2023 USMNT | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2023 USMNT

Jamaica DID start 4 guys up front who all scored multiple goals in the Premier League last season. They are legit dangerous. They have some big guys in defense, too, and a terrific goal keeper.
As the game wore on I was pretty happy with Neal and Tolkin given who they were playing as 19 and 20 year olds. We seem to be churning out talented CBs these days. Maybe Tolkin can be the backup we need to Robinson.

I’m curious what you see in Busio… he didn’t do much with the ball besides circulate it to the wings or backwards and he was too skinny to really get a foot in defensively. He also got benched in Italy.

I’m willing to give zendejas another shot… he did do some good things.

Here are some highlights of him. He's #10 in the striped shirt.

Yep… there is some talent on the squad. Not sure why the coaches continuously start the usual retreads.
Need to start the best players not the same old.

They started 5 guys in the middle of the field who've never started before. That's half the outfield team.
Yes, 4 out of the back 5 guys were experienced, but you ought to do that in defense.

As the game wore on I was pretty happy with Neal and Tolkin given who they were playing as 19 and 20 year olds. We seem to be churning out talented CBs these days. Maybe Tolkin can be the backup we need to Robinson.

Neal made me hold my breath once or twice when he let balls bounce before trying to play them, with a Jamaican guy not too far away. You can't get away with that in Europe.

Last edited:
As far as club football, Busio and another American (Tanner Tessmann) both play for Venezia.

Tessmann emerged as the every match starter and Busio became a bench fixture. So it's surprising to see which of them is on this roster.

They started 5 guys in the middle of the field who've never started before. That's half the outfield team.
Yes, 4 out of the back 5 guys were experienced, but you ought to do that in defense.
I’m talking about Ferrera, Yedlin, Morris. You know what you are getting out of them at this point which is honestly not much. Vazquez Cowell and mihalovic were instant upgrades. Ferrera has proven time and time again to that he can’t score at even the concacrap level as a striker… he does good work but he can’t play the solo striker role. Yedlin is a disaster going forward at this point in his career and makes some interesting decisions on defense.

I’m talking about Ferrera, Yedlin, Morris. You know what you are getting out of them at this point which is honestly not much. Vazquez Cowell and mihalovic were instant upgrades. Ferrera has proven time and time again to that he can’t score at even the concacrap level as a striker… he does good work but he can’t play the solo striker role. Yedlin is a disaster going forward at this point in his career and makes some interesting decisions on defense.

Yedlin was good. Dest can't play every game.

Morris was OK, but sure you could make the case for the other guy who got the goal. However, Morris has experience, and has almost 20 goal involvements (goal or assist) in 52 USMNT games. That's not terrible.

Ferrera is only 22 years old, and he has 10 goals in 18 games in MLS this season. It's not like he's some "has been" who they rolled out there.

The European guys are on a different schedule. You can't play them for 3 more weeks this summer.

Morris was OK, but sure you could make the case for the other guy who got the goal. However, Morris has experience, and has almost 20 goal involvements (goal or assist) in 52 USMNT games. That's not terrible.

Ferrera is only 22 years old, and he has 10 goals in 18 games in MLS this season. It's not like he's some "has been" who they rolled out there.

The European guys are on a different schedule. You can't play them for 3 more weeks this summer.
It's not fair to Morris but I don't like him because he had the chance to go abroad (Werder Bremen) and chose to stay in MLS. Guys that aren't willing to test themselves to me can't raise their level when the opponent is top class.

The only issue with MLS is that it depends on a players mentality and if they can rise to the level.

Here’s the thing…. If the World Cup was tomorrow then I agree Yedlin and most probably Morris would be on the bus to wherever the opener is. But for the US to have a chance at a deep run we need to find players better than Morris and Yedlin. This means giving players like Cowell and Mihalovic chances. Fwiw I’m not sold on Cowell being better than Morris… he reminds me of another phenom who had bleach blonde mullet and crazy athleticism but just ran himself into corners. Can’t remember his name…

With regards to Ferrera… I’ve seen him with the nats, I’ve seen him in person with Dallas when they visit Austin… you spend about 90% of the game forgetting he’s on the pitch. To his he credit he scored against Austin, but the way he scored doesn’t translate outside of MLS because he wouldn’t get that type of space anywhere else. He’s basically a quad-a player for the usmnt. Kind of like it looks like Vientos might be for the Mets… except the difference is that Ferrera has had plenty of opportunities to price himself and has done very little with those chances.

I think Scally has already displaced Yedlin fwiw. We desperately need someone on this team to displace Luca del torre and we need backups for Weah and Pulisic.

He reminds me of another phenom who had bleach blonde mullet and crazy athleticism but just ran himself into corners. Can’t remember his name…
Clint Mathis?

Here’s the thing…. If the World Cup was tomorrow then I agree Yedlin and most probably Morris would be on the bus to wherever the opener is. But for the US to have a chance at a deep run we need to find players better than Morris and Yedlin. This means giving players like Cowell and Mihalovic chances. Fwiw I’m not sold on Cowell being better than Morris… he reminds me of another phenom who had bleach blonde mullet and crazy athleticism but just ran himself into corners. Can’t remember his name…

With regards to Ferrera… I’ve seen him with the nats, I’ve seen him in person with Dallas when they visit Austin… you spend about 90% of the game forgetting he’s on the pitch. To his he credit he scored against Austin, but the way he scored doesn’t translate outside of MLS because he wouldn’t get that type of space anywhere else. He’s basically a quad-a player for the usmnt. Kind of like it looks like Vientos might be for the Mets… except the difference is that Ferrera has had plenty of opportunities to price himself and has done very little with those chances.

I think Scally has already displaced Yedlin fwiw. We desperately need someone on this team to displace Luca del torre and we need backups for Weah and Pulisic.

Disagree on Cowell. He already has a much better first touch and better control than Morris.

Disagree on Cowell. He already has a much better first touch and better control than Morris.
He's a bit better for sure but still a classic "American" player. Long on athleticism but a bit short on technical quality. Would love to see him get to Europe soon so we can assess his appropriate level.

He's a bit better for sure but still a classic "American" player. Long on athleticism but a bit short on technical quality. Would love to see him get to Europe soon so we can assess his appropriate level.

He is definitely an American player but less so in terms of being like Morris.

He has pace but is direct and has more to work with technically than some think. He was at times impressive in tight spaces and can absolutely pick a pass. Morris has that pace and strength but without daylight around him he is a mess. This is where there is a sizable gap with Cowell.

Definitely needs to go the Euro route but I don't mind the blend of American with some skill especially if he has that touch in the box. To me he gives you the good things you hoped we would get from Morris but never did.

Tonights game in theory should be a blow out vs Kits. Lets see if that happens. But goals will matter in some way depending on how the TT/Jam game goes.

Tonights game in theory should be a blow out vs Kits. Lets see if that happens. But goals will matter in some way depending on how the TT/Jam game goes.
I'm not sure I can sit through the match tonight...

I’m curious what you see in Busio… he didn’t do much with the ball besides circulate it to the wings or backwards and he was too skinny to really get a foot in defensively. He also got benched in Italy.

I’m willing to give zendejas another shot… he did do some good things.

How ya feeling about Busio right now? First 15 minutes - 2 assists, great combination play and a couple terrific through passes, with "just the right touch". And then he gets a pretty good shot at goal. He's off to a terrific start tonight.

How ya feeling about Busio right now? First 15 minutes - 2 assists, great combination play and a couple terrific through passes, with "just the right touch". And then he gets a pretty good shot at goal. He's off to a terrific start tonight.

This is what I was looking for. His ability to control things in the midfield is what has him on the squad. Need to see more and against better opponents but so far his best match in a US kit.

Hoping the USSF gets more U23 camps together pre-Olympics. Busio is definitely in contention for that team.

Zendejas has a long ways to go. Hasn't looked good at all vs a weak opponent tonight.

Good stuff so far from Reynolds, Busio and Ferreira.

Zendejas has a long ways to go. Hasn't looked good at all vs a weak opponent tonight.

Good stuff so far from Reynolds, Busio and Ferreira.
A few thoughts:
- Zendejas has some fancy dribbling tricks up his sleeve, but he doesn't seem to be on the same page as his teammates.
- Cowell also didn't impress me much against a physically overmatched opponent... he needs a LOT of refinement. Right now he is a modern day Frankie Hejduk although Heydude might have had more quality than Cowell.
- Busio did pretty good... to his credit he took advantage of his opportunity. I hope he does it again against a better opponent
- Mihalovic seems to have the most quality on the team.. I'd like to see more of him
- Miazga made some really bone headed plays, again against a completely overmatched opponent.
- This is Ferrera's level and he dominated. But I still don't trust him to do anything versus a better team who can take away his space.

Good win for the US... they did what they needed to do against a glorified rec team. I'm not going to take too much away from this game

They made enough mistakes on D that a bit better effort probably gives up a couple.. On the other hand the chances to score 10+

Reynolds played well

Ferrera given space makes plays. Fastest to double digits does mean something. But he doesnt get that same space against better teams and struggles to finish when he does.. One thing he doesnt do is make his own space..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom