2023 NFL Thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NFL Thread

Went to the game last night - been to at least a half dozen games at MetLife (NYG and NYJ) and that was BY FAR the loudest I've ever heard that venue. Electric.

Btw the MNF game last night had 22.4 million viewers, up 14% from last year's first MNF game. Remember when folks were predicting the NBA would soon surpass the NFL? Average viewership for an NBA playoff game last season was 5.7 million. Approx. 6 million viewers watched the NFL Hall of Fame game in July between Cleveland and the Jets. The NFL will be king for a long time to come.

When I checked earlier today it was 9.5. Given the NYJ defense that seems insanely high.

Given the Dallas D and that NYJ OL and Zach Wilson... I'm not so sure it is.

Went to the game last night - been to at least a half dozen games at MetLife (NYG and NYJ) and that was BY FAR the loudest I've ever heard that venue. Electric.

Btw the MNF game last night had 22.4 million viewers, up 14% from last year's first MNF game. Remember when folks were predicting the NBA would soon surpass the NFL? Average viewership for an NBA playoff game last season was 5.7 million. Approx. 6 million viewers watched the NFL Hall of Fame game in July between Cleveland and the Jets. The NFL will be king for a long time to come.

Rodgers debut and the Jets being on Hard Knocks surely had something to do that.

And no….I don’t remember predictions of NBA viewership passing the NFL.

Lots of drunken meatheads who don’t even really like sports that act like they’re actually on the NFL team they root for out there, for sure. And the games are only once a week. It’s easy to follow and be fan.

Given the Dallas D and that NYJ OL and Zach Wilson... I'm not so sure it is.
Already dropped to 8.5. 9.5 points for a team that most consider to be the best defensive team in the NFL is a lot of points.

Already dropped to 8.5. 9.5 points for a team that most consider to be the best defensive team in the NFL is a lot of points.

Going against very possibly the team that will be right next to them or ahead as best defense in the NFL vs a turnover prone QB. I'm hedging some given its game 1 but what the Dallas D did to NY was quite impressive to say the least. It was still high but insanely high- no. Plus the Dallas offense was a top 3 offense in the league last year and has added more weapons.

Rodgers debut and the Jets being on Hard Knocks surely had something to do that.

And no….I don’t remember predictions of NBA viewership passing the NFL.

Lots of drunken meatheads who don’t even really like sports that act like they’re actually on the NFL team they root for out there, for sure. And the games are only once a week. It’s easy to follow and be fan.
I read several of those articles predicting the NBA would surpass the NFL in popularity. Too bad you missed them, they were hilarious.

Gambling, fantasy, pretty much every game counts as opposed to the bataan death march of a schedule that is the NBA, no load management, no super teams. No comparison. That game last night would have done at least 18-20 million no matter who was playing.

Going against very possibly the team that will be right next to them or ahead as best defense in the NFL vs a turnover prone QB. I'm hedging some given its game 1 but what the Dallas D did to NY was quite impressive to say the least. It was still high but insanely high- no. Plus the Dallas offense was a top 3 offense in the league last year and has added more weapons.
9.5 would be the highest spread this week. Lot of points for a great defensive team, just sayin'.

I can tell you're mighty bulled up about your boys after one game. We'll see. Last time we say the G-men before Sunday they were getting stomped out 38-7 in the playoffs. Don't overreact to one game.

9.5 would be the highest spread this week. Lot of points for a great defensive team, just sayin'.

I can tell you're mighty bulled up about your boys after one game. We'll see. Last time we say the G-men before Sunday they were getting stomped out 38-7 in the playoffs. Don't overreact to one game.

Not over reacting. There is more talent and depth. Paid more attention to camp this year than last so this is not a reaction to one game more the first bit of live action evidence to confirm what was brewing during camp.

Some unexpected developments with undrafted guys is what has added to that as well. It's a week by week thing to keep proving themselves for sure. There is also no question the talent they have at each level though either. Still though my comments are far more to do with it being Wilson and a leaky OL vs a very good d. That screams turnovers and short fields. Not taking anything away from the Jets D either.. trust me I get it

Oh great here comes the annual week of people crying about the touchback rule.

Ran the ball down Minnys throat and looked solid to me. Philly defense has some work to do though more than the offense.
First quarter or so today was ugly and last week was underwhelming as a Pats fan. Definitely started to look better tonight, though. Which is nice because I'm pretty invested in over 11.5 wins and some SB future.

If they click with new OC/DC I think they are the clear best team.

First quarter or so today was ugly and last week was underwhelming as a Pats fan. Definitely started to look better tonight, though. Which is nice because I'm pretty invested in over 11.5 wins and some SB future.

If they click with new OC/DC I think they are the clear best team.

Phi, Dal and SF with Det as the dark horse is how I see NFC race. AFC is a jumbled mess - think Buff finally gets to SB even with their rough week 1.

Ran the ball down Minnys throat and looked solid to me. Philly defense has some work to do though more than the offense.
They were missing three starters in their secondary, and it showed. No Bradberry, Blankenship and, about a quarter into the game, Maddox. They're definitely a team that can use the mini-bye. Especially since it doesn't look like Reddick is all the way back from that thumb injury. Didn't hear his name called all night.

They were missing three starters in their secondary, and it showed. No Bradberry, Blankenship and, about a quarter into the game, Maddox. They're definitely a team that can use the mini-bye. Especially since it doesn't look like Reddick is all the way back from that thumb injury. Didn't hear his name called all night.

I don't think Philly is as good last year and the Cowboys have closed the gap on paper and a pretty adamant defensive statement even if the week 1 disclaimer applies. SF looks the same. Detroit is putting it together too and we will see what the Rams/other playoff possibilities can do too.

Eagles fans can also talk all they want but it's pretty clear there is no outright home run favorite in the NFC. A couple injuries and that can open things up even more. That's not a knock on Philly either btw. Losing multiple guys plus both coordinators naturally is going to have some impact no different than it would be a pipe dream as a Cowboys fan to think McCarthy is going to fix Dak lol.

Last edited:
Ya injury regression was bound to happen when they had none last year at least on defense.
Nice schedule again to start though. +850 last team undefeated before the season was a no-brainer now +310.

I don't think Philly is as good last year and the Cowboys have closed the gap on paper and a pretty adamant defensive statement even if the week 1 disclaimer applies. SF looks the same. Detroit is putting it together too and we will see what the Rams/other playoff possibilities can do too.

Eagles fans can also talk all they want but it's pretty clear there is no outright home run favorite in the NFC. A couple injuries and that can open things up even more. That's not a knock on Philly either btw. Losing multiple guys plus both coordinators naturally is going to have some impact no different than it would be a pipe dream as a Cowboys fan to think McCarthy is going to fix Dak lol.
Let's see the Cowboys play someone besides the Giants turnstiles, Jets with Wilson and the tanking Cards before we go on crowning them. ;)

The schedule heats up in October, but no reason Dallas shouldn't get out to a fast start.

Let's see the Cowboys play someone besides the Giants turnstiles, Jets with Wilson and the tanking Cards before we go on crowning them. ;)

The schedule heats up in October, but no reason Dallas shouldn't get out to a fast start.

Haha no crowning and was making sure to be clear on that. That said top to bottom roster wise it's a pretty fair assessment of how things look right now in terms of the top of the NFC. Just like not going to hold it against the Eagles almost blowing two decent leads in both their games. I expect them to be comfortably sitting at 4-0 going into LA.

Last edited:

I agree. At least so far. I flat-out hate the ST coordinator. They shoulda replaced him after the Super Bowl. The Birds almost had that first punt returned by the Vikes for a TD. Sure, it ended in a fumble, but that was no thanks to the scheme. If there WAS a scheme.

I think the offense will be fine. Johnson made some great adjustments after inexplicably having Hurts take off on all those called runs early. We'll see about Desai. I mean, why has Reddick been invisible the first two games? Injury? Or scheme? They're weaker at LB. Should be fine in the secondary, though, assuming none of the injuries are long-term. And nobody's running against that front four.

Right now, they should probably be 1-1. But they're not. So, that's something...

I agree. At least so far. I flat-out hate the ST coordinator. They shoulda replaced him after the Super Bowl. The Birds almost had that first punt returned by the Vikes for a TD. Sure, it ended in a fumble, but that was no thanks to the scheme. If there WAS a scheme.

I think the offense will be fine. Johnson made some great adjustments after inexplicably having Hurts take off on all those called runs early. We'll see about Desai. I mean, why has Reddick been invisible the first two games? Injury? Or scheme? They're weaker at LB. Should be fine in the secondary, though, assuming none of the injuries are long-term. And nobody's running against that front four.

Right now, they should probably be 1-1. But they're not. So, that's something...

The good news for those at the top is besides Detroit whose really going to be a problem? The Rams I guess could be but after that I don't see it. Love had a nice first outing for the Packers but they beat what looks like the same Bears team that hasn't gotten better. Seattle looks the same too.

Thus it should be a lot of winning and fun posturing till playoff time and we see what happens and who avoids getting tripped up like Philly almost did( to your point) to snag home field.

On your points around the Philly defense one thing still stood out and that's 6 takeaways in two games for yall. Sack numbers might come down a bit but that's also every QB speeding up their internal clock too.

Last edited:

Was anyone outside the insular and delusional NBA twitter world predicting that?

Was anyone outside the insular and delusional NBA twitter world predicting that?
Not sure but if you google "NBA will surpass the NFL in popularity" you get a couple dozen articles (many opinion pieces). Most of these articles were written 3-5 years ago. Not many current pieces cuz the gap has only grown that much larger over the last 2-3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom