2023 USMNT | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023 USMNT

I thought the -3.5 over 5 were both light.. turns out I was correct for once.

I think a discerning coach would see that the roster has some promising young talent that is playing all over Europe.

There's the home-field advantage, of course, and the notoriety of making the US a player on the international stage. Imagine if you were the coach who brought the US to a World Cup semifinal!

And then there's the thought that you also get to contest the Copa America here in the US, too, and have high caliber South American competition to tune up for the big event.

For someone who might like to retire to the US, that might be a winning combination.
Conte?

We can dream.

Anybody hear anything on Balogun?
Seems like USA gave their pitch. Clearly he's not rated in England at the moment and the USA has a huge opportunity for him to come in and start at CF.

It will be interesting. Come play early with us or wait to play a few years at dream spot. Head vs heart.

I thought there was a lot of good work in the El Salvador game, especially in the 2nd half.
Weston McKennie is so dangerous in the box! He's become our Michael Essien, the 'Bison'.

Reyna looked much better in his second game, and I saw he and Pulisic try to share a couple moments on the pitch. Pepi took his chance, of course, and made a number of good runs afterwards.

Booth was promising, kind of like a version of Aaronson on the right wing with lots of energy and pretty good skill for a young guy.

Miles Robinson was terrific in his return, and Tim Ream has become a rock for us at the back.

People were pretty critical of the new kid from Mexico. He lost control a number of times in traffic, but he tries stuff. He's got a good creative spark. Hard to believe ESPN called him one of the worst players on the pitch; kinda harsh after a near hat-trick in his first appearance.

Antonee Robinson had poor control and turned it over quite a bit. Not one of his best games, but he played pretty good defense, I thought.

Is Eric Wynalda throwing his hat in the ring for head of US Men's soccer? I like him, personally. Speaks a lot of truth here.

He's probably not qualified to be the manager and he also has a lot of enemies everywhere in US Soccer. He's rough around the edges but I like a lot of his takes.

He's probably not qualified to be the manager and he also has a lot of enemies everywhere in US Soccer. He's rough around the edges but I like a lot of his takes.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting as the head coach, I was suggesting him for the Earnie Stewart role. He said some very pointed things about youth player development, what was done well before, and what needs to be done.

It will be interesting. Come play early with us or wait to play a few years at dream spot. Head vs heart.

There's no guarantee that he is Harry Kane's successor. Guys like Marcus Rashford and Raheem Sterling would also be in his way.

There's no guarantee that he is Harry Kane's successor. Guys like Marcus Rashford and Raheem Sterling would also be in his way.
There's some weird thing with England not always calling up players who play outside the PL. Jude Bellingham being the exception in recent times.

Agreed. Long list ahead of him right now. Interesting to watch it play out

I see Dike got hurt with an achilles injury yesterday. could be out for an extended period with that.

I see Dike got hurt with an achilles injury yesterday. could be out for an extended period with that.
I don't see him as someone the program can count on. Tremendous player but frequently hurt. Hoping the US lands Folarin Balogun soon

Anyone watching the USA - Mexico match tonight? If so, I am looking for an explanation as to why Jesus Ferreira is on the team.
Also, don’t think they are looking sharp at all right now. Too many new parts, new coach, very limited time together.
Thoughts?

Anyone watching the USA - Mexico match tonight? If so, I am looking for an explanation as to why Jesus Ferreira is on the team.
Also, don’t think they are looking sharp at all right now. Too many new parts, new coach, very limited time together.
Thoughts?
Not sure it was a good decision to stay up for this. First half was a snoozefest...

Thoughts?
The game was a friendly played at a time without a FIFA window. That means the players that play for pro teams in other countries are generally not going to be released to play. So the team was composed of mostly MSL players. Same applies to Mexico. Their best players also did not play.

Looks like the US got a late goal from Jesus to get a tie.

the 2nd half was really up and down lots of chances to score that didnt get completed on both sides.

The most interesting US soccer times coming up are:
2023 U-20 World Cup (Starts in May)
2024 Copa America
2024 Olympics (U23 Age Eligible and 1st US Appearance since 2008)

I am looking for an explanation as to why Jesus Ferreira is on the team.
Ferreira playing as a withdrawn striker whose primarily role is linking is not what he does. We saw that against the Netherlands. Playing between the lines not his strength.

The midfield trident of Sands, Acosta and Ferreira was never going to get it done.

When Yedlin and Morris are your most dangerous attacking duo, it is not a good sign.

Not an accident that team play improved immensely once Sonora came on. Finally had a distributor who is good with the ball in tight spaces. That, plus the fact that the invisible Cowell was subbed and Ferreira was moved up top. As good as he was against Serbia, he was non-existent tonight. Looking at the line-up and formation, I expected Cowell and Dest to be the true threat with Dest maurading down that left-hand flank. Never happened until the goal sequence and that was after Cowell had departed and Morris moved over to the left.

I am not a big Morris fan but he was best US player tonight.

They need a coach. I am concerned that the fact that they do not have one yet means they are having a tough time getting someone they want.

Regardless, have to have a coach in place, ideally with some time with the team, by the Nations League semi vs Mexico. No excuse for a temp coach for that game.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom