2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

I have no problem with Kay "standing up for his booth" and agree it was bad form to run the ad during his show. I will say that Gary, Keith and Ron get me through the 12-27 streaks with the Mets and make the 15-4 streaks that much more fun.

I have no problem with Kay "standing up for his booth" and agree it was bad form to run the ad during his show. I will say that Gary, Keith and Ron get me through the 12-27 streaks with the Mets and make the 15-4 streaks that much more fun.
Yes, I don't care if Kay wants to defend his crew against the Mets announcers. I am pretty sure no one in the world that thinks the Yankee team doing their games is the best in baseball, even Kay, who apparently had his massive ego hurt listening to that commericial.

No dig to the Yankee crew. They do a fine job.

The Mets group just operates at a different level. They tell it like it is (clearly unlike Kay), they know the game really well and they have a unique chemistry that makes games fun to watch even when the Mets are playing poorly.

Kudos to Mets management for letting their announcers criticize the Mets players, coaches and front office when it is called for. I think the thing that makes the Mets announcers really good is that they are fair.

When something bad happens, they will call it out. They do not make excuses. I think they know the Mets fan base has been through a lot and don't want to hear a bunch of BS when things are going bad. So they tell it like it is and we Mets fans appreciate the honesty.

The Mets get off to a 6-1 start but stop scoring and the bullpen, short of two big arms, can't hold the lead.

No Raley, No Diaz, No Reid-Foley, No Smith. No Bueno.

Another game essentially given away because of poor depth with the relief pitchers.

Losing Raley, Smith and Reid-Foley hurt a lot. No knows talks about the loss of Nate Lavander, a gifted young lefty reliever who was expected to be a big addition to the bullpen but blew out his elbow near the start of the season starting games in Syracuse (what the hell was that all about?).

Add in losing Diaz for 10 games and a starting staff that walks a lot of people and gets so deep in pitch counts most struggle to finish 5 innings and a bad situation becomes a nightmare.

What can be done?

They can trade a starting pitcher for a relief pitcher.

Senga looks like he might actually come back and pitch after the all star game. That would make trading another starter easier. But the Mets have Scott and Butto down in Syracuse, pitching really well in a hitter dominated International League. They are ready to contribute now. Megill was just sent down to get an extra reliever on the roster but he will be back shortly.

Maybe the worst part of Diaz getting suspended is that the Mets cannot replace him on the roster so they have to put a man short for 10 games in a row.

One consideration regarding Scott is that the most innings he has pitched in the pros is 87 innings last season. He is at 70 or so now. I think they have rules to limit how many more innings you can pitch for young pitchers than you have in the past to try and limit arm injuries.

Might be you can go up 20% more than your previous high. Anyway, I suspect Scott will be capped somewhere around 90 innings. Maybe 100. He might only have 30 more innings left.

I haven't seen anyone write about it but it seems like all his recent starts with the Syracuse Mets end with 4 innings pitched. I think this is being done to try and keep him in a regular rotation as long into the season as possible.

In theory, the Mets could call up some relief pitchers from Syracuse but I don't think any are ready for MLB ball right now. We need better arms.

The other option is to convert a starting pitcher or two to a reliever. I believe Scott was a relief pitcher at Florida. It might make sense to switch him back to relief pitching for the rest of the season so the 20 or 30 innings he has left could be stretched into 20 or 30 appearances. I think he might contribute more to the team this season doing that than being a 4 inning starter for 6 starts or so.

Butto or Megill could also be converted into relief pitchers.

Megill seems like he might be best suited for it given he can really throw hard and it seems like he really struggles to put together 6 or 7 solid innings. Somewhere along the line, he seems to have a meltdown and 4 runs are on the board before he settles back in.

I don't care which way they go but I think I have seen enough of these waiver wave retreads coming up and getting bombed. Enough is enough. 5 or 10 games have been given away because of these clowns pitching in close games.

No mas. Either trade for relievers or convert some of the extra starters to relief. And do it today.

6-9...5-10...9-7...

What do Mets fans think?

Another crazy game. Nice comeback at the end to get it into extra innings, where there was another explosion of runs in the 10th.

Weird game. Manaea was terrific. With solid defense, he gives up zero runs. Ended up getting through 7 innings, which is huge for a team with a troubled bullpen.

The Mets defense has generally been good this year but not last night. Alonso made a bad error. Lindor booted a ball for an error and blew another play when he took his time and looked home instead of throwing to first right away with Abrams running.

Vientos did not charge a grounder and the runner beat his throw on what should have been a routine out. Later Mark made a bad throw to the 2B on what should have been a double play that caused a late throw to first. And then he got a grounder hit right to him but it got caught in his glove and he was not able to even make a throw.

Bader is a fine center fielder but when there is a ball hit to a gap near the wall, he seems very uncomfortable and rarely makes the catch on balls he has gotten to. It happened again last night and was costly. Not just to the team; Bader hit the base of the outfield wall with his back and was shaken up, leaving the game shortly afterwards. Hope he is okay. Not a fan of the outfield wall at the stadium Washington play in. It is a scoreboard so there is no pad and the only thing protecting the players from hitting it is a black cyclone fence. It is pretty worthless for that and really seems to be there more to protect the scoreboard than the players. I hope they rip that out and put in a padded fence soon before more players get hurt due to a stupid design.

For a long time this season, the Big 4 veterans (Lindor, Alonso, Nimmo and McNeil have all struggled. All were hitting around .200 near the start of June. The first three all got hot around then and all of them have brought their batting averages to the .250 range, which has been a big reason for the Met resurgence. Only McNeil remains struggling. His versatility and injuries to others might be the only reasons he is still regularly playing. I hope he gets it together soon because it looks like Iglesias is here to stay.

Improved depth is making an impact at other positions. Torrens is really playing well and has made a good contribution both on offense and on defense.

But the turnaround centers around Alvarez. His impact on the pitching staff is big. Manaea has an ERA above 5 not pitching to Alvarez, and below 2 while pitching to him. I am confident most if not all the other pitchers do better pitching when he is catching. Not sure if it is his enthusiasm, his acumen calling pitches, his ability to frame pitches, his impact shutting down the running game of other teams (no one gets a big lead when he is catching). It is probably a little of all of these things.

Add in his impact on offense, where he is hitting really well and you get a really impactful player. Let's hope he stays healthy the rest of the season and shows what he can do.

Glad they brought up Butto. He should have been up earlier but better late than never. Scott pitches tonight. I doubt they let him pitch more than 5 innings so brace for impact the last 4. Probably going to need Howser to pitch most of it and maybe let Reed handle the ninth.

Man, Nunez has been a godsend. That said, Diaz can't get back soon enough. I think there are 4 more games in his suspension.

Last edited:
Mets board seems to think 3. 2 Yankees 3 Astros 2 Wash. thats 7. So maybe 3 is right.

Not sure if Hauser is good to go, he pitched 2 Sunday but maybe. Nunez probably done for the next 2-3 after back to backs.

It doesn't help that Diaz is out for a mostly no rest set of games.

Mets board seems to think 3. 2 Yankees 3 Astros 2 Wash. thats 7. So maybe 3 is right.

Not sure if Hauser is good to go, he pitched 2 Sunday but maybe. Nunez probably done for the next 2-3 after back to backs.

It doesn't help that Diaz is out for a mostly no rest set of games.
3 games left on the suspension makes sense. As I think about it, pretty sure the Mets announcers said 4 in the pregame discussions.

So he is out for the game tonight against the Nats, then for the afternoon game tomorrow (11:05 am start!), then the first game of the series against the Pirates.

Encouraging to hear Senga is will make his first rehab start today.

If he is right for the second half of the season, things could get very interesting.

Also wanted to give a shout out to Brandon Nimmo. There have been a bunch of players ho have stepped up in this turnaround but no one has had more big hits that he has. It was especially impressive what he did last night. Fainted in his hotel room, didn't start the game as a precaution.

Comes in when Bader gets banged up and gets two crucial hits that turned the ballgame. He has done that a lot this season.

I think he is up to 52 RBIs, which leads the team. A bunch of those RBIs have come batting leadoff.

When a game is close and we really need a clutch hit, I would rather have Brandon up than anyone else on the team.

Last edited:
One other thing. After the team meeting that happened after the horrible loss where Lopez had his major meltdown. the Mets started doing something new whenever someone gets a hit.

The player who gets the hit makes a hand gesture. It is like they are holding something and slapping it with a forward and a backward slap.

What does it mean?

This is apparently a secret. The players aren't saying.

This is what some folks on Reddit think.

Reddit - Dive into anything

Another crazy game. Nice comeback at the end to get it into extra innings, where there was another explosion of runs in the 10th.

Weird game. Manaea was terrific. With solid defense, he gives up zero runs. Ended up getting through 7 innings, which is huge for a team with a troubled bullpen.

The Mets defense has generally been good this year but not last night. Alonso made a bad error. Lindor booted a ball for an error and blew another play when he took his time and looked home instead of throwing to first right away with Abrams running.

Vientos did not charge a grounder and the runner beat his throw on what should have been a routine out. Later Mark made a bad throw to the 2B on what should have been a double play that caused a late throw to first. And then he got a grounder hit right to him but it got caught in his glove and he was not able to even make a throw.

Bader is a fine center fielder but when there is a ball hit to a gap near the wall, he seems very uncomfortable and rarely makes the catch on balls he has gotten to. It happened again last night and was costly. Not just to the team; Bader hit the base of the outfield wall with his back and was shaken up, leaving the game shortly afterwards. Hope he is okay. Not a fan of the outfield wall at the stadium Washington play in. It is a scoreboard so there is no pad and the only thing protecting the players from hitting it is a black cyclone fence. It is pretty worthless for that and really seems to be there more to protect the scoreboard than the players. I hope they rip that out and put in a padded fence soon before more players get hurt due to a stupid design.

For a long time this season, the Big 4 veterans (Lindor, Alonso, Nimmo and McNeil have all struggled. All were hitting around .200 near the start of June. The first three all got hot around then and all of them have brought their batting averages to the .250 range, which has been a big reason for the Met resurgence. Only McNeil remains struggling. His versatility and injuries to others might be the only reasons he is still regularly playing. I hope he gets it together soon because it looks like Iglesias is here to stay.

Improved depth is making an impact at other positions. Torrens is really playing well and has made a good contribution both on offense and on defense.

But the turnaround centers around Alvarez. His impact on the pitching staff is big. Manaea has an ERA above 5 not pitching to Alvaez, and below 2 while pitching to him. I am confident most if not all the other pitchers do better pitching when he is catching. Not sure if it is his enthusiasm, his acumen calling pitches, his ability to frame pitchers, his impact shutting down the running game of other teams (no one gets a big lead when he is catching). It is probably a little of all of these things.

Add in his impact on offense, where he is hitting really well and you get a really impactful player. Let's hope he stays healthy the rest of the season and shows what he can do.

Glad they brought up Butto. He should have been up earlier but better late than never. Scott pitches tonight. I doubt they let him pitch more than 5 innings so brace for impact the last 4. Probably going to need Howser to pitch most of it and maybe let Reed handle the ninth.

Man, Nunez has been a godsend. That said, Diaz can't get back soon enough. I think there are 4 more games in his suspension.
"But the turnaround centers around Alvarez. His impact on the pitching staff is big. Manaea has an ERA above 5 not pitching to Alvaez, and below 2 while pitching to him. I am confident most if not all the other pitchers do better pitching when he is catching. Not sure if it is his enthusiasm, his acumen calling pitches, his ability to frame pitchers, his impact shutting down the running game of other teams (no one gets a big lead when he is catching). It is probably a little of all of these things."

It's like all of a sudden Roy Campanella is our catcher.

My proposal: go to the 6 man rotation they've been talking about but use rotation pitchers who are 2-3 from their last start and their next start to work an inning or two of relief. That's what they did in the days before bullpens: if a starter faltered, one of the other starters would come in - an not miss his start because of it.

My proposal: go to the 6 man rotation they've been talking about but use rotation pitchers who are 2-3 from their last start and their next start to work an inning or two of relief. That's what they did in the days before bullpens: if a starter faltered, one of the other starters would come in - a not miss his start because of it.
I agree. Would assume Senga, assuming he makes it back to the rotation, will continue to be treated with kid gloves and not be allowed to pitch every 5 days. I think that was the plan for this season even before he got hurt. Also, we have already talked about Scott and his total innings pitched limitation. A six man rotation would help on this front. Pretty sure Quintana and Manaea have also done better with an extra day of rest.

With Senga hopefully soon on board, this is what we have for a rotation:

Quintana-Manaea-McGill-Scott-Butto-Senga-Severino-Peterson

Leaves room to trade one for a reliever. There is another starter available, who could also work from the bullpen. If two get hurt, Houser gets another chance.

Looks like it might be Butto and Peterson becoming relievers if we keep things internal, which I would prefer. Butto has already been a big help. Adding a lefty and Diaz should really help a lot.

Last edited:
So both pitchers are pitching shut outs through 6 innings. Mannea has thrown 89 pitches, gotten 18 guys out and given up 5 baserunners. Ortis has thrown 86 pitches and gotten out 18 guys and given up 4 baserunners. They both get yanked.

Modern baseball :oops::confused::(

The game yesterday was well played and entertaining.

Pitchers dual.

The Mets take the lead.

The Pirates take it back. Against Nunez and Diaz no less.

The Mets take it back. Lindor with the big hit.

Diaz redeems himself with a solid bottom of the ninth.

It was announced that the Mets lone representative in the All Star game (for now anyway) is Pete Alonso. Hard to understand. Lindor and Nimmo have been far more impactful and deserving IMHO. Pete has had a decent year hitting but has been the Mets worst hitter in clutch situations and been poor on defense.

I really think if Mendoza moved him to ninth in the batting order, and he hit was put in clutch situations less often, his stats would be a lot better (and the Mets would score more runs). Putting someone who fails so alarmingly often with men in scoring position in the cleanup spot is insane.

Hopefully Brandon and Francisco make the team as injury replacements.

If you are a Senga fan living in CNY, Tuesday is a day you want to go to the ballpark. Kodai will be making a rehab start in Syracuse. Guessing that will result in a nice attendance bump, which is needed. The Syracuse Mets are still struggling to draw good crowds despite having a terrific record this season.

If you want to keep a AAA baseball team in Syracuse, get your butt to the game tomorrow and to many others!

right now he is fishing again.

Need JD to get thru this slump and not let it drag out for the month.

Those dang shoes.

right now he is fishing again.

Need JD to get thru this slump and not let it drag out for the month.

Those dang shoes.
I am not sure Pete is ever going to understand the strike zone, plate discipline and being patient. The most important the at bat, the worse he is. He has occasionally gotten a big hit but way too often, when it is an important at bat, he swings at pitches out of the strike zone he can't possibly do damage with. And takes pitches down the middle. He makes it way too easy on pitchers to get him out.

I think DJ Stewart is someone the Mets need to think about replacing. He has been really bad all season. And Jeff McNeil. He has been lost all season. And he was lost all last season too, other than a strong September.

I am not sure Pete is ever going to understand the strike zone, plate discipline and being patient. The most important the at bat, the worse he is. He has occasionally gotten a big hit but way too often, when it is an important at bat, he swings at pitches out of the strike zone he can't possibly do damage with. And takes pitches down the middle. He makes it way too easy on pitchers to get him out.

I think DJ Stewart is someone the Mets need to think about replacing. He has been really bad all season. And Jeff McNeil. He has been lost all season. And he was lost all last season too, other than a strong September.

He seems to be getting more hits now but fewer home runs. It's about selection, not cutting down on your swing.

The game yesterday was well played and entertaining.

Pitchers dual.

The Mets take the lead.

The Pirates take it back. Against Nunez and Diaz no less.

The Mets take it back. Lindor with the big hit.

Diaz redeems himself with a solid bottom of the ninth.

It was announced that the Mets lone representative in the All Star game (for now anyway) is Pete Alonso. Hard to understand. Lindor and Nimmo have been far more impactful and deserving IMHO. Pete has had a decent year hitting but has been the Mets worst hitter in clutch situations and been poor on defense.

I really think if Mendoza moved him to ninth in the batting order, and he hit was put in clutch situations less often, his stats would be a lot better (and the Mets would score more runs). Putting someone who fails so alarmingly often with men in scoring position in the cleanup spot is insane.

Hopefully Brandon and Francisco make the team as injury replacements.

If you are a Senga fan living in CNY, Tuesday is a day you want to go to the ballpark. Kodai will be making a rehab start in Syracuse. Guessing that will result in a nice attendance bump, which is needed. The Syracuse Mets are still struggling to draw good crowds despite having a terrific record this season.

If you want to keep a AAA baseball team in Syracuse, get your butt to the game tomorrow and to many others!
Mets attendance is an interesting piece. The last excuse was always that the team wasn't good, but as you pointed out that is not the case this year and numbers appear to be the same in the games I've been to.

Must drive the leaders crazy.

Mets attendance is an interesting piece. The last excuse was always that the team wasn't good, but as you pointed out that is not the case this year and numbers appear to be the same in the games I've been to.

Must drive the leaders crazy.
I checked and they are 15th our of 20 teams in attendance this year to date. In past years, I believe they have been last or second last consistently. So there has been some improvement.

Hopefully the second half of the season will see a surge in attendance and Syracuse will at least get to middle of the pack in the league. I think the number of major promotions/give away tickets/free attendance have gone done dramatically so the numbers they are posting now are really tickets sold. That has to help the bottom line some.

To see the attendance numbers, scroll down to the bottom. They have it listed under League Fielding.

Weird.

They aren't very close to the 14th team but I was surprised to see them ahead of Louisville and Scranton Wilkes-Barre.

Last edited:
i

PiratesBottom 6th

C. SCOTT PITCHING FOR NYM

Triolo grounded out to third.

McCutchen flies out to left.

E. ORZE PITCHING FOR NYM

Reynolds walked.

Cruz singled to left, Reynolds to third.

Tellez reached on infield single to third, Reynolds scored, Cruz to second.

A. HOUSER PITCHING FOR NYM

N. Gonzales doubled to right, Tellez scored on fielding error by right fielder McNeil and Cruz scored, N. Gonzales to third.

N. Gonzales scored on Houser wild pitch.

Palacios homered to right (374 feet).

Suwinski flied out to right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom