2023 Transfer Thread | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Transfer Thread

Winners of the transfer portal. Cuse at 5, is it to low?

5. Syracuse

• Joe Bolea, SSDM, Kenyon
  • Cole Kirst, A/M, Lehigh
  • Will Mark, G, LIU
  • Jake Murphy, SSDM, LIU
  • Johnny Richiusa, FO, Canisius
  • Alex Simmons, A/M, Denver
The Orange’s incoming freshman class is the best in the land. The transfer group is solid, too. Will Mark, one of several LIU players who were in the portal this offseason, has been practicing in the fall but must wait until spring to be fully eligible. He could be the starting netminder. Alex Simmons has a proven track record with the Pioneers, and Johnny Richiusa provides some needed face-off help. Cole Kirst bolsters offensive depth while pursuing his desired degree at the prestigious Newhouse School.
A proven close defenseman or two would’ve been nice.

Winners of the transfer portal. Cuse at 5, is it to low?

5. Syracuse

• Joe Bolea, SSDM, Kenyon
  • Cole Kirst, A/M, Lehigh
  • Will Mark, G, LIU
  • Jake Murphy, SSDM, LIU
  • Johnny Richiusa, FO, Canisius
  • Alex Simmons, A/M, Denver
The Orange’s incoming freshman class is the best in the land. The transfer group is solid, too. Will Mark, one of several LIU players who were in the portal this offseason, has been practicing in the fall but must wait until spring to be fully eligible. He could be the starting netminder. Alex Simmons has a proven track record with the Pioneers, and Johnny Richiusa provides some needed face-off help. Cole Kirst bolsters offensive depth while pursuing his desired degree at the prestigious Newhouse School.
These IL rankings don't look too good in my opinion.

Maryland apparently added 1 more transfer giving them 4. His previous school did not have lacrosse but he was on their football team.

Maryland apparently added 1 more transfer giving them 4. His previous school did not have lacrosse but he was on their football team.
Who is it?

Fascinating to see how this plays out. Gonna be a few middies who thought they were getting on the field very unhappy.
Honestly would not be surprised if he only sees time for occasional second line mid minutes, if at all. At least in his first year. Quite a few players new and old that scare me more on UVA at present. Similar to Xavier Arline since he was both highly rated and has been away from the game a long time. Arline had a couple nasty highlight plays for Navy last year but ended up with only 8 points in 6 games on 16% shooting. Hoping for some similarities with Miezan this time around.

Honestly would not be surprised if he only sees time for occasional second line mid minutes, if at all. At least in his first year. Quite a few players new and old that scare me more on UVA at present. Similar to Xavier Arline since he was both highly rated and has been away from the game a long time. Arline had a couple nasty highlight plays for Navy last year but ended up with only 8 points in 6 games on 16% shooting. Hoping for some similarities with Miezan this time around.

Good point about Arline, he didn't have the impact most were expecting. Miezan has been out of competitive lacrosse for five years now, that has to have some sort of impact. Still, I find it hard to believe he would transfer to UVA just to sit on the bench. I have to imagine he had some sort of assurance he would play meaningful minutes, right?

At the very least, UVA could put out Miezan (6'2, 237) with McConvey (6-4, 210) and Griffen Schutz (6-3, 220) on the same midfield line and ... yikes. Size isn't everything (just look at Argentina taking down the Dutch towers in the World Cup this past weekend) but that is pretty scary.

Good point about Arline, he didn't have the impact most were expecting. Miezan has been out of competitive lacrosse for five years now, that has to have some sort of impact. Still, I find it hard to believe he would transfer to UVA just to sit on the bench. I have to imagine he had some sort of assurance he would play meaningful minutes, right?

At the very least, UVA could put out Miezan (6'2, 237) with McConvey (6-4, 210) and Griffen Schutz (6-3, 220) on the same midfield line and ... yikes. Size isn't everything (just look at Argentina taking down the Dutch towers in the World Cup this past weekend) but that is pretty scary.
Scary indeed. We had Shutz and Cormier (when matched up with one) taking our ssdms to the rack last year. Guys like Carter Rice are crucial for speedier middies, but you have to be extremely cautious putting him on the field against larger middie match ups. One of our biggest potential ssdm prospects is Nate Levine and I am pretty certain he will have guys over him at man up this year. Wish we had someone his size to trot out against more physical middie lines. Guys like Rice and Trujillo would be in trouble. Another large ssdm candidate is Shafer Woody. 6'1 217 and I believe missed time due to injury last year.

Fascinating to see how this plays out. Gonna be a few middies who thought they were getting on the field very unhappy.
Could not agree more... love how this happens so far into the fall semester. I guess Lars will tell the team that some players are too good to pass up, but you do this enough and the HS/club coaches of some of these players will start to get pissed also.

have a hard time seeing miezen having a major impact at UVA this spring. could see him being more of a factor in 2024 if he returns then. it's really hard to not only switch sports but also do so in the middle of the year after missing all of fall ball. and that's doubly true if he's going to play d-middie and have to learn all the slide packages and stuff. if you trot him out on offense and just say "hey use your speed and athleticism to get to the rack," he'll probably score a few goals but wouldn't expect a ton beyond that, at least not this season.

There's a lot of speculation about where Miezan will fit in on our board, too. We have something of a "tradition" of having a punt return clearing middie and he certainly would fit the size and speed bills. We have had (I'll be nice) "less than stellar" wing play on FOs for quite a while with the exception of when Ryan Conrad was there. Depending on how quickly he can get his stick skills back, he may be a good fit as the short stick on the wing.

Interesting take. No mention of Colsey. If you aren’t breaking into the top six this year you might not have an easier time next year either with Millon joining the fold.

Interesting take. No mention of Colsey. If you aren’t breaking into the top six this year you might not have an easier time next year either with Millon joining the fold.

after this season they lose mcconvey, conner, dickson, and maybe cormier (would be his 6th year), so at the very least there should be more room at the midfield even with millon. but yes it's hard to see colsey making a significant impact until he's a junior, if ever

It all sounds like sour grapes from a program who wishes they could have added talent like that to their roster.
A program is a thing, not a person. So it’s “that,” “it” and “its.” Clearly you didn’t go to Duke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom