2023-24 Portal Options | Page 107 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

When you play D1 ball, you are automatically on a one-year contract and then you are a free agent. It's like the NCAA version of the NBA rookie contract without the restricted free agency at the end and ability to pay the most. You can then roll that one year contract over three more times, at most, to keep that leverage. This is like an ongoing player option that is always present.

Then, the next contract you are under whether you re-sign with the same team or another one is a 1, 2, or 3 year contract depending on how quickly you can graduate. Again, no benefit to being the incumbent with top pay like in the NBA.

Then, you have your final one year contract as a grad player.

Obviously, there are extenuating circumstances or other considerations that can change things, but thats where we're at.

Any freshman we sign is on a year deal with UFA at the end, period until he activates his player option.

Do not consider anyone a lock for year 2. HS recruits are now one year players with a player option at the end of the year.

Without an actual salary cap and the way incumbent teams have leverage with top pay, it's a full on free for all.

When you play D1 ball, you are automatically on a one-year contract and then you are a free agent. It's like the NCAA version of the NBA rookie contract without the restricted free agency at the end and ability to pay the most. You can then roll that one year contract over three more times, at most, to keep that leverage. This is like an ongoing player option that is always present.

Then, the next contract you are under whether you re-sign with the same team or another one is a 1, 2, or 3 year contract depending on how quickly you can graduate. Again, no benefit to being the incumbent with top pay like in the NBA.

Then, you have your final one year contract as a grad player.

Obviously, there are extenuating circumstances or other considerations that can change things, but thats where we're at.

Any freshman we sign is on a year deal with UFA at the end, period until he activates his player option.

Do not consider anyone a lock for year 2. HS recruits are now one year players with a player option at the end of the year.

Without an actual salary cap and the way incumbent teams have leverage with top pay, it's a full on free for all.

Adding in that given there is no official connection between NIL and the school you attend, a better NIL deal is on the record as not offered by another school even though it really is. Thus no way for a school to have a compliant policy protecting that proxy investment in the player not to mention that the ROI is going mostly to the school not the source of the funds.

Adding in that given there is no official connection between NIL and the school you attend, a better NIL deal is on the record as not offered by another school even though it really is. Thus no way for a school to have a complaint policy protecting that proxy investment in the player not to mention that the ROI is going mostly to the school not the source of the funds.

100%

Just going to add I think it's pathetic that the NCAA doesn't offer a revenue sharing model for all participating athletes in the NCAA tournament. Why not get a pct of the TV money for every game you play in that goes to every athlete? It's so backwards. Sure they get some swag.. but part of this whole freaking issue is them not sharing the revenue earned because of those athletes. Rant over

Just going to add I think it's pathetic that the NCAA doesn't offer a revenue sharing model for all participating athletes in the NCAA tournament. Why not get a pct of the TV money for every game you play in that goes to every athlete? It's so backwards. Sure they get some swag.. but part of this whole freaking issue is them not sharing the revenue earned because of those athletes. Rant over
Let us never forget that the NCAA had basically unlimited opportunities to proactively develop solutions and instead opted for... whatever this is the NCAA has going on now.

MTE's should be giving NIL money from their sponsors to kids, too. There are creative ways to skirt "pay for play" to pay players based on how their team performs.

MTE's should be giving NIL money from their sponsors to kids, too. There are creative ways to skirt "pay for play" to pay players based on how their team performs.
I think MTEs already started doing NIL deals to promote the event with kids who are participating.

7 footer, averaged a double double, and was WAC DPOY. 2 years of eligibility.

If SU is closer to his friends and family this would be great. Not sure on that part and seems that is the key for him.

The centers like Bandango are still popping up with some looking like improvements over what we have now. I don't doubt our recruiting pitch from the coaches and what we offer as far as ACC exposure and the Dome environment matches up well with most of our competitors. But I fear that NIL might not be on a par and that could be problem if a kid is looking to maximize his $$.

The centers like Bandango are still popping up with some looking like improvements over what we have now. I don't doubt our recruiting pitch from the coaches and what we offer as far as ACC exposure and the Dome environment matches up well with most of our competitors. But I fear that NIL might not be on a par and that could be problem if a kid is looking to maximize his $$.

We aren't NIL poor and not everyone of these kids is going to get a monster amount. Not to mention not every single major program is hunting the portal with an open starting 5 spot.

If the run-off waiver is indeed not being granted by the NCAA anymore, these 2-prior-transfer guys that are portaling a 3rd time are screwed, no?? (if they can't go back to the school they planned to leave??)

If the run-off waiver is indeed not being granted by the NCAA anymore, these 2-prior-transfer guys that are portaling a 3rd time are screwed, no??
I believe that their original school can take them back if they want them.

I believe that their original school can take them back if they want them.

some big ifs... and likely no, if they've already been replaced with another portal transfer.

Anyways, seems like some high stakes roulette...

If SU is closer to his friends and family this would be great. Not sure on that part and seems that is the key for him.
Looks like his HS is listed as NBA Academy (Africa). He is from Senegal. Same country as BMK.

Originally attended Akron?

Guessing for him, location is not very important. I bet a phone call from Baye would help a lot.