2023-24 NBA Season | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

11-31 shooting night. He did a lot of other things well, like 10 assists, but man his shooting was just so bad. Needs to understand. And I’m still not sure if his layup was goaltending or not.
Also his handle is weak. Saw him get the ball stripped way to often.

There was one view where I thought it was and there was another (the overhead) where I think it got the backboard first.

That situation is one where the "indisputable evidence" deal kinda sucks. The only way you can review a potential goaltending is to call it goaltending on the floor, so it's biased in the favor of leaving the call as it is. But I also think the refs know they can call it a goaltend if its really close and you get the review triggered it leaves you in a spot where you're more likely to call a questionable goaltend a goaltend and then have the call stand when you can't tell for sure either way
My biggest pet peeve with replay standards in pro sports. Especially in the NFL, I think referees too often are reluctant to call what they think they see on the field, knowing that they have replay to fall back on. The issue is, by NOT calling what they believe they see, they've established a presumption that their call is correct, which presumption is difficult to overcome. Then you have the nonsense of getting a certain number of challenges ...if I challenge a call on the field/court, and my challenge is correct, why should that be held against me/my team?

My biggest pet peeve with replay standards in pro sports. Especially in the NFL, I think referees too often are reluctant to call what they think they see on the field, knowing that they have replay to fall back on. The issue is, by NOT calling what they believe they see, they've established a presumption that their call is correct, which presumption is difficult to overcome. Then you have the nonsense of getting a certain number of challenges ...if I challenge a call on the field/court, and my challenge is correct, why should that be held against me/my team?
Not sure if this is a hot take or not, but I think the introduction of replay reviews/coach challenges has done more harm to sports than good. I think with very few exceptions (tennis comes to mind), sports would be much better if they just got rid of challenges and pretended they never existed.

Not sure if this is a hot take or not, but I think the introduction of replay reviews/coach challenges has done more harm to sports than good. I think with very few exceptions (tennis comes to mind), sports would be much better if they just got rid of challenges and pretended they never existed.
Hawk-Eye system is eliminating challenges to line calls in tennis.

I think the chances are good that the Pistons losing streak ends tomorrow night against the Raptors.
This current Raptors team repulses me.

Are the Pistons one year late in tanking, or just that bad?

The Pistons haven't outright "tanked" for the last few years. They are just a bad team, that tries to win but can't.

Last edited:
Trading Quickley is dumb. He should have been playing more. I hate Thibs.

Knicks trade Barrett, Quigley, and draft considerations for OG Antonby. Resident Raptor fan how good is this dude?

Trading Quickley is dumb. He should have been playing more. I hate Thibs.

The Knicks are and always will be a joke of a franchise. Might be one of the worst trades in Knicks history, and that’s saying a lot with all of the awful ones there have been. Unreal.

Knicks could’ve traded Obi, RJ and Quickley plus a couple firsts for Donovan Mitchell last off-season. Instead, we managed to turn those three guys into OG Anunoby. So sick of Leon Rose and every other front office clown Dolan has employed in his ownership tenure.

Knicks trade Barrett, Quigley, and draft considerations for OG Antonby. Resident Raptor fan how good is this dude?
Anunoby is a good player but he’s been pegged as a guy ready to make the leap for like 4 years now and just hasn’t done it. Really good fit with Thibs and the rest of the players though. Should be a solid upgrade.

Pretty lengthy injury history though.

Raptors were reportedly looking for 4+ first round picks and ended up getting 0.

Last edited:
The Knicks are and always will be a joke of a franchise. Might be one of the worst trades in Knicks history, and that’s saying a lot with all of the awful ones there have been. Unreal.

I think this is a pretty good trade for the Knicks. OG gives them a lot of what they need and RJ is pretty awful. I will miss IQ but I'm not sure what the future was with him and Brunson on the team.

I think this is a pretty good trade for the Knicks. OG gives them a lot of what they need and RJ is pretty awful. I will miss IQ but I'm not sure what the future was with him and Brunson on the team.

I don't love Barrett, but OG is not the answer to replace him. And they will probably have to pay OG more than they were paying Barrett this offseason. Awful trade. Again, we turned Obi, RJ and Quickly into OG. That's a joke, IMO.

I don't love Barrett, but OG is not the answer to replace him. And they will probably have to pay OG more than they were paying Barrett this offseason. Awful trade. Again, we turned Obi, RJ and Quickly into OG. That's a joke, IMO.

I think Barrett is bad and OG is one of the best defensive wings in the league and he can also shoot the 3. I think he's a really good player and RJ is a negative as a player. IQ is good, but I dont think hes better than OG.
Obi is coming off the bench for the Pacers now. I don't see him as much of a loss at all. Edit: I also forgot, they got Precious, who is a better fit for the team than Obi.

If you're focused on Mitchell, they can still get him now.

I think Barrett is bad and OG is one of the best defensive wings in the league and he can also shoot the 3. I think he's a really good player and RJ is a negative as a player. IQ is good, but I dont think hes better than OG.
Obi is coming off the bench for the Pacers now. I don't see him as much of a loss at all.

If you're focused on Mitchell, they can still get him now.

Obi was a better trade asset than what they got back for him. Obi aside, they just traded away a combined 33 points per game for a guy who averages 15. He's a good defender, but I highly doubt he's going to make up those 18 ppg on the defensive end. And their bench now? WOOF.

Obi was a better trade asset than what they got back for him. Obi aside, they just traded away a combined 33 points per game for a guy who averages 15. He's a good defender, but I highly doubt he's going to make up those 18 ppg on the defensive end. And their bench now? WOOF.
I’m not sure RJ giving you 18 points on poor efficiency is the loss you’re making it out to be. Knicks might be better just for having someone else take the shots RJ was missing.

The real issue in all this is Obi never should have been the draft pick in the first place and RJ unfortunately didn’t develop the way people thought he might.

I’m not sure RJ giving you 18 points on poor efficiency is the loss you’re making it out to be. Knicks might be better just for having someone else take the shots RJ was missing.

The real issue in all this is Obi never should have been the draft pick in the first place and RJ unfortunately didn’t develop the way people thought he might.

Again, I’m not overly concerned about losing Barrett. I’ve said his entire career that his ceiling on a good team was a third option, which is what he was on the Knicks. The potential is there, but he just can’t seem to put it together.

The problem I have is that you’ve traded him plus the (should have been) reigning 6th man of the year for a guy who also hasn’t realized his potential and who will likely opt out of his contract at the end of the year if he isn’t extended. He doesn’t make you much better this year and you’re gonna have to pay him at least as much as RJ was making in order to retain him, so it’s not like there is a cost saving either. So what is the long-term plan here?

Last edited:
Again, I’m not overly concerned about losing Barrett. I’ve said his entire career that his ceiling on a good team was a third option, which is what he was on the Knicks. The potential is there, but he just can’t seem to put it together.

The problem I have is that you’ve traded him plus the (should have been) reigning 6th man of the year for a guy who also hasn’t realized his potential and who will likely opt out of his contract at the end of the year if he isn’t extended. He doesn’t make you much better this year and you’re gonna have to pay him at least as much as RJ was making in order to retain him, so it’s not like there is a cost saving either. So what is the long-term plan here?
OG is a good player. RJ is a bad one. It’s a significant upgrade and sets the Knicks up well for if they can acquire another all star scorer (which they have the pieces to do). OG is an upgrade just in terms of talent but is also a far better fit for the Knicks than RJ and IQ were. And if the Knicks get the all star they’ve been saving up for, OG becomes an even better fit.

The biggest fear IMO is there’s a chance that the Knicks just didn’t evaluate IQ correctly and he ends up blowing up with a larger role similar to what the Mavs missed out on letting Brunson leave.

OG is a good player. RJ is a bad one. It’s a significant upgrade and sets the Knicks up well for if they can acquire another all star scorer (which they have the pieces to do). OG is an upgrade just in terms of talent but is also a far better fit for the Knicks than RJ and IQ were. And if the Knicks get the all star they’ve been saving up for, OG becomes an even better fit.

The biggest fear IMO is there’s a chance that the Knicks just didn’t evaluate IQ correctly and he ends up blowing up with a larger role similar to what the Mavs missed out on letting Brunson leave.

If it was OG for RJ more or less straight up, I’d be ok with it. I understand moving on from IQ because he’s gonna want a starter role with starter money next year, but I just think the return for both is totally underwhelming. And I think we’re kidding ourselves if we think the Knicks are gonna sign any tier 1 free agents next year. It’ll be the same story as always - dreams of free agency grandeur that turn into overpaying second tier guys and signing journeymen to 2 year contracts with a team option for the second year. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I think the chances are good that the Pistons losing streak ends tomorrow night against the Raptors.
This current Raptors team repulses me.

We did it! Amazing, we lost to the freaking Pistons.
Hope you put some bets down last night or this morning before the OG trade.

I'll address the OG to Knicks trade later tonight or tomorrow. I'll just say for the most part Raptors fans like the trade and we have recently hated most of the recent trades we did. I think we are just tired of this team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom