2023 USMNT | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2023 USMNT

To accompany my post-mortem on the Gold Cup (and the summer), here is my personal 25 man USMNT Roster.

I would like to see us play a 4-2-3-1, which I think would give us a bit more defensive shield against the better teams. But that means leaving out a good midfielder or a good attacker. This team has a lot of flexibility in terms of formations, and cover for people at other spots.

Here's my current A Team Roster, when everyone is healthy and fit.

Center Forward: (1) Folarin Balogun, (2) Ricardo Pepi

Left Wing: (1) Christian Pulisic, (2) Josh Sargeant

Number 10: (1) Gio Reyna, (2) Jesus Ferreira

Right Wing: (1) Tim Weah, (2) Brendan Aaronson

Left Defensive Midfielder: (1) Tyler Adams, (2) Yunus Musah, (3) James Sands

Right Defensive Midfielder: (1) Weston McKennie, (2) Gianluca Busio

Left Back: (1) Antonee Robinson, (2) DeJuan Jones / Shaq Moore

Left Center Back: (1) Tim Ream, (2) Chris Richards / Mark McKenzie / Jalen Neal

Right Center Back: (1) Walker Zimmerman, (2) Miles Robinson

Right Back: (1) Sergino Dest, (2) Bryan Reynolds, (3) DeAndre Yedlin, (4) Joe Scally

Goal Keeper: (1) Matt Turner, (2) Zach Steffen, (3) Ethan Horvath

Your thoughts? There are a LOT of good players in our squad.

CF: Balogun, Pepi, Sargeant

AM/W: Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson, Tillman, Ferreira

CM: Adams, Musah, McKennie, De la Torre, Cardoso

RB: Dest, Reynolds

RCB: Robinson, Carter-Vickers

LCB: Richards, Ream

LB: Robinson, Scally

GK: Turner, Horvath, Steffan

CF: Balogun, Pepi, Sargeant

AM/W: Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson, Tillman, Ferreira

CM: Adams, Musah, McKennie, De la Torre, Cardoso

RB: Dest, Reynolds

RCB: Robinson, Carter-Vickers

LCB: Richards, Ream

LB: Robinson, Scally

GK: Turner, Horvath, Steffan

I honestly haven't been impressed with de la Torre. I don't recall Johnny Cardoso playing for us. I see that he has 7 caps, but I just don't have any memory of him.

Scally is naturally a RB, not a LB, so I'd rather stick with someone who regularly plays the position.

Well, some character building for the new group of players at the Gold Cup.
Disappointed with the loss, naturally. But I'm not sure that this team was good enough top-to-bottom to win it, if we're being honest.

In goal, Matt Turner with another penalty save that gave us some hope, but it was really his error that gave up the goal, by coming out too far to try to steal that long ball. He would have done better to just make his body big, and make the guy shoot around him. Turner did have the yips a few times in this game, after being pretty outstanding throughout the rest of the tournament.

On defense, this team was never the same after Jalen Neal, the 19 year old, got hurt in the group stage. He was our best central defender, although Coach Callaghan did them no favors by playing, I believe, 4 different center back pairings in 5 games.

Aaron Long was poor, especially in the first half when he faced planted while trying to get back to defend a Panama fast break.

Miles Robinson never showed us his best throughout the tournament. Yes, he is recovering from injury and had to be nursed through his minutes. But he was careless with the ball a lot. Yes, the fields were dry and played slow, but he was worse than others.

MIazga was poor earlier in the tournament, but had a pretty good game coming off the bench against Panama.

DeJuan Jones was better in the group stage than he was in the knock out rounds. The coach probably wanted him to remain solid and not take too many chances. He's a quality player, though. We'll see more of him in the coming years. He seems the best candidate to back up Antonee Robinson, at this point, probably, over Reggie Cannon and Shaq Moore.

Sergino Dest generally had a good tournament in the Nations League, and should hold down the starting spot. But Bryan Reynolds was a big discovery, even if he did wear down a bit by his 5th game in 2 1/2 weeks. I think DeAndre Yedlin is a very good veteran to keep in the mix. He's especially useful when you want to see out a game.

In midfield, James Sands had a terrific tournament. He got over-run a bit by Jamaica in the first game, but grew into the squad and was a midfield anchor by the end, with the most interceptions and break-ups of anyone in the squad. We are deep in midfield, but if someone gets hurt, he's a solid guy to have at the DM spot. The new "Kellyn Acosta" kind of guy to have on the roster.

Some people questioned how good Gianluca Busio was coming into this tournament. I think we got a really good look at him. He is calm in possession, and can either play in deep midfield to set the pace of the offense and help advance it from the center backs. Or he can play more forward on the right side of a midfield three. He makes really good through passes, has nice touch on the ball, and is very composed. Some might say that he could work harder on defense, and maybe he could be in better condition. But he did play the majority of minutes for 5 games and also became an anchor on this squad. He's not a starter in our Best 11, but he should make a 23 or 25 man roster.

Djordje Mihailovic is an MLS caliber of player. He had some good moments, but he also had a lot of stray passes. Again, the fields were dry and slow and not very good. But everyone played on the bad pitches, not just him. He doesn't make the squad on the A team.

In the attack, Jesus Ferreira got "a goal that mattered" to tie the game late versus Panama, and his 7 goals were supplemented by some excellent link-up play, as he dropped into midfield to find the game. I think he has a great nose for the ball, and knows how to find open spaces.

At 5-9, with quick thinking and quick reactions, he strikes me as the kind of smaller attacking forward that you would play off a target man in a traditional 4-4-2. He's a Chicarito kind of player up front. And that's sort of what Callaghan did by starting both him and Brandon Vazquez vs. Panama. Panama had 2/3 of the first half possession, so Vazquez never really got into this game.

Vaquez showed that he can score off the bench against tired players (much like Cade Cowell). He didn't show that he's any better than Ricardo Pepi, Darryl Dike, Jordan Pefok or even Josh Sergeant. I'm not too impressed, although I guess I should be more forgiving since the guy scored 3 goals off the bench in 4 relief appearances.

People who failed their auditions: Alan Soñora, Aidan Morris, Alex Zendejas. We'll see Zendejas again relatively soon, because he has some skills, but we might not see the other 2 for quite some time.

Jordan Morris and Julian Dressel didn't do very much to make me feel like we have to include them on future rosters, unless none of the European guys are available in that window.
I have been out of the country for the last couple of weeks so have not seen the lead up games. As a result, I am looking at this game in a vacuum and will be making a bunch of assumptions.

My first assumption is that the cumulative minutes from prior games impacted this game. We simply looked a step slow all game and we committed a lot of really bad turnovers all game long. To me that looked like heavy legs from minutes logged. Am I wrong about that?

While Holden kept focusing on the space behind the wingers and in front of the backs (and I agree there was a lot of it), the bigger issue for me was the number of times Panamanian midfielders were able to receive the ball in the middle third and turn and go. This then allowed the ball to be spread wide or to run at us. So, to me, the biggest issue was the lack of pressure by our midfield on their midfield. Busio and Mikahlovic (sp) were bypassed far too easily and Sands simply doesn't cover enough ground and is not strong enough to make up for that. The lack of our physicality in midfield was a real issue yesterday.

As was the fact that neither Cowell nor Ferreira dropped back to help. Nor did Reynolds or Jones really try to get forward This created all the space on the wings. This may have been tactical but the combination of the three made for a really bad first half.

I think the subs in the second half really helped to make the game more balanced.

I believe this was Panama's A team versus what was, in effect, our B\C team.

As Orangezoo pointed out, we had a ton of youth and inexperience on the field and it showed. One thing about a young team. They have no idea how to manage a game. They just go-go-go and late in a tournament under those conditions that is a very hard thing to do.

This game could have gone either way and penalty shootouts are always a crap shoot. This time we lost.

Looking forward to seeing Musah and Pulisic at Milan and Weah at Juve. Hopefully, they can get on the field.

I honestly haven't been impressed with de la Torre. I don't recall Johnny Cardoso playing for us. I see that he has 7 caps, but I just don't have any memory of him.

Scally is naturally a RB, not a LB, so I'd rather stick with someone who regularly plays the position.
Euro based guys I'm keeping tabs on: Tanner Tessmann, Auston Trusty, Mark McKenzie, Taylor Booth, Sam Vines.

All guys who played a ton last season with their clubs and I hope start to level up. Booth IMO is going to be a key backup winger very soon.

Matt Turner signs for Nottingham Forest in a transfer from Arsenal for 10M.

Defender Austin Trusty, former Colorado MLS player and current Arsenal player, moves to Sheffield United, after spending the last 2 summers on loan at Birmingham City, where he was their player of the year last season. One to keep an eye on.

Chelsea seem to be getting close to signing Tyler Adams in MF for around 20-25M.

Matt Turner signs for Nottingham Forest in a transfer from Arsenal for 10M.

Defender Austin Trusty, former Colorado MLS player and current Arsenal player, moves to Sheffield United, after spending the last 2 summers on loan at Birmingham City, where he was their player of the year last season. One to keep an eye on.

Chelsea seem to be getting close to signing Tyler Adams in MF for around 20-25M.
What do you make of Adams at CFC? He's basically the backup 6 right? Tbh was kind of hoping Liverpool would strike out on other targets and be forced to get him. I think his pressing would have been good for Klopp.

Team’s going nowhere with this clown head coach

What do you make of Adams at CFC? He's basically the backup 6 right? Tbh was kind of hoping Liverpool would strike out on other targets and be forced to get him. I think his pressing would have been good for Klopp.
Chelsea seems to have bought a dozen players this offseason after buying a dozen last year. I think they want Adams to fill the Kante role. He’s good enough to start but that club is a dumpster fire.

The problem is that they're signing too many guys for the same position again.

I thought having Enzo & the Brazilian kid, Andrey Santos, were good anchors, although you also want to see a big physical guy as an option back there, too.

I like Adams, and he was one of the very elite defensive midfielders at Leeds last year, from a defensive interventions perspective. Going forward, he didn't turn it over, but he also didn't create very much.

That's where Moises Caicedo kind of separates himself - he's a 95th percentile level defensive midfielder, but he also offers so much as a ball carrier and passing forward. He even chips in with occasional goals and assists.

But then they added the defensive monster Oguchukwu from France (I was thinking maybe the Onana from Everton, a big defensive midfielder who is mobile), so ok, that's their choice there. Get one where you can close the deal without breaking the bank.

Bringing in Tyler Adams, too, along with Caicedo (who is ver close to a move) and Oguchukwu (who appears to be staying with the club), that seems like Adams is surplus to requirements.

PLUS they just put in a 48M bid on Romeo Lavia, ahead of Liverpool (who are now trying to disrupt Chelsea finally closing on Caicedo, as a result of that Lavia bid).

So, it's all twisted, but they are adding too many players again.

If I'm Tyler Adams, I don't want to get loaned to Strasbourg in France for a year. I'd rather sign with someone like West Ham, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Brighton, etc. A nice midtable team that plays good football, where you will be counted on in the squad.

The problem is that they're signing too many guys for the same position again.

I thought having Enzo & the Brazilian kid, Andrey Santos, were good anchors, although you also want to see a big physical guy as an option back there, too.

I like Adams, and he was one of the very elite defensive midfielders at Leeds last year, from a defensive interventions perspective. Going forward, he didn't turn it over, but he also didn't create very much.

That's where Moises Caicedo kind of separates himself - he's a 95th percentile level defensive midfielder, but he also offers so much as a ball carrier and passing forward. He even chips in with occasional goals and assists.

But then they added the defensive monster Oguchukwu from France (I was thinking maybe the Onana from Everton, a big defensive midfielder who is mobile), so ok, that's their choice there. Get one where you can close the deal without breaking the bank.

Bringing in Tyler Adams, too, along with Caicedo (who is ver close to a move) and Oguchukwu (who appears to be staying with the club), that seems like Adams is surplus to requirements.

PLUS they just put in a 48M bid on Romeo Lavia, ahead of Liverpool (who are now trying to disrupt Chelsea finally closing on Caicedo, as a result of that Lavia bid).

So, it's all twisted, but they are adding too many players again.

If I'm Tyler Adams, I don't want to get loaned to Strasbourg in France for a year. I'd rather sign with someone like West Ham, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Brighton, etc. A nice midtable team that plays good football, where you will be counted on in the squad.
Yeah Chelsea seems like a bad landing spot. Oh well.

Yeah Chelsea seems like a bad landing spot. Oh well.

He would have been fine with Caicedo, if the French guy had been sent out on loan. But it looks like they are going to sign too many guys again, for the third window in a row, and despite all those sales they made at the beginning of the summer (over 200M worth).

He would have been fine with Caicedo, if the French guy had been sent out on loan. But it looks like they are going to sign too many guys again, for the third window in a row, and despite all those sales they made at the beginning of the summer (over 200M worth).
If I was sporting director of a pl mid-table team or top team from a non-england country I would continually buy the players they hoard.

Luca Koleosho started for Burnley tonight against Man City playing winger. At 18 years old. He is eligible to play for USA, Italy, or Canada.

For those who get The Athletic (highly recommended for their British-based football coverage), this is their US Men's National Team "Tracker" article that they will be running every week or so. I really like seeing that Tim Weah is off to a good start at Juve, and obviously Pulisic is lighting it up already at Milan.

Continuing in the French league should help with his further development, and Monaco is a very solidly-run side. They always do well to develop and sell talent for big prices,

Should be no issues with getting plenty of run too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom