2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

Rooting for the Mets is fun again!

Who were those imposters the first week of the season?

The Mets lost to the Royals 11-7 today. Manaea was completely ineffective and unfortunately was left in long enough to give up 9 hits and 8 runs in 3 2/3 innings. Gotta manage starting pitchers better than that in the future.

Alonso had 2 HRs today and as he often does, has gone from completely lost to red hot overnight. Consistency on a day to day basis is not his strength.

But it is great to see him playing well.

Marte had a good game and the Mets put up enough runs to get a win. But Manaea was really bad and the Mets brought in their bad relievers to finish things up and some of them also struggled.

The good news is that the tier 1 relievers were not used and most should be available tomorrow. Butto gets the start and will be asked to stop this hot hitting Royals lineup. Bobby Witt Jr looks great and the Mets have struggled to get him out.

Hopefully Butto has his best stuff and pitches well.

The Mets lost to the Royals 11-7 today. Manaea was completely ineffective and unfortunately was left in long enough to give up 9 hits and 8 runs in 3 2/3 innings. Gotta manage starting pitchers better than that in the future.

Alonso had 2 HRs today and as he often does, has gone from completely lost to red hot overnight. Consistency on a day to day basis is not his strength.

But it is great to see him playing well.

Marte had a good game and the Mets put up enough runs to get a win. But Manaea was really bad and the Mets brought in their bad relievers to finish things up and some of them also struggled.

The good news is that the tier 1 relievers were not used and most should be available tomorrow. Butto gets the start and will be asked to stop this hot hitting Royals lineup. Bobby Witt Jr looks great and the Mets have struggled to get him out.

Hopefully Butto has his best stuff and pitches well.

Great stuff from Butto again today

Great stuff from Butto again today
Agree. His fastball had movement, his slider was okay and his changeup pretty dominant. The guy is not afraid and has talent.

I hope he is in the rotation to stay.

We had a good starting pitcher and our good relievers available and that usually means good things for the Mets. Frustrating to have so many scoring chances that could not be cashed in.

Ragans was impressive for the Royals. He has good stuff and throws hard. Props to the KC LF, who made a great play to throw out Marte in a close play at the plate. I hope Salvador Perez, one of the great catchers in the game today, is going to be able to play again soon.

Pete choked in another good RBI spot but worked out a walk to start the game winning rally. He is for the most part showing more plate discipline, which I think has prevented him from becoming a great player. Hope it continues.

Bader got the big hit to get the Mets in front. It was a lucky infield hit but given how many times the Mets had threatened to score, they were due to get a run one way or another. Harrison now has his batting average up to .302.

The Pirates are next. Should be an entertaining series.

Excitng to see the Mets win because of a double steal, (and then another steal). The team two years ago played aggressively and smart and that's what this team is doing! I remember in '22 saying "That's a game they wouldn't have won last year". I find myself saying it again this year.

And, by the way, we've gone from 0-5 to 8-8. I feel like we've surfaced and can breathe now.

Excitng to see the Mets win because of a double steal, (and then another steal). The team two years ago played aggressively and smart and that's what this team is doing! I remember in '22 saying "That's a game they wouldn't have won last year". I find myself saying it again this year.

And, by the way, we've gone from 0-5 to 8-8. I feel like we've surfaced and can breathe now.
Agree, this team appears to have the same grit and ability to come back as the team from 2022. They don't give up when they fall behind.

Believe the broadcast last night noted the Mets have scored more runs in the eighth inning than any other inning and have the most in MLB in that inning. By a large margin.

It was a nice win last night. Liked the aggressive base running. Getting big hits from unexpected sources a lot. Bader in particular has found his swing and is even hitting in clutch situations.

Smith, Raley, Ottovino and even Diaz were used to get the win last night. I get the first 3 but why Diaz in the ninth with a 3 run lead?

I suspect not having him tonight is going to be a bad thing. Along with the other reliable relievers we have.

The Mets have not been getting many innings from their starters and it is putting acute pressure on the relievers. At least there is a day off coming on Thursday.

Really need Quintana to pitch 7 innings today to give the rest of the pitchers some rest. Hope he has it in him.

The Mets won again to get in the black for the year at 9-8. Their bullpen pitched the last four innings without giving up a run, despite not using any of their top 3 relievers. They've now won four series in a row against teams that were a combined 30-13 when those series started. The key to the 2022 Mets was that they kept winning series: they were never really 'hot' in the sense of having a long winning streak. They just kept grinding it out. Losses didn't get them off track.

It would be nice that as some point one of the nimmo/lindor/mcneil/aslonso actually gets hot and not just a 2-3 day string.

The Mets have given up the following number of hits in the past 4 games:

3, 13 (bad day), 3, 3 and 5.

This is against the Royals and Pirates, who have been piling up hits and runs.

Reid Garrett continues to be a revelation.

Baty left the game with a hamstring issue. He has been very good hitting and in the field. I hope his injury is a minor one.

Sevy pitches this afternoon. If anyone on this staff is capable of going 7 innings, it is probably him. It would be nice if he could do this.

It will also be nice to have tomorrow off. This team is tired.

Pirates fan coming in peace - can someone explain how a professional team plays so poorly in just fundamental, basic baseball as the Pirates have the last 2 games? The managing is - whoa.

that said the starting pitching for the Pirates has been tough. Jones has unreal stuff.

The Mets have given up the following number of hits in the past 4 games:

3, 13 (bad day), 3, 3 and 5.

This is against the Royals and Pirates, who have been piling up hits and runs.

Reid Garrett continues to be a revelation.

Baty left the game with a hamstring issue. He has been very good hitting and in the field. I hope his injury is a minor one.

Sevy pitches this afternoon. If anyone on this staff is capable of going 7 innings, it is probably him. It would be nice if he could do this.

It will also be nice to have tomorrow off. This team is tired.

And this is without Senga and Megill.

By the way, what's up with JD Martinez? Is he injured or just outa shape? At 36 he can't afford the latter.

And this is without Senga and Megill.

By the way, what's up with JD Martinez? Is he injured or just outa shape? At 36 he can't afford the latter.

He has had a bad back for years. They don't get better with age. One of the reasons he was left unsigned for so long.

He had a similar problem early last year and got a cortisone shot and it went away. I think the situation is worse this year because he missed all of spring training. Maybe we will see him briefly in Syracuse in a week or so. Though I think they prefer to keep him in a warm climate while he preps.

Hopefully Senga and Megill will be able to contribute at some point. Shoulder problems are tough to recover from for starting pitchers. The chance for setbacks and recurrences is very high.

The Mets have been fun to watch since early season stumble. I just can’t shake the feeling that they will break my heart…again.

It was another good win. Severino was solid and even got through the sixth inning. Good defense and good pitching are a good combo. Timely hitting helps. HRs by Marte and Bader were really good to see. Taylor has quietly improved his BA to to .341.

Travel day tomorrow as the team heads out west.

3 game weekend series against the Dodgers. Then a 3 game series with the Giants in SF.

Then another Thursday travel day and a couple of series at home against the Cardinals and Cubbies.

The Dodgers are 12-8 but after a great start they have been struggling some. Lots of injuries, mostly to pitchers. They are 5-5 in their last 10.

The Giants are 8-11 and also not playing great. This appears to be a good time to play these teams.

The old days the west coast trip was in a different slow of the season.. Getting it done now, lets hope its a good time. Maybe Pete gets hot for 3 games again out there.

At least the bull pen gets some time to get ready and lets hope they have a reason to use them to defend a lead or 2.

The old days the west coast trip was in a different slow of the season.. Getting it done now, lets hope its a good time. Maybe Pete gets hot for 3 games again out there.

At least the bull pen gets some time to get ready and lets hope they have a reason to use them to defend a lead or 2.

'a different slow of the season'?

typing is my 3rd language. with the new scheduling the wc trip is at a different part of the season . good to get LA out of the way early

typing is my 3rd language. with the new scheduling the wc trip is at a different part of the season . good to get LA out of the way early

I type really fast - if you don't count the corrections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom