2024 PGA Tour | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

2024 PGA Tour

I watched almost all day from the time I got up. Enjoyed DeChambeau struggling, think Tiger should just hang it up, but I liked the course, especially when the conditions were challenging. Loved the Postage Stamp.
Problem is everyone in Tiger's life is a yes man on the payroll. Nobody with the stroke to talk to him honestly about it being over.

Problem is everyone in Tiger's life is a yes man on the payroll. Nobody with the stroke to talk to him honestly about it being over.
Why should he not play, if he wants to? He is using golf to provide him with some goals as he continues rehabbing. To my knowledge, him playing on exemptions doesn’t impact anyone else’s opportunities.

Why should he not play, if he wants to? He is using golf to provide him with some goals as he continues rehabbing. To my knowledge, him playing on exemptions doesn’t impact anyone else’s opportunities.
You may be right. Same with John Daly, who I think is just there for the pubs.

I suppose Rory will hightail it out of Scotland before speaking to the media... again.

You're correct he does have an exemption until age 60 in the Open Championship. It's just sad to see him out there stumbling around like Mets era Willie Mays out there. The only major he doesn't have the past champ exception is the US Open. He needed an exemption from the USGA this year. I wonder if it keeps going like this will the USGA at some point save him from himself.

You're correct he does have an exemption until age 60 in the Open Championship. It's just sad to see him out there stumbling around like Mets era Willie Mays out there. The only major he doesn't have the past champ exception is the US Open. He needed an exemption from the USGA this year. I wonder if it keeps going like this will the USGA at some point save him from himself.
The USGA gave him a permanent exemption last month.

I think Tiger should play as long as he wants but he needs to stop being in featured groups and constantly shown on the range when contenders are on the course. Make a Tiger feed on the or E+ and let everyone else watch a normal broadcast.

I think Tiger should play as long as he wants but he needs to stop being in featured groups and constantly shown on the range when contenders are on the course. Make a Tiger feed on the or E+ and let everyone else watch a normal broadcast.
Agree 100% with this. I had it on while I was working this morning and it seemed like he was being shown every time I looked it up, even at 10 over

Sky Sports feed on Peacock 10x better than NBC broadcast

Nothing against Shane Lowry, but I'm going to need Xander or Scheffler to make a run to really get into this.

Nothing against Shane Lowry, but I'm going to need Xander or Scheffler to make a run to really get into this.

I've never had anything against him before this week but he's been an unbearable douchebag. They saved his azz from a double bogey! He's been a huge jerk to people around him since Thursday.

that back nine today was tough. Watching pros struggle to get to par 3s and 4s was fun.

I've never had anything against him before this week but he's been an unbearable douchebag. They saved his azz from a double bogey! He's been a huge jerk to people around him since Thursday.
Shane????

I'm a MciLroy guy, but I have also have always rooted for Billy Horschel - though I cant remember why. Would luv to see Billy win.

Scottie is great, but I don't think his putter turns around and can he keep hitting those fantastic bunker shots? Xander is a real threat. I expect Burns, Lawrence, Henley to fade.

I think Rose and Lowry make a run down the stretch.

Should be great.

I'm a MciLroy guy, but I have also have always rooted for Billy Horschel - though I cant remember why. Would luv to see Billy win.

Scottie is great, but I don't think his putter turns around and can he keep hitting those fantastic bunker shots? Xander is a real threat. I expect Burns, Lawrence, Henley to fade.

I think Rose and Lowry make a run down the stretch.

Should be great.
With so many players tightly grouped I think it’s like 90% we get a playoff. It would be aggregate 4 holes. 1,2,17, 18. Then if still tied sudden death.

With Lawrence in the lead (ranked #98 in the world, but realistically closer to #110-#120 when you consider LIV) this has the feel of the British Open's in the 2000-2010 Era, where some random guy won (or was strongly in contention) or some past star randomly had a great week.

In the 15 year period between 1999-2011 no major had the randomness of the Open. I liked some variance, some good stories, but there was just too much in that era. (Although Tom Watson year was great)

#4. Justin Rose #830

#1. Lawrie #151
#2. Van De Velde #126.

#2. Nick Fasth #108 (lost to Duval)

#2. Elkington #114 (lost in playoff to Els)
#2. Levet #131 (lost in playoff)
#5. Evans #189

#1. Ben Curtis #396

#1. Todd Hamilton #56

#3. Andres Romero #113

#3. Greg Norman #646
#5. Chris Wood #1425

#2. Tom Watson #1374
#3. Chris Wood #143

#1. Louis Oosthuizen #54

#1. Darren Clarke #111
#5. Chad Campbell #196

11 players over a 13 year period that were outside of the world top 100 finished in the top 3.

From 2012-2024 in all majors (not just the Open), I doubt you have 11 total who fit that criteria,

Open is a survive fest. It doesn't require long driving just making putts and chips and even the worst of us can have days of great up and down play.

Have two golfers ever had better years in the same season than Scottie and Xander? Incredible years from them both and they'll be huge favorites to win FedEx, too.

While I was watching the golf today, decided to follow up my point above, regarding sub 100 players and success in the majors.

1999-2011 British Open
Sub 100 in Top 3 - 28% (11 of 39)
Sub 50 Wins - 39% (5 of 13)

2012-2024 (All Majors up to this week)
Sub 100 in Top 3 - 5% (7 of 150)
Sub 50 Wins - 2% (1 of 50)

Things were also distributed much more widely in other majors between 1999 and 2011 (Shawn Micheel for example), but not as much as the Open

---------

Data post 2012 for outside top 100, top 3 finishers.

2023 Masters - 3rd Phil Mickelson #425
2022 PGA - 3rd Mito Pereira #100
2021 PGA - 1st Phil Mickelson #115
2017 British - 3rd Haotong Li #107
2014 US Open - 2nd Erik Compton #187
2013 Masters - 2nd Angel Cabrera #269
2012 US Open - 2nd Michael Thompson #107

Excluded (LIV) ***
2024 US Open - #1 Bryson Dechambeau #124
2023 Masters - #1 Brooks Koepka #118
*** Clearly top 20 players, but LIV impact on WGR.

On the opposite -
The Top 11 in the 2019 Masters were all ranked between #1 and #23 in the world.
The Top 16 were all in the top 50.

Have two golfers ever had better years in the same season than Scottie and Xander? Incredible years from them both and they'll be huge favorites to win FedEx, too.

Depends if you are looking beyond the majors. Xander still only has 2 wins (but both are majors). Scottie has 6. And of course they still have events to play (although once September hits, it will be limited)

Tiger and whomever you want to place as #2 during 2000, would have had better seasons combined (I'll use Vijay since that gives them 13 wins combined and all 4 majors, Singh being 3 wins and 1 major). But if you are using who had the best #2 season (with Xander as the baseline), I'm sure I can find someone to make a discussion with, but it doesn't immediately jump to mind.

I'd probably start with 2004 and Vijay Singh, and see who was #2 that year. Vijay's 2004 season is one of the most underappreciated historically - 9 wins, although only one major.

Last edited:
So, who can we now christen as the best current veteran golfer who has never won a major? Patrick Cantlay? Tony Finau?

Seems like the best candidate, especially if you are using the criteria that they have to still be a relevant top player right now.

The still "regularly" playing pro with the best career resume without a major is probably Lee Westwood, but he is never playing in a major again, nor is he relevant right now.

Using WGR to identify candidates, I bolded the realistic ones as they have been around for close to 10 years.
#4 Aberg
#7 Hovland
#8 Cantlay
#11 Theegala
#12 Fleetwood
#15 Homa
#16 Macintyre
#17 Kim
#18 Finau
#20 Henley
#23 Hatton

Seems like the best candidate, especially if you are using the criteria that they have to still be a relevant top player right now.

The still "regularly" playing pro with the best career resume without a major is probably Lee Westwood, but he is never playing in a major again, nor is he relevant right now.

Using WGR to identify candidates, I bolded the realistic ones as they have been around for close to 10 years.
#4 Aberg
#7 Hovland
#8 Cantlay
#11 Theegala
#12 Fleetwood
#15 Homa
#16 Macintyre
#17 Kim
#18 Finau
#20 Henley
#23 Hatton
Who on that list gets one first and why is it Ludvig?

I excluded Hovland, but in reality Cantlay has only been relevant since 2017, and Victor was relevant by 2019.

Finau has been a top 20 player in the world for 7 full seasons now (2018-2024). But he just seems to lack the IT to win the big one.

Fleetwood has been in the top 20 in the world for most of the time between 2017-2024, although fell a few times. He seemed like a very good major player when he first arrived on the scene, but he has went backwards in that regard since in terms of major rep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom