2023 NY Mets thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Very Mets thing to happen with Diaz. I honestly can’t name most of the other closers on the contending teams though. The sky isn’t falling as most people seem to think. If other teams are succeeding with inferior closers, no reason why the Mets can’t too. Bullpen and hitters need to step up.

Very Mets thing to happen with Diaz. I honestly can’t name most of the other closers on the contending teams though. The sky isn’t falling as most people seem to think. If other teams are succeeding with inferior closers, no reason why the Mets can’t too. Bullpen and hitters need to step up.
One of the reasons the Mets succeeded was because they had a weapon that virtually no other team had. Now they don't. They still have one of the best teams that money can buy, but there's a reason why Cohen paid Diaz so much money. For this year at least, that's a sunk cost. I mean, David Robertson? As your closer? In 2023? Yikes!

One of the reasons the Mets succeeded was because they had a weapon that virtually no other team had. Now they don't. They still have one of the best teams that money can buy, but there's a reason why Cohen paid Diaz so much money. For this year at least, that's a sunk cost. I mean, David Robertson? As your closer? In 2023? Yikes!
Diaz being out doesnt cost the mets any money.. I wonder if they still have to count it towards luxury tax though?

Diaz being out doesnt cost the mets any money.. I wonder if they still have to count it towards luxury tax though?
What I meant was he's gonna be paid regardless, but it will not be in return for any production.

Not crazy about it but the Phillies made the World Series with him last year. You never know.
He wasn't their closer. As a Phillies' fan, seeing him enter a game did not fill me with confidence.

He wasn't their closer. As a Phillies' fan, seeing him enter a game did not fill me with confidence.
Mets need to stay afloat through the trade deadline. I trust Cohen will do what needs to be done to get a pretty good rental player, which I would have had zero confidence in when the Wilpons were in charge.

My favorite rite of spring used to be the opening weekend of the ncaa tournament, but over the last few years it’s become opening day. I can’t wait to see what the game looks like with a pitch clock and limits on the shift.

I’m looking forward to another fun Mets season, but I can’t help but think Cohen spent almost $400mm to become the 3rd best team in his own division. Three factors will make or break this season:
- They are still missing at least one power bat and one stud outfielder. If Vientos and Baty can’t break their way into the lineup by the all start break, it will be a very bad sign.
- Who will close and do they have enough arms to get to the closer? Last year the pen cost the team the NL east title… I don’t think this years pen is as good as last years.
- Can their pitching hold up? I think the starters are better than last year only because Jake was such a non-factor. But these dudes are OLD and I’m not convinced either Megill or Peterson are any better than the fifth starter and there is nothing in the farm.

I’m generally optimistic, but the Braves and Phils are more talented 1 through 9. I think Mets will win 90 games.

Verlander to the DL - “low-grade teres major strain.

He was uncharacteristically wild his last couple of starts and his velocity was down. This explains why.

Not great news again.

He was uncharacteristically wild his last couple of starts and his velocity was down. This explains why.

Not great news again.

Ugggh.. that's a lot of money sitting on the shelf doing nothing to start the year on top of Diaz for the whole year.

Nice to get some runs off Alcantara again.

Max looked good until he got tired.

Some timely hits.

Good start.

I like the quicker pace. The pitch clock works for me…..

The Mets are now 41-20 in opening games, (.672), the best opening day winning percentage of any MLB franchise. And, since they lost the first 8 opening day games, they are an incredible 41-13 since 1970, (.759!)

It's the rest of the season that is the problem. ;)

we could be throwing Degrom who got shelled and went 3+ again

What a shame. Looks like he clearly isn't right.. wonder if he does ever get all the way back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom