2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

Why demote Scott?
The Mets suddenly have a glut of starting pitchers.

I think they want to feature the veterans for the next month or two to give opposing teams an extended look at them in hopes they can get good trade value for one or two of these guys.

By the end of the trade deadline, I suspect we will see Scott back in New York. Maybe Butto too. For now, some of Scott’s weaknesses were exposed.

He can work on them at the AAA level and hopefully be even better positioned when he returns to the Mets.

(From The Athletic)

Picture1.jpg
The Mets are Mets-ing again

There is futility, and then there is the Mets’ existence. That may sound overly simplistic and harsh, but any Mets fan will tell you the same. The fruitlessness — no matter what the team tries — keeps happening over and over again.

Yesterday’s extremely Mets incident — which saw reliever Jorge López get ejected, throw his glove into the crowd, say afterward he was the “worst teammate” on the “worst team in the whole f—ing MLB” before getting demoted — is another entry in the misery database.

It was also further exposed the bigger problems in the “new” era of Mets baseball:
  • Over the last two years, the Mets and new owner Steve Cohen have seemingly done what you’re supposed to do: invest money in star players. Cohen has done it more than any other MLB owner, spending hundreds of millions to capitalize on a championship window.
  • The window might have been a mirage. A magical 2022 season produced a 101-60 record and … an opening-round loss to the Padres. But hey, things were trending upward, right?
  • Bzzt. Wrong. Injuries cursed last season, which ended with a 75-87 record. This year is much of the same: the Mets are currently 23-33, 5.5 games out of a wild-card spot. No matter what new boss David Stearns says, contending this year looks unlikely.
  • What’s worse: the Mets have the highest payroll in baseball this year ($307.8 million) for the oldest roster in baseball (average age 30.6). They also led MLB in payroll last year ($343 million).
There is a glimmer of hope, both for Mets fans and baseball fans at large: new ace Kodai Senga should make his debut at some point this summer, though his cryptic comments about his ongoing rehab are cause for concern.

Nothing can be normal with this team. Go Mets?

Driving home from the Smets game, listening to the post-game show. They say the Mets have come back from a 0-3 deficit to take a 4-3 lead and its the top of the ninth.

I pull into the driveway, bound into the house to watch the ending and...

Marte had a great series. I just wish it was our Marte. :(

Driving home from the Smets game, listening to the post-game show. They say the Mets have come back from a 0-3 deficit to take a 4-3 lead and its the top of the ninth.

I pull into the driveway, bound into the house to watch the ending and...

Marte had a great series. I just wish it was our Marte. :(
Steve, you may need to consider a self imposed break on watching the Mets live. So many brutal games. Must end soon…..

New York Mets owe a staggering amount of dead money in 2024, higher than Oakland A’s payroll​

Basically, it's about Scherzer and Verlander.

I'm optimistic enough to presume that players are always giving their best but sometimes I think they don't know what their best is, or what's necessary to maintain their position in the big leagues. Baty had third base handed to him at the beginning of the season and was batting .225/.304/.325 when he was sent down. Vientos is hitting .339/.400/.645 in his place and I saw Baty hit two 420 foot home runs in Sunday's Smets game. I think he got the message.

I'm optimistic enough to presume that players are always giving their best but sometimes I think they don't know what their best is, or what's necessary to maintain their position in the big leagues. Baty had third base handed to him at the beginning of the season and was batting .225/.304/.325 when he was sent down. Vientos is hitting .339/.400/.645 in his place and I saw Baty hit two 420 foot home runs in Sunday's Smets game. I think he got the message.
Again, Baty basically skipped the AAA level coming through the Met system. Only played 32 games at that level until he was recently sent down. Vientos played over 200 AAA games. Baty did not have anywhere close to as much high level experience playing pro ball and it showed.

Hopefully he spends most of the summer in Syracuse, gains an appreciation for salt potatoes and chicken riggies, meets a nice girl from CNY and has a great summer on and off the field.

And then gets called up and plays like he is capable of playing.

I think Vientos is the fall back at 1B if management decides to trade Pete or let him walk. In a weird way, how Baty handles AAA this time around might play a big role in whether the Mets let Pete go or commit to him long term.

If Brett kills it here, they have the option of putting Brett at 3B and Mark at 1B and paying at or near the league minimum for two power positions (they would actually also be doing with with Alarez at catcher). Acuna is really coming on and appears to be a legit talent not too far from being a factor in the big leagues. At 2B or in CF, where Syracuse is playing him increasingly.

By this time next year, we could see 4 young players all starting at key positions for the Mets. I think Igelsias is close to taking over for McNeil right now (though he is probably more of a short term solution).

If you want to sign Soto and a big name starting pitcher like say Max Fried, this is how to free up enough payroll to make the penalties for going over the cap fairly manageable.

If we see the Mets deal McNeil and/Alonso soon, I think this is what is driving it.

Hate to lose Pete but if it allows the Mets to sign Soto, it might be for the best.

As always, it will be interesting to see how things unfold. It is sometimes painful and always interesting to be a Mets fan. ;)

I decided to figure out the ERA's of the Mets' bullpen 1) prior to this season / 2) In April / 3) since April, using my unimpressive math skills. I limited it to pitcher who have not started but have appeared in at least 5 games.

Edwin Diaz 2.93/2.53/8.68
Reed Garrett 7.14/1.15/5.28
Jorge Lopez 5.53/1.76/6.00
Adam Ottavino 3.42/1.69/9.75
Jake Diekman 3.82/3.86/4.36
Sean Reid-Foley 4.58/0.00/2.84
Josh Walker 6.45/0.00/6.75
Drew Smith 3.53/2.70/0.00
Michael Tonkin 4.37/4.63/1.45
Yohan Ramirez 3.99/9.58/2.53

Diaz and Ottavino ahve bene the big blow-ups. Garrett, Lopez and Walker merely returned to normal. Diekman is Diekman. Smith and Reed Foley are pretty good. Tonkin and Ramirez got off to bad starts but are pitching well right now. (Tonkin's start was actually close to his norm.)

I decided to figure out the ERA's of the Mets' bullpen 1) prior to this season / 2) In April / 3) since April, using my unimpressive math skills. I limited it to pitcher who have not started but have appeared in at least 5 games.

Edwin Diaz 2.93/2.53/8.68
Reed Garrett 7.14/1.15/5.28
Jorge Lopez 5.53/1.76/6.00
Adam Ottavino 3.42/1.69/9.75
Jake Diekman 3.82/3.86/4.36
Sean Reid-Foley 4.58/0.00/2.84
Josh Walker 6.45/0.00/6.75
Drew Smith 3.53/2.70/0.00
Michael Tonkin 4.37/4.63/1.45
Yohan Ramirez 3.99/9.58/2.53

Diaz and Ottavino ahve bene the big blow-ups. Garrett, Lopez and Walker merely returned to normal. Diekman is Diekman. Smith and Reed Foley are pretty good. Tonkin and Ramirez got off to bad starts but are pitching well right now. (Tonkin's start was actually close to his norm.)
Tonkin has been stellar since getting picked up by the Yankees. He was really bad for the Mets.

Ramirez got picked up by the Dodgers and has been solid for them.

I am pretty sure Lopez will get picked up by someone and finish the year strongly as well.

Meanwhile Seth Lugo is 9-1 with an ERA of 2.13 for the Royals. Showing again he was meant to be a starting pitcher.

The Mets other long term long relief guy/spot starter, Trevor Williams, is also starting for the Nationals full time. He is 5-0 with a 2.22 ERA. Though he went on the IL just before the series with the Mets started.

It remains hard to be a Mets fan.

Last edited:
Tonkin has been stellar since getting picked up by the Yankees. He was really bad for the Mets.

Ramirez got picked up by the Yankees and has been solid for them.

I am pretty sure Lopez will get picked up by someone and finish the year strongly as well.

Meanwhile Seth Lugo is 9-1 with an ERA of 2.13 for the Royals. Showing again he was meant to be a starting pitcher.

The Mets other long term long relief guy/spot starter, Trevor Williams, is also starting for the Nationals full time. He is 5-0 with a 2.22 ERA. Though he went on the IL just before the series with the Mets started.

It remains hard to be a Mets fan.
Ramirez is on the Dodgers.

Ramirez is on the Dodgers.
Correct. He just pitched against the Mets a week or so ago. And shut them down. Would not be surprised if the Mets get him back again at some point this year.

He is out of options and if/when the Dodgers need someone else, he will probably get DWAed again.

The Mets have found this year's "where did he come from?" player with Dedniel Nunez​

Starling Marte is an awful right fielder. I think he lets a catchable pop up land in front of him most games.

He can still hit but wow, he is a huge liability out there sleeping in right field.

Well the Phillies scored 6 of their runs in one inning. We won the rest of the game 2-1!

Unfortunately that is not a 'thing'. :(

"Francisco Alvarez's return from the IL, originally set for early next week, is likely to be delayed for a non-injury reason. He had to fly home to Venezuela for a family matter. Edwin Díaz, meanwhile, remains on track. He's scheduled to make one more rehab outing Sunday in BK."

Tim Kurkjian is one of the ESPN broadcasters in London for the Mets-Phillies series.

Michael Kay was making fun of the Philly Phanatic, and Kurkjian said that he spent $200,000 so his kid could attend Syracuse just to be Otto the Orange for 4 years.

Where is MLB going with the London series? Is baseball suddenly as popular there as NFL football? Are the fans in the stands mostly Americans or are there enough Brit fans to fill that stadium? The conversion sure must be expensive and the British soccer team is displaced while they are doing this.

While I'm at it, where is the NFL going with taking full advantage of the NFL's popularity? How soon will there be a London team or European division?

If baseball used soccer announcers...

If baseball used soccer announcers...

I still want to know precisely what ""squeaky bum time" means.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom