2023 NY Mets thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

The Mets are now 41-20 in opening games, (.672), the best opening day winning percentage of any MLB franchise. And, since they lost the first 8 opening day games, they are an incredible 41-13 since 1970, (.759!)

It's the rest of the season that is the problem. ;)

As I was saying...

Good game though. Some strong pitching and great defensive plays plus a couple of home runs.

Curious how long Escobar gets to start producing at the plate... Baty staying red hot..

Curious how long Escobar gets to start producing at the plate... Baty staying red hot..
Escobar was awful all last season except September. He was very good down the stretch.

But he was awful again in spring training and is looking awful so far in the regular season. Just lost at the plate.

Eppler continues to make bad decisions. It is hard to have any confidence in him.

Escobar was awful all last season except September. He was very good down the stretch.

But he was awful again in spring training and is looking awful so far in the regular season. Just lost at the plate.

Eppler continues to make bad decisions. It is hard to have any confidence in him.
To Eppler’s credit Bassett, Scherzer, Marte and Canha worked out well last year. And so far the bullpen arms this year look okay. But Escobar and Ruf seem like pretty piss poor deals. Baty is a tough decision because he hasn’t played much triple-a ball, didn’t do great last year and I don’t see a mlb caliber third base glove. I do think Vientos at dh is a no brainer, but I think Escobar gets a month or so.

To Eppler’s credit Bassett, Scherzer, Marte and Canha worked out well last year. And so far the bullpen arms this year look okay. But Escobar and Ruf seem like pretty piss poor deals. Baty is a tough decision because he hasn’t played much triple-a ball, didn’t do great last year and I don’t see a mlb caliber third base glove. I do think Vientos at dh is a no brainer, but I think Escobar gets a month or so.

Baty made a hell of a play at third yesterday I did see. Haven't seen him in action enough at 3B defensively though. Escobar hasn't been that impressive in the field yet either this year.

Quite a first inning for Senga. He started with a 2-0 lead.
Single
Double
Walk
Strike-out, (bat goes flying)
Strike-out
Line drive out on a great catch by Marte.

Quite a first inning for Senga. He started with a 2-0 lead.
Single
Double
Walk
Strike-out, (bat goes flying)
Strike-out
Line drive out on a great catch by Marte.

Hopefully he gets better quickly. Ugly first outing.

Edit- much better second inning at least.

He left in the 6th with a 4-1 lead and a big ovation.

Yep he got the ghost fork working and had the Marlins perplexed at the plate after that first inning.

Yep he got the ghost fork working and had the Marlins perplexed at the plate after that first inning.

6e5bd20e5272c1d9d2622a7daee1aeab.jpg

it doesnt help that Baty just made a dreadful play at 3rd for Syracuse today and so did Mauricio at short

For now hopefully starters and the pen can keep up with a nice start to the year. Hopefully Lindor gets going too.

For now hopefully starters and the pen can keep up with a nice start to the year. Hopefully Lindor gets going too.
It’s going to be the same problem as last year… very little power. Grinding out at bats is all well and good but they will get shut down by good pitchers and it puts a lot pressure on Mets pitchers to not make any mistakes because once the Mets are down it will be difficult to come back. The lineup is 4 batters short right now.

I think Pham will be an underrated pick up.

the big issue is playing a DH that has no power and hits only occasionally from both sides of the plate. If nothing else we get a little pop from the kids being the DH and the reality, is you already know you may not get any D from them to ever play at the big league level..

That's why you got Locastro. Small ball.

HBPs, SBs, strong defense

That's why you got Locastro. Small ball.

HBPs, SBs, strong defense
Yes. He has already contributed more than Ruf did last season.

It’s going to be the same problem as last year… very little power. Grinding out at bats is all well and good but they will get shut down by good pitchers and it puts a lot pressure on Mets pitchers to not make any mistakes because once the Mets are down it will be difficult to come back. The lineup is 4 batters short right now.

I think Pham will be an underrated pick up.

The Mets are expecting Baty, Alvarez, Vientos and Mauricio to come to the rescue. Once they establish themselves, they want to sign them to long contracts just like the Braves did with their young stars.

I hope it works.

Cookie not looking so hot. Wonder what he has left in the tank or if we have an issue in the 5 spot. Hope Verlander isn't out too long.

Anemic offense again too.

Cookie not looking so hot. Wonder what he has left in the tank or if we have an issue in the 5 spot. Hope Verlander isn't out too long.

Anemic offense again too.
Yeah... not clear how long the Mets can wait to call up Vientos and Baty. I don't think we see Mauricio or Alvarez until September call ups.

When you lose consecutive games by a combined 0-19, which is the greater problem? The nothing or the nineteen? I vote the nothing. The 19 can change with a different pitcher. The 0 is about your whole line-up.

So far this season is off to a disasterous start... Scherzer is getting lit up, Verlander DL, Quintana DL, Diaz out for the year, Peterson and Megill both allowing a LOT of contact, Carrasco doesn't have stamina to go deep w/ pitch clock, line up is anemic. The only bright spots seem to be Senga and the bullpen in tight games.

They gotta call up some kids for the home opener right? They have been shut out two games in a row. This is exactly how last year ended.

So far this season is off to a disasterous start... Scherzer is getting lit up, Verlander DL, Quintana DL, Diaz out for the year, Peterson and Megill both allowing a LOT of contact, Carrasco doesn't have stamina to go deep w/ pitch clock, line up is anemic. The only bright spots seem to be Senga and the bullpen in tight games.

They gotta call up some kids for the home opener right? They have been shut out two games in a row. This is exactly how last year ended.

Disastrous indeed. Just imagine the running Joke If the season goes belly up early... while having spent such a massive amount.

until you get some pop from Lindor and Pete they will be struggling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom