2023-24 NBA Season | Page 98 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

The Kyrie trade really paid off for Dallas. He has behaved and performed. Even if (and that is just an if), he goes crazy again, one trip to the finals is enough to justify this trade. I felt at the time of the deal the risk/reward for the deal was worth it given the assets given up below were fairly minimal.

Traded by the Brooklyn Nets with Markieff Morris to the Dallas Mavericks for Spencer Dinwiddie, Dorian Finney-Smith, a 2027 2nd round draft pick, a 2029 1st round draft pick and a 2029 2nd round draft pick.

My post from last year at the time the deal was done.

"Someone had mentioned earlier this was a high risk / low reward trade. I don't fully agree with that assessment.

This potentially is a high reward move. Kyrie is a lunatic, but he is also still one of the great players in the league in the odd times his head is not squarely up his ass. Its possible you can get good Kyrie for a run or two, and that could pay off.

Is it high risk? Yes, but not because of the trade assets they gave in my view.
The draft pick is in 2029 - Dinwiddie and DFS are nice players but that package is not going to set the franchise way back.

The risk is Kyrie is a lunatic right away, or that he behaves this year and then you are forced into giving him a long term contract which is scary.

Kyrie could certainly irk Luka at any time. But I think the team as it stood with no Kyrie, probably was irking Luka as well.

I think it was worth the risk for Dallas for this year - but as I said, the scariest part is if Kyrie behaves this year then you have to extend him.

The Conference Finals have been "blowouts" in terms of games won, but almost every game has been very tight in both series -- which is a tad abnormal in the age of the 3 ball where you can get wild swings in some games.

Unfortunately the two former Raptors I was cheering to do well in the playoffs, succumbed to their biggest weakness.

Pascal Siakam played very well in the playoffs, but his biggest issue has always been the final minutes of a close game. He will deliver sometimes, but overall its a period he can slump in, or shy away from the ball at times. And that happened in the Boston series.

Unfortunately for OG Anunoby, lingering minor injuries did him in. His weakness is being injury prine, Sucks because he is one hell of a defender that seems prime for the playoffs He is always injured and seemingly his return is always bit longer than expected. Many people think he just isn't comfortable playing with much pain - whether that is true or not, who knows. He is a tough player when healthy, but as I said injuries often do him in.

Unfortunately the two former Raptors I was cheering to do well in the playoffs, succumbed to their biggest weakness.

Pascal Siakam played very well in the playoffs, but his biggest issue has always been the final minutes of a close game. He will deliver sometimes, but overall its a period he can slump in, or shy away from the ball at times. And that happened in the Boston series.

Unfortunately for OG Anunoby, lingering minor injuries did him in. His weakness is being injury prine, Sucks because he is one hell of a defender that seems prime for the playoffs He is always injured and seemingly his return is always bit longer than expected. Many people think he just isn't comfortable playing with much pain - whether that is true or not, who knows. He is a tough player when healthy, but as I said injuries often do him in.

I had heard this about OG as well, and it certainly seemed like he took a while to come back from his elbow injury. However, in Game 7 he clearly came back way way way too early from the hamstring. I dont think I can remember seeing a player so clearly unable to play try and give it a go.

I had heard this about OG as well, and it certainly seemed like he took a while to come back from his elbow injury. However, in Game 7 he clearly came back way way way too early from the hamstring. I dont think I can remember seeing a player so clearly unable to play try and give it a go.

The Knicks really are between a rock and a hard place on what to do with OG this offseason (since it seems a given that he will be opting out). He's a major impact player, but a guy can only have an impact when he's healthy, and he seems to have a track record of not being available. He's only played more than 50 games in a season once in the last 4 seasons. So how much money do you offer a guy like that?

The Knicks really are between a rock and a hard place on what to do with OG this offseason (since it seems a given that he will be opting out). He's a major impact player, but a guy can only have an impact when he's healthy, and he seems to have a track record of not being available. He's only played more than 50 games in a season once in the last 4 seasons. So how much money do you offer a guy like that?
I mean, if you're the Knicks the answer has to be enough to keep him I'd think.

I mean, if you're the Knicks the answer has to be enough to keep him I'd think.

I think something like 4 years, $140M would be an agreeable contract for the Knicks. If you start getting up to a max-level 5 year, $250M deal, is that a wise investment for the Knicks?

I think something like 4 years, $140M would be an agreeable contract for the Knicks. If you start getting up to a max-level 5 year, $250M deal, is that a wise investment for the Knicks?
Eh, wise is relative in the NBA.

I think it will be much closer to 4/140 than 5/250

Also important to remember the cap will start spiking 10% a year starting next year, and the max raise OG can get in any year is 8%, so you have come cushion there. 4/190 is the max anyone else can offer him, I would be pretty surprised if he got that much. I think like 4/160 or so is good

To me, the Harrisburg Houdini, Rochester Royals guard & HOFer Bob Davies, is the GOAT, but I think former SI & current Athletic writer Richard Deitsch makes a good point. Others, including shoe salesman extraordinaire Michael Jordan, have suggested MJ lucked out coming along before social media.

Luka's first quarter last night was as dominant and as tone setting as any quarter I have seen in the NBA in quite a while.

It was as if he entered the game saying "I am going to remind you that I'm me and you aren't". Truly amazing.

Luka's first quarter last night was as dominant and as tone setting as any quarter I have seen in the NBA in quite a while.

It was as if he entered the game saying "I am going to remind you that I'm me and you aren't". Truly amazing.

He's, at worst, the second best player in the world right now.

Boston has a better team, but if the Mavs win the series, he gets the title of best player. He might get it anyway.

Dude is a straight beast.

Boston has a better team, but if the Mavs win the series, he gets the title of best player. He might get it anyway.

You think Minnesota runs it back - I think with Ant going to 40 million next year they are over the cap with just 6 guys. Kat or Gobert getting moved?

I'd be doubly impressed that he won as a fat guy.

I've been thinking he needs some heart break and then he'd get serious about his fitness, but maybe he can win a chip as a husky man.

You think Minnesota runs it back - I think with Ant going to 40 million next year they are over the cap with just 6 guys. Kat or Gobert getting moved?
I think they look to trade Kat if they can get the right deal. Gobert won't have a big market if any

I'd trade KAT. Gobert still puts up huge numbers on advanced stats. But Naz Reid makes KAT expendable, imo.

They are also relying a lot on Conley for ball handling and he isn't getting any younger.

I'd be doubly impressed that he won as a fat guy.

I've been thinking he needs some heart break and then he'd get serious about his fitness, but maybe he can win a chip as a husky man.

I can't stand Boston anything. Mavs need to win this for America and the world.

Also, I know the Boston fans will be giving it to Kyrie, but Luka is going to be barking at those Boston fans like they've never seen.

Also, I know the Boston fans will be giving it to Kyrie, but Luka is going to be barking at those Boston fans like they've never seen.
Ummmm, no.

Scalabrine this morning on NBA Radio was imploring Celtic fans and players to say nothing to Luka that might set him off.

I made the case earlier that Boston needs to win it for America because their stars are American, whereas Luka is Euro and Kyrie is whatever the Hell he is.

I made the case earlier that Boston needs to win it for America because their stars are American, whereas Luka is Euro and Kyrie is whatever the Hell he is.
Alien

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom