2023 USMNT | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2023 USMNT

Baby Yanks (U-20) into the Quarterfinals after an easy 4-0 win over New Zealand. Next game is Sunday at 5pm.

I would caution drawing any conclusions from youth results. It's all about how the players develop and their club careers.

I would be very happy with him going anywhere in Italy. I think it would be the right level for him. AC Milan has Olivier Giroud trying to recruit him, too. Tactically smart, but not brutally physical in bad weather - i.e., the nature of football in England.

I would like to see Adams and McKennie play in England, for selfish reasons (TV coverage). I think Aaronson is good enough to stay there, too. But they need to be on teams where they all will play. Adams and/or McKennie could be great for West Ham's midfield, for instance, if Rice is likely allowed to leave. They need some younger legs.

Aaronson could bring something interesting to Aston Villa, or a team like Leicester, had they not also gone down. Maybe Brentford, especially with Toney unavailable until January. Crystal Palace might be a good spot for him, too.

I would like to see Yunus Mussah move to Brighton, as I have recently heard. He'd be a nice replacement for Caicedo, who is going to be sold.
Brighton is such a well-run club I would love it if they found any USA player worthy of pursuing.

They remind me a bit of Porto and Monaco. Excellent scouting networks and player evaluations.

Sounds like Jesse Marsch may land the Monaco job. Are we just going to hire him to be our next USMNT coach? Seems likely at this point. Still can't believe they haven't done extensive searches and/or interviews for this job ahead of the World Cup. We should have a top guy on the job already.

Sounds like Jesse Marsch may land the Monaco job. Are we just going to hire him to be our next USMNT coach? Seems likely at this point. Still can't believe they haven't done extensive searches and/or interviews for this job ahead of the World Cup. We should have a top guy on the job already.
The leadership of USSF is abysmal. Nameless faces hiding behind bland statements and fall guys.

MLS is barely better. Soccer in this country is not remotely close to being optimized for actual success.

This group wasted so much time before the last World Cup, and apparently learned absolutely nothing, because here they are doing it again. Imagine if we had our actual coaches who were going to coach the team in the World Cup for these competitive tournaments. WTH is wrong with USMNT?

Real talk: Jose Mourinho should be the next manager:
Never managed a national team.
Will remain on good terms with players because he doesn't see them everyday.
Can still live in Europe most of the year.
Will tell the truth to US fans and players.
US Soccer needs another round of shakeups.

We've got most of our big names called in for this...
Excited to see Balogun.

U-20 team crashes out 2-0 to Uruguay in the Quarterfinals.

2nd goal was unlucky. Missed the first goal. Good showing up until today

The leadership of USSF is abysmal. Nameless faces hiding behind bland statements and fall guys.

MLS is barely better. Soccer in this country is not remotely close to being optimized for actual success.

American professional sports generally tolerate only a handful of teams actually competing to win.
US Sports could learn something from the rest of the world about relegation.
Relegation is actual, real competition with consequences.

It means that certain teams can't just sit back and lose year after year after year without risking the big TV contract money. American sports is like American politics. Mediocrity is rewarded and everything is ok, once you are "in the club".

Where would you relegate teams too? we dont have the fan support to deal with it and in many of these soccer leagues the tv money is handled much different than in the US.

But it would make things vastly different in college sports. Dont know how schedules would be handled but say you had something like 32 team leagues. some big time teams would be going down every year. Would schools even have a sport after 2-3 yrs losing all the tv money?

Where would you relegate teams too? we dont have the fan support to deal with it and in many of these soccer leagues the tv money is handled much different than in the US.

But it would make things vastly different in college sports. Dont know how schedules would be handled but say you had something like 32 team leagues. some big time teams would be going down every year. Would schools even have a sport after 2-3 yrs losing all the tv money?
I would argue MLS is only growing financially by charging exorbitant fees to join the league. Tons of American investors see European clubs as a better use of funds.

I would wager nobody has a clue about true fan support outside MLS because no clubs can make it to the top division. MLS barely engages the number one demographic of soccer in this country (Mexicans).

In baseball, which is probably the biggest offender, they should institute minimum salaries, minimum investments in facilities. I'd love to see the Kansas City Royals sent down to AAA for a season. It might teach them (and other cheap owners) a lesson.

Then though you have a billion dollar stadium with 2K sitting in it and no money to pay for it.

our funding model would have to change..

Just like college sports all those NIL deals down the toilet.

Our midfield defensively could be a problem against Mexico Thursday. Tyler Adams being out is a big loss, I do still think we’ll beat Mexico and go on to win the Nations League. This isn’t the strongest Mexico side we’ve gone against but the lack of defense in our midfield definitely makes it far from a sure thing.

U-20 team crashes out 2-0 to Uruguay in the Quarterfinals.
Uruguay won the whole thing.

Only game I saw of either team was this game so tough to draw definitive conclusions. Uruguay always tough to play against as they are typically organized, compact and tough to break down.

Having said that our strategy seemed to be get the ball to Cowell or Luna and hope one of them could make a play. Lots of hopeful long ball out of the back and very little interplay in the midfield. Without having watched more, tough to know if this was mostly caused by Uruguay or our inability to play through the midfield.

Uruguay won the whole thing.

Only game I saw of either team was this game so tough to draw definitive conclusions. Uruguay always tough to play against as they are typically organized, compact and tough to break down.

Having said that our strategy seemed to be get the ball to Cowell or Luna and hope one of them could make a play. Lots of hopeful long ball out of the back and very little interplay in the midfield. Without having watched more, tough to know if this was mostly caused by Uruguay or our inability to play through the midfield.
Uruguay did what the Netherlands did in the World Cup. Cede a bit of possession here and there knowing the USA isn't equipped to break down a good defensive block.

Maybe. Hard to say honestly.
I just can’t imagine anyone being able to be as lackluster tactically and from a substitution standpoint than GGG. Some of his decisions would just leave you scratching your head trying to figure out what he was trying to accomplish.