allen, who is a solid player but Milwaukee can definitely replace the shooting and likely replace whatever you thought of his defense.

Giannis is still going to leave. Bucks maximizing efforts to get another championship before he bolts. They couldn't score and Dame can.
I think he’ll leave someday, but Lillard is literally the only good player Giannis has ever wanted to play with (to a lesser extent, Bogdan Bogdanovic and his brothers lol). I think this almost certainly gets Giannis to re-sign long term and then we’ll see moving forwards again. The only way to get Giannis to stay for another 7+ years was to get him to first agree to stay for another 3+ years and this was probably the most significant move Milwaukee could make to ensure that first part.

I think they acquired Oscar Robertson in a trade back in the Kareem era but that’s probably the only thing even close to this level of acquisition.
Shouldn’t it be the other way around?

Shouldn’t it be the other way around?
He's right. I was thinking the Royals turned into the Bucks, but it was really the kings. Kareem's rookie year was 1969. They traded for Oscar the next season.

I think he’ll leave someday, but Lillard is literally the only good player Giannis has ever wanted to play with (to a lesser extent, Bogdan Bogdanovic and his brothers lol). I think this almost certainly gets Giannis to re-sign long term and then we’ll see moving forwards again. The only way to get Giannis to stay for another 7+ years was to get him to first agree to stay for another 3+ years and this was probably the most significant move Milwaukee could make to ensure that first part.

I dont think he has any (financial) reason to sign the extension before this season, but when he is eligible next year he probably signs it?

I'm sure they're gonna be really good this year, Lillard hasnt shown any signs of slowing down (obviously eventually he will) but as long as they're really good next year and Lillard looks like Lillard, Giannis probably locks in the extension knowing he can always ask for a trade.

What I mean is, this Lillard trade is the only thing close to acquiring Robertson, not the other way around.

Big O > Dame
Yeah Big O is obviously > Lillard. Was just saying I don’t think any other move is remotely close to either of them.

Also: man I cant believe the Warriors took Wiseman at #2. I know Edwards was already gone, but Lamelo Ball is pretty good.
Insane.

LaMelo and Curry would be so much fun to watch.

Ayton over Luka too. Teams still draft like idiots even though they know tall guys that can’t defend like maniacs havent mattered in 15 years.

The story behind the story...
Most we had heard in pieces but this lays it all out. Joe Cronin sounds like a crony.

Sounds like a PR piece for Dame. I'm on the Blazers side here.

That was obviously coming directly from Dame and his agent.

I'm sure a lot of it is true. But I'm also sure the Blazers have a different interpretation of some of the events.
Dame is without question a Blazer legend, but if a guy with 4 years left on his deal was trying to completely handicap the odds of any other team making a serious bid for him I wouldn't like that either.

That was obviously coming directly from Dame and his agent.

I'm sure a lot of it is true. But I'm also sure the Blazers have a different interpretation of some of the events.
Dame is without question a Blazer legend, but if a guy with 4 years left on his deal was trying to completely handicap the odds of any other team making a serious bid for him I wouldn't like that either.

I really rock with Dame and always have….but part of the reason for that was he had made comments about how he didn’t care about “ringzzzz culture” and was willing to just hoop his ass off for his team and whatever happens, happens. If he doesn’t win it all, then so be it. He did what he could for HIS team.

If he changed his mind on that and decided after 10+ years he sees it differently, fair enough. But if you just signed a monster deal to lock in that money, you gotta accept giving up power on where you go. If you wanted that power, sacrificed that money and stability and don’t sign. You can sign where you want?

If Portland changed their mind on being ok with paying a guy that money on a non contender, fair enough. It’s a business, and if they’d rather get something for their superstar while they can and start over and try again……they ain’t exactly the Lakers or Celtics, or the NY or Miami(!) or Chicago or whatever market, so you do what you gotta go.

I was always fully willing to go all in on Dame in Portland. I loved that they were a perennial playoff team and even made a WCF, and I loved that he was just carrying that franchise as far as he could….I was all in forever on that deal, with no criticisms. I hope that stupid idiot meme “ringzzzzz” fans had nothing to do with this.

Woj put out the Blazers response to the Chris Haynes Dame story today

Woj Bomb...
C's get their guy.. of course.

The Heat were basically like “take our crap offer or else!” And the Blazers basically responded with “bet”.

Dame to the Bucks. Jrue go the Cs.

Heat are on the outside looking in.

Maybe the Lakers can take Brogdon off Portland’s hands?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom