2023 Transfer Thread | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Transfer Thread

For the Terps, Dante Trader Jr. is saying that he plans on playing lacrosse this Spring.

Wasn't trying to take a shot, was just making an observation. I always get a laugh when the commentary around a rival getting a good player is that "this is good for us, having that much talent isn't sustainable." Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

It all sounds like sour grapes from a program who wishes they could have added talent like that to their roster.
Jokes you on I love sour grapes. So bring it on or you can kick rocks.

Potential ssdm who is good in transition candidate? Lots of guys for Md to replace at ssdm next year.
Perhaps, on the wings on face-offs.
One of the big things about Trader playing this Spring would be just developing his game, so he could play a larger role down the road.

Wasn't trying to take a shot, was just making an observation. I always get a laugh when the commentary around a rival getting a good player is that "this is good for us, having that much talent isn't sustainable." Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.
Final warning. If you've come here to troll, you've come to the wrong place.

If you have nothing to add other than 'Whatever helps you sleep at night', you'll be gone before you can say Danowski.

You're done with this thread. Let's see how you do with the next one.

Regarding the football to lacrosse switch, someone on FanLax pointed out that Dox Aitken struggled after spending the fall with Villanova lacrosse. He went from having produced 52 points in 2019 to just 23 in 2021 (skipping over 2020 when he had 10 points in six games) .

It very well could have been injury related but Trader and Meizan will have spent significantly more time away from the sport. It might be totally nothing but the transition from one sport to the other might be a lot harder than we are realizing. Obviously as a counterpoint Jared Bernhardt had no trouble moving from lacrosse to football.

Final warning. If you've come here to troll, you've come to the wrong place.

If you have nothing to add other than 'Whatever helps you sleep at night', you'll be gone before you can say Danowski.

You're done with this thread. Let's see how you do with the next one.
I been practicing my kicking. Lemme at ‘em!

Meizan hasn't played in 5 years, neither we or UVA have any idea what kind of player they are getting. Kid is a hell of an athlete but he's been away from the game for half a decade and is now jumping to the highest collegiate level. It would be one thing if someone was getting say Bernhardt after missing the fall semester but there's no way to tell what impact Meizan will have this year.

Secondly I don't recall anyone sayign him going there is good for Syracuse but if he was promised time and it forces someone else out that can cause issues. There's only so many minutes for a UVA team that already is stretched to accommodate multiple 4 and 5 stars and All-Americans. At a certain point having to many "talented" players does become unsustainable because its impossible to get everyone on the field. Its why Tiffany's had to battle to keep guys out of the portal or withdraw the last few years.

Meizan hasn't played in 5 years, neither we or UVA have any idea what kind of player they are getting. Kid is a hell of an athlete but he's been away from the game for half a decade and is now jumping to the highest collegiate level. It would be one thing if someone was getting say Bernhardt after missing the fall semester but there's no way to tell what impact Meizan will have this year.

Secondly I don't recall anyone sayign him going there is good for Syracuse but if he was promised time and it forces someone else out that can cause issues. There's only so many minutes for a UVA team that already is stretched to accommodate multiple 4 and 5 stars and All-Americans. At a certain point having to many "talented" players does become unsustainable because its impossible to get everyone on the field. Its why Tiffany's had to battle to keep guys out of the portal or withdraw the last few years.
I would love to see their scholarship allocations for the next few years...especially with all the commits/flips, extras taking another year of eligibility and transfers etc.

I suspect that UVA will try to use Miezen somewhat like they used Chris LaPierre several years ago. Miezen would have to get proficient at the fundamentals such as picking up groundballs. So he might be a little bit of a project, who plays more towards the end of the season.

We have said it before in these situations - if it is a problem for uva it is the absolute best problem you could have. Yes some people may transfer, maybe you lose some commits, but between the insane quality already on the roster and portal grabs you will almost definitely still have a rock solid top 6 on O with good depth as well when it all shakes out. That’s how it’s gone for Tillman as well.

With Duke and Millon maybe the overall quality of the team recently was a factor in the UVA flip, but a big part of it is that for three years running they have brought in a top transfer to start at attack instead of starting/developing one of their younger players for the position (Sowers Lulley and now most likely Tommy Shelling). Would not be surprised if that was a factor in the flip. UVA may lose a guy in a similar way eventually. But they will be fine overall.

Oh wow check it out everyone it's Duke's one lacrosse fan! Take a picture kids these are rarer than unicorns! Careful what you say bud you represent the entire fanbase! Where the hell is my camera
Hey, now! The team's parents go to the games, too.

happy holidays, folks! been checked out for a while.
re: my observations on subjects brought up:
- bringing in transfers is not new for virginia. they've been doing it for at least 40 years and i'm sure longer. some starters and some not. not in big numbers, but they've always been open to it.
- that said, what is the difference and the discussion re: miezan being a problem any more than any other transfer? is it because he hasn't played in years, and THAT would be the sticking point? if so, i'd imagine that player(s) wouldn't actually be any happier no matter what transfer beat him out.
- uva has at least 28 guys rolling out the next 2 years and don't have a large roster. a good chunk of $$ is coming available as well as getting-on-the-field opportunities.

Terps have added another transfer, Cayden Onagi, A, from Harford CC.

4. Will Mark, G (LIU to Syracuse)
We didn’t see him in the fall as part of his transfer from LIU. The fact of the matter is: There are few spotlights brighter than being the starting goalie in the Carrier Dome. That’s what Will Mark is projected to be after backstopping LIU to some early success at the DI level. The two-time NEC Defensive Player of the Year has almost 500 saves in his career, stopping the ball at a rate of 55.8%.

Mark was 55.7% overall last year, but went 48.7% in LIU's three games against eventual ncaa tournament teams (Rutgers and St. Joe's twice). Will be interesting to see what his numbers are like against a full schedule of that caliber. The good thing for Syracuse fans is that even if he's around 49% for the season, that would still be significantly better than what they got from their goalies last year

4. Will Mark, G (LIU to Syracuse)
We didn’t see him in the fall as part of his transfer from LIU. The fact of the matter is: There are few spotlights brighter than being the starting goalie in the Carrier Dome. That’s what Will Mark is projected to be after backstopping LIU to some early success at the DI level. The two-time NEC Defensive Player of the Year has almost 500 saves in his career, stopping the ball at a rate of 55.8%.

a lot of high end transfers. this season has to be as much of a tossup as any. it's just around the corner.

i've only seen mcconvey about 4x, but he's been a monster each time. really interested to see if he can keep being that guy with more around him.

tosu and notre dame with their d additions might pull together some very difficult teams to score on.

outside of having a goalie, methinks a lot of success in 23 is going to be riding on ssdm groups. they're gonna be attacked as much as ever, and will have to be able to cover slides as well. can't wait.

Terps have added another transfer, Cayden Onagi, A, from Harford CC.
Interesting one. Given our success with OCC we know better than to underestimate community college talent. Wonder if he will see time

Mark was 55.7% overall last year, but went 48.7% in LIU's three games against eventual ncaa tournament teams (Rutgers and St. Joe's twice). Will be interesting to see what his numbers are like against a full schedule of that caliber. The good thing for Syracuse fans is that even if he's around 49% for the season, that would still be significantly better than what they got from their goalies last year

You seem to imply that the shooters are better and he will struggle. Isnt it more likely that he was facing more difficult shots to due to the talent disparity between Rutgers and St. Joe's offensive players and LIU's defensive players (e.g. strong hand center of the field)?

Who knows if that disparity will be increased or reduced at Syracuse? I know it seemed like our goalies last year made none of those "fluke" saves that win games, and seemed to miss a lot of saves they should make which keep you in games.

a lot of high end transfers. this season has to be as much of a tossup as any. it's just around the corner.

i've only seen mcconvey about 4x, but he's been a monster each time. really interested to see if he can keep being that guy with more around him.

tosu and notre dame with their d additions might pull together some very difficult teams to score on.

outside of having a goalie, methinks a lot of success in 23 is going to be riding on ssdm groups. they're gonna be attacked as much as ever, and will have to be able to cover slides as well. can't wait.
McConvey only had an assist in the one game I watched Vermont, against the Terps in the NCAA tmt.

Take a look at his shots on goal.

You seem to imply that the shooters are better and he will struggle. Isnt it more likely that he was facing more difficult shots to due to the talent disparity between Rutgers and St. Joe's offensive players and LIU's defensive players (e.g. strong hand center of the field)?

Who knows if that disparity will be increased or reduced at Syracuse? I know it seemed like our goalies last year made none of those "fluke" saves that win games, and seemed to miss a lot of saves they should make which keep you in games.
not saying he will "struggle," though i do think his % will drop from 56% last year which i don't think is a controversial take. cuse had one of the worst defenses in the country last year so i don't think you can take for granted that he'll be playing behind a better unit now than he did at LIU. maybe it will be but it's not a lock. what is a lock is that the caliber of shooters he'll be seeing will be much better and closer to those he saw in the rutgers/st. joe's games. him splitting the difference between 49% and 56% and being somewhere in the vicinity of ~52% this year is a reasonable prediction

McConvey only had an assist in the one game I watched Vermont, against the Terps in the NCAA tmt.
sounds like he might be motivated on march 18.

sounds like he might be motivated on march 18.
McConvey appears to only have had one goal in the season opener last year against Duke, so perhaps he will have some motivation for that game also.
What is your prediction for points scored by McConvey during UVa's 14 regualar season games?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom