2023-24 Portal Options | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Victoria Beckham GIF

Chance Westry was not as good as Taylor or Copeland last year in the limited playing time they all had. I think we need to be real careful getting excited about someone who's a former high 4 star or 5 star recruit just because they were ranked higher than guys on our roster. Once guys are in college they should be judged how they played in college IMO, not what their HS ranking was.

Last edited:
Chance Westry was not as good as Taylor or Copeland last year in the limited playing time they all had. I think we need to be real careful getting excited about someone who's a former high 4 star or 5 star recruit just because they were ranked higher than guys on our roster. Once guys are in college they should be judged how they played in college IMO, not what their HS ranking was.
I agree with this line of thinking in general but they all played so sparingly that I don't think it's really wise to draw much conclusions from their production right now, especially knowing that Westry was playing through injury. It's not like Taylor or especially Copeland exactly lit the world on fire either. I do like what both of them showed last year though but we're seemingly recruiting over them for a reason.

Last edited:
I agree with this line of thinking in general but they all played so sparingly that I don't think it's really wise to draw much conclusions from their production right now, especially knowing that Westry was playing through injury. It's not like Taylor or especially Copeland exactly lit the world on fire either.

Good counter points. Would just add that both Taylor and Copeland are physically strong guys too to go with chemistry and experience in big moments etc. Always a bit weary of bringing in a guy coming in with a knee issue too.

Hope he can be a 15-20 minute guy who comes in gets deflections and hustle plays. Still has a long way to go on offense.
I would like to see him be more selfish on offense, tbh.

He showed he could get to the basket, but his instinct is to dish. Which is an incredible instinct. But sometimes he gave up easy shots for tricky passes.

I would like to see him be more selfish on offense, tbh.

He showed he could get to the basket, but his instinct is to dish. Which is an incredible instinct. But sometimes he gave up easy shots for tricky passes.

Good point. Whe he gets in the lane he has a knack for finishing. Needs to be 50/50 ( at least) shot/pass in those situations.

Good point. Whe he gets in the lane he has a knack for finishing. Needs to be 50/50 ( at least) shot/pass in those situations.
Are we sure about this? He certainly has the physical tools to be a good finisher at the rim, but he wasn't in high school and wasn't this past season either, largely due to making his shots more difficult than they need to be. Hopefully as he matures he'll figure out how to use his body a bit better.

Are we sure about this? He certainly has the physical tools to be a good finisher at the rim, but he wasn't in high school and wasn't this past season either, largely due to making his shots more difficult than they need to be. Hopefully as he matures he'll figure out how to use his body a bit better.

So it was a limited sample size which I'm sure is baked into your response but in that late stretch he showed growth in using his size to get around the defender to finish off the glass without needing more than a dribble. Call it being OK with making an effective albeit boring/simple play.

With a player like Quadir it's all about feel and making the right play at the right moment. He has plenty of Rucker park finishes in his game that are fun but lower pct and often a net negativd. It's those where he uses the advantages he has in his skillset to make the simple play that's been missing ( both ends). To me, it looked like he was showing that improvement end of year that is the practice play starting to translate.