2023 NY Mets thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Peterson against Burnes tonight. I hope David continues to pitch really well.

Worried about Carrasco. His velocity was down noticeably, the Mets gave him extra days of rest and he had poor command. Very similar to what was happening to Verlander just before he went on the DL.

If we lose him to the DL too, I don't know who gets the call. Butto maybe? Eppler has traded away just about every decent young pitcher we have in the upper part of the farm season to get very underwhelming older players. Alderson wasn't much better.

The worst news of all from yesterday was that Baty got hurt playing in the Syracuse Mets home opener. No idea how serious the injury is (thumb?) but he was the one clear upgrade we had in the minors that could help the offense right away no question. This is the same thumb that he had surgery on late last season that ended that year early for him.

Last edited:
Peterson against Burnes tonight. I hope David continues to pitch really well.

Worried about Carrasco. His velocity was down noticeably, the Mets gave him extra days of rest and he had poor command. Very similar to what was happening to Verlander just before he went on the DL.

If we lose him to the DL too, I don't know who gets the call. Butto maybe? Eppler has traded away just about every decent young pitcher we have in the upper part of the farm season to get very underwhelming older players. Alderson wasn't much better.

The worst news of all from yesterday was that Baty got hurt playing in the Syracuse Mets home opener. No idea how serious the injury is (thumb?) but he was the one clear upgrade we had in the minors that could help the offense right away no question. This is the same thumb that he had surgery on late last season that ended that year early for him.

This is the latest: Mets avoid the worst with Brett Baty injury

It sounds more like "not bad news" than good news but I'll take it.

I remember a blooper where a broadcaster said of a football player "He appears to have injured his nose. I think it's the same nose he injured last year."

It's way too soon to write off the season... but you do wonder if a season where they burn it all down wouldn't be the worst. I continue to wonder if they shouldn't make Pete available and pray that Vientos can deliver 66% of his value. Also Scherzer and Marte would probably have some decent trade value.

The issue is they are paying a LOT of money to just be good... I think Dodgers, Padres, Braves are all definitely ahead of the Mets and I think the Phils and Cards might also be better. I don't see a path to becoming a title contender with this crew because all of the career peaks seemed mismatched. Alonso and McNeil are in their primes. Lindor seems late prime... and Marte, Canha, Mad Max, Verlander, Escobar, are all at the point where they could fall off the table at any second. The kids in Syracuse probably need a few years to reach their prime. And there really is ZERO pitching depth.

It's amazing that Cohen/Eppler spent this much to create this much of a mess... granted they are still rebuilding form the Wilson days.

It is a shame to lose Narvaez, who has played pretty well so far this year.

If the Mets do call up Alvarez, it might end up being a good break for the team.

Let's see what the kid has.

I am a little sad because I was looking forward to seeing Francisco playing in Syracuse most of this year.

At this point we need live bats. Defense may suffer a little but with starting pitching looking very shaky... I fear we could dig a hole we can't get out of.

Glad we have had 5 games vs the Marlins so far. We can't keep waiting to see if Escobar figures it out...

It's so freaking painful watching this team hit. Got a little going yesterday but heavily assisted by all the walks.

It's so freaking painful watching this team hit. Got a little going yesterday but heavily assisted by all the walks.
It’s not even like they are getting unlucky… just lots of weak outs. At least Escobar made some contact finally and so hit one out.

It’s not even like they are getting unlucky… just lots of weak outs. At least Escobar made some contact finally and so hit one out.
Yeah glad to see him get one. We saw that last year too followed by going back to a long hitless streak.

Yeah glad to see him get one. We saw that last year too followed by going back to a long hitless streak.
He has actually had a good day. Chisolm robbed him when he hit a rocket and he hit one to the warning track after that.

Maybe he is figuring it out. Sure hope so.

Polar Bear shaved his mustache and hit another homer. Guessing he will stay that way a while….

He has actually had a good day. Chisolm robbed him when he hit a rocket and he hit one to the warning track after that.

Maybe he is figuring it out. Sure hope so.

Polar Bear shaved his mustache and hit another homer. Guessing he will stay that way a while….
We will find out next week against the Padres whether the Mets that played the Brewers is real or this version that is playing a really poor Marlins team is real. I hope it’s this version.

Looks like Álvarez starts tomorrow.

We will find out next week against the Padres whether the Mets that played the Brewers is real or this version that is playing a really poor Marlins team is real. I hope it’s this version.

Looks like Álvarez starts tomorrow.
Pete got another HR as a DH. Believe his stats as a DH are quite a bit better than as a 1B. He loves playing in the field but look for Buck to give Pete regular days off from the field through the season.

Senga looks like the real deal. Throws hard, has good breaking stuff and his control looks good too. I suspect he is going to hit a lot of games for the Mets.

Carrasco pitches tomorrow. Hope his velocity is up and his command is good. Really can’t afford to have 3 starting pitchers out all at once. I continue to be very worried about him.

If he can keep us in the game and last 5 innings, I would be happy. It will be tough throwing to a rookie. They should at least be able to communicate together, which is probably why Buck chose to play Alvarez tomorrow. Then we need to find a way to get 4 innings out of the dregs of the staff. Ottovino will probably handle the 9th if we have a lead. Nogosek will surely be asked to throw at least 1 inning. And we probably throw Reyes and Santana out there to handle the sixth and seventh innings

We are going to need to score some runs. Maybe a lot of runs.

Pete got another HR as a DH. Believe his stats as a DH are quite a bit better than as a 1B. He loves playing in the field but look for Buck to give Pete regular days off from the field through the season.

Senga looks like the real deal. Throws hard, has good breaking stuff and his control looks good too. I suspect he is going to hit a lot of games for the Mets.

Carrasco pitches tomorrow. Hope his velocity is up and his command is good. Really can’t afford to have 3 starting pitchers out all at once. I continue to be very worried about him.

If he can keep us in the game and last 5 innings, I would be happy. It will be tough throwing to a rookie. They should at least be able to communicate together, which is probably why Buck chose to play Alvarez tomorrow. Then we need to find a way to get 4 innings out of the dregs of the staff. Ottovino will probably handle the 9th if we have a lead. Nogosek will surely be asked to throw at least 1 inning. And we probably throw Reyes and Santana out there to handle the sixth and seventh innings

We are going to need to score some runs. Maybe a lot of runs.
Cookie looks washed and Max can’t get out of the sixth…. we are down to Senga, Peterson and Megill after spending $400mm. Cool.

I’m really curious what kind of rope eppler gets.

Cookie looks washed and Max can’t get out of the sixth…. we are down to Senga, Peterson and Megill after spending $400mm. Cool.

I’m really curious what kind of rope eppler gets.

Yeah this is no bueno. Cookie having a more normal outing with a better second and third inning but doesn't really matter. This can't persist.

Yeah this is no bueno. Cookie having a more normal outing with a better second and third inning but doesn't really matter. This can't persist.
Hey at least Álvarez has a single and a RBI… doesn’t that match Nido’s output for the year?

But Scherzer and the bullpen aren't. Quite a night for the Mets against the team that ended their season last year and who got several players the Mets fans wanted their team to get. Amazing groundskeeping, causing two rollers down the third base line to stay fair in the same inning!

But Scherzer and the bullpen aren't. Quite a night for the Mets against the team that ended their season last year and who got several players the Mets fans wanted their team to get. Amazing groundskeeping, causing two rollers down the third base line to stay fair in the same inning!
It was a nice win.

We unfortunately were forced to each all four of our best relievers to get the win (Curtiss, Smith, Robertson and Ottovino). So we have little in the way of quality relief pitching available for the game tonight.

Really need Peterson to pitch into the seventh inning.

Nogosek, Raley, Reyes and Santana are unlikely to put up a bunch of zeros when called in. This team desperately needs a reliable relief pitcher who can come in and pitch a couple of innings. Seth Lugo is already greatly missed. And pitching lights out as a starter for the Padres.

Francisco Alvarez will reportedly get a start (no one Max would pitch to him). Hope he is able to contribute some offense. I have a feeling he might tonight.

It was a nice win.

We unfortunately were forced to each all four of our best relievers to get the win (Curtiss, Smith, Robertson and Ottovino). So we have little in the way of quality relief pitching available for the game tonight.

Really need Peterson to pitch into the seventh inning.

Nogosek, Raley, Reyes and Santana are unlikely to put up a bunch of zeros when called in. This team desperately needs a reliable relief pitcher who can come in and pitch a couple of innings. Seth Lugo is already greatly missed. And pitching lights out as a starter for the Padres.

Francisco Alvarez will reportedly get a start (no one Max would pitch to him). Hope he is able to contribute some offense. I have a feeling he might tonight.

Please translate, (if spell check will let you):

"no one Max would pitch to him"

Please translate, (if spell check will let you):

"no one Max would pitch to him"
That was supposed to say

no way Max would pitch to him

I say this because last year, Max was reported to be very reluctant to pitch to McCann. He preferred to pitch to Nido.

Alvarez is young, let's say 'rough around the edges' as far as catching goes and I am not sure his English is great right now.

Max likes consistency. It was no surprise Alvarez caught Carrasco in his first start this year.

We know Francisco is fully accepted on the club when he catches Max regularly. Guessing it won't happen much this season. Will be watching to see who catches Verlander as well when he finally starts pitching.

The veteran pitchers will eventually pitch with him catching but I think it will take a while. Believe Max eventually pitched some games with McCann. The relationship between a pitcher and a catcher is a big deal. This is one of the reasons it is really hard to bring in a young catcher, especially on a veteran team.

When the Mets won it all!

That's from this site, which has many old TV broadcasts and other snippets of historical baseball stuff:

This site has more of the same but the games are radio broadcasts, (perfect for putting on something to listen to while doing something else on your computer):

And they got those games from here:

This is not a post season ball club...
If Verlander comes back soon and is his normal self, it allows Peterson or Megill to become a reliever, and give the team a much needed (hopefully) reliable arm that can go 2 innings as needed.

We desperately need that. Believe he is going to do a rehab start in the minor next week. Good chance he will be in the rotation in the next 2 weeks.

I suspect the minute Verlander comes back, Carrasco goes on the DL. He might go on it before then.

The other thing is to call up Baty and make his the starter at 3B. They should have done this at the start of the season. Can't afford to have another horrible hitter near the bottom of the lineup.

With any luck, Narvaez returns in mid June. That largely eliminates another non productive bat in the lineup.

I would call up Vientos and make him the full time DH. I think he is an upgrade over Pham, Vogelbach, Lacastro, Escobar and whoever else they are rolling out here.

Maybe sign Britton too. I know that are salary cap ramifications here.

Agree, this team is not going to win 100 games. But I still hope they can get to 90 wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom