2024-25 Schedule | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2024-25 Schedule

FINALLY

Happy Brain GIF

So the OOC schedule is pretty much set?

We're just waiting for the ACC schedule to release next month?

So the OOC schedule is pretty much set?

We're just waiting for the ACC schedule to release next month?
Correct.

One nice thing about adding 3 schools to the ACC is that the number of teams in the league for hoops goes from an odds number (15) to an even one (18).

Having an odds number of teams is not cool because it means once conference play starts, someone is without a game each weekend. That happened to Syracuse the last weekend of the regular season last season.

The big gap between games played might have played a role in the early exit by SU in the ACC tournament.

It will be interesting to see who SU gets for the final game of the regular season, and whether it is at home or not.

I am guessing we play Pitt in the dome the final weekend of the regular season.

Last edited:
at SMU (Moody Coliseum) come on down peeps.
It is possible.

Again, hoping we play at SMU, Stanford and Cal all on one road trip. The ACC should not ask any existing ACC school to travel west of the Mississippi more than once in a season.

IMHO.

Hoping we play all three of these in early January as part of one road trip. Since classes are not in session then, this would not result in any missed classes.

This is the first thing I am going to look for when the schedule is announced. That ans the number of home games on weekends.

It is possible.

Again, hoping we play at SMU, Stanford and Cal all on one road trip. The ACC should not ask any existing ACC school to travel west of the Mississippi more than once in a season.

IMHO.

Hoping we play all three of these in early January as part of one road trip. Since classes are not in session then, this would not result in any missed classes.

This is the first thing I am going to look for when the schedule is announced. That ans the number of home games on weekends.
Similarly, they should also try to give the Western teams as few trips East as possible.

The ACC often seems to do backflips to protect the North Carolina teams, including with scheduling. I sure hope they do this right. The kids do have classes to attend, making the Western teams take 5 hour flights round trips twice a week would be rotten.

And also absolutely within the ACC wheelhouse.

I fully expect Syracuse to make at least two separate trips west, just because the ACC hates that they need us.

You want to play Stanford on a Saturday, Cal on a Monday/Tuesday, and SMU the following Saturday?

Why don't we schedule the A's, the Angels, and the Astros while were at it.

You want to play Stanford on a Saturday, Cal on a Monday/Tuesday, and SMU the following Saturday?

Why don't we schedule the A's, the Angels, and the Astros while were at it.
No, more like SMU Thursday, Stanford Saturday and Cal Monday. It will isn’t great but I think it will be easier in the players than having to go west and do the time adjustment thing, deal with fatigue, etc twice in a season.

It would be especially bad to have to go west a couple times while classes are in session.

One thing is a given, playing the Cali teams will be done in one weekend. UVa and VPI both are away for the Cali teams and UNC and Duke host them. Plus we have the rotating home-and-home with SMU, so both teams get to "enjoy" the trip. IIRC the Cali teams and SMU are permanent home-and-homes.

Really need to play Texas and TTU in Brooklyn for our non-con SOS. Joes will end up with meh numbers at best because they have the worst coach in the country.

Maryland has a wide range of outcomes this season. Colgate and Cornell will prob take steps back this season. But could see both having upside. Penguins won't be what they have been the last couple years without Calhoun. Albany prob has a dead coach walking. Bucknell stinks. Georgetown stinks (haha).

Need to go at least 2-2 against Texas, TTU, Tennessee and Maryland and not drop anything else and I'd be feeling really good going into ACC play.

It is possible.

IMHO.

Hoping we play all three of these in early January as part of one road trip. Since classes are not in session then,
this would not result in any missed classes.

Remember, Cal and Stanford use a quarter system, so they will be in session at different times than most of the rest of the league

Remember, Cal and Stanford use a quarter system, so they will be in session at different times than most of the rest of the league
True. I think that is why we are playing Stanford in Syracuse early, before their classes start. When we eventually play Cal in Syracuse, I bet that game will also be played in the first couple weeks of the season, before their classes start. I checked and it looks like SMU has a schedule similar to SU, so we could see SMU travel here for football pretty much any time.

But this dicussion is about when Syracuse plays the western teams out west.

Since Syracuse is traveling, their academic schedule is the one that is pertinent. The kids from SMU, Cal and Stanford will presumably not miss class to play home games. Stanford's winter quarter starts on 1/6. I assume Cal has a similar set up. So they might well have started classes but as long as Syracuse hasn't, games in Cali in early January should be good.

The first day of classes for SU for spring 2025 is Monday, January 13th.

Really need to play Texas and TTU in Brooklyn for our non-con SOS. Joes will end up with meh numbers at best because they have the worst coach in the country.

Maryland has a wide range of outcomes this season. Colgate and Cornell will prob take steps back this season. But could see both having upside. Penguins won't be what they have been the last couple years without Calhoun. Albany prob has a dead coach walking. Bucknell stinks. Georgetown stinks (haha).

Need to go at least 2-2 against Texas, TTU, Tennessee and Maryland and not drop anything else and I'd be feeling really good going into ACC play.

Tenn has pre season momentum but could take a step back this year too.

Obviously, California and Stanford need to be played on one trip. It'd be nice to include SMU on that trip, but I don't see it as a huge deal if it's one-off trip for that game.

Syracuse to Dallas is a 3.5 hour flight time according to the Google. Miami is a 3 hours and South Bend is 3 hrs 15 minutes so we've had similar trips before.

I think the powers that be crossed that bridge about caring about academics and being in class when conferences began crossing the country to begin with. Stanford and California were both horrible with losing records last year and SMU had a similar record as us, but in the AAC. Just take care of business with no excuses and let's get back to the program we used to be.

Obviously, California and Stanford need to be played on one trip. It'd be nice to include SMU on that trip, but I don't see it as a huge deal if it's one-off trip for that game.

Syracuse to Dallas is a 3.5 hour flight time according to the Google. Miami is a 3 hours and South Bend is 3 hrs 15 minutes so we've had similar trips before.

I think the powers that be crossed that bridge about caring about academics and being in class when conferences began crossing the country to begin with. Stanford and California were both horrible with losing records last year and SMU had a similar record as us, but in the AAC. Just take care of business with no excuses and let's get back to the program we used to be.
Players choosing to go to Cal, Stanford and SMU are choosing every single conference road trip being a slog with five hour flights and living almost their entire season in hotels 3 time zones from their home.

That is bound to hurt recruiting. I think it's unlikely they are good very often.

The ACC just imported their new perennial bottom dwellers in basketball.

Players choosing to go to Cal, Stanford and SMU are choosing every single conference road trip being a slog with five hour flights and living almost their entire season in hotels 3 time zones from their home.

That is bound to hurt recruiting. I think it's unlikely they are good very often.

I would think the travel impacts basketball move than any other sport. It will be impressive to see if these programs can be successful in the ACC in hoops. Stanford's women's basketball program in particular is very good.

I think 2024-25 will be looked at as the year of the great migration and we could see a bunch of new schools get to conference championship games and possibly even win P4 conferences.

I looked at one odds site for the B1G odds. They had Ohio State as the favorite with Oregon a close second.

Utah is the favorite in the decimated B12. They are expected to come in and dominate that deleaguered conference from day 1.

Georgia is the favorite to win the SEC but newcomer Texas has the second best odds.

The only P4 conference where the oddsmakers do not see a newbie contending for the title is the ACC, where SMU is usually expected to finish around 7th or 8th in the conference.

Wouldn't it be something if Oregon won the B1G, Utah won the B12, and Cal won the ACC? And Texas, who almost as a PAC12 team, wins the SEC? What a shame the Pac12 died and the slimey B12 lives.

I am really interested to see how all the Pac12 schools do in their new conferences. In football and basketball. Thinking they will be a lot more successful in football than hoops.

I would think the travel impacts basketball move than any other sport. It will be impressive to see if these programs can be successful in the ACC in hoops. Stanford's women's basketball program in particular is very good.

I think 2024-25 will be looked at as the year of the great migration and we could see a bunch of new schools get to conference championship games and possibly even win P4 conferences.

I looked at one odds site for the B1G odds. They had Ohio State as the favorite with Oregon a close second.

Utah is the favorite in the decimated B12. They are expected to come in and dominate that deleaguered conference from day 1.

Georgia is the favorite to win the SEC but newcomer Texas has the second best odds.

The only P4 conference where the oddsmakers do not see a newbie contending for the title is the ACC, where SMU is usually expected to finish around 7th or 8th in the conference.

Wouldn't it be something if Oregon won the B1G, Utah won the B12, and Cal won the ACC? And Texas, who almost as a PAC12 team, wins the SEC? What a shame the Pac12 died and the slimey B12 lives.

I am really interested to see how all the Pac12 schools do in their new conferences. In football and basketball. Thinking they will be a lot more successful in football than hoops.
I think the travel thing is a bit overblown. I was teaching at WVU during their first year in the Big 12, and that included working with the AD's academics staff to assist some of the athletes in my courses. The first semester was a bit rough figuring out and getting used to the new logistics, but after that everyone adjusted. It;'ll be tougher on Cal and Stanford for sure, but a lot of these kids have aspirations of going pro, and coast to coast travel is part of the game.

It'll be interesting to see if it has much of an effect, especially late-season.

Have to disagree here. The travel will be down the list of reasons why Cal and Stanford didn't get a recruit. SMU played in the Atlantic, tied for 5th 11-7 in conference and 20-13 overall. That conference had 2 teams in Florida, 2 in North Carolina, Temple, Memphis, and UAB. That's a bit of traveling. Again, if they don't get a recruit, the travel will be down the list of reasons. I think SMU is in a great position for both football and basketball to pick up better recruits than the have in the past since they're now in a top conference.

Have to disagree here. The travel will be down the list of reasons why Cal and Stanford didn't get a recruit. SMU played in the Atlantic, tied for 5th 11-7 in conference and 20-13 overall. That conference had 2 teams in Florida, 2 in North Carolina, Temple, Memphis, and UAB. That's a bit of traveling. Again, if they don't get a recruit, the travel will be down the list of reasons. I think SMU is in a great position for both football and basketball to pick up better recruits than the have in the past since they're now in a top conference.
SMU's wealthy donors can back up the brink's truck, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them become a lot better. They're energized about being in a power conference too.

SMU's wealthy donors can back up the brink's truck, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them become a lot better. They're energized about being in a power conference too.
Amen to that. You can see it in just about every post on their board (ponyfans.com). Back in the Day, SMU's wealthy donors funded a version of NIL before the NCAA allowed the funding of any sort of NIL. They paid the heaviest price for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom