at Virginia
(?) Holy Cross

Carryover games from last year (x5):
vs Albany
vs Army
at Cornell
vs Johns Hopkins
at Maryland

So that is 15 games, which is a lot. To me, the more games the better, but man those are some tough games. Depending on the Holy Cross game (my inkling is a home game) they have eight home games and seven away games. They can have 17 "events" which includes scrimmages. They are scheduled for one down at Loyola this October. Perhaps they get rid of one of their spring scrimmages? Or perhaps they are indeed dropping one of the New York teams. They have played Cornell 107 times so I have a real hard time seeing them end that rivalry. The Albany series is relatively newish at 20 times. Keeping Cornell on the schedule would make for an incredibly difficult schedule though.
Dropping Army

Playing 2 at Loyola in Oct.

Army was not an option for the open date on the schedule but things do change.

Thanks this is super helpful! Nice to get a preview of what the schedule will look like. Any idea if the Holy Cross game will be home or away? As a New England resident it would be great to see the Orange play close by. Shame to lose out on the Army game, they have had the Orange's number recently and I think Syracuse would have had a good chance to win that game this year.

Thanks this is super helpful! Nice to get a preview of what the schedule will look like. Any idea if the Holy Cross game will be home or away? As a New England resident it would be great to see the Orange play close by. Shame to lose out on the Army game, they have had the Orange's number recently and I think Syracuse would have had a good chance to win that game this year.

I'd be shocked if that wasn't a home game. Can't see SU ever playing at Holy Cross

I threw a schedule spreadsheet up at the top of the thread.

I listed all the open weekends, but we could always squeeze in a game on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm gonna guess that we open with Holy Cross then travel to Maryland.

I'm also guessing that the Hopkins game stays about where it always is.

Hofstra and Bonnie are confirmed. DMV says that Army is out.

What did we decide about Hobart?

I listed all the open weekends, but we could always squeeze in a game on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

I would assume there in but dont be surprised if its at SU again

I would hope Maryland would be a little later

What does adding schools like St Bonaventure and Hofstra/Holy Cross and losing teams like Army do to our RPI and potential hopes for NCAA birth? Obviously we need to stay above .500 but can we still get in the tournament with and 8-7 record for instance with this schedule?

What does adding schools like St Bonaventure and Hofstra/Holy Cross and losing teams like Army do to our RPI and potential hopes for NCAA birth? Obviously we need to stay above .500 but can we still get in the tournament with and 8-7 record for instance with this schedule?

Have you seen the rest of the schedule? Maryland, Princeton, Cornell, Hopkins OOC will more then offset adding Bonaventure to the schedule and Hofstra is a mid level team like Hobart, shouldn't really negatively effect our RPI. Getting in at 8-7 would be unknow as you'd have to see how the rest of the Power conferences did and what 8 games did SU win. Id feel a lot more comfortable at 9-6

Granted, it may hurt our RPI and SOS, but what did a losing record last year do to our chances for an NCAA berth? We needed to make the schedule a bit easier. Last year's schedule was a buzzsaw/meat-grinder/etc.

Win enough to be eligible, and I'll take my chances with RPI and SOS.

If the ACC has another down year than 8-7 or 7-7 certainly won’t be enough. Even if the conference is better, which I think they will be, with the improvement of the Ivy League, I think the days of the ACC having all five teams in the tournament might over. So SU will have to pull off some upsets next year.

They are basically trading Hofstra for Stony Brook and Princeton for Army. Sounds like St Bonaventure is an additional game. Hofstra might be a little worse than Stony Brook but Princeton is a clear upgrade over Army. Princeton is a consensus top 10 team coming off a final four appearance. Army is not even in the preseason top 25. The schedule is plenty tough, it’s just a matter of winning enough games.

Army was not an option for the open date on the schedule but things do change.
sometimes it just doesn't work out. they played on a wednesday last year, but that and anything else they try sometimes doesn't work.

it's contest "dates", so scrimmaging 2 teams same day will count as 1 date.

If we go strictly based off of last year, the shedule looks like this.

St. Bonaventure
at Princeton
at Maryland
Hopkins
at Hobart
Albany
at Cornell
Duke
at Duke
North Carolina
at North Carolina
Notre Dame
at Virginia

That's 13 games, I beleive SU is looking to play 14 again so let's say that 14th game is a lower level opponent, lets go with say Binghamton.

Unknown but lower level opp - Binghamton/Siena/Canisius etc
at Princeton
at Maryland
Hopkins
at Hobart
Albany
at Cornell
Duke
at Duke
North Carolina
at North Carolina
Notre Dame
at Virginia

Schedule is pretty much the same from last year if not a tad tougher when you now throw Princeton in the mix instead of Stony Brook. If Gait is serious about lightening up the schedule a bit SU is either going to play a 15th game against a lesser type team, take off a Cornell or Army or see if Maryland will bump back the return game a few years.

With the current schedule Army will certainly take a step back from last years team and you would assume the Albany game was a one year blip. You also get Duke and UNC twice versus ND and UVA who are the top 2 ACC teams. Still the Princeton game on its face makes little sense if Gait truly wanted to lighten up the schedule as he previously noted.
You may have a conference game after you play us (one of the second games vs. an NC team?). We've seem to have been the 5th team for the last weekend of the season for a couple of years now while the other 4 play each other.

Be fine if we play a short bench. Some that I saw yesterday have trouble holding on to the ball.

Thinking more of the faceoff dot being a major issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom