2024 MLB Season | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2024 MLB Season

There are some other equally-bad umpires in MLB. Some have worse ball/strike accuracy ratings. Some have a quicker trigger.

But nobody combined the two quite like Angel. And few were around as long.

You mean like Joe West?

My Joe West story. Early to mid 90's, the Expos were playing the Padres I believe.

9th inning, Expos hit a sac fly for the walk off win... or so the Expos think, the fans think, and the Padres think. Everybody leaves the field and the umps start exiting- except for Joe West. A fair amount of time has passed since the game "ended", and Joe West remains stationed at 3rd base.

As the Padres are packing their gear on the bench, somebody notices West standing out there... the pitcher and 3rd baseman, rush to retrieve the "game" ball from the home plate ump leaving the field, and then complete an appeal play at 3rd base. The Expos runner is called out. Expos lose in Extras. Expos announcer I was listening to, Roger Brulotte IIRC, loses his damn mind.

As the Padres had left the field, it was absurd that Joe West remains standing out there to get their attention.

Last edited:

I am okay with it. It is up to us to provide context for our grandkids.
Maybe the NFL should add the USFL stats to its record books.Makes zero sense to try and change history, MLB is trying to do just that.

Maybe the NFL should add the USFL stats to its record books.Makes zero sense to try and change history, MLB is trying to do just that.
I like it as a miniscule form of retribution. Because you excluded black players for so long, you now have a confusing record book.

Also, by most accounts, the Negro leagues were much closer in quality to MLB than the USFL was to the NFL.

I like it as a miniscule form of retribution. Because you excluded black players for so long, you now have a confusing record book.

Also, by most accounts, the Negro leagues were much closer in quality to MLB than the USFL was to the NFL.
Like I said it’s ridiculous to try and change history, MLB was wrong to not allow blacks to play in their league and nothing they do now is going to undo that wrong.

Like I said it’s ridiculous to try and change history, MLB was wrong to not allow blacks to play in their league and nothing they do now is going to undo that wrong.
It’s not changing history. They are just keeping data together.

Buck Leonard once said that he estimated that the Negro Leagues were about the equivalent of Triple A. But consider that the white major leagues at the time also might have been the equivalent of Triple A and that, at the time, Triple A was independent and full of cities that eventually got major league teams. They weren't what Triple A is now. (I've thought for years that outstanding players who played in the "high minors" before the war should be considered for the Hall of Fame, as they would have been star major leaguers in our era.) Maybe MLB should just start the stats from 1947, when the leagues got integrated and the minor leagues became truly minor.

Buck Leonard once said that he estimated that the Negro Leagues were about the equivalent of Triple A. But consider that the white major leagues at the time also might have been the equivalent of Triple A and that, at the time, Triple A was independent and full of cities that eventually got major league teams. They weren't what Triple A is now. (I've thought for years that outstanding players who played in the "high minors" before the war should be considered for the Hall of Fame, as they would have been star major leaguers in our era.) Maybe MLB should just start the stats from 1947, when the leagues got integrated and the minor leagues became truly minor.
This has nothing to do with talent level, MLB is trying to cleanse itself from the ban of blacks to play in it’s league.Look up the piece Howard Bryant wrote on this a couple years ago .

I am cool with MLB doing all it can to acknowledge and own sins of the past.
It’s a farce what they are doing, they want you to think they are truly sorry but in all reality they are trying to erase what they did.

It’s a farce what they are doing, they want you to think they are truly sorry but in all reality they are trying to erase what they did.
How is providing access to data a farce? You are still free to filter and sort that data however you choose.

To be fair, these aren’t the guys with which we should be angry.

How is providing access to data a farce? You are still free to filter and sort that data however you choose.

To be fair, these aren’t the guys with which we should be angry.

If you are truly sorry, you try to erase what you did. It's like a recovering alcoholic going around saying he is sorry to all the people he hurt.

The reasons for the different leagues, and thus the different treatment as history, is a stark contrast.
We combine AL and NL stats under one umbrella even though different players may never play in the parks or face the same opponents.
It would also be hard to argue that the overall play was inferior.
Also, it’s just a game. It makes no difference to anyone’s life, other than the families of the players.

Trivia Time

Who are the only two MLB players to have finished top 3 in MVP voting, 3 separate times the last 5 years (2019-2023)? Research not permitted.

Trivia Time

Who are the only two MLB players to have finished top 3 in MVP voting, 3 separate times the last 5 years (2019-2023)? Research not permitted.
Wild guess- Trout, Betts and Judge.

Wild guess- Trout, Betts and Judge.

Good guesses, but none of them.
Judge has had a #1, #4, #15
Betts has had a #2, #2, #5
Trout has had a #1, #5, #8

One of them should be a relatively easy one.
The second guy is not easy... even if its very recent. (the reason I did the question)

Good guesses, but none of them.
Judge has had a #1, #4, #15
Betts has had a #2, #2, #5
Trout has had a #1, #5, #8

One of them should be a relatively easy one.
The second guy is not easy... even if its very recent. (the reason I did the question)
I'll take another stab at it - Harper, Freeman and Altuve?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom