2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

I still want to know precisely what ""squeaky bum time" means.

What does 'squeaky bum time' mean?

In October 2022, the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) added 15 football-themed phrases to the lexicon, including Ferguson’s phrase “squeaky bum time”.

According to OED, the term means: "British colloquial (originally and chiefly in sporting contexts) a particularly tense period of time, esp. one leading up to the climax of a competition or event.

"The term was coined by Sir Alex Ferguson, then manager of the Association Football club Manchester United, with reference to his team challenging for the title in the closing stages of the English Premier League.

"The phrase has been explained as a reference to the sound of someone shifting restlessly on plastic seating during tense closing stages of a contest."

More simply put, the phrase is used to describe a tense climax, especially in a sporting event.

What does 'squeaky bum time' mean?

In October 2022, the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) added 15 football-themed phrases to the lexicon, including Ferguson’s phrase “squeaky bum time”.

According to OED, the term means: "British colloquial (originally and chiefly in sporting contexts) a particularly tense period of time, esp. one leading up to the climax of a competition or event.

"The term was coined by Sir Alex Ferguson, then manager of the Association Football club Manchester United, with reference to his team challenging for the title in the closing stages of the English Premier League.

"The phrase has been explained as a reference to the sound of someone shifting restlessly on plastic seating during tense closing stages of a contest."

More simply put, the phrase is used to describe a tense climax, especially in a sporting event.

Thanks for the much-needed clarification. There could be plenty of squeaky bum time at the Dome in the coming years.

Mets in Baseball history:

They have records back to 1912, (why 1912? I don't know), and that Mets win in London over the Phillies was the first time an MLB game had ended with a 2-2-3 double play. :confused:

Since 1901 two teams have have hit 50 points higher on the road than than at home. They are playing each other tonight. :confused::confused:

2-1 over Padres. Manaea got 15 guys, gave up 5 baserunners and one scored. The bullpen gave up nothing in 4 innings and Diaz finally got a save. 7 of 10, baby!

We talked about Brett Baty and how the Mets might have rushed him to MLB before he was ready. He only had 31 games in AAA in his career when he was sent down to Syracuse last month.

How has he done since his demotion? Pretty good. He is hitting .519!

The S Mets are home right now. Might not be a bad time to stop by the ball park and see him while he is still here. Too bad the Mets rushed Alvarez to NY so quickly. Looks like he could have used some more time in the minors to get ready.

We talked about Brett Baty and how the Mets might have rushed him to MLB before he was ready. He only had 31 games in AAA in his career when he was sent down to Syracuse last month.

How has he done since his demotion? Pretty good. He is hitting .519!

The S Mets are home right now. Might not be a bad time to stop by the ball park and see him while he is still here. Too bad the Mets rushed Alvarez to NY so quickly. Looks like he could have used some more time in the minors to get ready.

In my experience, on a hot summer night, the coolest place in Syracuse is the upper deck of our ballpark on the third base side. The sun is behind you and whatever breeze there is will be felt up there.

Well that was fun. Mets 14-2 Rangers (Jun 17, 2024) Box Score - ESPN

We've now hit double figures in two straight games. I finally feel hot. We've now won 6 in a row and 10 of 12 but for most of that stretch were were grinding out close wins. Now we're clobbering teams - good teams. Hot teams are teams that are scoring lots of runs. It enables you to overcome any failures or mistakes. The batting averages in our box score are less embarrassing.

And how about this stat they just announced on the Mets post game show: The Mets are 17-30 when Francisco Alvarez doesn't play and 17-1 when he does. 17-1! Stay healthy, Francisco!

Well that was fun. Mets 14-2 Rangers (Jun 17, 2024) Box Score - ESPN

We've now hit double figures in two straight games. I finally feel hot. We've now won 6 in a row and 10 of 12 but for most of that stretch were were grinding out close wins. Now we're clobbering teams - good teams. Hot teams are teams that are scoring lots of runs. It enables you to overcome any failures or mistakes. The batting averages in our box score are less embarrassing.

And how about this stat they just announced on the Mets post game show: The Mets are 17-30 when Francisco Alvarez doesn't play and 17-1 when he does. 17-1! Stay healthy, Francisco!
It is good to see what happens when everyone is hitting. Even getting good pitching now.

My guess is that the Mets are actually 17-7 when Francisco plays since they are actually 34-37 right now but even with that correction, that is an amazing impact. I am sure the team era is significantly lower in the games he catches.

Also think Torrens is significantly better than Nido and especially Narvaez, who was spectacularly bad this season. Je looks like a great pickup.

Let’s keep it going today!

It is good to see what happens when everyone is hitting. Even getting good pitching now.

My guess is that the Mets are actually 17-7 when Francisco plays since they are actually 34-37 right now but even with that correction, that is an amazing impact. I am sure the team era is significantly lower in the games he catches.

Also think Torrens is significantly better than Nido and especially Narvaez, who was spectacularly bad this season. Je looks like a great pickup.

Let’s keep it going today!

I heard 17-1 but 17-7 makes more sense. Let's win 71% the rest of the way, baby!

Nah... I think it was Grimace!

Todd and Jerry did a pretty good breakdown of Grimace and his pitching a few days ago.

Todd noted that Grimace throws right handed but has a left handed glove that he wears on the wrong hand.

Jerry noted that without a neck, Grimace cannot shake the catcher off with runners on base. If he did, it would require him shaking his entire body, which is a balk,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom