2023 NY Mets thread | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Just got back from the game. Ohtani is the real deal and worth the price of admission. Too bad he tore his UCL.

He makes it look easy. Could he become a closer? It might be less strain on his arm.

Let me start by saying I like Carlos Carrasco a lot. Good guy. Easy to root for.

But I think it is time to remove him from the rotation. He is 36. His ERA is 6.80 and somehow continues to rise. I know he has a bone spur in his elbow and he is pitching in pain to help the team. I appreciate that.

But he is not helping anyone right now. I think he is going to be a free agent and likely will be elsewhere next season (would not surprise me if he has a good year). Appreciate his efforts, wish him the best of luck in the future.

Why not take him out of the rotation and give someone else a chance? Could see what Lucchesi can do with 7 starts (or whatever is left). Or even better, let’s give Mike Vasil, who had another stellar start for Syracuse last night, a chance to show what he has.

Mike got off to a bad start in AAA, which is not unusual. The balls used in AAA are much different than the ones used at lower levels of the minors, and instead are like the ones used at the MLB level. During August, his ERA is 2.79 and hitters are hitting .175 against him. And he took a no hitter into the ninth inning.

It is a shame Luke Ritter just suffered an oblique injury and will miss the rest of the season. He really emerged this year, splitting time between Binghamton and Syracuse. Ended the year hitting .244 with 27 HRs. He played some at 1B, 3B and DH but has mostly played 2B to date. I think at this point, he has emerged as a legit prospect.

Another guy who came out of nowhere this season is Brandon McIlwaine. A former college football player, Brandon decided he had a better future in pro baseball. Hit .260 with 7 HRs in Bingo and is hitting .269 with 4 HRs in a month at Syracuse. Appears to be a plus defender with good range and a strong arm. Also has 16 steals this season and is 7 of 8 at the AAA level. Someone to watch out for and maybe someone who will get called up in September.

Let me start by saying I like Carlos Carrasco a lot. Good guy. Easy to root for.

But I think it is time to remove him from the rotation. He is 36. His ERA is 6.80 and somehow continues to rise. I know he has a bone spur in his elbow and he is pitching in pain to help the team. I appreciate that.

But he is not helping anyone right now. I think he is going to be a free agent and likely will be elsewhere next season (would not surprise me if he has a good year). Appreciate his efforts, wish him the best of luck in the future.

Why not take him out of the rotation and give someone else a chance? Could see what Lucchesi can do with 7 starts (or whatever is left). Or even better, let’s give Mike Vasil, who had another stellar start for Syracuse last night, a chance to show what he has.

Mike got off to a bad start in AAA, which is not unusual. The balls used in AAA are much different than the ones used at lower levels of the minors, and instead are like the ones used at the MLB level. During August, his ERA is 2.79 and hitters are hitting .175 against him. And he took a no hitter into the ninth inning.

It is a shame Luke Ritter just suffered an oblique injury and will miss the rest of the season. He really emerged this year, splitting time between Binghamton and Syracuse. Ended the year hitting .244 with 27 HRs. He played some at 1B, 3B and DH but has mostly played 2B to date. I think at this point, he has emerged as a legit prospect.

Another guy who came out of nowhere this season is Brandon McIlwaine. A former college football player, Brandon decided he had a better future in pro baseball. Hit .260 with 7 HRs in Bingo and is hitting .269 with 4 HRs in a month at Syracuse. Appears to be a plus defender with good range and a strong arm. Also has 16 steals this season and is 7 of 8 at the AAA level. Someone to watch out for and maybe someone who will get called up in September.
This has nothing to do with a bone spur. For two of the three seasons he has been available for the Mets, he's been this bad. He was a serviceable 4/5 last season, but he's not even a ML caliber player at this juncture. The Mets need to DFA him or phantom IL him to get Vasil or Lucchesi a look.

The most important quality a pitcher must have is the ability to get guys out. If he can't do that, his other virtues aren't going to make up for it.

The Mets envisioned a starting rotation of Scherzer, Verlander, Senga, Carasco and Quintana together with a bullpen that has gotten them a 38-10 record when they get a quality start + Diaz and productive "keep the train moving" line-up plus the intangibles they had last year.

Instead they've gotten injuries to Verlander, Carasco and Quintana, 48 quality starts in 131 games, a derailed train of a line-up and a bunch of guys who don't know the double play they just completed ended the inning. The Yankees, Angels and Padres are huge disappointments -and they all have better records than we do.

(See the SMets thread for my observations on today's game.)

This has nothing to do with a bone spur. For two of the three seasons he has been available for the Mets, he's been this bad. He was a serviceable 4/5 last season, but he's not even a ML caliber player at this juncture. The Mets need to DFA him or phantom IL him to get Vasil or Lucchesi a look.

Then shut him down. It's not an excuse if you're playing. Never has been and never will be.
That is what I said a few posts ago….

Not a believer in Gott. I'm surprised his ERA was only 5.40 going into tonight. But I knew we were toast when he was assigned to close-out tonight's game with a one-run lead. He looked good striking out the side but not so good giving up a single, a double, and intentional walk and another single to fall behind 3-4. He opened with the 7-8-9 hitters and the first two went single, double.

Pete's slumping again: 0 for 4 with three strike-outs today and 2 for 18 with 11 strike-outs in his last 6 games. His last homer was 8 days ago. :(

Not a believer in Gott. I'm surprised his ERA was only 5.40 going into tonight. But I knew we were toast when he was assigned to close-out tonight's game with a one-run lead. He looked good striking out the side but not so good giving up a single, a double, and intentional walk and another single to fall behind 3-4. He opened with the 7-8-9 hitters and the first two went single, double.

Pete's slumping again: 0 for 4 with three strike-outs today and 2 for 18 with 11 strike-outs in his last 6 games. His last homer was 8 days ago. :(
Gott probably won't be on the staff next year. He is going to be put in high leverage situations pretty often the rest of the year and we can probably expect similar results. Not worried about him.

The story of the game was IMHO, Megill. He was throwing up to 98 mph last night and was throwing fastballs in the sixth over 96. He overpowered the Rangers most of the night (Buck really should have pulled him early in the sixth but I think he is in building the young starters for the future mode now).

When someone, probably DeGrom, in the Mets rotation got hurt early a couple of years ago, Megill came up and was a revelation for a month or two. Threw his fastball in the 96-98 mph range. Had good breaking stuff. Looked like a star for the future.

He got hurt and went on the IL. I think he changed things after that to stay healthy. Pretty sure at the urging of Met pitching coaches. His mechanics got screwed up. His fastball went to the 92-943 mph range.

He finally figured things out in Syracuse earlier this summer when he was sent down and got his mechanics back so he could throw hard again. Very excited to see old Tylor throwing again. Hopeful he can keep this up the rest of the year.

Peterson is also quietly pitching far far better since he was called up from Syracuse, where he also found himself again. He might finally get it. Attacking hitters a lot more, less wasted pitches out of the strike zone. He might also be back.

To me, one of the biggest stories the rest of the year is how Megill and Peterson finish out the season. Also very interested in Edwin Diaz and if he can make it back and show he is still a dominant closer in September. Call up Vasil and see what he has as well. He would replace Carassco. No mas for Carlos.

Gott probably won't be on the staff next year. He is going to be put in high leverage situations pretty often the rest of the year and we can probably expect similar results. Not worried about him.

The story of the game was IMHO, Megill. He was throwing up to 98 mph last night and was throwing fastballs in the sixth over 96. He overpowered the Rangers most of the night (Buck really should have pulled him early in the sixth but I think he is in building the young starters for the future mode now).

When someone, probably DeGrom, in the Mets rotation got hurt early a couple of years ago, Megill came up and was a revelation for a month or two. Threw his fastball in the 96-98 mph range. Had good breaking stuff. Looked like a star for the future.

He got hurt and went on the IL. I think he changed things after that to stay healthy. Pretty sure at the urging of Met pitching coaches. His mechanics got screwed up. His fastball went to the 92-943 mph range.

He finally figured things out in Syracuse earlier this summer when he was sent down and got his mechanics back so he could throw hard again. Very excited to see old Tylor throwing again. Hopeful he can keep this up the rest of the year.

Peterson is also quietly pitching far far better since he was called up from Syracuse, where he also found himself again. He might finally get it. Attacking hitters a lot more, less wasted pitches out of the strike zone. He might also be back.

To me, one of the biggest stories the rest of the year is how Megill and Peterson finish out the season. Also very interested in Edwin Diaz and if he can make it back and show he is still a dominant closer in September. Call up Vasil and see what he has as well. He would replace Carassco. No mas for Carlos.

Do the SMets have a better pitching coach than the Mets?

Winning is still fun.

Saw DJ several times in Syracuse and was glad to see him have a career night.

Meanwhile, Ronny's time has come.

MSN

McNeill has played both left and right. I think he's better in right. Stewart's obviously going to play so he'll be in one of the two fields.

Meanwhile, Ronny's time has come.

MSN

McNeill has played both left and right. I think he's better in right. Stewart's obviously going to play so he'll be in one of the two fields.
I am glad Ronny got called up. This will help TV ratings and even attendance to some degree.

Will really be mad if he ends up on the bench watching most of the rest of the season. If you are going to call him up, play him every day.

Baty is starting to hit in Syracuse. Hopefully he gets called up too and we see all the baby Mets play regularly the rest of the year.

DH/3B Vientos
2B Mauricio
C Alvarez
3B Baty

Call up Vasil too and put him in the rotation.

That would make the rest of the season a lot more interesting to watch.

I am glad Ronny got called up. This will help TV ratings and even attendance to some degree.

Will really be mad if he ends up on the bench watching most of the rest of the season. If you are going to call him up, play him every day.

Baty is starting to hit in Syracuse. Hopefully he gets called up too and we see all the baby Mets play regularly the rest of the year.

DH/3B Vientos
2B Mauricio
C Alvarez
3B Baty

Call up Vasil too and put him in the rotation.

That would make the rest of the season a lot more interesting to watch.

If the Mets didn't get that double play last night, they were going to send in Carrasco to try to finish the game. (Ugh!) But that opens up a spot for Vasil in the starting rotation.

Baty is also getting called up. Too bad we won’t see Vasil. The Syracuse Mets had a good offense most of the year but no longer.

Baty is also getting called up. Too bad we won’t see Vasil. The Syracuse Mets had a good offense most of the year but no longer.

I wonder if we'll see any of the prospect acquired in the trades in Syracuse this year.

I wonder if we'll see any of the prospect acquired in the trades in Syracuse this year.
Jarvis has started several games already. He has not done well in them.

He is actually the starting pitcher for Syracuse tonight. Hope he has a good game.

On Sunday, Alonso hit two home runs in a win over the Seattle Mariners, bringing his total to 41 on the season. He became just the fifth player in MLB history to hit 40+ home runs in three of their first five seasons, via ESPN Stats & Info. He also marked the 19th multi-homer game of his career, third most in Mets’ franchise history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom