2023 NY Mets thread | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Stat time: Lindor has hit 3 homers in this double header to reach 30-30 land and Senga got his 200th strike out. Pete went 4 for 4, (with his 46th home run) but he's up to 117 RBI in a 'bad' year. There's still some star power on this team.

Last edited:
The Mini-Mets:

Mauricio, after a hot start, is down to .244.
Vientos, after a hot stretch, is hitting .216.
Baty is hitting .212.
Alvarez, the big story, is hitting .209.

I think they will all make it in the bigs and even achieve stardom. But it's been a bumpy ride so far.

The season that began with Diaz taking himself out for the season by jumping up and down in celebration could end with two teams going to the ballpark to play (less than) one inning.

I liked him and felt he did a great job with the 2022 team, which had much better fundamentals than previous teams. I was tired of guys who had never managed before and had training wheels on. I was disappointed with the quality of play of the 2023 team and got tired of Buck always wanting to look at the positive side of things to avoid discussing what went wrong.

I hope they get another guy who has managed before with some success.

IMG_0388.jpeg

Firing Showalter and keeping Eppler is a Mets move. Eppler set the table and Showalter was forced to make due with the roster he was given. If Buck is to go, Eppler needs to join him.

Firing Showalter and keeping Eppler is a Mets move. Eppler set the table and Showalter was forced to make do with the roster he was given. If Buck is to go, Eppler needs to join him.
Sorry to see Buck go. He did a good job under difficult circumstances. I suspect he will get another job and do well there. Who knows, maybe the Yanks will hire him back?

Not a fan of Eppler as the final decision maker but as a #2 guy, he should be good. And his background just might give us a chance to get Ohtani.

Buck leaving clears the path for Craig Counsell to become the next Mets manager. He is well respected as a manager and has piloted to Brewers to the playoffs 5 of the last 6 seasons.

He is a ND graduate, which is unfortunate but no one is perfect.

Sorry to see Buck go. He did a good job under difficult circumstances. I suspect he will get another job and do well there. Who knows, maybe the Yanks will hire him back?

Not a fan of Eppler as the final decision maker but as a #2 guy, he should be good. And his background just might give us a chance to get Ohtani.

Buck leaving clears the path for Craig Counsell to become the next Mets manager. He is well respected as a manager and has piloted to Brewers to the playoffs 5 of the last 6 seasons.

Eppler will have little to no influence on Ohtani. After tearing his UCL, he's going to want the money. It's up to Cohen wanting to sign him. Eppler should be gone if they're getting rid of Buck. He didn't do anything during the 2022 trade deadline and came back with a team that was objectively worse this season.

Could be a homecoming for Pat Murphy (CBA 1977) as he was Counsell's coach at ND.

Megill pitched well down the stretch. 2.55 ERA in his last 6 starts is impressive. After he was called back up from Syracuse, he threw markedly harder. Hit 98 MPH a bunch of times in his last start and did so in other September starts as well. He has the stuff to be a fine starter in MLB. He ended the year 9-8 with a 4.70 ERA overall.

Peterson also improved after getting sent down and coming back. He wasn't as effective as Tylor but his ERA was 3.57 the last 28 days of the year. I think he might have had some arm trouble late because he wasn't throwing more than 90 or 91 mph with his fastball but he pitched through it and I think significant progress was made down the stretch.

Jose Butto also finished the year in the rotation and ended it with a 3.64 ERA. Hitters only hit .212 against him. He has a nice fastball, a good slider and a really good changeup. Like him a lot.

Decisions need to be made on all three. All could benefit from the new pitching lab the Mets have set up. Stearns was an early pioneer in this area and I am hopeful 2 or 3 of the starting pitchers can come from these guys. It would save a lot of money for other areas if these guys can really step up.

Senga did step up and was one of the most dominant pitchers in MLB as a rookie. Finished the year 12-7 with a 2.98 ERA and a 4.5 WAR.

He ended the year 2nd in the NL in ERA, 3rd in hits/inning and 3rd in pitcher WAR. He won't win the Cy Young but he will get some votes. I think he has a chance to be Rookie of the Year, which I don't agree with but the rules are the rules.

Add in Jose Quintana, whose ERA was 3.57 once he finally started pitching, and the starting rotation looks a lot better today than it did a couple of months ago.

Still need to add a couple proven starters (I think you need at least 7 to start with). But then we have Mike Vasil, who pitched in AA and
AAA in 2023.

Vasil was hard to hit this year. .225 BA against him in AA and AAA. He had problems with control some games and was inconsistent but his spin rates are elite and he could be very good in a year. Maybe less.

Dom Hamel, Blade Tidwell, Christian Scott and Tyler Stuart all did well in A and AA in 2023 and are MLB prospects. We are finally going to see a bunch of MLB level prospects pitching in Syracuse next summer.

So I think the play is to sign an experienced starter or two that is willing to take a one year contract and turn things over to the kids after that.

We don't have the same level of relief pitches close to being ready for MLB yet and a couple of these young starters will probably get converted to relievers sometime next year.

If the 'baby Mets' can hit in MLB like they have in the minors, combined with the core guys in their prime already on the roster, and this could be a very good team next year. And there are some really nice looking position players coming soon that we will see play some in Syracuse in 2024.

Add in the return of Diaz and I think things are looking better for next year than what we did this season.

This is what the Wilpons would have done.

Last edited:

Megill pitched well down the stretch. 2.55 ERA in his last 6 starts is impressive. After he was called back up from Syracuse, he threw markedly harder. Hit 98 MPH a bunch of times in his last start and did so in other September starts as well. He has the stuff to be a fine starter in MLB. He ended the year 9-8 with a 4.70 ERA overall.

Peterson also improved after getting sent down and coming back. He wasn't as effective as Tylor but his ERA was 3.57 the last 28 days of the year. I think he might have had some arm trouble late because he wasn't throwing more than 90 or 91 mph with his fastball but he pitched through it and I think significant progress was made down the stretch.

Jose Butto also finished the year in the rotation and ended it with a 3.64 ERA. Hitters only hit .212 against him. He has a nice fastball, a good slider and a really good changeup. Like him a lot.

Decisions need to be made on all three. All could benefit from the new pitching lab the Mets have set up. Stearns was an early pioneer in this area and I am hopeful 2 or 3 of the starting pitchers can come from these guys. It would save a lot of money for other areas if these guys can really step up.

Senga did step up and was one of the most dominant pitchers in MLB as a rookie. Finished the year 12-7 with a 2.98 ERA and a 4.5 WAR.

He ended the year 2nd in the NL in ERA, 3rd in hits/inning and 3rd in pitcher WAR. He won't win the Cy Young but he will get some votes. I think he has a chance to be Rookie of the Year, which I don't agree with but the rules are the rules.

Add in Jose Quintana, whose ERA was 3.57 once he finally started pitching, and the starting rotation looks a lot better today than it did a couple of months ago.

Still need to add a couple proven starters (I think you need at least 7 to start with). But then we have Mike Vasil, who pitched in AA and
AAA in 2023.

Vasil was hard to hit this year. .225 BA against him in AA and AAA. He had problems with control some games and was inconsistent but his spin rates are elite and he could be very good in a year. Maybe less.

Dom Hamel, Blade Tidwell, Christian Scott and Tyler Stuart all did well in A and AA in 2023 and are MLB prospects. We are finally going to see a bunch of MLB level prospects pitching in Syracuse next summer.

So I think the play is to sign an experienced starter or two that is willing to take a one year contract and turn things over to the kids after that.

We don't have the same level of relief pitches close to being ready for MLB yet and a couple of these young starters will probably get converted to relievers sometime next year.

If the 'baby Mets' can hit in MLB like they have in the minors, combined with the core guys in their prime already on the roster, and this could be a very good team next year. And there are some really nice looking position players coming soon that we will see play some in Syracuse in 2024.

Add in the return of Diaz and I think things are looking better for next year than what we did this season.

Admittedly the deck was stacked against Showalter this season but it has always puzzled me how Buck was held in such high regard, particularly by NYY fans (at least some of the ones I know). In 20+ years (excluding the strike year) Buck finished first in his division just two times and participated in only one LCS.

The season is over but the Mets just got another win.

Unfortunately, it was not enough to make the playoffs.

Wait until next year!

In my last big Mets post, I talked about the Mets outlook for 2024. Did not mention Joey Lucchesi. I should have. He had a nice season while he was with the big club and I think he should probably have spent more time in NY.

Don't think he should be in the starting rotation. But I think he would be an ideal person for a long relief, filler spot. When we have a righthanded starting pitcher who gets knocked out, and we are facing a lineup dominated by left handed hitters (as usual), Joey is an ideal guy to bring in. I hope the powers that be retain him because while I don't see him as a star, he is a useful player to have on the roster and part of the staff.

I think all the Mets fans on the board were angry when Vogelbach kept playing with no results for such a long time. Good to know Buck wanted to bench him.

I am thankful Eppler is not longer in a position to make important decisions for the Mets.

Interesting article. I’m siding with Buck on this one for a couple of reasons. The manager is accountable to the GM but should have the authority to decide his own lineup. Responsibility without authority is a loser. Secondly, Vogelbach was not not very productive hitting for much of the season and his skill set is very limited. By being forced to play Vogelbach, Buck was out us a bad position. It won’t break my heart if Eppler goes sooner than later.

Last edited:
I think all the Mets fans on the board were angry when Vogelbach kept playing with no results for such a long time. Good to know Buck wanted to bench him.

I am thankful Eppler is not longer in a position to make important decisions for the Mets.

Interesting article. I’m siding with Buck on this one for a couple of reasons. The manager is accountable to the GM but should have the authority to decide his own lineup. Responsibility without authority is a loser. Secondly, Vogelbach was not not very productive hitting for much of the season and his skill set is very limited. By being forced to play Vogelbach, Buck was out us a bad position. It won’t break my heart if Eppler goes sooner than later.

Interesting. I had assumed that Showalter, the veteran manager, insisted on going with veteran players and refused to play Vientos. Actually, he wanted to use the position to give his regular players a sort of half-day off, an interesting concept.

Alonso just signed with Scott Boras. The Mets should have extended when they had the chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom