2023-24 Portal Options | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

We have two of the fastest, quickest and most exciting guards in college. We could use one more shooter but Bell and Taylor and Benny can all do that. Judah showed improvement, JJ can shoot. I know we don't have a 38 to 40 pct guy but we should be ok in that area. I think we want Westry at this point. If Judah stays and Jesse stays how many ACC teams would be better.
If you're going to call them out you might as well not say we don't have them two sentences later.

1680813636771.png

In the history of the portal has any player transferred back to their original school?
Yep. Jason Carter, basketball Ohio to Xavier to Ohio, football Ben Bryant Cincinnati to Eastern Michigan to Cincinnati. Each started when they returned to their original school.

Yep. Jason Carter, basketball Ohio to Xavier to Ohio, football Ben Bryant Cincinnati to Eastern Michigan to Cincinnati. Each started when they returned to their original school.
Qudus Wahab went from G'Town to Maryland back to G'Town. I believe he just entered the portal again as a 5th year senior. Wouldn't it be something if he went to Maryland for 2nd time.

If you're going to call them out you might as well not say we don't have them two sentences later.

View attachment 226769
JT and Bell are extremely good 3-point shooters. Some people deny it, but it's true IMO. The problem with Taylor and Bell is whether they can defend and do things other than shoot. JT will be a really helpful guy to have off the bench at SG.

Judah will be an average 3-point shooter for a guard or better than average. JJ probably average for a guard too. Benny probably average from 3 next year too.

We'll be able to shoot 3s with the guys we have. It won't be our best strength, but these guys can do it.

Still, we're in need of a do-it-all forward who can shoot 3s. I like Bell way more than most on this board, and I think he'll thrive in the coming system, but if Bell and Taylor came off the bench to hunt 3s, we'd be looking mighty fine.

JT and Bell are extremely good 3-point shooters. Some people deny it, but it's true IMO. The problem with Taylor and Bell is whether they can defend and do things other than shoot. JT will be a really helpful guy to have off the bench at SG.

Judah will be an average 3-point shooter for a guard or better than average. JJ probably average for a guard too. Benny probably average from 3 next year too.

We'll be able to shoot 3s with the guys we have. It won't be our best strength, but these guys can do it.

Still, we're in need of a do-it-all forward who can shoot 3s. I like Bell way more than most on this board, and I think he'll thrive in the coming system, but if Bell and Taylor came off the bench to hunt 3s, we'd be looking mighty fine.
I've been pretty impressed with Bell's chase down blocks. It shows his athleticism and drive. I think the main issue on the boards is he doesn't box out well. Maybe he gets lost in space with the zone?

I've been pretty impressed with Bell's chase down blocks. It shows his athleticism and drive. I think the main issue on the boards is he doesn't box out well. Maybe he gets lost in space with the zone?
How many did he have? I only remember one.

He's definitely athletic and his chase-down blocks are awesome. He loves those too, you can tell how much he wants it.

Maybe Bell will rebound better in m2m where he can actually box out, as compared to playing the zone where he doesn't box out and gets lost in his space. He'll never be a great rebounder, but maybe he'll be better boxing out in m2m - he has the length and athleticism.

I like Bell and think he could be pretty good.

So I predicted last season that the portal would slow, and, uh... maybe it will in future seasons but it doesn't appear to be slowing.

Pretty nuts.
Look at all the suitors that JG3 has. More suitors = more cash for Joe. The top half or maybe 2/3rds of the portal will be happy but of course the bottom might not be. But, with 1300+, no reason for any team not to be able to improve.

View attachment 226769
I would assume he’s taking “volume” into account.

Benny is a 40% 3 point shooter the same way CJ Fair was a 40% 3 point shooter, at this point.

If he’s gotta take 6-7 of them a game and is guarded like he’s a shooter, he probably doesn’t make 30% from out there.

On limited attempts when he’s wide open, he can make them. At this point at least.

Bell is the only one so far who looks like a guy who can shoot a lot of them and still have a solid %. I think Taylor can get there too.

He's definitely athletic and his chase-down blocks are awesome. He loves those too, you can tell how much he wants it.

Maybe Bell will rebound better in m2m where he can actually box out, as compared to playing the zone where he doesn't box out and gets lost in his space. He'll never be a great rebounder, but maybe he'll be better boxing out in m2m - he has the length and athleticism.

I like Bell and think he could be pretty good.
You can teach a player to be in good rebonding position and to block out, and it helps alot. But you can't really teach someone to be a "good rebounder." A good rebounder has a feel for where the ball will bounce and gives the ultimate effort to be there every time and to jump as high as possible, not just as high as they think they need to, every time. That said, just being in position leads to a lot of rebounds. I think both Bell and Taylor can and will be solid parts of an 8-9 man rotation. As soon as they leave we will be looking for someone with their skillsets.

So I predicted last season that the portal would slow, and, uh... maybe it will in future seasons but it doesn't appear to be slowing.

Pretty nuts.

I think it's going to get more prolific as more 2nd and 3rd round draft queue players realize they can stay another year or 3 and make more money than in G-league or Europe.